• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF]: The Last of Us Part 1 PC vs PS5 - A Disappointing Port With Big Problems To Address

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
RTX 2070 S isn't quite "analogous to PS5" even in a limited teraflops comparison, its compute metric is rated at 9 TF while PS5 is at 10.28 TF, that's ~14% higher. RTX 2080 is obviously a better fit in this specific context with its 10 TF but it's still significantly behind in fixed function throughput. It has a mere 109 Gpixel/s fillrate compared to PS5's 142 Gpixel/s for example. So in fact PS5 is also above RTX 2080 in pure 'rasterization'.
So you just decided to ignore my post clearly explaining why this is false and decided to double down? 9 TF for the 2070S is assuming the rated clock of 1770MHz which never happens because NVIDIA writes the lowest possible ones. A normal one routinely runs at 1900MHz+, making it close to 10 TF.

And lol at above the 2080, are you on crack?

The specs sheets on the 2080 says 1710MHz. In-game clocks are actually 1900MHz+, making it an 11+ TF card with 121Gpixel/s fillrate.

You'd know this if you bothered gaming on PC, but you obviously don't and just look at specs sheets and call it a day.

njVi5ic.png

Last edited:

GHG

your wacky ass literally admitted that the port isn't great.... That's on the porting team not the people who have 8gb gpus.

he's the same guy who wants everyone to get high VRAM gpus but then loses his shit whenever someone buys an AMD card which have higher vram than Nvidia stuff on average

Shit/subpar ports happen, it's part and parcel of PC gaming. However expecting an 8GB GPU to carry you throughout next gen when the main consoles have 16GB to work with is a fools errand.

And regarding AMD GPU's, no, I just think their GPU division have chronically underperformed for a long time now, just having more VRAM doesn't make up for everything else. In your case specifically the emulation performance is so bad with AMD cards that getting PS3 hardware was an attractive proposition, that's on you, not my problem. Those with Nvidia GPU's don't have that problem.

Isnt ryzen 3600 a few % faster than PS5 CPU and 2070 super about equal in like 90% of the games? Its a pretty fair comparison and the end result should be around equal.

My biggest gripe with this game is that for some reason i get 80-100% CPU usage on my 12600k while my gpu usage rarely passes 70%. Absolutely baffling CPU optimization.

Yes but generally that's not how it works. My previous setup before I upgraded was a 2070 Super with a 3900x CPU and it was not fun trying to play newer games at higher resolutions with decent settings. People are strangely obsessed with dick measuring contests when it comes to comparing PC hardware to console hardware. They can't be compared 1-1, the cross-gen period is always fine, people get cocky, people love suggesting hardware thar clearly won't last for the resolutions/settings people want to game at (because for some reason people get off on trying to downplay the capability of the consoles at the time) and then the reality starts to set in as more time passes. In my opinion if you want to be cocky then you better have the hardware to back it up, not some shitty average 6 core CPU, 16gb system ram, 8GB VRAM or less PC.

GHG, there's no amount of convincing me that this is brute force required

Time-stamped to the issue.

1080p LOW textures who are not even close to original PS3 game and runs worse than the emulated Last of Us PS3 version on PC, takes 6.2 GB.

SflY4rE.jpg

Ultra settings @ 4k, not 1080p, for plaque tale requiem, uses that!

vram.png

Do i even need to bring up screenshots of plague tale requiem at ultra settings to show how good it looks comparatively? I don't think i need to.

I did say its not a great port, but the reasons are clear. They are using decompression techniques that typically used/seen on console and not on PC. Brute force does work here, hence the 4090 system exampled by DF sails through, even to the point where it suprised Alex in some situations. It's not all bad here (hence like I said, the steam deck can run it at the right settings), but certain system configurations are doomed to fail (in particular if the CPU can't keep up or there isn't enough VRAM).

Last edited:

Stuart360

There’s no point comparing games made to run on last-gen hardware.
What about Returnal then?.

Look Naughty Dog have already acknowledged the port isnt up to scratch.

