• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Shadow of War: Early Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro Graphics Comparison + Frame-Rate test

dr_rus

So just curious - how does the X compare to PC on ultra @ 1080p?
In this game I get >100 fps in 1920x1200 on Ultra on my GTX1080 and around 45 fps in a tad higher than 4K according to built-in benchmark. That's with 4K textures installed of course. The game isn't very demanding.

cicatriz

If you disable dynamic Resolution in Resolution Mode the game is native 4K all time. What you mentioned is happening in Quality Mode with dynamic resolution enabled.

At the cost of:

Low 20s fps
Lower LOD
Lower texture resolution

Tom didn't recommend this configuration. Maybe it will be optimized before release though?

Malcolm9

Well you see it in price. Remains to be seen is it genius move from sales perspective.

Night and day difference. It's ridiculous.

Wii and Wii U make me nervous Sony won't be able to compete any longer, hardware wise

And you're full of crap, calm down with your fanboy drivel please. What's the Wii & Wii U have to do with Sony and the PS5?

Anyway, the X1X version looks really good, but id be surprised if they can't increase the textures on the Pro, maybe not to the same level as the X, but at least better than the base PS4

Dabanton

Interesting how ? The only way the One X would not look a lot better than the PS4 Pro version is if Rockstar doesn't try, and I don't believe that for a second.

Interesting in terms of meltdowns.

We're you not around for the original and classic RDR PS360 comparison thread. It was a bloodbath.

I'm expecting it to be even more intense this time.

And you're full of crap, calm down with your fanboy drivel please. What's the Wii & Wii U have to do with Sony and the PS5?

Anyway, the X1X version looks really good, but id be surprised if they can't increase the textures on the Pro, maybe not to the same level as the X, but at least better than the base PS4

I am not sure why I am being quoted here?

arhra

At the cost of:

Low 20s fps
Lower LOD
Lower texture resolution

Tom didn't recommend this configuration. Maybe it will be optimized before release though?

Even though it's early code, the Xbox One X build we played runs almost flawlessly for regular missions at a straight 30fps, regardless of rendering mode. However, there is one exceptional area in the Gamecom build that causes issues. The Ghasghor siege is a large-scale battle that buckles Xbox One X's performance to around the low-20s. It's a mission with a surplus of enemies and effects, and the bottleneck applies whether you're on quality or resolution mode.

As a stress-test it's fascinating to see the standard Xbox One's adaptive v-sync used here, causing occasional screen-tear. Also curious is that the quality mode appears to push Xbox One X harder, compared to the resolution mode - creating a divide of 2-3 frames per second in matching scenes. Interestingly, engaging dynamic resolution makes no difference here, and it may be the case that the sheer number of entities is causing the console to be CPU-bound.

And to be clear, both options deliver better textures than PS4 Pro regardless of which you choose. On quality mode you get the best assets possible on Xbox One X, while the resolution mode uses a slightly lower quality texture filtering - blurring the ground slightly, despite using the same texture seting.

You're right on the LODs though, so I guess one out of three isn't bad. Keep moving those goalposts though, it might work eventually.

We're you not around for the original and classic RDR PS360 comparison thread. It was a bloodbath.

Sadly, it looks to be going that way. I don’t find people making asses out of themselves amusing. To each his or her own though.

8Gb vs 12Gb when it comes to GDDR5. Sony added some extra DDR3 RAM to Pro though that will handle OS stuff so developers have extra 0.5 Gb of GDDR5 available to use with games compared to standard PS4 (5.5 Gb vs 5 Gb). No idea how much XBO X allows developers to use but of course way more compared to Pro.

9GB available to devs of GDDR5 in X1X

Colbert

Banned
At the cost of:

Low 20s fps
Lower LOD
Lower texture resolution

I did not want to recommend any of the modes but your original comment sounded like the game failed to deliver native 4K which is not the case. And other than the hit on fps the other trade-offs are compared to a Quality Mode which is the reason you can choose in which mode you want to play the game.

About the fps-drop I don't think they can avoid those dips if they want to maintain the current quality settings for resolution mode. But as you said people will favor the Quality Mode anyway as it is near enough to a native 4K output with all the bells and whistles.

kinggroin

Banned
What? This is just....come on.

Console launches seem to make people lose IQ points from time to time.

I mean, the Wii U wasn't nearly as far apart performance wise as the XBonex is to PS4, but it still was considering it was new. I think it makes sense to make these links.

Just reminded my wife to buy extra popcorn the week of release, gonna be a good one. ;)

Watched the video but i must have missed it, but if I were to use Favor Quality, what resolution would it be using if I don't enable dynamic resolution?

