• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

I know games are gonna get better over the generation graphically like every generation.

Still gulf on where I thought/wanted us to be this many years after the current 360/PS3 gen stated and what we actually are getting in disheartening.

Maybe I just expected to much, but IDK GAF. The more I actually see the closer we get to the launch of next gen the more I think... I've waited 8 years and this is what I get?!?!?

I was thinking the same thing. You're not alone.

FUUUUUUUU

Game over, DF. Game over.

They HAD to have known what the knee-jerk reaction to the video and screenshots they put out. Doctored or not, it is clearly different than ALL other footage of the game we've seen today. This thread started with a lot of people getting tricked by the light (or lack thereof) and pronouncing the XBone the superior version. But now that more videos have been posted there is less and less of it obviously.

I don't know if they have any kind of agenda, but this is the last straw for me, well as the crap/FUD that Leadbetter has been spreading for months. This will be the last time I trust DF for any comparisons.

Oh man that multiplayer footage...holy CRAP what happened to the XB1?

9xBb87a.png

Zero motion blur too in multi for XB1.

yo damn! what takes place, Microsoft. what takes place.

USC-fan

Banned
Pretty impressive how much better the ps4 version runs while pushing 44% higher resolution.

Pretty insane for a launch game.

keuja

For new page. (may have lost some quality making it in gimp?)

Sure thing.

OK comparing apple to apple, the PS4 version looks much better.

So DF applied some type of post processing to the XB1 footage??
It would be a mistake at best or complete dishonesty at worst (that would be crazy actually).

And? Again. I'm not a techy or anything. Why does the weakest one look better than the others? I'm not an idiot. Well, I am. But come on? Really? You don't see the difference? If I was playing this on PC and I turned it up to Ultra settings, but high or medium settings looked better, I'd be confused. How can it just be crushed blacks or contrast settings on a TV. You really don't see the difference between the two? Please explain this to a lay person. How is that dude near-bald in one scene on the PS4 and in the other screen shot he's got textured bald stubble hair or whatever? I know what textures are. Why are textures muddy as shit on the better platforms but clearer on the XO?

Because it's not actually better textures, it's just sharpened with the contrast turned up. What this does, is create the look of more definition by making the lines less smooth and darker. It's like taking a pencil sketch and tracing it with a pen. It looks more "defined" because the lines pop more visually when in reality there's no more detail in the picture than what it started with.

People did the same thing with Skyrim models when it first came out. Upped the sharpening and contrast and labeled them "HD Texture Packs" when in reality there was nothing additional added.

At the end of the day, if that's what you find pleasing to your eye, then who cares about the technical side of it right? If that's what you like, the only downside that I can confidently say you will likely experience personally is that dark scenes that are supposed to only have shadow will actually appear much closer to solid black. It will make dark sections of the game more difficult for you to see.

ZehDon

Gold Member
After watching all of the comparison videos and crawling through all of the screen grabs I can get my hands on, I'm going to have to conclude that Digital Foundry dropped the ball on this one in a big way. No one else is showing the kind of gamma level differences that they're showing. No one. So, unless everyone else is actually throwing around the same video content just edited differently, Digital Foundry are recording deeper blacks than the everyone else and their independent recordings. This puts them as the odd man out. The deeper blacks in the Xbone versions of their content provide a favourable detail environment; the human eye simply perceives more detail in a darker image than in a brighter image, even if there really isn't. They also don't have any Xbone multiplayer footage, and considering it looks... not good, it raises an eyebrow for me. I won't make claims about shilling, but I would suggest they take a more accurate approach next time. Crushed blacks give the illusion of a more detailed image, whereas the PS4 and PC versions provide a more "realistic" IQ in terms of lighting, shadows and overall shading. For a major tech group, it's a pretty big fucking misstep.

Every one else's content, though, displays the PS4 and PC version clearly ahead of the Xbone version, with the aliasing obliterating the IQ of the Xbone version. It's hard to appreciate the finer details when it simply presents as a last gen game to me. The crispness of the PS4 version makes a much larger difference than I would have actually thought, and I'm one of the people trumpeting the difference! The diminished aliasing on PS4 just says "next gen", where as the jaggies on the Xbone make me think it was an Xbox 360 game, even though the model detail and effects are simply not possible on that hardware. It's probably psychological conditioning after seven years with the 360, but it's worth noting. If you told me the Xbone version was the Xbox 360 version with a straight face, I'd probably believe you.