Is this what its going to be like this gen?, ignore every game that is better on PC, then every few months when we get a dodgy port lets bring out the 'PS5 is a supercomputer and PC's cant cope lolz' posts?.

GHG

Is this what its going to be like this gen?, ignore every game that is better on PC, then every few months when we get a dodgy port lets bring out the 'PS5 is a supercomputer and PC's cant cope lolz' posts?.

Why is it always one extreme or the other. Before it was "lol variable clocks, the 2060 super is good enough to be comparable to the PS5" and now it's "the PS5 is a supercomputer"?

Animated GIF

bitbydeath

What about Returnal then?.

Look Naughty Dog have already acknowledged the port isnt up to scratch.

Returnal uses last gen engine Unreal Engine 4.

GHG

People who think 8GB card suddenly not enough just because one dishonest company release a totally broken game are beyond dumb.

"Enough" for what though? If you're trying to run games at native or near 4k on an 8GB VRAM card you were already fighting a battle long before this game came out.

I've been there and have no interest in going back.

Last edited:

Woggleman

I just don't get it. With the success of the show plus all the new interest and sales in all games relate to TLOU franchise including pt2 you would figure they would want to do this right. For their own benefit you would figure they would want the PC port of one of Sony's biggest exclusives to be a triumph and would spare no resource in making that happen. I would understand if they cut corners for a niche game with a small audience thought that would still be wrong but to do it for TLOU is just plain stupid.

Stuart360

It was still built for PS5 only, and the PC version scales way beyond the PS5 version, like the vast majority of game will this gen.

You know ND acknowledged the quaitly of the port so i'm not sure why you want to use this port as the hill to die on. What are you going to say if the port gets fixed over the next couple of months and then mid range PC's are blowing past the PS5 version?

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Shit/subpar ports happen, it's part and parcel of PC gaming.
they also get fixed which is also part and parcel of PC gaming. Compare Arkham Knight at launch to how it is now, Horizon Zero Dawn to how it is now.... you see the difference? It's all a software issue. If ND were good at this PC port thing you wouldn't need to bruteforce jack shit. RE4 Remake shits on TLOU P1 from a great height visually and the game runs beautifully on my system.

When you have what is essentially a next gen only game that LOOKS WORSE THAN TLOU2 a PS4 game there's no reason why even a 1060 isnt able to run it.
And regarding AMD GPU's, no, I just think their GPU division have chronically underperformed for a long time now, just having more VRAM doesn't make up for everything else. In your case specifically the emulation performance is so bad with AMD cards that getting PS3 hardware was an attractive proposition, that's on you, not my problem. Those with Nvidia GPU's don't have that problem.
It kind of does when the GPUs pretty much play everything i throw at it with 0 issues besides maybe missing DLSS. You can keep gaslighting people into thinking that these AMD crashes and driver issues are so common but the simple fact is that they aren't- 1, 2, 5 or even 10 reddit posts doesn't account for millions of users (myself included) Also.... I got those emulation PS3 issues fixed after searching on Google since you refused to help. Blaming AMD for you not helping a fellow PC gamer out is kinda cringe mate
I actually managed to get these problems fixed and now the games work pretty decently... which is good.
The point that I was making in that thread is that either way you'd need to spend a pretty penny to emulate PS3 games (every component in my PC totals to 900 bucks) which may not be worth it for playing games from 17-10 years ago- PS3s can be found on the cheap these days and if all you want to do is play PS3 then it makes more sense to drop 150 on a used one from ebay than spending exponentially more than that to emulate them. Not to mention the point about not all PS3 games working correctly still stands. Even on an Nvidia card games like Infamous don't play 100% accurately whereas you'll never see issues like that on PS3.

It is an attractive proposition for people on a budget who don't care about/hate PC gaming. Missing the point entirely and bringing it back up to blame my GPU vendor of choice is one of the reasons why memes like this exist.

FmYK0o0XECQ4c_B.jpg

Last edited:

bitbydeath

It was still built for PS5 only, and the PC version scales way beyond the PS5 version, like the vast majority of game will this gen.

