• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF]: The Last of Us Part 1 PC vs PS5 - A Disappointing Port With Big Problems To Address

Kataploom

Gold Member
I can’t with this game. 10 minutes to download the patch. 30 minutes for it to install. I thought cerny said this would be a thing of the past three years ago.

Then the game says I’m not up to date on drivers. Fine but geforce now said I’m up to date so i start and it starts to rebuild shaders from 50%. Another 15 minutes pass and i can finally launch the game. It crashes. I reboot and it doesn’t even get to the main menu. Crashes. Tells me to verify game files on steam.

Sigh. Fine. It found four corrupted files and fixed them. Reboot. Crashes. Tells me to download the new drivers again.

I look online for this driver and yes, nvidia did release a hotfix on their website but not on geforce experience for some reason. I install it and to my horror, it starts to rebuild shades from scratch. Last time it took 40 minutes while my cpu ran at 85 degrees and 100% utilization like it’s sone cinebench benchmark.

I’m so done with this port.
I'm salty as fuck at Nioh, just finished Sekiro and loved it so started Nioh and the game is CHEAP as fuck... so I decided I'm not on the mood to play something like that, wanted something casual to spare among big hitters and started thinking about buying TLOU considering the patch came out today... Then read your post and F... Maybe later lol

Alex11

While I agree that the state of PC gaming has been worse than ever. Especially the last six months or so, what this port is doing is simply unheard of. We have seen awful performance from hogwarts, gotham knights, and witcher 3, but thats mostly been tied to RT. RE4's crashes are exclusive to the RT mode. Turn off RT and all games run smooth as butter. TLOU doesnt even have RT. I can understand it being hard to optimize RT games for non fixed hardware, but standard rasterized games like TLOU?

And like said, we just havent seen CPU or VRAM usage like this before. 6GB at low 1080p with textures so poor they would look out of place in PS3 games? 100% CPU utilization with no NPCs, no physics, destruction, or anything happening on screen? WHy is staring a wall causing CPU to be pegged at 100%? If its not bugged then its poor engineering.

Again, if this was an open world game and they were using Cernys magic sauce to stream in data all the time then fine, but this game's levels are split into chunks and they literally do all the loading while you sneak through corridors or help ellie up ladders. There is no streaming going on while they are in a level. So why the 20GB system ram usage and 100% CPU utilization?

Ive been meaning to create threads on just how poor the PC ports have been lately, but using this game to show that when its actual issues are an outlier is unfair and simply inaccurate. This is ND's first foray into PC game development and they've simply botched it.
So an open world game is normally more demanding than a linear one and based on smaller levels? I'm really rusty in tech stuff, so it's an honest question.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So an open world game is normally more demanding than a linear one and based on smaller levels? I'm really rusty in tech stuff, so it's an honest question.
On the vram yes Because devs have to constantly stream In data to prepare for where the player might head to next. In a linear game the devs know exactly which level is next and naughty dog devised all those ladder climbing boost me up sections to mask loading.

Mark cerny had a slide where he pointed out how something like 20% of vram is used up by data and assets that could potentially be on screen Next if the player decided to get in a car or a plane. In a linear game that is not a concern.

SlimySnake

Shaders rebuilt. Game booted up fine. Went to disable HDR in the settings so I could capture a screenshot to show some really poor rubble on the ground (Geforce produces JXR files for HDR images) and boom, game froze. Then crashed. All i did was go into settings.

It's like Naughty Dog knew i was about to shit on the game.

Pedro Motta

I can’t with this game. 10 minutes to download the patch. 30 minutes for it to install. I thought cerny said this would be a thing of the past three years ago.

Then the game says I’m not up to date on drivers. Fine but geforce now said I’m up to date so i start and it starts to rebuild shaders from 50%. Another 15 minutes pass and i can finally launch the game. It crashes. I reboot and it doesn’t even get to the main menu. Crashes. Tells me to verify game files on steam.

Sigh. Fine. It found four corrupted files and fixed them. Reboot. Crashes. Tells me to download the new drivers again.

I look online for this driver and yes, nvidia did release a hotfix on their website but not on geforce experience for some reason. I install it and to my horror, it starts to rebuild shades from scratch. Last time it took 40 minutes while my cpu ran at 85 degrees and 100% utilization like it’s sone cinebench benchmark.

I’m so done with this port.
PC gaming in a nutshell.

