• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF]: The Last of Us Part 1 PC vs PS5 - A Disappointing Port With Big Problems To Address

Hoddi

@SlimySnake okay here it is with High preset (except textures)

what do you think? looks okay to me, similar to ps5. there are dithering artifacts that I believe caused by DLSS

recording brutalizes the performance at 4K, sorry

That reflection you see in the PS5 version follows the Image Based Lighting setting and is not part of the reflection settings. Disable that and the reflection disappears.

What you're seeing in the PC version is that same IBL reflection but with SSR applied on top of it. It doesn't look very good, in my opinion, but that is why they look different.

BruhTrips

Neo Member
These problems are not going away anytime soon and seem to be getting worse. PC development is complex due to all the possible hardware arrangements. If you are a PC gamer, you must simply accept these issues and I guess be grateful that stuff like TLOU is even coming out for your platform to begin with.
If you are charging a large sum of money for a port, as a publisher it is reasonable to expect that port to at least work.

Give your developers enough time and don't rush the port to market.

PC development is complex yes, this is why if your staff needs more time for polishing, they really should be given more time to do that.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
These problems are not going away anytime soon and seem to be getting worse. PC development is complex due to all the possible hardware arrangements. If you are a PC gamer, you must simply accept these issues and I guess be grateful that stuff like TLOU is even coming out for your platform to begin with.

Can you please explain to me how all these other companies do PC ports fine. Outside of stupid unreal engine issues, PC ports are genuinely fantastic?

No one needs to accept anything, a company should be expected to deliver quality products or their shit goes straight in the bin. Hence why this has plummeted down the steam charts.

Doesn't matter how good your game is if it's a turd in quality and performance. Hence the reviews and potential destruction of this games fan base outside of playstation....which is not what Sony wanted at all, I can guarantee you that. PC is sonys biggest growth opportunity and they fudged it.

No defending it.

I was so excited for this port, expected it to be excellent on PC but reality doesn't always line up with expectations and sometimes what you expect to be a no brained banger turns out to be the worst port in history since ass creed unity and cyberpunk console edition.

Last edited:
Can you please explain to me how all these other companies do PC ports fine. Outside of stupid unreal engine issues, PC ports are genuinely fantastic?

Are they really though? Been a lot of issues lately of ports not running all that well with bad performance or stuttering issues

Generally the less demanding the game is, the less issues there will be.

I’m not defending ND, the port should be better, but trying to optimize well for non fixed hardware isn’t easy

Anchovie123

@SlimySnake okay here it is with High preset (except textures)

what do you think? looks okay to me, similar to ps5. there are dithering artifacts that I believe caused by DLSS

recording brutalizes the performance at 4K, sorry

What is the problem here? This is SSR working as intended.

When he looks down at the reflection the tree is no longer in view so SSR breaks, the reflection then swaps to a cube map. Only RT can fix this.

Last edited:
Also, Nanite was the key feature of UE with it's ability to do software rasterization much faster/more efficient than GPU, which is why I say mesh shader isn't so amazing now. The ability to push 8k textures had more to do with PS5 decompression. Brian Karis admitted so himself.

You mean this Brian Karis that directly called you out?

"There's been a bunch of misconception that the [Lumen in the land of Nanite Demo] doesn't work anymore or requires or only runs on a PS5. It runs great on my PC." - Epic Games Brian Karis (Creator/Inventor of Nanite)

The SSD doesn't need to be as fast GDDR6. And are you aware of what SFS does and what it's trying to accomplish? If so, you would understand why PS5 wouldn't need it. Not to be crass, but SFS is a joke compared to PS5 i/o. Same goes with mesh shaders vs geometry engine.

Geometry Engine is a Vegas Tech (primitive shaders) while Mesh Shaders goes beyond it and its a RDNA2 tech

BruhTrips

Neo Member

No one needs to accept anything, a company should be expected to deliver quality products or their shit goes straight in the bin. Hence why this has plummeted down the steam charts.

Doesn't matter how good your game is if it's a turd in quality and performance. Hence the reviews and potential destruction of this games fan base outside of playstation....which is not what Sony wanted at all, I can guarantee you that. PC is sonys biggest growth opportunity and they fudged it.

No defending it.