You know ND acknowledged the quaitly of the port so i'm not sure why you want to use this port as the hill to die on. What are you going to say if the port gets fixed over the next couple of months and then mid range PC's are blowing past the PS5 version?
Specs matter, but feel free to die on this hill.
We can reconvene later when more games aimed at the current gen release.

Stuart360

they also get fixed which is also part and parcel of PC gaming. Compare Arkham Knight at launch to how it is now, Horizon Zero Dawn to how it is now.... you see the difference? It's all a software issue. If ND were good at this PC port thing you wouldn't need to bruteforce jack shit. RE4 Remake shits on TLOU P1 from a great height visually and the game runs beautifully on my system.

When you have what is essentially a next gen only game that LOOKS WORSE THAN TLOU2 a PS4 game there's no reason why even a 1060 isnt able to run it.
A 1060 can run it, even in its broken state, just not at good settings -

There are even poeple running the game on 4gb cards, not very well of course, but you can if you're happy with 30fps.

T4keD0wN

People who think 8GB card suddenly not enough just because one dishonest company release a totally broken game are beyond dumb.
On one hand devs should optimize for what most of the market has, but on the other rx480 and 1070 have released ages ago and its time to stop defending nvidia for putting the same (8gb) amount of VRAM on cards that cost so much more and are much more capable like the 3070ti or the rumoured upcoming 4060. When an RTX3060 has more VRAM than an RTX 3080 theres a problem.

Mr Moose

Doesn't Returnal run at 1080p and like shit on PS5? Does anyone have comparable hardware and the game to test it?

GHG

It kind of does when the GPUs pretty much play everything i throw at it with 0 issues besides maybe missing DLSS. You can keep gaslighting people into thinking that these AMD crashes and driver issues are so common but the simple fact is that they aren't- 1, 2, 5 or even 10 reddit posts doesn't account for millions of users (myself included) Also.... I got those emulation PS3 issues fixed after searching on Google since you refused to help. Blaming AMD for you not helping a fellow PC gamer out is kinda cringe mate

The point that I was making in that thread is that either way you'd need to spend a pretty penny to emulate PS3 games (every component in my PC totals to 900 bucks) which may not be worth it for playing games from 17-10 years ago- PS3s can be found on the cheap these days and if all you want to do is play PS3 then it makes more sense to drop 150 on a used one from ebay than spending exponentially more than that to emulate them. Not to mention the point about not all PS3 games working correctly still stands. Even on an Nvidia card games like Infamous don't play 100% accurately whereas you'll never see issues like that on PS3.

It is an attractive proposition for people on a budget who don't care about/hate PC gaming. Missing the point entirely and bringing it back up to blame my GPU vendor of choice is one of the reasons why memes like this exist.

FmYK0o0XECQ4c_B.jpg

My friend you will grow up and calm down the day you get an Nvidia gpu.

nvidia-jensen-huang.gif

A 1060 does run it. If the fucking steam deck can then so can a 1060. There's this wonderful thing called a settings menu, use it.

And no, I'm really not troubleshooting your AMD card for you, sorry not sorry.

Hoddi

The 3600X runs faster and has more cache.
The PS5 only uses 7 cores for games.
The closest CPU to the PS5s CPU is the 3600.
It's lacking the hardware decompressor though. The Kraken decompression alone consumes ~1.5 logical cores while it's working which is quite a lot for a 6 core CPU. And it's far from being idle in this game.

smGdL5e.png

Stuart360

A 1060 does run it. If the fucking steam deck can then so can a 1060. There's this wonderful thing called a settings menu, use it.
Thankyou for saying that. Its somehting that a lot of people have weirdly forgotten about PC gaming over the last couple of years, even from PC gamers themselves.

• Strength
Reactions: GHG

GHG

Thankyou for saying that. Its somehting that a lot of people have weirdly forgotten about PC gaming over the last couple of years, even from PC gamers themselves.

