• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF]: The Last of Us Part 1 PC vs PS5 - A Disappointing Port With Big Problems To Address

Stuart360

Apparently Steam accepts refunds regardless of playtime for this game, some got a refund after 4 hours playtime.
Thats interesting. I was on the Steam forums a couple of days ago and loads of people were being refused refunds after going over 2 hours.
I wonder if Steam changed their mind after that Naughty Dog tweet basically admitting the port isnt up to scratch.

Killer8

Based Alex just telling it how it is:

H4I5mYu.jpg

Luigi Mario

A few minutes later:
For a whooping couple of weeks until it's fixed you can have that comfort blanket.
It's basically PS4 Last of us Part II redux and even worse looking. You can literally play part 1 on an external HDD with 60 fps patch. Magic sauce? Cerny sauce? I don't believe a minute that this is defining a hardware generation.

Plague tale requiem is next gen exclusive and trumps this graphically by a wide margin. Uses ~6.2GB VRAM and doesn't go insane with CPU utilization.
Last of Us low textures at 1080p that don't even look good by PS3 standards are using 6GB of VRAM!

WOW, PS5 power!
GHG, there's no amount of convincing me that this is brute force required.
Are we not supposed to blame the dev when it's not a good port for $60? What are we supposed to do? Oh right, fucking script kiddies already made some changes to the game improving performances. Wow Naughty Dog, superb dev. Begging must be some huge delusion of grandeur on Sony boys' part, these games barely crack top 100 concurrent players on Steam.

Can't forget the irony with Cyberpunk 2077 being removed from Sony's store for being a shit port. I saw a lot of peoples jumping in joy for justice when Sony pulled that move.
Please, this ain't your SSD jesus.
Clearly missing cache scrubbers on your PC to make sound stream fast.
This is MEME port territory at this point. An award should be given to them as the worst technical studio of the year.
Unfortunate turn of events.

Last edited:

kingyala

Banned
Because it just doesnt happen with a decently made port.

Name me some games where no matter how powerful the PC is, the console version is better?
this is a native ps5 game and uses ps5 api and io hardware to the maximum but retarded alex and his fellowship keep comparing this port to other crossgen ports, you just cant write this stuff... he once claimed ssd's cant improve grpahics and how he's wondering why pc's cant keep up with ps5 decompression and io even though developers talked for months about this actual engineers from epic explained this but no alex from df cant agree... becuase pc must somehow always rule. Such childish sissy type of thinking its like im watching a toddler cry hours becuase i didnt give it candy

MikeM

Huh, weird take. It's a Windows port man. It's also using DX12, a Windows-based collection of APIs.

Nixxes also expressed interest in using DirectStorage in the future. I seriously think Naughty Dog should have given it a shot. The load times are absolutely horrendous on PC.
I thought he was referring to the PS5.

In that case- maybe making the conversion to make it work on Directstorage did not work out? Who knows.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
this is a native ps5 game and uses ps5 api and io hardware to the maximum but retarded alex and his fellowship keep comparing this port to other crossgen ports, you just cant write this stuff... he once claimed ssd's cant improve grpahics and how he's wondering why pc's cant keep up with ps5 decompression and io even though developers talked for months about this actual engineers from epic explained this but no alex from df cant agree... becuase pc must somehow always rule. Such childish sissy type of thinking its like im watching a toddler cry hours becuase i didnt give it candy
Ladies and gentlemen, after his critically acclaimed debut album: "VRAM has nothing to do with resolution", MC Kingyala is proud to present his second LP: SSDs Improve Graphics.

In stores next week.

Senua

Gold Member
These problems are not going away anytime soon and seem to be getting worse. PC development is complex due to all the possible hardware arrangements. If you are a PC gamer, you must simply accept these issues and I guess be grateful that stuff like TLOU is even coming out for your platform to begin with.
Instead of giving shit to ND for their wank port better deflect and disparage PC gaming instead. Doing Naughty God's work

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Instead of giving shit to ND for their wank port better deflect and disparage PC gaming instead. Doing Naughty God's work

I am not excusing ND nor disparaging PC gaming. It is what it is. Just seems like some PC gamers constantly feel entitled to literal perfection when the reality is that developing for massive configuration differences is difficult and time consuming, so stuff like this is bound to happen. There's pros and cons to everything, and this is one of the tradeoffs.