ChiefDada

Gold Member

I disagree with the idea that open world games are by default more reliant on streaming than linear games. In fact, I'd say the opposite is often true. That goes double for PS first party games a la God of War and the TLOU remake. As I mentioned before, each area is bespoke with a wide diversity of assets. No structure looks the same. You are often going in and out of one immaculate interior to the next. Consider the Capitol Building cutscene with Ellie Joel and Tess (truly a spectacle), or the College campus. You really can't say the same about an open world like Spiderman it's nice but same-y

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Using medium textures rather than ultra should allow you to survive the onslaught of PS5’s power.

Woah, let's not push the boat out. I'll be losing 40 percent performance, some guy asked another guy at nvidia...Trust me....for 24gb I'll go with low textures. Maybe next gpu I can push to medium and try match the ps5. Problem is, then the ps5 Pro will be out and I'll need 64gb of vram.....

Hard life being a pc gamer.

Yeah it's amazing isn't it.

My ps5 and series X never have firmware updates or have games patch themselves. It only ever happens on my PC. Oh wait......
Those uprdates usually happen when i have my consoles on sleep mode lmao. I barely even notice any updates happening.

PC gaming is something I’ll never bother with. It all sounds like a nightmare. Just reading topics on pc gaming gives me a headache. I’ll always prefer to buy a piece of hardware I know most games will work for the next 5 years without me having to lose my patience.

Braag

My ps5 and series X never have firmware updates or have games patch themselves. It only ever happens on my PC. Oh wait......
You're arguing with people who come into threads just to troll, it's like talking to brick wall. I find it easier to just throw them to the ignore bin and forget them.

daninthemix

Guys the point isn't the quality of the port (or lack in this case). The point is that the PlayStation has been cuckolded out of yet another exclusive.

Guilty_AI

PC gaming is something I’ll never bother with. It all sounds like a nightmare. Just reading topics on pc gaming gives me a headache.
See thats the problem. You and some other users hear a lot, read a lot, and still decide to speak about the whole ecosystem as if you have first hand experience.

"PC gaming sucks! It has never been worse than now!"
-Poster that doesn't play on PC.

Last edited:

Sanepar

Those uprdates usually happen when i have my consoles on sleep mode lmao. I barely even notice any updates happening.

PC gaming is something I’ll never bother with. It all sounds like a nightmare. Just reading topics on pc gaming gives me a headache. I’ll always prefer to buy a piece of hardware I know most games will work for the next 5 years without me having to lose my patience.
So why are u on a pc thread? Just to troll? U know steam do the same with patches right?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
PC gaming in a nutshell.

Yup, deffo just a pc problem and nothing to do with an incompetent pc developer. I've never had any patches on my ps5 and had to wait for it to install longer than it took to download. It's just an amazing piece of hardware that everything works and looks amazing day one of release. Gotta love consoles

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Yup, deffo just a pc problem and nothing to do with an incompetent pc developer. I've never had any patches on my ps5 and had to wait for it to install longer than it took to download. It's just an amazing piece of hardware that everything works and looks amazing day one of release. Gotta love consoles

Damn straight. And don't you ever forget it.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Damn straight. And don't you ever forget it.
American Housewife No GIF by ABC Network

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Turned it on last night. Update must’ve installed automatically as there was no prompt to do so.

Maybe a little less VRAM usage, and that’s about it. Game was already running more CPU efficient the night before with AMD’s latest driver release, and since I compiled shaders then, I didn’t have to do so again.

Guess I’ll focus on playing through it tonight.

See thats the problem. You and some other users hear a lot, read a lot, and still decide to speak about the whole ecosystem as if you have first hand experience.

That is not what i said. Not even close. Sounds like projecting to me.
So why are u on a pc thread? Just to troll? U know steam do the same with patches right?
Because i wanted to check if Naughty Dog was any closer to have a decent pc version of one if my favorite games ever since i told a few friends to hold on and not buy this yet. Just because I don’t play on pc doesn’t mean everyone I know agrees with me. Also saying I don’t like something shouldn’t bother you like this and it’s not considered trolling but okay.

Verchod

It shouldn't matter what the original hardware was that this game ran on, a port is a port and therefore you adapt it to whatever your porting it to. If you know you've taken advantage of specific features that don't exist on other platforms, surely you'll know you have to change it.

Fake

He is one of the most fanboys around here. IDK what you expected from him.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Shame PC players cant enjoy this the way it should be. It was legit my runner up GOTY last year. Played amazing, looked amazing. I had a fucking blast. Hadn't played it since the PS4 remaster. Yet I ran through this remake twice.

On PC this should be a flawless, utterly beautiful experience. But seems like its a nightmare.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Shame PC players cant enjoy this the way it should be. It was legit my runner up GOTY last year. Played amazing, looked amazing. I had a fucking blast. Hadn't played it since the PS4 remaster. Yet I ran through this remake twice.

