• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Rise of the Tomb Raider PS4 vs XB1

Fliesen

I played the whole game on the higher difficulties. In my opinion, it's waaay overstated here. It's fine, though you may notice it. Look back at the cross-section of reviews when the original release came out. It was on several "best of" lists.

i've been playing for 5 hours already and i didn't really notice any issues, really. Mostly, because i'm not going into Tomb Raider expecting twitch shooter controls.

Which doesn't excuse the issue, but it does set the bar a bit lower, because hectic combat situations are the exception, not the norm, in this game.
The QTEs themselves are super forgiving anyways.

mejin

PS4 has exactly the same level of AF as the Xbox One version. People seemed happy enough with the X1 version last year. Only now it's an issue?

I think it's a little worse, but everything else is little better on PS4. Better IQ and performance, new effects when compared to XBO version.

But Nixxes fucked up...input delay shouldn't be here.

Anyway, just a port.

eFKac

That's not a great showing from Nixxes, slightly better looking version, but not my a whole lot. Worse AF, and input lag/deadzone issues.

Will wait for it to hit 20€.

PS4 has exactly the same level of AF as the Xbox One version. People seemed happy enough with the X1 version last year. Only now it's an issue?

Comparing to not only the PC version but the Xbox 360 version, yeah it's an issue, people being happy with bad AF on the Xbox One version doesn't change the fact that it looks bad still on PS4.

JP

It's good to see there are improvements in the new release.

It does all look a little too soft for my liking though and the issues with the controls are killing this game for me. I know that people already complained about the Xbox One controls but it's far worse than I was expecting it to be.

I'm really hoping that the Pro version of the game fixes both these issues next month. I was only going to play the beginning to see what it was like and then wait for the improved Pro version to play it properly and the issues have meant that I won't even be tempted to go back to it until then.

Gator86

That's not a great showing from Nixxes, slightly better looking version, but not my a whole lot. Worse AF, and input lag/deadzone issues.

Will wait for it to hit 20€.

Not spending the $20. Going to re-rent it later this year. Astounding that they managed to get zero dollars from me on this game, despite how much I loved the previous game, and RoTR itself. That's what dumb exclusivity deals and half-assed ports get you, I suppose.

theDeeDubs

I never had problems with input delay, and it usually bothers me. I found aiming, hunting, and getting headshots a breeze in this to be honest. Not saying there wasn't any, just that it didn't bother me.

Runs at a higher resolution in cutscenes, better AO, better specular reflections, more shadows, motion blur 100% of the time.

It might not be the best port. But a bad port? I'd disagree with that.

I'd argue the most important part is how it plays, and with the input lag, the answer is like shit. As someone who played it on the Xbox one and the PC the lag really is atrocious on consoles.

For fucks sake.

Nixxes even did the 360 and PC ports too didn't they? How the hell could they fix the input lag there then let it remain on PS4? Especially in light of that being what would normally be the biggest audience who'd already been screwed out of being able to play the game for a year, it's just taking the piss!

Also again with the crap AF! Given how long these systems have been in developers hands, and how often the issue gets patched out later, I'm astonished to see it still cropping up so frequently.

Overall this looks like it's a definite step up over the XO version, but no where near as polished as it should be with an entire extra year of work.

Definitely waiting for the price to drop well under 20 quid, and at this point I'm honestly hoping the game sells poorly enough that Tomb Raider gets given to another totally unrelated studio to reboot from scratch, ideally with more of an eye to the classic older games style.

Dizzy

Banned
Wasn't sure whether I should get this on PS4 or PC. Given the input delay, PC it is.

Waiting on a cheaper price though.

Yes, the input lag coming back sucks, but guys, seriously, calm down. Calling this a bad port is ridiculous.

And stop spreading false information, the AF on BOTH current gen consoles is bad. The screenshot posted is misleading because the XO version suffers from the same issue.

leng jai

Bad AF and input lag :

I'd be pretty disappointed as PS4 only player after waiting a year. Sad because it's a very solid game, especially on PC (even that has CPU issues in the hub areas).

