• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

Why are the textures different?

BCpXxjj.jpg

High detail vs. Medium Detail

Stimpack

The two are largely identical - you have to really look hard to find any differences, and when you do, the XO stands out as slightly more sharper and colourful.

Boom.

Please, look right here, and you can find this all over the video as well as aliasing. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then I don't know what to tell you.

ps4xboybina.jpg

Newlove

It's really impressive to see they have motion blur in there as well. I'm happy and surprised at how good it looks. Xbox One's colour is better though. Can't wait to get it on PS4.

JZHn6eR.jpg

PS4 version looks better. That distorced pixeling is a signal of the lower res?

Also XOne version looks darker, maybe to hide those defects?

Not a huge difference anyway. At leasy not by youtube video.

Not trying to argue with you in any way, but to my eyes the X1 version looks crisper and more colorful.

The higher contrast remind so much of PS3\360 again lol .
Truth is some people like it that way even thought they miss a good amount of detail .

the xone version looks to have superior AF too.

maybe lower res=higher res textures, af etc?

surprised. i thought it was going to get destroyed, graphically.

I-hate-u

Gamma settings, picture calibration, and adjusting your image on your television will fix any discrepancy.

This pisses me off to no end because it happens with every comparison. The PS version always seems washed out compared to the Xbox versions. Why don't they set the TV settings to be the same for comparisons?

Loakum

Banned
...ok...color me confused. They say the PS4 has a higher resolution of 900p, while the Xbox One is barely at 720p..but judging by those images, I have to say the Xbox One's pics has more vibrant color and shaper image. Am I the only one seeing this?

Nasser

The xbone version looks slightly better and more natural to me. AND I THOUGHT THE PS4 IS PCLIKE.
but I'm always wrong.

MIGIcQ4.png

I don't know what the Xbone is doing to the textures, but it really doesn't look all that good. It's like contrast and sharpening post-process filters are getting applied or something.

That image clearly shows the sub-surface scattering enabled on the PC version only. It's skin texture is lit way better than the other two.

Lunzio

This one is going to be a doozy. Both are looking good.

What I will say is that it appears as though XONE may be using higher contrast/"crushing" blacks to make the textures pop more in order to hide what it couldn't do.

All signs point to PS4 looking and playing better though. YouTube compression doesn't quite help either case.

Toki767

From a quick look, it seems like the PS4 version is more in line with the PC version. Which is weird when people are saying the Xbox One version looks better so they'll get the PC version. This whole situation is strange.

Xbox One version looks better except for power lines... PS4 version of power lines are better.

Overall no next-gen this fall. No 1080p, no next-gen. Shame on you game industry!!!

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Funny how people are skipping over the fact that press wasn't allowed to play XBone's multiplayer.

Funny how people are skipping over the fact someone who has played PS4 MP said it has crashed multiple times.

Again PS4 is pushing 44% pixels and ,maintaining higher FPS than X1 !!!

THIS IS HUGE!!!

Not as huge as the hard on for Sony you keep waving around.

d1rtn4p

Heard what I needed to hear. Cancelled both my preorders. No reason to get a next-gen console right now if you already have a high-end PC. When some exclusives come out that I really want, I'll pick them up.Just freed up a Knack launch bundle and Day One Xbone on Amazon for you GAF.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
.@ the people saying the XBone version looks better.

I thought I've seen it all
iupCowi4vwpT7.gif
lol. That's how I feel I just watched the videos. Not sure how you can come away with that conclusion. Even DF doesn't agree with that.
Heard what I needed to hear. Cancelled both my preorders. No reason to get a next-gen console right now if you already have a high-end PC. When some exclusives come out that I really want, I'll pick them up.Just freed up a Knack launch bundle and Day One Xbone on Amazon for you GAF.
It took you this long to realize your orders of magnitude more expensive PC would outperform a 400 dollar console?

Mung

Ps4 has a better resolution and framerate.
Only a few weeks ago people were saying that this would not be the case.
MS will obviously focus on subjective metrics from now on.

100 dollars cheaper for a better resolution and framerate. MS have fucked up (understatement).

wapplew

Something wrong with XO contrast, go check XO vs PC, it even look better than PC sometimes...
Darker to hide detail?

Gaz_RB

Gamma settings, picture calibration, and adjusting your image on your television will fix any discrepancy.

Yeah the gamma differences pretty much made the XB1 look way different. He mentions in the article how the default XB1 looked darker, but he just left them both at default and didnt try to equalize them

medze

Wow PS4 wins this one hands down. The jaggies on the Xbone version are pretty awful, especially in that scene where theyre driving with all the towers and wires in the background. PS4 seems to have better lighting, fog, and shadows. This is particularly evident in the face of the characters.

biRdy

so because of xbones scalar, the differences are so little. Not sure how people were saying the PS4 version looked miles ahead of xbox

Are those pics in the OP labeled wrong? The X1 version looks sharper, less blurry. Look at the textures, they're cripser. Lol. Joe Schmoe won't notice a difference if this is the big gap everyone is talking about. I don't know what to think at this point. Maybe the gap will widen as the gen progresses.

Thaster

They do both look pretty similar for the most part. The PS4 version does look a bit better though.
But those power lines were all I had to see to determine which one was best. lol

Xbox one version runs betters and looks crisper overall.

PS4 has higher resolution, and they are pushing it at 900p while trying to maintain 60fps which causes a few issues.

Look at 1:10 in the DF comparison. PS4 version has higher framerate drop.

PS4 obviously more powerful, but since it was pushed to 900p, it lost some performance.

gQTuZs6.jpg

From Digital Foundry in the article themselves

On the merits of what we've seen so far, Battlefield 4 is already set to be a formidable launch window effort from DICE. Our observations so far reveal a clear gap in fidelity between PC and PS4, and again to Xbox One, but sub-pixel break-up aside, based on what we've seen so far, the Microsoft console manages to hold up despite the undeniable, quantifiably worse metrics in terms of both resolution and frame-rate.

The XB1 has undeniable and quantifiable worse metrics for the frame-rate

You're cherrypicking the worst part

Yeah the gamma differences pretty much made the XB1 look way different. He mentions in the article how the default XB1 looked darker, but he just left them both at default and didnt try to equalize them

Yeah the calibration seemed way off between them. Colors were wrong

MDSLKTR

Still going ps4 only for this year's bf but disappointed a bit at the 900p. Wonder if a couple more months would have let Dice accomplish full hd. At least the engine looks solid now, not every Frostbite game will be a massive 64 player game.

Top Bottom