On PC this should be a flawless, utterly beautiful experience. But seems like its a nightmare.

You shouldn't feel too bad for them, the 4090 types can run it 4k60+. It looks insane in native 4k. But yeah it's an excellent looking game. I dare anyone to find a game with better cutscenes.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

It's one of the smoothest and most consistent experiences I've had on PC in a long time. Not a single stutter, crash, or bug for me so far. 70-80fps at 4K Ultra max settings. Sure, I should probably get above 100fps on a 4090 but at above 60 and without hitches, I ain't going to complain. I also lock to 120fps at 3440x1440+DLSS Quality most of the time so eh.

You shouldn't need a $3500 rig to get a good experience though. But I did hear many people on mid-tier and over lower-end rigs say it runs perfectly for them.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

Look at these geniuses.

Tell me the last time you had to do shader caching after installing drivers and/or install a patch on a console?

The last time you had to change drivers to a game compatible one, risking issues with other games?

These are issues SPECIFICALLY from the PC platform, what the fuck are you on about?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Look at these geniuses.

Tell me the last time you had to do shader caching after installing drivers and/or install a patch on a console?

The last time you had to change drivers to a game compatible one, risking issues with other games?

These are issues SPECIFICALLY from the PC platform, what the fuck are you on about?

I have loaded pc games that say compiling shaders. Only call of duty I think but then call of duty has done massive updates on console that I've had to sit there for

I've never once rolled back drivers personally but yes i have seen that is a thing. but I have seen companies like Sony and ubosoft completely destroy 60 fps modes on games with patches on consoles to the point you have to go out and buy a disk to play the unpatched version.

But look at you Mr genius sat here like consoles aren't just as shit as pcs now. We've literally just seen capcom destroy image quality on the series x version of resident evil and had to patch the ps5 version from being a broken iq mess with flashing lights like your gpu is breaking. That's just a game in the last two weeks never mind every game released this gen.

Remember horizon forbidden west at launch on ps5....

Thebonehead

Banned
Look at these geniuses.

Only had real pain with tlou. Shader compilation is normally a breeze for me with a 12900k and 4090 combo.

This title is an outlier though and a complete mess all round so not looking forward to going through the pain of shader compilation again.

Calverz

So I got to the part early on with the heavy rain (don't want to spoil for others) and my CPU was hitting 91'C. In game, there was a sewage pipe with lots of water running out of it. Part of the water included what looked like unfinished sprites. It was lot of small 2d blue squares lol. I also noticed a lot of 2d sprites for the rainfall bouncing off the pools of water. It looked like complete shite lol. I wish I took screenshots of this but I am lazy.

Last edited:

drotahorror

Why on earth are you in this thread bro? Everytime I turn my ps5 on or xbox I have to download patches for games. Just did the whole song and dance on ps5 last night when I wanted to play UFC. In fact, I have to go to every game manually and check for patches as PS5 doesn't bother checking until you boot a game.

Games on steam can be updated whenever you want. They can be automatic and set to only download at times you specify:
CQR3P9Z.jpg

You are on some dumb shit.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Why on earth are you in this thread bro? Everytime I turn my ps5 on or xbox I have to download patches for games. Just did the whole song and dance on ps5 last night when I wanted to play UFC. In fact, I have to go to every game manually and check for patches as PS5 doesn't bother checking until you boot a game.

Games on steam can be updated whenever you want. They can be automatic and set to only download at times you specify:
CQR3P9Z.jpg

Uh, nah broski you can set it to update automatically on PS5 too. All my games update automagically.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Just think about this.....we literally have people blaming pc gaming for shit developers releasing a sub par product....

This is where we are at....
Because you have three things here they can't stand: Ever calling ND shit at anything, that PC gaming is the best platform for many people and PS losing their previous exclusive club, how dare those mud bloods outside of PS touch our precious and yet complain about it? They should thank Sony to even breath around them.

To be fair, I tried to exaggerate but I think I fell short lol, they look like that, honestly 🤔

BTW any comments on last patch improvement? I'm waiting for the game to finally run decent to pull the trigger, I need a casual straightforward cinematic game to play before big hitters (to me those are another Souls-like or big JRPG).

Last edited:

CQR3P9Z.jpg

Instead of that screenshot you should’ve used google to check why your ps5 games don’t update automatically because they clearly can.

I also never mentioned pc games can’t be updated automatically? My original post wa ms clearly about hardware, not software.

But quoting you, “You are on some dumb shit.” Indeed

Last edited:

SlimySnake

The issue isn’t automatic updates, it’s not the download time that’s the issue. Its the damn copy after download time that is an issue on both the ps5 and pc despite this being a next Gen only title. I have 1gbps internet so everything downloads in minutes but then i have to wait forever for it to the copy.

