• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Rise of the Tomb Raider PS4 vs XB1

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
You're glad it's not 60fps? Now I've heard it all.
Yeah I'm glad, some games look funny in 60fps, like a soap opera effect. Tomb Raider is one of them
Watch the DF video again and wait for the PC footage, it looks fucking wrong.
I don't care if its more responsive, it looks stupid.
I'm not against 60fps, but it doesn't look right with TR

leng jai

Yeah I'm glad, some games look funny in 60fps, like a soap opera effect. Tomb Raider is one of them

Not this shit again. ROTR plays and looks much better on PC running at 60fps. How does it look stupid? Makes no sense.

SURGEdude

I think they mean glad they didn't try for allowing it to go to 60 fps but have very variable frame rate and instead went for a rock solid 30 fps. That's not entirely unreasonable as unsteady frame rate can be more distracting than lower solid frame rate for some people.

Totally agreed if that's what they meant. I'd certainly prefer a locked 30 over a swinging rate. Especially with the input issue.

Edit: Apparently they meant what I assumed at first.

TGO

Not this shit again. ROTR plays and looks much better on PC running at 60fps. How does it look stupid? Makes no sense.
Watch the fucking DF video and you'll see, it doesn't look right.

I know everyone has opinions but wow.

SURGEdude

I'm gonna have to disagree. Perhaps I've never had your sentiment because I've been a longtime PC gamer and the "soap opera" effect doesn't bother me. If anything it feels closer to real life.

SURGEdude

is it a large dead zone or input lag people? They usually have a sensitivity dial if its dead zone.

Speaking from my own experience on XB1 it's both. Sounds like the lag at least is present on PS4 as well. Not sure about the dead zone there though.

Edit: sorry for the DP

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Speaking from my own experience on XB1 it's both. Sounds like the lag at least is present on PS4 as well. Not sure about the dead zone there though.

Edit: sorry for the DP
If there is lag, the dead zone is actually the much larger issue for aiming.

Lt.Chips

It's far from ideal but the sluggishness is nowhere close to the likes of Killzone 2 either. But yeah, disappointed and would like to have this issue fixed.

TGO

SURGEdude

If there is lag, the dead zone is actually the much larger issue for aiming.

I would agree. Though I think the two compound each other to make the shooting feel worse than I had hoped. It's definitely noticeable when coming from the 2013 remaster or PC.

Despite my criticism it isn't game breaking. In fact it still made my game of the year list last year.

sector4

You guys can't see it? Wow

They can see it but it looks better to them that way. It's what makes 60fps so fluid and responsive. It's fine to not like the look that hitting 60fps creates, it is indeed similar to the Soap Opera Effect created by using motion interpolation, or watching HFR content like sports or The Hobbit in 48fps.

SuperSah

Banned
Probably a good thread to ask this question in.

I've not played any of these TR games. Should I play the 'definitive edition' on PS4 before this? Is it good?

RPGam3r

Lot of people will think you're trolling and maybe you are. If you're being serious I agree, sometimes the soap opera effect is noticable and sometimes looks off.

Fezan

is there issue with input lag or dead zones ?
Really disappointed with this port. Nixxes usually do better job than CD

Probably a good thread to ask this question in.

I've not played any of these TR games. Should I play the 'definitive edition' on PS4 before this? Is it good?

It's definitely worth playing. The PS4 version is fine unless you don't like the frame rate to jump between 30 and 60 fps.

By the time you're done with the first one, ROTTR should be cheaper.

TGO

I can see 60 fps, which looks smoother and cleaner, communicating a better fluidity of motion and empirically more information. It certainly doesn't look wrong or out of place, unless you've never played a 60 fps game before.
Many many games, but that don't look right.

They can see it but it looks better to them that way. It's what makes 60fps so fluid and responsive. It's fine to not like the look that hitting 60fps creates, it is indeed similar to the Soap Opera Effect created by using motion interpolation, or watching HFR content like sports or The Hobbit in 48fps.
Thank you, atleast you know what I mean. 60fps is good I ain't saying it isn't but TRDE and this one looks funny at 60fps.

Lot of people will think you're trolling and maybe you are. If you're being serious I agree, sometimes the soap opera effect is noticable and sometimes looks off.
No I'm serious, it looks stupid.
I can see it, it just doesn't bother me. I see it as a plus actually. It's more realistic looking.
Yeah if life was playing at speed X2, you must be one of those people that has motion plus on high for everything?

pswii60

Still has input delay, 360 best version! Yeah, 360 has better AF too, amazing.
360 a beast, 11 years after its launch. And to think everyone said 360 games didn't look much better than Xbox games when it was first revealed on MTV.

I agree. I think cutscenes should be 30fps. Like TLOU remaster, the 60fps cutscenes look weird.

Many many games, but that don't look right.

Thank you, atleast you know what I mean. 60fps is good I ain't saying it isn't but TRDE and this one looks funny at 60fps.

No I'm serious, it looks stupid.

Yeah if life was playing at speed X2, you must be one of those people that has motion plus on high for everything?

Yea I see what you're saying. It looks like its moving way too fast. 60 fps is preferred but in this case, yep it looks funny.

TGO

I agree. I think cutscenes should be 30fps. Like TLOU remaster, the 60fps cutscenes look weird.
I haven't seen the cutscenes in RoTTR in 60fps, TRDE look ok, it just the gameplay as soon as you move looks weird.

cakely

With all other settings the same, 60fps looks better than 30fps Every. Single. Time.

I recently played Destiny, and then played Transformers: Devastation, and then watched someone play MGS5. Games look so much more natural and fluid at 60fps.

TGO

With all other settings the same, 60fps looks better than 30fps Every. Single. Time.

I recently played Destiny, and then played Transformers: Devastation, and then watched someone play MGS5. Games look so much more natural and fluid at 60fps.
I agree, but not with this game or TRDE.
I'm glad some people see it too, I thought I was going mad.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
I haven't seen the cutscenes in RoTTR in 60fps, TRDE look ok, it just the gameplay as soon as you move looks weird.
I'm going to assume you aren't being a troll.

With that being said, sometimes 60fps video of a game looks "fake" or "soap opera-y" than actually playing at 60 fps. I have no clue why, but it looks smoother in video form than actually playing.

TGO

I'm going to assume you aren't being a troll.

With that being said, sometimes 60fps video of a game looks "fake" or "soap opera-y" than actually playing at 60 fps. I have no clue why, but it looks smoother in video form than actually playing.
I started Tomb Raider DE just a few weeks before this released, it look odd and that was coming from another 60fps game which was fine.

I started Tomb Raider DE just a few weeks before this released, it look odd and that was coming from another 60fps game which was fine.

It probably looked odd because it was fluctuating hardcore between 40-60fps

Rise looks amazing at a locked 60, I don't know what you're on about.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
It actually holds up pretty well. I was thoroughly impressed. Kind of reminds me of the Titanfall 360/XB1 split, though not as pronounced.

I don't have any intentions of picking up an Xbox One or Playstation 4, so it's basically my only way to play the game, and I love me some late-gen "impossible" ports.

SURGEdude

What were you playing it on? I think it has a variable framerate on consoles which might explain the strangeness you felt.

This game looks great but I'm not playing it for two reasons : waiting for the PS4pro and hopefully the aiming dead zone to be fixed.

But part of me is worried that hardware power isn't the issue, otherwise the 360 version would have that problem as well.

Top Bottom