Senua

Gold Member
I am not excusing ND nor disparaging PC gaming. It is what it is. Just seems like some PC gamers constantly feel entitled to literal perfection when the reality is that developing for massive configuration differences is difficult and time consuming, so stuff like this is bound to happen. There's pros and cons to everything, and this is one of the tradeoffs.
Nothing is perfect, would be nice to have a decent port for a full price game though huh? At the very least. ND fucked up here and it's a really bad look, yet instead of criticising those who deserve it, you're mind jumps to PC gamers are entitled because they moan when a full price game is broken? It's just bizzare mental gymnastics that you only really see on this forum and gamefaqs.

ND fucked up, they are a Sony first party studio so I know it might hurt but you're criticizing the wrong people dude, look to the guys and gals that fucked the game up and not the consumers who purchased the full price product.

hinch7

Didn't watch the full video but did the guy just whine about medium textures and bugs for an hour? Because high textures looks fine almost indistingishable from ultra.. from skimming through.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Nothing is perfect, would be nice to have a decent port for a full price game though huh? At the very least. ND fucked up here and it's a really bad look, yet instead of criticising those who deserve it, you're mind jumps to PC gamers are entitled because they moan when a full price game is broken? It's just bizzare mental gymnastics that you only really see on this forum and gamefaqs.

ND fucked up, they are a Sony first party studio so I know it might hurt but you're criticizing the wrong people dude, look to the guys and gals that fucked the game up and not the consumers who purchased the full price product.

Doesn't seem to be THAT broken if you have one of those fabled "monster rigs". *shrug* The game IS PS5 exclusive afterall. Can't get by with PC hardware on current gen exclusives that doesn't punch above that.

bender

What time is it?
Pretty crazy results considering all the money Sony has spent on porting studios, recent experience of porting other games, and that this is one of their more important IPs. Hopefully there are lessons learned.

Senua

Gold Member
Doesn't seem to be THAT broken if you have one of those fabled "monster rigs". *shrug* The game IS PS5 exclusive afterall. Can't get by with PC hardware on current gen exclusives that doesn't punch above that.
No it isn't

This is as much as PS5 game as God of War Ragnarok. It's on the level of TLoU2 on PS5. It's a PS4 game at heart. Stop simping it's cringe

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I've had my 3700x for 4 (fucking FOUR already) years and it's about time something used it.
I don't recall ever seeing anything use more than 20-30% of it... let alone on all cores like in the DF video. 100% on all cores wow.
I am all fine with 4yo cpu underperforming but it's funny how it happened so sudden after 4 years and not progressively.
tell you what? I am not changing that cpu lol. I could get 5800x3D on that x570 motherboard and I might if I see it discounted somewhere but I will not bother

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
No it isn't

This is as much as PS5 game as God of War Ragnarok. It's on the level of TLoU2 on PS5. It's a PS4 game at heart. Stop simping it's cringe

Yes it is. It is not released for PS4 at all. God of War Ragnarok is.

What's cringe is all the crying going on about what looks to be a pretty middling PC port. There are numerous other examples this year of similarly disappointing ones. But if you have a decent rig, it seems just fine. You're getting that TLOU experience.

Senua

Gold Member

What's cringe is all the crying going on about what looks to be a pretty middling PC port. There are numerous other examples this year of similarly disappointing ones. But if you have a decent rig, it seems just fine. You're getting that TLOU experience.
This coulda easily run on PS4 if TLoU2 did, they even said themselves they wanted it to get up to that level of fidelity, and if you have normal non fanboy eyes you could see they are very similar in visual fidelity.

And it doesn't mean shit if a 4090 with a 12900k can brute force it, that's not a get out clause to excuse ND for a shit port. Neil Druckman could literally piss on your cornflakes and you'd still give him your last rolo.

