• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Shadow of War: Early Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro Graphics Comparison + Frame-Rate test

To be honest I'm surprised people actually are surprised. Did they forget that the console is significantly more powerful which naturally means some things are gonna look and/or perform better on that? I'm not tech savvy or anything but these are kind of the differences I expected and am not shocked or anything.

Basically the resolution gets much closer to native 4K, higher resolution textures and here and there a better draw distance. For all that extra power I really don't find it all that shocking. Or am I definitely underestimating how much these things are resource hogs?

To be honest I'm surprised people actually are surprised. Did they forget that the console is significantly more powerful which naturally means some things are gonna look and/or perform better on that? I'm not tech savvy or anything but these are kind of the differences I expected and am not shocked or anything.

Basically the resolution gets much closer to native 4K, higher resolution textures and here and there a better draw distance. For all that extra power I really don't find it all that shocking. Or am I definitely underestimating how much these things are resource hogs?

Granted it's one game, but I'm kinda shocked with the 4K textures thing, I don't think every game will implement it, but this game looks great with it.

I'd call it a "someone is getting fired at Sony" order of magnitude. That video won't play well at their next meeting.

You'd probably be right if the PS4 (and PS4 Pro) suddenly stopped selling and squandered its early lead to finish third in the generation.

Do you think this is going to happen? XD

cakely

I'd call it a "someone is getting fired at Sony" order of magnitude. That video won't play well at their next meeting.

Hear that everyone? The Xbox One X is so powerful that someone's getting fired at Sony. That's powerful.

Also now I'm picturing the meeting in this scenario: Giant board room, executives, they bring up a huge display and start playing the Shadow of War comparison video. The room goes completely silent because everyone knows their jobs are at stake. Someone's life is going to be ruined.

DXISnT4.png

I think the PS4 Pro wins due to it looking muddier

Severianb

Any word on how filling the extra 4GB with higher resolution textures affects load times?

I’ll be really curious to hear how developers decide to arrange content on disk. Avoiding seek times by co-mingling assets for an area is a straightforward and effective solution when all systems have the same needs. It gets more complex with optional UHD asset packs, and even in best case loading twice as much will take twice as long. Hopefully there are enough architectural changes to improve load times compared to the base model in order to mitigate or eliminate any regression here.

Load times are one of the reasons I’m betting against the historical 8-16x bump in total memory next generation.

How much faster the X1X is loading with a 1TB SSD inside will determine how quickly I buy one. The PS4 Pro had a pathetic improvement. The X1X will not be able to get away with that with the huge Ultra quality textures.

(When I say pathetic, I mean it. DF found the PS4 Pro took 70 seconds to load what took the PC 20 seconds, using the same SSD. )

Justinh

I was thinking about getting this game since people have been talking highly of it and I have about 30 bucks in my Microsoft I could put towards a purchase. I think I'll just wait for my Scorpio to arrive now. It looks like they put in some work to make it look nice.

Since it's an old build, hoping it runs better in the very demanding bits on release.

Syrus

Banned

Because people expected just a difference like 900p to 1080p scale

But its clear its so much more then a res bump

I was thinking about getting this game since people have been talking highly of it and I have about 30 bucks in my Microsoft I could put towards a purchase. I think I'll just wait for my Scorpio to arrive now. It looks like they put in some work to make it look nice.

Since it's an old build, hoping it runs better in the very demanding bits on release.

Do it, it’s a great game if you liked the nemesis system of the first and should look really good on your One X.

Hawk269

Agree. There were a few people on Gaf, myself included that had made comments that when you take into account the GPU, Extra RAM, Bandwidth and even the improvement to the CPU combined would lead to some significant gains. Some people just focused on the GPU and that was it, not giving enough credence to the RAM and Bandwidth.

Those that were saying these things about taking into account the whole system were typically shot down as "fan boys" or "talking out our assess". The common comeback was "even it the Xbox does 4k Native, with Checkboard Rendering, they are going to look about the same". What many of those people did not realize is that rendering at 4k or CBR is not the whole story, when you are able to have 4k Textures *COMBINED* with higher resolution you are going to get much better results.

This imho is just the tip of the iceberg. As many noted, this particular game is not the best looking game, but it is evident what the added power can do..but what is going to happen when you get a game with much better art direction and they are able to render not only a higher resolution but also higher textures due to the extra memory and bandwidth and other enhancements they have made?

If the amount of meltdowns some are having over Shadow of War differences and we are talking about a version of the game that is probably 3-4 months old and not final, what is it going to be like in other DF threads when the gap may be even more? It is going to be interesting, but I hope some keep it civil. We are going to have Xbox fans gloating and I know that won't sit well with many, but it is what it is and I hope some keep personal insults to themselves.