Honestly it's doing my head in. There are so many people in the PC gaming community that have overinflated expectations regarding their systems capability that I'm at a loss. Unless you have a 4080 or equivalent or above there is no way on this blue and green earth that you should be trying to just run everything maxed out as a first step.

I'm seeing some steam reveiws of people saying their 2060 super can't run it maxed out and that they should be able to because they can run GTA V maxed out. It's beggars belief.

What is often the case in PC gaming is that the max settings are the least well optimised ones. They are there literally because the devs thought why the fuck not. Some even label them or say they are there for future systems in mind. Doesn't stop the masses crying "unoptimised" though.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
A 1060 can run it, even in its broken state, just not at good settings -
that is reasonable and is what low-medium settings are for. half decade old cards like the 1060.

a card like the 6600xt which is inbetween a 2070 and a 2080 super in power has no good reason to be using 'medium' (PS2) textures of all things just to get an OK framerate @ 1440p, when Resi 4 remake runs perfectly on high textures on the exact same card (as well as high settings everywhere else looking better than PS5 and Xbox)
its just bad portin bro.

Last edited:

Stuart360

that is reasonable and is what low-medium settings are for. half decade old cards like the 1060.

a card like the 6600xt which is inbetween a 2070 and a 2080 super in power has no good reason to be using 'medium' (PS2) textures of all things just to get an OK framerate @ 1440p, when Resi 4 remake runs perfectly on high textures on the exact same card (as well as high settings everywhere else looking better than PS5 and Xbox)
its just bad portin bro.
I'm convinced the textures are bugged and will get fixed. There is no way the quality of those textures on medium, and especially low should be using the amount of vram they are.

I was playing that GOTG game last night for the first time, and the textures on that at max settings are super detailed, and imo easily rival this games ultra textures, and at 1080p GOTG was using 3.5-4gb of vram.
ridiculous.

Md Ray

Not interested in the Twitch version of DF. I'm watching for their analysis. I don't care about them wandering around for 1h cracking jokes. Time is precious and I won't give 1 hour of it to these three guys zooming and pausing to scrutinize textures.

They should throw that shit out and come back with a concise, 20-30 minutes video with a wealth of information. No need for this garbage.
Garbage ports beget garbage videos.

GHG

I'm convinced the textures are bugged and will get fixed. There is no way the quality of those textures on medium, and especially low should be using the amount of vram they are.

I was playing that GOTG game last night for the first time, and the textures on that at max settings are super detailed, and imo easily rival this games ultra textures, and at 1080p GOTG was using 3.5-4gb of vram.
ridiculous.

It's 100% something to do with the decompression they are using. The fact that it creates situations where the CPU is pegged near 100% usage when the game is loading in a new area in the background tells us pretty much everything we need to know.

Once it's fixed I don't think the vram requirements changed but I do think the textures will look a lot better and the CPU usage will be improved.

Buggy Loop

How many games even use 20GB let alone needing 32GB?

DCS, but that's because it will literally gobble whatever you give it, 64GB even, its a thirsty engine. But it's simulating military grade avionics and flight physics, not a fucking linear third person shooter.

Last of Us part 1 uses Last of us part 2's PS4 engine

You Know It GIF by MOODMAN

Stuart360

It's 100% something to do with the decompression they are using. The fact that it creates situations where the CPU is pegged near 100% usage when the game is loading in a new area in the background tells us pretty much everything we need to know.

Once it's fixed I don't think the vram requirements changed but I do think the textures will look a lot better and the CPU usage will be improved.
Yeah thats what i mean. Its like the vram is using the correct amount, but the textures are not loading correctly.

Even then though the vram usage on this game is still weird. I posted screens showing thre game using 6.7-7.2gb vram at 1080p with environment textures on High, and all the other tesxture options on ultra.
For shits and giggles i put all the settings to the lowest, went to 720p, and vram usage was still over 5gb lol.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
0HaOtU7.png

crazy lmao.

EqYzGNs.jpg

Ultra on PC looks worse than the PS5 version performance mode. much less quality mode. good lord lmao.