Juza

Thats interesting. I was on the Steam forums a couple of days ago and loads of people were being refused refunds after going over 2 hours.
I wonder if Steam changed their mind after that Naughty Dog tweet basically admitting the port isnt up to scratch.
Try to submit a ticket to the support, but some say It may depend on where you live.

Stuart360

Naughty Dog apologized for the port not being up to the standard people expect from them. And they have already done 2 patches, a big patch coming on Tuesday, and an even bigger patch coming after.
The port isnt good, and they have admitted that.
I'm sure it will end up in a good state after a couple of months though.

The game actually runs acceptable for me on my mid-range PC. 1080p/60 with a mix of High and Ultra settings. Not every PC is the same though, and as you said yourself, there are literally thousands of combinations of hardware with PC, and soemthing effecting one user, wont effect another, and vice versa.
With this port though, a LOT of people are having problems, including some people on high end systems.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Naughty Dog apologized for the port not being up to the standard people expect from them. And they have already done 2 patches, a big patch coming on Tuesday, and an even bigger patch coming after.
The port isnt good, and they have admitted that.
I'm sure it will end up in a good state after a couple of months though.

The game actually runs acceptable for me on my mid-range PC. 1080p/60 with a mix of High and Ultra settings. Not every PC is the same though, and as you said yourself, there are literally thousands of combinations of hardware with PC, and soemthing effecting one user, wont effect another, and vice versa.
With this port though, a LOT of people are having problems, including some people on high end systems.

Again, I’m not saying the port is decent at all

ND should do better. It already got delayed they should have delayed it again, it makes me question what they were thinking releasing it

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Pure BS. There's a ton of DRS or CBR - clearly visble on my screens, plus the overal image is way softer than native 4K is, plenty of games to test and see for yourself, or just wait for PC release and I'll show you.

Guy on NeoGaf: "Fuck your BS. You better be ready to take your words back when PC version is ready to be compared in real native 4K."

@Agent_4Seven timestamped especially for you.

PS5 native1440p/Performance vs 4090 native 4k/Ultra settings. 4x zoom. Which one looks cleaner and more stable to you?

Pedro Motta

My experience with this has been really similar to Cyberpunk 2077 when it released. Had no issues and no bugs when the internet was filled with weird stuff from the game. Being so CPU intensive must really fuck up game logic on weaker CPU's. 6 hours in and it has been a smooth experience.

Ivan

I honestly think he's too young to be THAT guy in this show... A true, old-ass pc gamer who had seen it all and has SOME of that attitude would be a better fit. I can't stand the kid.

kingyala

Banned
I honestly think he's too young to be THAT guy in this show... A true, old-ass pc gamer who had seen it all and has SOME of that attitude would be a better fit. I can't stand the kid.
hes not too young, hes simply an obvious fraud and a pc fanboy ive watched enough of his content and he always somehow seem to fix explanations on how xbox and pc are superior... always somehow without any evidence he simply uses his clever political social skills to keep lying to his followers how pc is superior, he disregards anything actual engineers and developers say and puts his own manufactured religious beliefs... you can see this in all his videos when ps5 is the topic... you can see this in beyond3d any post there thats negative about ps5 he will always give a like and add a comment... you can see in recent df videos he sneakily talks negative crap about ps5.. even though john explained why ps5 was performing better than series consoles by talking to devs and devs said its because of the api, but alex added his fanatic conclusions that its because ps5 was the main console and developers somehow make shitty xbox ports.... its crazy!!!

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Why are they trying to get this to run on an old 2070 for? Might as well boot up a 386.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Why are they trying to get this to run on an old 2070 for? Might as well boot up a 386.
The 2070S is analogous to the GPU in PS5.
The 3600X is analogous to the CPU in the PS5.
Assuming the game wasnt broken, it actually does 1440p60 so its actually a good choice.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It was never originally made with PC's in mind and the port isn't great so brute force is required. This is nothing new, we've all been here before.
your wacky ass literally admitted that the port isn't great.... That's on the porting team not the people who have 8gb gpus.

Excusing Naughty Dog for their shit port because "yOu HaVE tO uPgRAde yOur pc" ? No fucking way.
he's the same guy who wants everyone to get high VRAM gpus but then loses his shit whenever someone buys an AMD card which have higher vram than Nvidia stuff on average

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
The 2070S is analogous to the GPU in PS5.
The 3600X is analogous to the CPU in the PS5.
Assuming the game wasnt broken, it actually does 1440p60 so its actually a good choice.
In a limited comparison of teraflops, but games aren’t built like that anymore.

That’s why PS5 can beat XSX, and Unreal had lower texture resolution on PC vs PS5, and not to mention the stutters.

I don’t know how much longer people can remain in denial about this.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
omg youre right, thats why Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Quake 1 & 2, Duke Nukem 3d, Crysis, Half Life 1 & 2, Minecraft, et al were all console exclusives that got ported to PC and not the other way around.... oh wait.

Cherry picking a few games doesn’t speak for the average title at that time, and most of those games never were bleeding edge in terms of production values

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Crying that an older 6 core CPU and 8GB VRAM GPU is struggling to keep up when faced with a next gen port that was made with a next gen console in mind.

Equal parts sad and hilarious. More to come as the generation goes on. I'm so sick and tired of PC gamers with overinflated ideas about what their hardware is capable of. Either put the money down for the best hardware and have a good time or accept that your mid-low tier hardware is exactly that and adjust your expectations accordingly.

I've got a PS5 and an 18 month old gaming PC that is already hopelessly out of date: Intel 12900K + RTX 3080 10 GB + 32GB RAM + PCIE 4 SSDs. It's clear that I'll be playing all current-gen games on the PS5 for the next couple of years - unless I'm willing to spend 1800 euro on an RTX 4090 but even then I'd have to pray to the PC gods for a port without any major issues.

PC Master Race my ass.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Cherry picking a few games doesn’t speak for the average title at that time, and most of those games never were bleeding edge in terms of production value
It's not just cherry picking, taking any PC title from the early 2000s and comparing it to the PS2/Xbox ported down version is a genuine massacre.
Splinter Cell? had worse graphics and more loading times on PS2, missing EAX 3d audio
Halo? ran at half the framerate on xbox, missing 3d audio
Need for Speed Most Wanted? missing effects, worse framerate, missing EAX as usual, DRASTICALLY lower resolution.
list goes on... it isn't just the console versions running at 4k 30, EVERYTHING was massively downgraded from even medium settings.

& then you look at a game like GTA 3 which was ported UP from PS2 to PC and the game looks worse than comparable games like NFS. Open world is impressive sure but they made it for consoles first and they paid for it in worse graphics than most other games all around which wouldn't be the case if GTA 3 were designed from the ground up as a PC -> PS2 game

BeamNG drive's car simulation physics are so advanced that they could never hope to make a port to consoles, so even today this shit still exists in some form.

PCs were simply pushing boundaries forward in terms of technology and graphics and it's a major reason why games have progressed much less in the past 15 years, devs embraced this dumbass console first approach instead of making games for PC and porting down from there

Last edited:

Lysandros

RTX 2070 S isn't quite "analogous to PS5" even in a limited teraflops comparison, its compute metric is rated at 9 TF while PS5 is at 10.28 TF, that's ~14% higher. RTX 2080 is obviously a better fit in this specific context with its 10 TF but it's still significantly behind in fixed function throughput. It has a mere 109 Gpixel/s fillrate compared to PS5's 142 Gpixel/s for example. So in fact PS5 is also above RTX 2080 in pure 'rasterization'.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

That’s why PS5 can beat XSX, and Unreal had lower texture resolution on PC vs PS5, and not to mention the stutters.

I don’t know how much longer people can remain in denial about this.
Yet in their and many other tests this same setup has proven to work out as pretty close.
Obviously not like for like and obviously not taking into account driver overhead and the actual programs.
3600X is a six core CPU and the CPU in the PS5 is a eight core CPU.
The 3600X runs faster and has more cache.
The PS5 only uses 7 cores for games.
The closest CPU to the PS5s CPU is the 3600.

Top Bottom