Bad AF seems to be a given for a lot of PS4 games though, not just here.

cakely

I'd be pretty disappointed as PS4 only player after waiting a year. Sad because it's a very solid game, especially on PC (even that has CPU issues in the hub areas).

Bad AF seems to be a given for a lot of PS4 games though, not just here.

In this particular case, the Bad AF seems to be exactly the same on the Xbox One version.

EGM1966

So its essentially same game as XB1 ported, few better effects and (vs OG XB1) no screen tearing? Solid I guess but the input lag is a puzzle: what would that be there is PC/360 don't have it and they knew about it from XB1? TBH why does XB1 have it?

Oh well PC choice with less delay than PS4 vindicated.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So better graphics,always 1080p and stable 30fps.
Game looks and plays great and I'm actually happy its not 60fps, that part in the video looked terrible on PC.
Shame they don't give the option on TRDE, its stopped my replay of it because it looks stupid.
And I can't say I notice input lag I'll have to check, but my shots have be very fast & accurate

alexbull_uk

Visually looks great but it's such a shame the input lag is still there.

I abandoned the game on XO and waited for it on PC because the lag was so annoying.

Wonder if there'll be any difference when running on the Pro?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Are we sure it's actual input lag? Played a bit last night and it feels like a large dead zone on the right stick with some strange acceleration. Didn't notice anything off with the movement response.

Pjsprojects

Both look about the same to me,the old 360 version looks ruff but that's to be expected I guess.

PC version has a bit better look with all the bells and whistles set to max but overall it's just a great looking game all round for me.

Certinty

Input lag didn't really even bother me on the Xbox One version if I'm honest.

The gunplay even like that was still far superior than Uncharted 4's for example so it felt pretty good.

EvB

Are we sure it's actual input lag? Played a bit last night and it feels like a large dead zone on the right stick with some strange acceleration. Didn't notice anything off with the movement response.

Somebody will post that gif of the analogue stick moving in relation to the character before you know it.
Why somebody can't just measure it I don't know, using a face button for reference.

leng jai

In this particular case, the Bad AF seems to be exactly the same on the Xbox One version.

Yeah. In general I think Xbone games have better AF, though I don't play many games on mine.

hmm thought people were claiming that ps4 lost the input lag.

watch AF issue is fixed in PS4 Pro version :p

Probably the same people that wouldn't have noticed it in the Xbone version either.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Somebody will post that gif of the analogue stick moving in relation to the character before you know it.
Why somebody can't just measure it I don't know, using a face button for reference.
I'm not all that sensitive to input lag myself but the left stick feels more responsive to me. Right stick just has a large dead zone.

SURGEdude

So better graphics,always 1080p and stable 30fps.
Game looks and plays great and I'm actually happy its not 60fps, that part in the video looked terrible on PC.
Shame they don't give the option on TRDE, its stopped my replay of it because it looks stupid.
And I can't say I notice input lag I'll have to check, but my shots have be very fast & accurate

You're glad it's not 60fps? Now I've heard it all.

In the original ROTTR video John says "we regularly encounter performance drops" and shows several scenes dropping to 25 fps or lower but this seems to be glossed over here for the OG Xbox One.

Weird how he doesn't mention it and it would be an interesting comparison to see if PS4 and Xbox One S drops to 23-25 fps in these areas shown here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrUowFjsBwM

John also says if you stay in cover the frame stays around 30 but engage in the enemies head on you get drops to around 25fps.

moreover they shows dips to 23-25fps without any enemies on screen

Was this patched out, seems odd to not mention now and give the impression its a solid 30fps game with only mentions of some torn frames like the OP has done as well.

You're glad it's not 60fps? Now I've heard it all.

I think they mean glad they didn't try for allowing it to go to 60 fps but have very variable frame rate and instead went for a rock solid 30 fps. That's not entirely unreasonable as unsteady frame rate can be more distracting than lower solid frame rate for some people.

Top Bottom