• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF]: The Last of Us Part 1 PC vs PS5 - A Disappointing Port With Big Problems To Address

RobRSG

But the worst was yet to come. The latest patch has fucked up 4k DLSS Quality mode adding shimmering not to just distant buildings but also stuff right around you. Looks fine when you arent moving, but as soon as you start moving, the shimmering starts affecting like 30-40% of the objects on screen. windows, foliage, just random drapes. its very odd and looks terrible. might as well be playing at 1080p.
This is because they fixed the Sharpness Slider and the default value there is 30, turn it down to 0 and you are good to go.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I went back to this after finishing RE4 and Horizon Burning shores and its still a mess.

The latest patch fucked up my game files again. Crashes on load. Game told me to verify game files. Third time in a row now. I do it and it finds 9 files it needs to update. No other game has done anything like this for me on Steam. And ive been on steam since Half Life 2 came out.

Anyway, game builds shaders again. First it did it after the patch then again after the verification. I hate everything about this shader compilation process.

But the worst was yet to come. The latest patch has fucked up 4k DLSS Quality mode adding shimmering not to just distant buildings but also stuff right around you. Looks fine when you arent moving, but as soon as you start moving, the shimmering starts affecting like 30-40% of the objects on screen. windows, foliage, just random drapes. its very odd and looks terrible. might as well be playing at 1080p.

Got to the tunnels with Sam and Henry and the first room which is a tiny 10X10 room caused stuttering all the way down to 5 fps. Had trouble just quitting out the game. Memory leak is clearly still there after a month.

EDIT: I will say one thing. The lighting and the character models in cutscenes are extraordinary. It is insane just how drab the game looks after you switch from cutscenes to gameplay. Henry's character model is nuts. Ellie looks stunning. When can we get this level of fidelity in gameplay?

I finished the main game yesterday and started “Left Behind”. This game has serious optimization problems to the point where after reaching another area the game starts running like crap, restarting it alleviates most of the frame spikes you see.

No Gsync can save you here.
This port is so fucked up most YouTube worst PC ports tops videos put it right there around Batman Arkham Knight and some others compare it to last gen versions of Cyberpunk at launch, it's just so badly done I wanted to ask GAF if it was safe to buy now... Seems like it won't ever be.

But remember, "it's not the game, PC gamers complain but they have to upgrade because cross gen ended and PS5 magic optimization can't be replicated unless you get a 3080ti and even then you'll have stutters, PC gamers just don't understand this is the first (lol) truly current gen game they get with Cerny blessing and they should upgrade instead of complaining"... Or more importantly, "just get a PS5" as if the game looks any better than other actual current gen games on PC like A Plague Tale Requiem.

Anyway, I'll just get a PS5 honestly, not for this game alone but I'll rather play it there than having to deal with one of the worst PC ports ever, because it is.

Last edited:

RobRSG

This port is so fucked up most YouTube worst PC ports tops videos put it right there around Batman Arkham Knight and some others compare it to last gen versions of Cyberpunk at launch, it's just so badly done I wanted to ask GAF if it was safe to buy now... Seems like it won't ever be.

But remember, "it's not the game, PC gamers complain but they have to upgrade because cross gen ended and PS5 magic optimization can't be replicated unless you get a 3080ti and even then you'll have stutters, PC gamers just don't understand this is the first (lol) truly current gen game they get with Cerny blessing and they should upgrade instead of complaining"... Or more importantly, "just get a PS5" as if the game looks any better than other actual current gen games on PC like A Plague Tale Requiem.

Anyway, I'll just get a PS5 honestly, not for this game alone but I'll rather play it there than having to deal with one of the worst PC ports ever, because it is.
All this talk about how demanding the game is will vanish as soon as they do some optimization work, which is promised to begin with the next patch.

I got this game on Steam because I had years and years of CSGO loot boxes and that made a small fortune. Could grab this and Dead Space for “free”. I could have bought it on PS5, but then it wouldn’t be family shareable as my brother doesn’t have a PS5. To summarize I was able to complete the main campaign, while my brother said he can’t play as the game is a stutter nightmare on his rig.

RagnarokIV

Jumped back into it now there's been a few patches. On a 13600k and 3070 I'm not getting the crashes anymore, but the characters hair still looks a bit shit. The strands are full of jaggies, which I believe was not a thing on the PS5 when I payed it.

Also, textures seem to look bad from a distance until you get close up. But texture settings or LOD are all at high.