Cerny specially said next Gen ssds and games designed around them would no longer need to do that. At this point I’m better off uninstalling the games and letting them download from scratch.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Lol what the hell is going on in here?

Anyways, both console and PC players should all be celebrating how amazingly beautiful this next gen game is. 4090 peeps, show me something! I want screenshots dammit!

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

Anyways, both console and PC players should all be celebrating how amazingly beautiful this next gen game is. 4090 peeps, show me something! I want screenshots dammit!
Looks worse than TLOU2 while eating lots of RAM without even any RT effect. Next gen is PS6.

At least have non retarded and deficient gunplay now, but the retarded auto aim on that upside down part is still there. -_-''''''''''''''''''''

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

Thought it looked the same as the PS5 version with very slight upgrades.

3440x1440 max settings. I'm lousy at taking pictures so you'll have to make do with that.

WUCJqdF.jpg
porsR6e.jpg
T6UCPtO.jpg
UMwm2v0.jpg
ASicRPt.jpg
HS6AsKz.jpg
CSqjM2O.jpg
8YpgY1H.jpg
KZG4Lta.jpg

SlimySnake

I went back to this after finishing RE4 and Horizon Burning shores and its still a mess.

The latest patch fucked up my game files again. Crashes on load. Game told me to verify game files. Third time in a row now. I do it and it finds 9 files it needs to update. No other game has done anything like this for me on Steam. And ive been on steam since Half Life 2 came out.

Anyway, game builds shaders again. First it did it after the patch then again after the verification. I hate everything about this shader compilation process.

But the worst was yet to come. The latest patch has fucked up 4k DLSS Quality mode adding shimmering not to just distant buildings but also stuff right around you. Looks fine when you arent moving, but as soon as you start moving, the shimmering starts affecting like 30-40% of the objects on screen. windows, foliage, just random drapes. its very odd and looks terrible. might as well be playing at 1080p.

Got to the tunnels with Sam and Henry and the first room which is a tiny 10X10 room caused stuttering all the way down to 5 fps. Had trouble just quitting out the game. Memory leak is clearly still there after a month.

EDIT: I will say one thing. The lighting and the character models in cutscenes are extraordinary. It is insane just how drab the game looks after you switch from cutscenes to gameplay. Henry's character model is nuts. Ellie looks stunning. When can we get this level of fidelity in gameplay?

Last edited:

Sure. Game looks great! All shots are 2560p+ native res in ultrawide. No DLSS or FSR or anything. Game looks incredible in motion at these resolutions at around 40fps.. it can't be overstated how complete stable the image quality is at those resolutions. Screenshots really don't do it justice honestly.

20230401233709-1.jpg

20230403182930-1.jpg

20230405024555-1.jpg

20230409123239-1.jpg

20230409123713-1.jpg

20230416102930-1.jpg

20230416103459-1.jpg

20230331223731-1.jpg

20230401232439-1.jpg

Last edited:

drotahorror

EDIT: I will say one thing. The lighting and the character models in cutscenes are extraordinary. It is insane just how drab the game looks after you switch from cutscenes to gameplay. Henry's character model is nuts. Ellie looks stunning. When can we get this level of fidelity in gameplay?

What I don't understand is why we don't get atleast the option to play with cutscene models. Like in Shadow of War, the prerendered cutscene characters look good but not that much better than in-game. Would be nice to just have the option to play with higher fidelity character models. Even if it was incredibly taxing, a disclaimer could be made before turning them on.

SlimySnake

Sure. Game looks great! All shots are 2560p+ native res in ultrawide. No DLSS or FSR or anything. Game looks incredible in motion at these resolutions at around 40fps.. it can't be overstated how complete stable the image quality is at those resolutions. Screenshots really don't do it justice honestly.

20230401233709-1.jpg

20230403182930-1.jpg

20230405024555-1.jpg

20230409123239-1.jpg

20230409123713-1.jpg

20230416102930-1.jpg

20230416103459-1.jpg

20230331223731-1.jpg

20230401232439-1.jpg
eh im playing it right now. mix of ultra and high settings and I think your pics look almost identical to whats on my screen. The game just doesnt look as good during normal gameplay. Cutscenes look way better which shouldnt be happening in a game with realtime cutscenes.

RobRSG

I finished the main game yesterday and started “Left Behind”. This game has serious optimization problems to the point where after reaching another area the game starts running like crap, restarting it alleviates most of the frame spikes you see.

No Gsync can save you here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom