• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Open Beta starting this weekend

Torraz

By just comparing those two maps, I prefer the D3 map.

I can't say that I ever considered D1 and D2 to have great dungeon designs. Not that I think that the ones in the D3 beta are great either.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that! My main motivation for that quick comparison was to show that we can, somewhat reasonably, compare dungeon layouts and that there is a difference. Just beacuse there is change does not mean it's bad, I just think that it ought to be acknowledged.

Of course the mephisto dungeon comparison might not be the most fair one, being the boss dungeon of the third act.

Even the basic beta frogs are awesome. Can't wait for the full game versions!

Yep. Just looking at those D2 pics fill me dread and despair at all the needless backtracking and boxes. Urgh. What we've seen of D3 may be a little too corridor heavy, but the randomisation (within fairly predictable confines) is better. And hey, they're the first dungeons of the game!

Agree. The boxes were just as annoying as the long corridors. I just hope that the later dungeons are not as long-corridor-heavy as the catacombs in D3.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I love the Mephisto map layouts... God tier right there.

Twinduct

This is my first "always-online" game ever and the experience is incredibly frustrating. The couple of hours I´ve played with the Monk were fun (albeit too easy) and I was sure that I would have no problem since my connection was always solid before...

But just this time its crapping out several times and its frustrating as hell. I guess I won't be able to enjoy DIII :(

The stress test was for the server itself. Nothing to do with your connection.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I don't know what the issues are with the new dungeon layouts vs. the old D2 ones. There's still plenty of exploration going on and never when playing did I feel like I was being pushed down a linear path.

There's branching paths in the dungeons so it's entirely possible to skip major sections of a level to make progress. If you want to fully explore you're still going to have to have to go well out of your way to uncover the full map. Just because there aren't 50-100 individual rooms that you need to go through doesn't mean that the exploration is less in D3...it felt very reminiscent of D2 in that I still had to go way out of the way to do a full map reveal and find all the stuff.

Seemed good to me, but admittedly I only had time to play for a couple hours last night. I just know that in the dungeons I went through and the world-maps I ran through, not once did I feel anything that resembled "linear".

Hari Seldon

Although I am over this click and farm game design, I will probably end up buying this game just to play through it once with friends. I don't plan on doing any boss run farming, I'm too old for that shit. I really wish they took some risks with this game, maybe put in gamepad type combat, made the atmosphere much darker and scarier similar to D1. Oh well, I'll get my 15-20 hours out of it and be content, but this isn't a game I can see myself playing for much longer than that, let alone using the auction house.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that! My main motivation for that quick comparison was to show that we can, somewhat reasonably, compare dungeon layouts and that there is a difference. Just beacuse there is change does not mean it's bad, I just think that it ought to be acknowledged.

Of course the mephisto dungeon comparison might not be the most fair one, being the boss dungeon of the third act.

You're also comparing a hell difficulty D2 map with a normal difficulty D3 map; D2 on normal generates smaller maps for a lot of dungeons. Perhaps D3 does the same, and the cathedral levels in D3 will be larger and more complex on Nightmare and Hell difficulty.

I actually liked these 'simpler' dungeons. They make more 'sense', you could actually imagine someone building a structure like that; as opposed to the fairly useless layouts of the D2 dungeons.

Performance was great on my machine, as long as I put the 'Limit max fps' slider on 200fps. For some reason when I put it on 60, it stuttered like crazy.

Only complaint I really had was the dynamic music, it needs to change a bit more gradually. At some points it just suddenly switched to another tune, but I hope that will be fixed in the release version.

Trickster

You're also comparing a hell difficulty D2 map with a normal difficulty D3 map; D2 on normal generates smaller maps for a lot of dungeons. Perhaps D3 does the same, and the cathedral levels in D3 will be larger and more complex on Nightmare and Hell difficulty.

Pretty sure that the difficulty in D2, had no effect on dungeon sizes.

Pretty sure that the difficulty in D2, had no effect on dungeon sizes.

I think it could in some areas, I remember most of the end act boss dungeons areas could be much larger on hell then in normal. I'm unsure if it was just those dungeons or if there were more though.

Concept17

Every time someone does a D2 to D3 comparison it's always one of the later levels on the harder difficulties. Pick something from the first act on easy difficulty.

Very much this.