ClosBSAS

Jumped back into it now there's been a few patches. On a 13600k and 3070 I'm not getting the crashes anymore, but the characters hair still looks a bit shit. The strands are full of jaggies, which I believe was not a thing on the PS5 when I payed it.

Also, textures seem to look bad from a distance until you get close up. But texture settings or LOD are all at high.
patch next week will address textures and performance.

Nihilum

So what actually happened here did Naughty Dog start doing the port themselves and then realised they needed outside help from Iron Galaxy or is Iron Galaxy to blame as usual? I thought ND were doing the port themselves??

BLAME MUST BE APPORTIONED!!

yamaci17

what resolution?

Puscifer

Seems to run fine on Linux though.

Vulkan man, I'm not doing linux gaming anymore because it got to be a PITA managing 2 systems between Work, School and Gaming activities but what it does is magic when it comes to rendering and shader compilation.

Last edited:

RobRSG

So what actually happened here did Naughty Dog start doing the port themselves and then realised they needed outside help from Iron Galaxy or is Iron Galaxy to blame as usual? I thought ND were doing the port themselves??

Good question, man. I think this port is a disaster as big as the Ultra Street Fighter 4 PS4 port from Other Ocean, where they hired QLOC to fix the mess.

yamaci17

I've tried 1080 and 1440. I've played with DLSS on quality but it adds too much jaggies and shimmering.
well, your problem could be DLSS. I'd say try native 1440p taa without DLSS

granted, I didn't have a jaggy issue on hairs at 4k dlss performance, but maybe it breaks up at 1440p

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

ND ported it themselves and Iron Galaxy was brought in at the very end to help ship it on time.

They likely used Iron Galaxy to deflect the blame from them. It's why they've been including them in every single tweet even though its their game and their mess. ND is something else.

SlimySnake

Man the stuttering in the tunnels was really really bad. my vram usage hovers around 8.5GB so im not sure why im getting stutters in tiny rooms.

Jackson dips to 40 fps but its one of the biggest areas in the game with lots of foliage so that makes sense. Still, a 3080 running the game internally at 1440p should not be going down to fucking 40 fps.

As we predicted, this game isnt going to be fixed in weeks. We are a month in now and the game is still in a really bad state. Ive gone below my vram settings but its still a stuttering mess. I dont know if they ever get this fixed. There is no way im buying factions on PC. I dont care if its day one like herman said. This is a scam.
Turn Sharpness to 0 and you will be fine.
This worked for me. Thanks.

yamaci17

Man the stuttering in the tunnels was really really bad. my vram usage hovers around 8.5GB so im not sure why im getting stutters in tiny rooms.

Jackson dips to 40 fps but its one of the biggest areas in the game with lots of foliage so that makes sense. Still, a 3080 running the game internally at 1440p should not be going down to fucking 40 fps.

As we predicted, this game isnt going to be fixed in weeks. We are a month in now and the game is still in a really bad state. Ive gone below my vram settings but its still a stuttering mess. I dont know if they ever get this fixed. There is no way im buying factions on PC. I dont care if its day one like herman said. This is a scam.

you're most likely cpu limited
try nvidia frame cap, really, not much I can suggest any further

as I said before... it hardly has anything to do with VRAM. game is super cpu bound at times. I forgot what ur cpu is but even a 5800x won't guarantee locked 60 in this game

btw u will get stutters in transational areas. this transtional area can be transparent.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

you're most likely cpu limited
try nvidia frame cap, really, not much I can suggest any further

as I said before... it hardly has anything to do with VRAM. game is super cpu bound at times. I forgot what ur cpu is but even a 5800x won't guarantee locked 60 in this game

btw u will get stutters in transational areas. this transtional area can be transparent.
I have an i7-11700k that can hit 5.0 GHz. This thing is a power hog but its an amazing CPU when it comes to performance. Ive never had any issues like this.

yamaci17

I have an i7-11700k that can hit 5.0 GHz. This thing is a power hog but its an amazing CPU when it comes to performance. Ive never had any issues like this.
lol dunno maybe game utilizes that cpu in a bad way. I've uninstalled the game I'm really tired of benchmarking it :/ but even If i present my own video , it will change nothing on ur end so i think we can call it pointless at this point

but I don't remember stutters in jackson hydro dam (?) how can game run more smoother on my craptastic ryzen 2700 and 16 gb ram?

btw 4k dlss quality despite being internal 1440p, will have a rendering+VRAM cost around 1600-1700p.and as I said before, game performs %30-45 better on ps5 compared to equivalent hardware. that will hardly change.

stutters... are a different story

Last edited:

SlimySnake

lol dunno maybe game utilizes that cpu in a bad way. I've uninstalled the game I'm really tired of benchmarking it :/ but even If i present my own video , it will change nothing on ur end so i think we can call it pointless at this point

but I don't remember stutters in jackson hydro dam (?) how can game run more smoother on my craptastic ryzen 2700 and 16 gb ram?

btw 4k dlss quality despite being internal 1440p, will have a rendering+VRAM cost around 1600-1700p.and as I said before, game performs %30-45 better on ps5 compared to equivalent hardware. that will hardly change.

stutters... are a different story
Nah, like I said, the fps drops to 40 fps make sense in Jackson because obviously the GPU load is higher than it is in other smaller areas. I dont get much stuttering there, just drops to 40 fps.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Vulkan man, I'm not doing linux gaming anymore because it got to be a PITA managing 2 systems but what it does is magic when it comes to rendering and shader compilation.
Multiple stutters and inconsistent framerate running elden ring on windows DX12

On linux using DXVK. smooth as fuck even when dipping to 40fps.

Vulkan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DirectX any day of the week.

Last edited:

RobRSG

One thing that helped with the stutters was forcing ReBar with Nvidia Profile Inspector. Too bad I only found out one or two encounters before finishing Left Behind.

yamaci17

One thing that helped with the stutters was forcing ReBar with Nvidia Profile Inspector. Too bad I only found out one or two encounters before finishing Left Behind.
if anything that may worsen things, as rebar pushes 1-1.5 gb additiona vram depending the game. rebar is a useless gimmick on 8-10-12 gb cards (which is why nv will keep not whitelisting many games)

rebar is only reliable with 16 gb cards. for 8-10-12 gb cards its okay with games that has low vram footprint (like rdr2 ac valhalla). but them are old games anyways

Last edited:

RobRSG

if anything that may worsen things, as rebar pushes 1-1.5 gb additiona vram depending the game. rebar is a useless gimmick on 8-10-12 gb cards (which is why nv will keep not whitelisting many games)

rebar is only reliable with 16 gb cards. for 8-10-12 gb cards its okay with games that has low vram footprint (like rdr2 ac valhalla). but them are old games anyways
Not in my experience.

Hoddi

So I made some frame captures comparing the Uncharted collection against TLOU. These games don't work in RenderDoc so I used nSight instead. Look on the upper right and you'll see number of textures and buffers in each scene.

Uncharted LL = 7317 textures and 336 buffers
Uncharted LL = 6986 textures and 370 buffers
TLOU = 17385 textures and 879 buffers

In both cases, the largest textures (outside of render targets) are 2048x2048 but with the vast majority being 512x512 and 1024x1024. The reason that TLOU uses more VRAM doesn't seem caused by having higher resolution textures and buffers but simply by having far more of them. So don't hold your breath on patches fixing anything unless they start removing textures from the game.

Welcome to the next-gen I guess.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
So I made some frame captures comparing the Uncharted collection against TLOU. These games don't work in RenderDoc so I used nSight instead. Look on the upper right and you'll see number of textures and buffers in each scene.

In both cases, the largest textures (outside of render targets) are 2048x2048 but with the vast majority being 512x512 and 1024x1024. The reason that TLOU uses more VRAM doesn't seem caused by having higher resolution textures and buffers but simply by having far more of them. So don't hold your breath on patches fixing anything unless they start removing textures from the game.

The alternative could be using SFS and/or DirectStorage so the VRAM isn't full with standby assets, am I right? It could also improve the general performance by quite a bit (I'm not graphic engineer but I do programming as my job and lots of game dev on Unity so I think I kinda get how it works on that domain)

Not that they'll do so for this game anyway.

RagnarokIV

Just got the the sniping standoff area with Henry and Sam... DAMN the stutter has arrived. Pretty much immediately after leaving Ish's hideout. Was mostly fine up until this point.

SlimySnake

Well, the latest patch is the real deal. Fixed almost all of my issues. Almost no stutters now. VRAM usage is down by at least a gig, if not more. they've fixed the OS allocation meter. In game vram usage is down too.

The jackson power plant area that was only 40 fps a couple of days ago is now a locked 60 fps with GPU room to spare. No crashes to main menu, no real stutters down to 5 fps after a good prolonged hour and a half long section.

The new texture streaming rate setting might be responsible. I didnt notice a difference between default and maxed out in terms of pop-in. I think i caught maybe 1 pop-in while traversing the power plant but very hard to say. At 1.5x streaming rate, i didnt notice any LOD pop-ins but the GPU usage went up by around 600MB. Not bad. I did have a few micro stutters every now and then but not a big deal.