With the Xbone struggling to keep up this early in the game, and titles like Shadowfall advertising what a pure PS4 title is capable of, there cannot be any doubt left that the Xbone is simply out matched in a big, big way.

It's going to be a long ten years at Redmond...

Kibbles

Oh man that multiplayer footage...holy CRAP what happened to the XB1?

9xBb87a.png

Zero motion blur too in multi for XB1.

Ahh that's it, no motion blur. The jaggies were more noticeable in the MP footage than SP and I thought surely that can't be sub 720p. No motion blur makes sense now.

Jhn

What probably happened is that the Xbones for whatever reason still output limited RGB regardless of setting. DF thought it was using full, since that's what they told it to use, and out of fairness dealt with it the same way they did the PS4 footage, by doing nothing.

Hence, you get crushed blacks and whites, which along with the Xbones weird sharpening post process completely explains all discrepancies.

Replicant

For us dumb bells like myself, what does this all mean now?

But yeah, with that XBO and PS4 look the same now.

It means the black level you'll see on your TV will be completely flat black with no range tonality whatsoever. This is not good, especially when the game is supposed to show you darker areas where you are meant to be able to see various levels of blackness. The XBone's black is pitch black where details are lost.

sTaTIx

Honest question. Is this the biggest difference between 2 console multiplatform games? Basically, were there any PS3/360 games that had this much of an advantage?

The Darkness was full 720p w/ 4xAA on 360, but 540p no AA on PS3. Plus, PS3 had weaker textures, and no motion blur effects.

It was a horrendous difference. Starbreeze had no idea what the fuck they were doing with the Cell. Shockingly, I still enjoyed the PS3 version though.

dalin80

Banned
I'm sorry to say, but it seems like a half baked effort, even on the PS4. What is that atrocious post processing blur that's managed to mute every color on the screen?

This is my issue with the PS4 pictures, may be technically better but it looks very soft and most of that detail and colour which should be blatantly better has been muted out. A different artistic style that has made the xbone footage look more detailed even though of a worse quality.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Thanks for calling me clueless - you rock. What really matters in the end is how it looks and what's more appealing and to me, the sharper look is. However in the IGN videos you can definitely see the lack of resolution in distant fine lines which is a bit ugly.
There's nothing wrong with not knowing, you live and learn. What's wrong is adding a stupid sharpening effect that now can't be removed from the visuals, and yet people who want it can always accomplish the same exact effect by cranking it up on their TVs. Every single TV has this. If you like that sharpened look, you can do that with the PS4 version as well on your TV, and will always still look better due to higher resolution.

SRTtoZ

the xboxone /r comments are hilarious. Someone posted the better IGN comparison and they just say stuff like 'XB1 still looks less blurry'. Yikes.

xn0

The difference between textures is mind-boggling

lCqyfCT.jpg

Luckily, the amount of tears is the same in both versions

T84jyod.jpg

Sorry for the repost....

I've heard a couple of things about the BF4 capture. It seems that the PS4 was captured in 1080p where as the xbone was captured in its native 720p. Wouldn't this mean that because the PS4 is 1600x900 natively it has to upscale via software/hardware to produce the 1080p resolution for capture? Which could account for the "softening" effect?

That being said the same will be true on the Xbone where its native resolution of 720p will look exactly this way on a 720p native display, however on a 1080p display the image will have to be "upscaled" in order to look correct on a 1080p display.

What i'm trying to say is that if the PS4 is captured at 1080p and not in the games reported 1600x900 native resolution then some upscale processing is going to be on the PS4 images vs. the 720p native capture w/o any upscale processing from the xbone images.

Its late does this make any sense?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Honest question. Is this the biggest difference between 2 console multiplatform games? Basically, were there any PS3/360 games that had this much of an advantage?

The biggest difference was Splinter Cell:Double Agent. The PS3 version was like the 360 version with all of the shaders turned off.

Top Bottom