Have seen too little to know just how much D3's world opens up. The little random touches just in the beta were also more exciting than "alright we need to get to the next area, so lets just run along this wall till we find the right path"

zlatko

Banned
I spent a great amount of time with it this weekend. Ran into no issues connection wise. Must have got lucky when I picked to play. Only had one problem which was getting into a game with a friend, but we remedied it by backing out of the game, and then just starting it up so it was good to go.

Still day one. Monk is that hot sexy shit.

Any word on if we get to customize character appearance in the full build? I'd like my Monk to have a head of hair with his burly beard.

Ok seriously wtf is up with this game's heat situation. I can run crysis on high on this laptop with no problem, but just now, with all the settings on low, and *just sitting in a chat channel* I hit 103 degrees. Is anyone else getting this?

I did. I limited the framerate to 30, set the resolution to 720p, and set everything else to the lowest setting. And I get 103 degrees in chat. It's gotta be a bug..

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yeah that reminds me of when SC2 was released and the game ran at like 20 million fps in the menu so it overheated computers... how do I limit the framerate?

Yoshichan

Oh yeah, forgot about that! Thanks!

Torraz

I think it could in some areas, I remember most of the end act boss dungeons areas could be much larger on hell then in normal. I'm unsure if it was just those dungeons or if there were more though.

More boxes is still boxes instead of corridor-ville. Also hell being larger doesn't matter that much since everyone just teleported or waited for a boss town portal. It remains to be seen if there is this fast movement in D3 to bypass the corridors.

Coldphire

Neo Member
Finished the Beta with 3 different classes over the weekend and I have two questions as someone who has not played any of the prior Diablos.

1 - As the skills are set up right now there is not a way to assign multiple skills from one category to your action buttons correct? Meaning my key 1 can only be from the defensive skills not my primary attacks.

2 - Is there a loot reason for running with a group? Like because you are in a group the enemy levels go up therefore you are more likely to get Uber Item X or even that you can only get Uber Item X if you run with a group. I'll be running through at least once with my wife, but want to see when I'm playing alone if there is a game reason for finding a public game.

Had alot of fun with it. Was going to go Monk before I played, but now I'm going to start with a Barbarian. His sound effects are just so satisfying. My computer is about 7 years old now. I've upgraded it over time, but it is barely able to keep a steady frame rate so I hope the full release runs a little better.

cametall

Yeah that reminds me of when SC2 was released and the game ran at like 20 million fps in the menu so it overheated computers... how do I limit the framerate?

I thought the SC2 issue was hilarious at the time. I don't know squat about programming, but it must take a helluva a bug (and one becoming the norm for Blizz?) to overheat a PC while looking at menus.

Raide

Finished the Beta with 3 different classes over the weekend and I have two questions as someone who has not played any of the prior Diablos.

1 - As the skills are set up right now there is not a way to assign multiple skills from one category to your action buttons correct? Meaning my key 1 can only be from the defensive skills not my primary attacks.
I think elective modes lets you put skills wherever you like, as long as you have enough action slots unlocked of course.

2 - Is there a loot reason for running with a group? Like because you are in a group the enemy levels go up therefore you are more likely to get Uber Item X or even that you can only get Uber Item X if you run with a group. I'll be running through at least once with my wife, but want to see when I'm playing alone if there is a game reason for finding a public game.

More monsters, harder monsters and more loot. A higher chance of rare monsters too.

Had alot of fun with it. Was going to go Monk before I played, but now I'm going to start with a Barbarian. His sound effects are just so satisfying. My computer is about 7 years old now. I've upgraded it over time, but it is barely able to keep a steady frame rate so I hope the full release runs a little better.

Some info.

Freki

More boxes is still boxes instead of corridor-ville. Also hell being larger doesn't matter that much since everyone just teleported or waited for a boss town portal. It remains to be seen if there is this fast movement in D3 to bypass the corridors.

There isn't - It was deliberately removed in order to prevent people from skipping content.

Raide

Blizzard said early on that they did not want people just skipping to a boss, kill it and restart. They wanted to give people a reason to play through more of the content and not just bosses.

Lain

So, managed to play all the classes, though only finished the beta with Wizard, Monk and DH.
Wizard and Monk are the best, Witch Doctor isn't fun for me at low levels, Barbarian is fun but takes too much damage for my liking (only character I came close to dying with) and DH is OK but lacks the aoe power of Monk/Wizard.