I was so excited for this port, expected it to be excellent on PC but reality doesn't always line up with expectations and sometimes what you expect to be a no brained banger turns out to be the worst port in history since ass creed unity and cyberpunk console edition.
Theory really is that certain games are just easier to port, some games like Final Fantasy XV for instance, it was 2 years before a PC Port materialized and the publisher and the team wanted to make the PC Version the definitive. It really is a time and tools thing for them, publisher needs to give the dev team more time to port

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I’m not defending ND, the port should be better, but trying to optimize well for non fixed hardware isn’t easy

Whether it’s easy or not hundreds of developers manage to do it. This isn’t a hardware issue, it’s a developer issue - and whether they’re taking the time to do the job right - or shoving it out the door to fix later.
The latter being something we see on all platforms.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
You mean this Brian Karis that directly called you out?

Lol. I don't even know how to respond to this goofiness.

"There's been a bunch of misconception that the [Lumen in the land of Nanite Demo] doesn't work anymore or requires or only runs on a PS5. It runs great on my PC." - Epic Games Brian Karis (Creator/Inventor of Nanite)

This has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. Also, how many times have you referenced this exact quote and video? Give it a rest, weirdo.

yamaci17

Magic sauce strikes again. No mate, that is an understimation of PS5's skills. It has like 300+ GB worth of super speedy SSD which acts as a super duper RAM.

We gonna need 512 GB RAM as a baseline; 256 GB of it will be allocated as a RAMDisk and you will have to install the game into that RAMDisk to get barely locked 30 at 1080p on a 5090 while PS5 gets 8K 120 FPS ray tracing like a breeze.

Magic sauce bro. Believe me. Reengineering stuff for PC does not exist at all. Let's throw hardware because we want a horse to carry as much as load on its BACK as a camel. Let's not devise a cart that a horse can also carry without any problems; but instead; let's focus on the situation where we load all that load onto the horse's back (because why not, damn the horse, rite?). Despite a lot of devs have been reengineering their engines for horse to gracefully carry load by cart.

Why do that, PC sucks, ahem horse sucks, amirite? Yeah yeah, 32 GB VRAM, 64 GB RAM. Keep on, keeping on.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
PC is disappointing. According to an nVidia dev, you need like 32GB VRAM and 64GB of RAM to meet what PS5 is doing with its I/O with Direct Storage with a 20-40% hit on GPU performance:

Lol, what developer did that clown speak to? The one who told him about NVCache and that Ampere would have 5x the RT performance of Turing?

When asked about the performance hit of RTX IO on the GPU itself, an NVIDIA representative responded that RTX IO utilizes only a tiny fraction of the GPU, “probably not measurable”. Developers will have full freedom how they utilize RTX IO especially for games that are GPU-intensive, the developer understands the needs best and will have the best knowledge in which method to do.

Source

Moore's Law is Dead is a buffoon.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I wouldn't be surprised if the next big step for GPUs would be dedicated I/O decompression units. Similar to how GPUs have dedicated units for video encode/decode, tensor, rt, etc.
Maybe RTX 5000 and RX 8000 will have something to do this.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Anyway in the real world outside of PlayStation armchair experts explaining why it’s not a bad port, and that PC can’t match the PS5 supercomputer - I tested AMD’s latest driver release and it cut my CPU usage down by about one third.

We’ll see what Naughty Dog manages with today’s patch.

Zathalus

PC is disappointing. According to an nVidia dev, you need like 32GB VRAM and 64GB of RAM to meet what PS5 is doing with its I/O with Direct Storage with a 20-40% hit on GPU performance:

MLID? So basically senior person at Nvidia = making it the fuck up.

Directstorage benchmarks with I/O matching the very best PS5 has to offer has been out for a while now and on a 4080 the GPU impact is minor. VRAM usage when using it hardly matters either.

MLID should go back to telling us all about how RDNA4 is the next big thing (for real this time guys).

MLID? So basically senior person at Nvidia = making it the fuck up.

Directstorage benchmarks with I/O matching the very best PS5 has to offer has been out for a while now and on a 4080 the GPU impact is minor. VRAM usage when using it hardly matters either.

MLID should go back to telling us all about how RDNA4 is the next big thing (for real this time guys).
I enjoy his podcasts if I'm honest but...

The damage control he's been doing for RDNA 3 is hilarious and slightly pathetic, he's been pushing the "Nvidia is doomed" narrative for years now. I wonder how he's going to spin it when RDNA 4 is going to get smoked by Blackwell (50 Series).

Apologies for being off-topic.

