• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Rise of the Tomb Raider PS4 vs XB1

I seriously cannot believe they didn't fix the input delay. Fuck they wasted all that time tinkering with.the graphics and screwed up the most important issue.

Yeah I'm glad, some games look funny in 60fps, like a soap opera effect. Tomb Raider is one of them
Watch the DF video again and wait for the PC footage, it looks fucking wrong.
I don't care if its more responsive, it looks stupid.
I'm not against 60fps, but it doesn't look right with TR

There is no such thing as 60fps not "looking right".

Doctre81

Yeah I'm glad, some games look funny in 60fps, like a soap opera effect. Tomb Raider is one of them
Watch the DF video again and wait for the PC footage, it looks fucking wrong.
I don't care if its more responsive, it looks stupid.
I'm not against 60fps, but it doesn't look right with TR

LOL. I remember this guy I know told me he didn't want last of us remastered to be 60 fps because it looked "funny". This post reminded me of that.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
LOL. I remember this guy I know told me he didn't want last of us remastered to be 60 fps because it looked "funny". This post reminded me of that.
The Last of Us looks great @60fps though.

Looks more like an issue with that video rather than the actual game.

This. Not sure if it's just me but there's a lot of stuttering going on there. It also doesn't help that he's playing with KB+M and is pretty twitchy with the camera. I prefer a controller for most 3rd person games for smoother camera panning. I played RotTR at 60 FPS and it looked perfectly natural, just like every other game at 60 FPS.

EDIT: no motion blur in that video either; that might throw some people off who are used to 30 FPS + motion blur.

Buburibon

I see it. It looks like little hitches during the animations and camera movement. Definitely doesn't look as good as other 60fps games I've seen. You're not crazy.

You're right. The frame rate counter on the top right corner shows pretty clearly that the source PC was not capable of outputting an unwavering 60fps during that clip. Some people may have convinced themselves they prefer to play ROTTR at 30fps, but that's not a good example of what proper 60fps looks like.

ViciousDS

Banned
The input lag was fixed they said.

Well.....ps4 version can fuck all as much as the Xbox one version. It ruined my experience a ton and couldn't finish it

Justinh

Definitely. PS4 Pro might get 360-quality rug.
This sounds like a punch-line to something, lol...
I played the whole game on the higher difficulties. In my opinion, it's waaay overstated here. It's fine, though you may notice it. Look back at the cross-section of reviews when the original release came out. It was on several "best of" lists.
I think I agree with this. It is noticeable, but I thought it was easy to get used to it quickly and just play the game fine. After a while away from the game and going back after playing it on PC, it did bother me for just a bit again, so I tried moving my stick inputs to "instant" in the xbox accessories app and turned the sensitivity in-game a little lower. I don't think it helped, though so I just got used to it again. It wasn't something that was making me miss shots or anything.

MuchoMalo

Banned
What the hell? What did Sony and MS do to make AF not work properly on their consoles? I have a feeling that PS4 Pro isn't any better. This better not happen again next generation, I'm pretty happy that I have a gaming PC right now...

Here is another reminder to self that I should never EVER pre-order any game again. I mean I thought:

"Hey this is a complete edition coming out one year later AND is being ported by Nixxes. There is no way they could fuck that up. So, let's pre-order it and get the TR:DE as a nice bonus!!!"

And yet somehow it managed to be a bad port :(

Important lesson learned: DO NOT PRE-ORDER SHIT ANYMORE!

FHIZ

Here is another reminder to self that I should never EVER pre-order any game again. I mean I thought:

"Hey this is a complete edition coming out one year later AND is being ported by Nixxes. There is no way they could fuck that up. So, let's pre-order it and get the TR:DE as a nice bonus!!!"

...how is it a bad port? that it's pretty much the Xbox One version with better resolution during cut scenes?

MuchoMalo

Banned

It seems like a bit much to call it a bad port.

...how is it a bad port? that it's pretty much the Xbox One version with better resolution during cut scenes?

Input lag which doesn't exist on 360 & PC version is a deal breaker for lots of people. There's also a minor issue like worse AF on PS4 compared to 360.

cakely

This is not a bad port. It's definitely and it's definitely an improvement over the Xbox One version, it's just not a huge one.

People are focusing on the poor AF and the input lag, but both of those problems exist in the original console version.

Heh. It's worse AF on both Xbox One and PS4 versions compared to the 360 version. Add in the lack of input lag in the 360 version, and you have a solid argument that the 360 version is the best console version.

It's exactly as I have been saying. The targeted platform for a game is the best version of that game. It's no secret that Crystal Dynamics is an Xbox developer and the platform targeted was the 360. It explains why there are issues on other platforms as their design, testing, and QA were focused on that platform.

I don't know, maybe I expected too much from Nixxes for PS4 version to not have a problem that isn't presented in the last gen version of the game. Which they ported themselves by the way.

Especially when you consider that PS4 version had an extra year of "dev" time.

Anyway, I just add Nixxes (and Crystal Dynamics) to my "don't trust" developers list.

It's exactly as I have been saying. The targeted platform for a game is the best version of that game. It's no secret that Crystal Dynamics is an Xbox developer and the platform targeted was the 360. It explains why there are issues on other platforms as their design, testing, and QA were focused on that platform.

But Nixxes did the 360 version.

But there's no problem on the PC version.

Wanderer5

Meh I wouldn't marked Nixxes off over this, even if this looks a bit weird coming from them. The PS4 version still looks like a good port beside the input delay, and these guys have a pretty good track record (including the PC and the 360 version of this game).

Heh I never heard of input delay until people were complaining about it with the XB1 version. Is it a controls thing, like how responsive they are?

Heh I never heard of input delay until people were complaining about it with the XB1 version. Is it a controls thing, like how responsive they are?
Yes. Here an example from last gen.

TEb8Vpj.gif

DVbwkmg.gif

ron_bato

Shame about the input lag, as i was highly considering getting this for the pro even though i have it on pc.

Hopefully this gets fixed soon.

I played this last year on xbone and didn't notice input lag? Maybe I'm just not as sensitive to it or something? Honestly don't recall having issues with that.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I played this last year on xbone and didn't notice input lag? Maybe I'm just not as sensitive to it or something? Honestly don't recall having issues with that.

You've got to really concentrate for a very long time to learn the art of ruining your enjoyment of a game.

Top Bottom