Its stuff like thisthat just turns me off of PC gaming. I see no point investing in all that extra hardware when developers aren't making games tailored towards it. Not a dev out there making games to take advantage of the beastly hardware. We are playing console games at a higher res/framerate.

Last edited:

Alex11

Honestly it's doing my head in. There are so many people in the PC gaming community that have overinflated expectations regarding their systems capability that I'm at a loss. Unless you have a 4080 or equivalent or above there is no way on this blue and green earth that you should be trying to just run everything maxed out as a first step.

I'm seeing some steam reveiws of people saying their 2060 super can't run it maxed out and that they should be able to because they can run GTA V maxed out. It's beggars belief.

What is often the case in PC gaming is that the max settings are the least well optimised ones. They are there literally because the devs thought why the fuck not. Some even label them or say they are there for future systems in mind. Doesn't stop the masses crying "unoptimised" though.
Not taking anyone side here, as the war with consoles vs PCs bores me to death and it doesn't make much sense, if I want to play a game badly I buy a PS or whatever, it's not like I have to do a human sacrifice to be allowed to buy a console, don't know what the big deal is, Jesus, the majority are behaving like they own Sony or any of the manufacturers for the PC components.

But your are very wrong about running everything maxed out, I've always bought the low end tier of the GPUs, something in the lines of 3050, 1050 etc. and I've never had problems running the game on 1080p high settings or on some cases maxed out, up until a couple years ago, 2020 something, that's when I started to feel that it isn't going to work out for me with the low tier or that optimization is not really so well anymore.

Stuart360

EqYzGNs.jpg

Ultra on PC looks worse than the PS5 version performance mode. much less quality mode. good lord lmao.

Its stuff like thisthat just turns me off of PC gaming. I see no point investing in all that extra hardware when developers aren't making games tailored towards it. Not a dev out there making games to take advantage of the beastly hardware. We are playing console games at a higher res/framerate.
Nice selective screenshot you got there.
As YOU SAW on the video, Alex's 2070 had all those effects the same as the PS5 version. Its just another example of how broken this port is where ultra settings has missing effects that are there on High settings.

knguyen

On one hand devs should optimize for what most of the market has, but on the other rx480 and 1070 have released ages ago and its time to stop defending nvidia for putting the same (8gb) amount of VRAM on cards that cost so much more and are much more capable like the 3070ti or the rumoured upcoming 4060. When an RTX3060 has more VRAM than an RTX 3080 theres a problem.
Agreed, trust me, I have no interest in defending these big companies, they only care about how much money they can make from consumers. I just try to say that stop defending ND by saying such cards is not good enough, that is not the point, they released a broken product they deserve all the shit coming to them.

"Enough" for what though? If you're trying to run games at native or near 4k on an 8GB VRAM card you were already fighting a battle long before this game came out.

I've been there and have no interest in going back
enough for running the game as shown system requirements.

Justin9mm

The power of optimisation!

Consoles will always be the better 'value' platform especially when games are developed to prioritise said consoles. Every gen the gap slightly narrows between Console and PC. I recently built a new 'higher' end gaming PC and I'm still playing my PS5 and XSX most of the time.

Stooky

Emulation of PS3 is hard. Porting a "PS5" *cough Last of us part 2 PS4 engine cough* and making it look and perform worse than the emulated PS3 version is a fucking shame. This is MEME port territory at this point. An award should be given to them as the worst technical studio of the year.
Everything you just said is irrelevant. Tlou remake was developed on PS5. It’s not the same thing. It’s about the memory management systems on their engine which is made to exploit ps5 features, that is developed for 1 spec. That’s it. It really does doesn’t surprise me that the game runs they way it does on PC.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
So from what I understand Sony has a history of incompetent ports, and nobody should ever buy a Sony release on PC for a few months until they unfuck their games.

On the contrary, you should buy the game on Steam and EGS at launch if you haven't pre-ordered so Sony has more money to invest into quality ports.

Top Bottom