Senua

The damage control he's been doing for RDNA 3 is hilarious and slightly pathetic, he's been pushing the "Nvidia is doomed" narrative for years now. I wonder how he's going to spin it when RDNA 4 is going to get smoked by Blackwell (50 Series).

Dudes always been and AMD fanboy who gets more things wrong than right, so no idea how he's so popular if i'm honest

OverHeat

« generous god »

Love u Bo but your the last person I would listen because your blue team allllll the way 😂

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Love u Bo but your the last person I would listen because your blue team allllll the way

i-love-you-i-love-you-girl.gif

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

I watched his channel for a few months, some years ago. Superficially he does make sense, but the more I watched the more I realized he knows very little about what he is talking.
And his "leaks" are a lot more miss than hit.
So I stop watching his videos and don't recommend it for anyone who has an interest in tech.
There are so many channels on youtube, that are much better source of tech information than MLID.

Gaiff

What difference does it make who the host of the interview is whether its MILD or someone else. The focus is always on what the developers are saying.
The difference is the part that Bo linked has that idiot claiming he spoke to a "senior person at NVIDIA" which we know is bullshit. This clown doesn't have any inside source because he always puts out a bunch of fake information he claims are leaked. No senior person at NVIDIA ever told him anything of the sort.

hlm666

So we need 64GB ram and 32 GB vram to do what tlou on ps5 does but not for spiderman? hmmm ok sure lol. Just out of curiosity how big is the installation? probably go close to getting it all in ram.......... Quick someone go ask red dick gaming what he thinks just to make sure his AMD sources verify that's the same for amd hardware we all know you can't trust anything nvidia says right?

winjer

Gold Member
What difference does it make who the host of the interview is whether its MILD or someone else. The focus is always on what the developers are saying.

When we see an interview with a dev, yes, we can trust what the dev is saying.
But MLID has so many times claimed things, from some unknown source, that told him something, and a few months later the game or hardware launches, and we find out it was complete BS.

Its pure nonesence and you know it. The guy is the biggest Sony & AMD fanboy, its ridiculous and he makes up pure lies. anyone who listens to his lies are people who desperately wants to believe it.

Last edited:

onQ123

PC guys already mad about Final fantasy thread & The Last Of Us port why would you do this 🤣

onQ123

So we need 64GB ram and 32 GB vram to do what tlou on ps5 does but not for spiderman? hmmm ok sure lol. Just out of curiosity how big is the installation? probably go close to getting it all in ram.......... Quick someone go ask red dick gaming what he thinks just to make sure his AMD sources verify that's the same for amd hardware we all know you can't trust anything nvidia says right?
Spiderman was a PS4 game

Gaiff

Spiderman was a PS4 game
Yet I see most people say TLOU Part II, which is a PS4 game, looks better than TLOU Part I on PS5.

Horizon: Forbidden West is widely lauded as the best-looking title on PS5 but it's an upgraded PS4 game.

TLOU Part I does nothing spectacular visually. I'm sure something like Spider-Man 2 will be a new visual benchmark and technical showcase that would justify horrendous performance on lower-spec'd PC. But a redrawn PS3 games with tiny environments and a world that is still tied to its PS3 roots? lol.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Sure but when they are not things get crazy & systems start crashing 😂
So you are basing this on a single bad port? It's not like you have anything else to back it up, the only other PS5 only port (Returnal) runs just fine on PC.

onQ123

Yet I see most people say TLOU Part II, which is a PS4 game, looks better than TLOU Part I on PS5.

Horizon: Forbidden West is widely lauded as the best-looking title on PS5 but it's an upgraded PS4 game.

TLOU Part I does nothing spectacular visually. I'm sure something like Spider-Man 2 will be a new visual benchmark and technical showcase that would justify horrendous performance on lower-spec'd PC. But a redrawn PS3 games with tiny environments and a world that is still tied to its PS3 roots? lol.
Not about visuals really but if the game was made around PS5 they most likely didn't optimize it like they would have to do if it was on PS4 so when they ported to PC they didn't optimize for lower end specs & that's where the problems come in.

onQ123

So you are basing this on a single bad port? It's not like you have anything else to back it up, the only other PS5 only port (Returnal) runs just fine on PC.
It was just a reply back to someone who made a joke about all the PS5 games being PS4 games

Calverz

I hope todays patch fixes the camera stutter when using a mouse. And the audio pops when using a wireless headset. I hope the game gets fixed in almost everything before ratcher and clank and gt7 release on pc.

Top Bottom