It does sound like Favor Quality will be the way to go, because I really wonder if I'll see the difference in clarity between that and Favor Resolution. Even though I do sit 3 meters from my 65 inch.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I mean, the Wii U wasn't nearly as far apart performance wise as the XBonex is to PS4, but it still was considering it was new. I think it makes sense to make these links.
I have no idea what kind of connection you’re trying to make. Nothing about this comparison makes any sense.

kinggroin

Banned
Are you okay? Are you having a stroke right now?

Wtf my man! Why even go that.

Anyway, I can tell this thread is breaking minds and brains alike. No telling what happens if we continue this discorse of decadently disparaging discussion.

And fwiw I i only owne a PS4 so I'm not hiased.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Anyway, I can tell this thread is breaking minds and brains alike. No telling what happens if we continue this discorse of decadently disparaging discussion.

you sound sauced lol

onQ123

Watched the video but i must have missed it, but if I were to use Favor Quality, what resolution would it be using if I don't enable dynamic resolution?

It does sound like Favor Quality will be the way to go, because I really wonder if I'll see the difference in clarity between that and Favor Resolution. Even though I do sit 3 meters from my 65 inch.
It's right there in the OP

"Assuming that toggle is disabled, what you get in quality mode is a native resolution of 3520x1980."

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

You are just making no sense what-so-ever. Slow down and try to make an argument that people can follow. Claiming you have no faith in Sony making a more powerful console because of the power difference between the Wii to WiiU is not a reasonable argument.

Not to be rude, but your point isn’t making sense. I don’t think you’re coming across as a fanboy or anything. I just don’t understand what point you’re attempting to make.

The architectures of both of those systems were COMPLETELY different. PS3 was notoriously difficult to program for compared to the 360.

Hawk269

With only 1/2 GB more RAM than a standard PS4 how do see them doing this? Just moving to higher than 1080p uses more ram, even with textures untouched. When I went from 1080p gaming to 4k gaming on my RIG I noticed that the average game that use to run at 1080p, without texture improvements used more RAM when running in 4k. Just making the move to higher resolutions requires a little bit more RAM and that is why Sony added that small amount. 1/2 a GB of Main RAM is no where near enough to do anything more with textures. They needed that 1/2 gb buffer to render at higher resolution. Perhaps it is enough room to give better textures on a main character of a game, but that is pretty much all you can expect with the amount of RAM the PRO has and having to render higher resolution.

It's right there in the OP

"Assuming that toggle is disabled, what you get in quality mode is a native resolution of 3520x1980."

Ah my bad man. I watched the video straight from YouTube and then went to last page of this thread right away.

It's gonna be interesting to try these modes out and see if I really see a difference. If it turns that the difference in clarity is huge I might choose the resolution option, but I really doubt that. Unless I sit like 1m from my screen.

I have a feeling the difference in noticeable clarity between Favor Quality without dynamic resolution option and Favor Quality with dynamic resolution enabled it hard to see. It will undoubtedly be easier to see between Favor Quality and Favor Resolution.

rmatheso

I'd call it a "someone is getting fired at Sony" order of magnitude. That video won't play well at their next meeting.

No-no, they will say that graphics aren't everything and their services/ecosystem are the best. Just like Microsoft did with the OG Xbox One...

hmmmm...

EYE5OXb.gif

Wow some stuff people have said in here boggles my mind. Wii to WiiU means Sony can't make a more powerful console. Someone at Sony being fired because why exactly? Holy crap take some time and think about what you guys are saying, both those statements are absolutely ridiculous.

Having said that I did not expect as big of a difference as I see here, I'm not a tech savvy dude, but this video alone made me more interested in the Xbox One X then I have ever been. If I can find a good trade in deal for my S then I will go ahead and pick one up.

Edit: And just as I say it another ridiculous post right above mine. Are you guys taking crazy pills?

I'd call it a "someone is getting fired at Sony" order of magnitude. That video won't play well at their next meeting.

Cerny isn't going anywhere. Sony made the right play for them, considering they favored price with PS4 and PS4 Pro, and they still want to commit to a PS5 generation leap in a few years.

Wow some stuff people have said in here boggles my mind. Wii to WiiU means Sony can't make a more powerful console. Someone at Sony being fired because why exactly? Holy crap take some time and think about what you guys are saying, both those statements are absolutely ridiculous.

Having said that I did not expect as big of a difference as I see here, I'm not a tech savvy dude, but this video alone made me more interested in the Xbox One X then I have ever been. If I can find a good trade in deal for my S then I will go ahead and pick one up.

Edit: And just as I say it another ridiculous post right above mine. Are you guys taking crazy pills?

Not sure how much you're looking for, but Gamestop is giving $150 for the S when put towards an X.

Top Bottom