The gap in processing power between the Pro and the XOX is 4x? What?
Yeah, surely X1X isn't that much of an upgrade?

Look at what I was replying to...

The TF gap between the XBONE and base PS4 was around 500 GFLOPS or ~40%, the gap between the PS4 Pro is also around 40% but that ~40% is a gap of nearly 2TF, four times larger than the gap between the PS4 and XBox One. Obviously the main purpose of those extra FLOPS is still just going to be getting closer to 4K than anything else.

But higher you go with flops the less the absolute difference matters. For example difference between 100 gflops and 600 gflops is way bigger than difference between 5 tflops and 5.6 tflops. I mean difference between XBO X and PS4 Pro in flops is bigger than difference between PS3 and PS4 and yet no one would say we have gen leap here.

The higher you go sure, but these consoles in the same generation aren't so high in the FLOP count that 2TF means something insignificant, it'll only be so because it's primarily going to be used for higher resolution in a similar manner as a game on PS4 being 900p and the XBO version being 792p and using dynamic resolution for 1080p or the XBOX will have an easier time achieving native 4K on games designed around the XBO than Pro games designed around the PS4. Obviously a whole PS4 worth of difference is going to be mainly used to get closer to 4K but if devs choose there's more options as to what to do with it, which they likely won't. And yes, the extra RAM is a bigger factor, especially with textures.

The CPU is still shit.

trixx

This image right here, just this shot tells it all. There is a MASSIVE difference!!! I was honestly not expecting this big of a difference. From the cape detail, to the textures all around, to the lighting, the res, it seriously looks like different console generations! Does anyone k ow how to post these side by side, since Photobucket started charging for Image codes im having a difficult time figuring out where to get coding! :(

PS4 Pro
https://flic.kr/p/Yvrivo

Xbox One X
https://flic.kr/p/ZA9ugK

it's pretty good but if i had a pro wouldn't be worth upgrade. As it stands I would get this if i could get a decent deal on my xbone s. Definitely not generational difference, it's an upgrade for sure but ehh

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
it's pretty good but if i had a pro wouldn't be worth upgrade. As it stands I would get this if i could get a decent deal on my xbone s. Definitely not generational difference, it's an upgrade for sure but ehh

Someone said Gamestop may be giving $150 for trading in an XBO:S

kc44135

Pretty nice improvements, too bad Xbox doesn't have the games worth it for me to even consider buying one.

Yeah, I think this is going to be the main differentiator going forward. X1X will win hands down, every time, with multiplatform games, but PS4 still has a greater selection of games you can't play anywhere else, and PRO will still be the best way to play them. I think that, and a lower price point, means PRO still has it's place, and can still be successful in the wake of X1X.

cackhyena

Yeah, I think this is going to be the main differentiator going forward. X1X will win hands down, every time, with multiplatform games, but PS4 still has greater selection of games you can't play anywhere else, and PRO will be the best way to play them. I think that, and a lower price point, means PRO still has it's place, and can still be successful in the wake of X1X.

Naturally. Pro may even end up outselling the X1X when all is said and done. For me, that doesn't matter. I still enjoy Xbox exclusives and any third party games get played there again like it was for 360. I mean, it's been that way for this gen too, unless it was a glaring deficiency on Xbox. I just enjoy the controller and ecosystem of Xbox more. Sony has some amazing first party shit, tho. New God of War is one of my most anticipated.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yeah, I think this is going to be the main differentiator going forward. X1X will win hands down, every time, with multiplatform games, but PS4 still has a greater selection of games you can't play anywhere else, and PRO will still be the best way to play them. I think that, and a lower price point, means PRO still has it's place, and can still be successful in the wake of X1X.
This is my take on it. I think XBX is a very cool piece of hardware with a lot of great engineering that also took the time to learn from where Sony made missteps with the Pro. I just plain can’t afford to drop $500 on it since I would also have to rebuild my multi platform library and it couldn’t replace my Pro for exclusive games.

I do think it’s a huge upgrade from the base Xbox One though. Much better hardware direction. If that’s what I was upgrading from I would be salivating.

Hawk269

I don't think the Xbox One X will be the demise of Sony or the PRO. I have a PRO and will have an Xbox One X. The difference for me is that every 3rd party game will now be bought on the Xbox One X, exclusives on Xbox will be on Xbox One X, but PRO will still have it's own games worth it.

statham

I kept saying when everyone was saying games would look like Pro games but slightly higher reso, that the 4gb was a game changer. *pats self on back*

Top Bottom