• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Xbox Next-Gen Features You Can Try Today: 120Hz/ VRR on Xbox One... What Do They Actually Do?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
kinda weird that not a single game on One X supports a 120fps mode yet... there are plenty of smaller titles that should be able to deliver that, especially games that already run at 60fps on One S with plenty of overhead.
Fyi fortnite runs @120 fps on the ipadpro 2018 model.

Only 60 on both pro & x

Bryank75

Banned
DF discuss cutting edge tech. Don't you find it interesting that an under powered console has some next gen features well before they were mainstream?
Absolutely, I'm just poking fun. They do great work.

I do find that they lean a bit green though.

Banned
Fyi fortnite runs @120 fps on the ipadpro 2018 model.

Only 60 on both pro & x

yeah that could be a game for example that could most likely support it.
have a separate mode where the resolution gets dropped to a dynamic 1080p, lower the settings to low and unlock that framerate.

but I bet the game would absolutely struggle to hit that consistently since really crazy build battles drop the framerate extremely hard, and I bet that is also a CPU issue

skneogaf

Great video, I have a LG C9 and if I'm going to be interested in either of these consoles I'm going to need them to support 4k@120hz with VRR as games like resident evil 2 remake at 120hz is so much more responsive that if it is possible on a console then I may pick one up after all.

CeeJay

Absolutely, I'm just poking fun. They do great work.

I do find that they lean a bit green though.
I think it's a bit of to and fro with DF, I remember really on this gen them giving Xbox a hard time for releasing an under powered machine at a higher price but they do show a lot of love for the S and X Xbox models. They do seem to favour the better hardware regardless of the software output at any given time.

sunnysideup

Banned
Vrr are completely unnecessary on consoles.

Sony and ms should instead have much stricter rules on framerates and framepacing. You have a standard hardware, every game can run locked and smoth.. No game should stutter or have uneven framerate. Every game should be locked at 60 or 30fps with correct framepacing, this should be a requirement if you want to release game on the console..

Reactions: CJY
The whole equation collapses the moment you involve any surround hardware. I spent a grand upgrading my living room audio setup last year only to later realise it might not be fully compatible with next gen HDMI spec.

It's best to not think about it too much and get the best you can at the time you want/need to buy. The inevitably is that you'll always miss out on something.

For now 4k + HDR + Atmos is good enough for me so I'm not going to lose sleep over potentially missing out on VRR Passthrough.
I just have an old dolby digital amp so I don't know how this works with atmos or whatever but I have my xbox going to my TV then spdif optic cable from tv to amp passing through tv doesnt this solve the hdmi compatability problem?

So to be clear I have hdmi from xbox to tv, then fibre optic spdif from tv to amp for audio. This also has the advantage of whatever I have on tv is played through the amp without having to change amp input channels.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
They made amends with the One X, did you forget that? They also made the 360 which was more powerful than the PS3, and the original Xbox demolished the PS2 in performance.

I see this as 3-1 for Xbox, but maybe I can't count that high.
PS3 is more powerful than the 360. PS3 just needed a lot more work to get games to look great. 360 had nothing that looked as good as UC2,3, TLOU, GoW 3 etc.

I still liked the 360 more and played it a lot more.

Last edited:

n3mur1t0r

Neo Member
I just have an old dolby digital amp so I don't know how this works with atmos or whatever but I have my xbox going to my TV then spdif optic cable from tv to amp passing through tv doesnt this solve the hdmi compatability problem?

So to be clear I have hdmi from xbox to tv, then fibre optic spdif from tv to amp for audio. This also has the advantage of whatever I have on tv is played through the amp without having to change amp input channels.
SPDIF doesn't do Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD (or their new counterparts, Dolby Atmos/DTS:X). It doesn't do multi-channel LPCM either, only stereo.
However, eARC does that - it's in the HDMI 2.1 spec, but is implemented in a lot of 2.0 receivers today (no 2.1 receivers exist yet).

Banned
D dark10x you guys should try Rocket League in the 120hz mode.

you can turn off vsync in that which disables vsync even if you run the One X at 120hz.
so the forced vsync feature doesn't work here which could mean it also could unlock the framerate.

Top Bottom