Shader compilation was also much shorter. Maybe 10 minutes compared to 35 minutes earlier this week. Game loads twice as fast. Boot to menu time is now just a second or two. Used to the 30 seconds. Guess they finally fixed the game.

Last edited:

X-Wing

Linux >>>>>>> Windows any day of the week.
Praise The Lord Applause GIF

RagnarokIV

New update is the one. Fixed pretty much all my issues too, played through to the Jackson plant and runs smooth! Also have everything on ultra 1440p, that keeps me around 60 but I went with DLSS quality which gets me around 80-90 so far.

RobRSG

This post aged like milk after the current update.

Less VRAM usage, better textures on low and Medium… I guess optimizing is the way.

Guilty_AI

Oh so…it wasn’t a problem inherent with PCs as a platform? It was a shoddy/rushed port that would eventually be fixed like PC enthusiasts were saying when it came out?

pokemon what GIF
Of course not, its just that Cerny and Naughty God took pity on the PC peasants and decided to make the ps5 magic sauce transcend platform space-time and work on everyone's PC running TLoU. For just this one game of course, and only for users that give a daily prayer to Ken Kutaragi.

Buggy Loop

Of course not, its just that Cerny and Naughty God took pity on the PC peasants and decided to make the ps5 magic sauce transcend platform space-time and work on everyone's PC running TLoU. For just this one game of course, and only for users that give a daily prayer to Ken Kutaragi.

pretty-cool-cerny.gif

So many posts in this thread aged like milk. I warned them. Some peoples pretty to die on a very short window hill than to take a step back and use their brain for a bit.

How can this game be fixed without PC not implementing PCIe 5 gen SSDs?

onQ123

pretty-cool-cerny.gif

So many posts in this thread aged like milk. I warned them. Some peoples pretty to die on a very short window hill than to take a step back and use their brain for a bit.

How can this game be fixed without PC not implementing PCIe 5 gen SSDs?
It's called a work around they added a slider so the streaming level can be lowered & raised which proves it was the slower I/O causing the problem.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
It's called a work around they added a slider so the streaming level can be lowered & raised which proves it was the slower I/O causing the problem.
Or go try it yourself instead of staying stupid shit. Medium textures apparently look much better now. Nothing to do with I/O and you should stop clinging onto that fantasy.

Improved texture fidelity and resolution on in-game Low and Medium settings
Improved graphical fidelity on the in-game Low graphics preset, particularly water surfaces no longer appear black

It's the I/O gaiz!!!

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Call it whatever you want, but the idea moderate PCs can’t outperform current gen consoles because PCs inherently can’t or because VRAM is suddenly a huge limiting factor should be put to rest. If a developer takes the time to write to the platform, it turns out great. Releasing shoddy ports is therefore not an indictment of the hardware but of bad business decisions being made.

Kataploom

Gold Member
New update is the one. Fixed pretty much all my issues too, played through to the Jackson plant and runs smooth! Also have everything on ultra 1440p, that keeps me around 60 but I went with DLSS quality which gets me around 80-90 so far.
So no PS5 Cerny's Touch but a broken port? No way...

Shocked Oh No GIF by Yêu Lu

Hoddi

This post aged like milk after the current update.

Less VRAM usage, better textures on low and Medium… I guess optimizing is the way.
Yep, I just tested the patch and I'll take that hit. Medium textures are greatly improved.

I also noticed that they now allow you to lower the streaming pool size. This alone shaves off almost 2GB and it's baffling that it wasn't an option before. They warn that you might notice more pop-in but I really couldn't notice any. It also makes me wonder if it's equal to the PS5 setting at 1.0.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Yep, I just tested the patch and I'll take that hit. Medium textures are greatly improved.

I also noticed that they now allow you to lower the streaming pool size. This alone shaves off almost 2GB and it's baffling that it wasn't an option before. They warn that you might notice more pop-in but I really couldn't notice any. It also makes me wonder if it's equal to the PS5 setting at 1.0.
At least you're manning up and admitting it. There's a bunch of posters who will remain quiet and next time a shit PC port comes out, they'll again crawl out of the woodwork with their I/O nonsense and promptly disappear once the port gets fixed a month later.

SlimySnake

At least you're manning up and admitting it. There's a bunch of posters who will remain quiet and next time a shit PC port comes out, they'll again crawl out of the woodwork with their I/O nonsense and promptly disappear once the port gets fixed a month later.
Star Wars is fixed too. See the other thread.

Top Bottom