Can't wait for the 15, this is gonna be fun.

Sophia

1. Elective Mode in the options lets you assign your six active abilities wherever you want them to be. I don't think it allows you to put multiple skills on the bar however. It just moves where each skill is. You can only have whatever your selected defensive skill is on the bar.

2. More players means the potential for more powerful monsters to appear. I hardly ever encountered any rares playing solo, but there was one per floor when I had a full party going. The rare ones potentially drop better loot, too.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
So to make sure I've got this right:

Elective Mode basically lets you map whatever 6 skills you want on the bar, but you're still restricted to 6 skills total (which is by design).

You can remap what goes to what bar on the fly however, right? Like I can choose mid-fight if I want to swap out one skill for another and just have to suffer a cooldown to use it as a result of my change? I'm assuming Blizzard's intent is that users can adjust theirs skills as required, but shouldn't be able to "hot-swap" them in combat so they essentially have any ability they want at their fingertips (hence the cooldown).

Basically they want you to choose 6 and stick with them once you're fighting, but allow you to change up if required (like if I run into a lightning immune monster and I have mostly lightning abilities queued up, I could run away, swap-skills and come back and take him down with frost attacks)?

ToD_

1. Elective Mode in the options lets you assign your six active abilities wherever you want them to be. I don't think it allows you to put multiple skills on the bar however. It just moves where each skill is. You can only have whatever your selected defensive skill is on the bar.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your post correctly, but elective mode does allow you to put more than one of the same category of spells on your bar. For example; you can't have bash and cleave on your bars without elective mode turned on. Turn on elective mode and you have a higher level of customization.

Raide

Elective Mode basically lets you map whatever 6 skills you want on the bar, but you're still restricted to 6 skills total (which is by design).

You can remap what goes to what bar on the fly however, right? Like I can choose mid-fight if I want to swap out one skill for another and just have to suffer a cooldown to use it as a result of my change? I'm assuming Blizzard's intent is that users can adjust theirs skills as required, but shouldn't be able to "hot-swap" them in combat so they essentially have any ability they want at their fingertips (hence the cooldown).

Basically they want you to choose 6 and stick with them once you're fighting, but allow you to change up if required (like if I run into a lightning immune monster and I have mostly lightning abilities queued up, I could run away, swap-skills and come back and take him down with frost attacks)?

You have a slight Cooldown but you can swap in-combat if you manage to click the menu and not get hit by angry monsters. :D

Freki

You got that right - additionally "Nephalem Valor" (MF Bonus gained by slaying elites and champions in Inferno) will be lost if you switch skills

Yes. The cooldowns will increase in the higher difficulties, too.

And swapping anything kills any Nephalem Valor magic find buffs you've acquired once you hit lvl 60.

Coldphire

Neo Member
I'm not sure if I'm understanding your post correctly, but elective mode does allow you to put more than one of the same category of spells on your bar. For example; you can't have bash and cleave on your bars without elective mode turned on. Turn on elective mode and you have a higher level of customization.

Thanks for clarifying that. Granted I didn't dig in the options that much, but I really thought there was no way to put two skills from the same category (bash and cleave was exactly what I was trying) on different keys with the way the default UI is set up. I hope Blizzard puts in a help bubble for it. Otherwise that will be something that will have to be taught to every new player you meant like you had to do with me.

Yoshichan

Gonna be do something really, REALLY crazy the day before launch.

Look forward to it.

mbmonk

It's a done deal now. Pre-paid for the standard edition at GS today. And they're doing a midnight.

CAN'T WAIT.

I am not trying to poop on your parade. Honestly. But if Blizzard has server issues on launch day then that is going to ruin the excitement of midnight parties, etc.

I truly hope that isn't the case. Regardless, I am getting the game as well and I hope to see you online :)

LowParry

I am not trying to poop on your parade. Honestly. But if Blizzard has server issues on launch day then that is going to ruin the excitement of midnight parties, etc.

I truly hope that isn't the case. Regardless, I am getting the game as well and I hope to see you online :)

Servers should be fine. That's the point of open beta. And why shop at GS when you could just purchase the game through b.net and pre-download it and be ready to go? Sure beats waiting in line. :D

Finally got to do a full run-through of the beta. Great stuff. I played the Witch Doctor and was really enjoying the class by the end. Day one for me now.

Top Bottom