• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

RedAssedApe

Banned
Just set your TV's sharpening from the default of 50 to around 80 and you will get a similar look. For the colours, set the PS4 output to RGB limited and your TV to RGB full then set the colour mode to vivid or individually set the contrast to around 80 and the saturation to around 80, lower the brightness to around 30 and set the backlight to maximum to compensate.

Those are TV showroom settings as well.

aka how to ruin your picture. but they asked for it i guess. haha

Kinyou

No but it uses a lot of gpu ressources. The fact that xb1 version doesn't have any is quite telling.

5Y6IM82.png

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Just wtching the DF comparison now and i'm sorry but the textures do look better on the Xbox One.

You are again talking about the fucked up DF recording. You just saw the pictures I posted, how can you say that the X1 textures look better?
cpsZD63.png

Because this is the texture difference you get from 720p to 900p.

I'd like to know this too, can this effect definitely be replicated on a TV? It makes the PS4 version look much better.
It's not so suited for the multiplayer, because objects will be very hard to see in the darker areas.
However, I think we will set up the gamma in the initial starting screens and the over-scan as well.

keyrat

I love how this turned it out. It just goes to show how much people equate high contrast to superior image quality. If you go on Facebook, instagram, and reddit you see landscape photos with blown out colors and contrast and people eat it up. The same thing is happening here and goes to show that most people love it.

If the default settings outputting from the consoles ship like this, most people will find the XBO version to look better. Sure, you can change your TV settings, but most people do not understand how to tweak a TV, and I would argue that clipped shadows and blown out highlights aren't even appealing, but your average consumer thinks they are.

That said, the PS4 version looks a lot more like the PC version in style, but I bet again most would prefer the high contrast. It took me years of taking photos to become turned off by that style. It's cheap, lacking depth.

I didn't realise it at the time but the source file for the XO SKU in that gif was actually a jpeg.

So that could be introducing compression. If someone has a png I can remake the gif.

Edit: The point of the images the person posted was to show the effect post-sharpening can have, which you can replicate, if you really prefer it, on your TV settings.

Edit2: Oh DF's images are jpegs? I thought they'd use something like png or tif. Nvm the above.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Isn't the PS4 image sharpened though? You're post processing images like DF does and this should e unacceptable imo.

It is post processed to get the point across that you can give the PS4 version the same oversaturated look and people focus on the actual differences.

Yep,this is what i thought too
Not good comparison

No, PERFECT comparison because thats how both versions can look on your TV with the same oversaturated and sharpened settings.

...and then finally people can start focussing on this:
cpsZD63.png

I have literaly just got up and have not read a single post on here or anyones views and i am half way through the 'Videogamer' comparison vid and the Xbox One version looks miles better, what the hell?.

Could Anyone tell me what AO is?
AO is ambient occlusion, it adds shadows behind objects that block a lightsource
video games use a variety of cheap hack ways to do it , as doing a real accurate version in realtime is way beyond what a modern gpu can do

but it adds a ton of depth to a scene and makes it look way more believable, so even the approximation used in games is really sweet

it's one of the best settings for visual quality, games started looking dramatically much better once it was first used (in crysis and mafia 2)
ssao1.jpg

this shows it well
look at where the two walls meet, the bottom of the fountain, the arches
ao adds so much depth

developers often just bake it into the textures too (so it doesn't come at any performance increase, but is no longer dynamic so doesn't look right when lighting changes or when objects are moved)

is it me is is the XO footage using more of a harsher lighting effect

shadows are more apparent etc...

That's a consequence of the lower gamma setting and higher contrast setting when capturing footage. Other comparisons don't really show that same effect because they used hardware provided by DICE, DF used their own stuff and fucked up.

Well expect lower framerate when it's patched in.

The AO seems janky on the PS4 version (the one shot with the guy hanging off the edge of the building, the AO looks like its been badly photoshopped onto the image), and I've seen better implementations on PS3/360 of AO. So I doubt its going to be very FPS intensive.

CLEEK

http://abload.de/img/i3uk6taw6tdxd8fonn.gif

The best comparison

Things close up and further away both look much better on the PS4. No contrast fiddling, no DF meddling, nothing just the same shot used.

Both the PS4 and Xbone have display planes, which allows for rendering the UI at a different res than the game. So you can have a native 1080p UI overlaid on the 720p games.

So why the hell is the Xbox UI so blurry? Even the mini map and the d-pad icon is blurred as hell.

question: is BF4 for PS4 and Xbox one, using all the power of the next gen consoles or are they gimped due to the need of having them on PS360?
My guess is YES...but I aint no expert.

Stuff like division etc are just so much better looking.

dosh

I love how this turned it out. It just goes to show how much people equate high contrast to superior image quality. If you go on Facebook, instagram, and reddit you see landscape photos with blown out colors and contrast and people eat it up. The same thing is happening here and goes to show that most people love it.

A lot of movies uses that style as well, thus why people are used to it/love it. They all look like they've been shot during an overcast day.

bGanci

Banned
AO is ambient occlusion, it adds shadows behind objects that block a lightsource
video games use a variety of cheap hack ways to do it , as doing a real accurate version in realtime is way beyond what a modern gpu can do

but it adds a ton of depth to a scene and makes it look way more believable, so even the approximation used in games is really sweet

it's one of the best settings for visual quality, games started looking dramatically much better once it was first used (in crysis and mafia 2)
ssao1.jpg

this shows it well
look at where the two walls meet, the bottom of the fountain, the arches
ao adds so much depth

developers often just bake it into the textures too (so it doesn't come at any performance increase, but is no longer dynamic so doesn't look right when lighting changes or when objects are moved)
But Dice probably uses dynamic so it could cause a decrease in performance when it is added?

Toma

question: is BF4 for PS4 and Xbox one, using all the power of the next gen consoles or are they gimped due to the need of having them on PS360?
My guess is YES...but I aint no expert.

Stuff like division etc are just so much better looking.

Its a last gen engine and pretty much worse than anything on either console in 1-2 years.

Top Bottom