• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Player Count Drops Big Time on Xfire, Consumers Are Fed Up

sazzy

'Tried the adventuring life, didn't care for it. Too many repair bills, not enough profit.'

-courtesy of B.net forums

Thrakier

Even if I wanted to, I have no chance going on in inferno without even spending a ton of money on the RMAH for my Barb. It basically feels like a F2P game with Pay to win mechanism. It's stupid and Blizzard can go to hell (hrhr).

ZoddGutts

Can't say I'm surprise. After all the long wait, Diablo 3 just didn't live up to the hype. Won't be surprise if Torchlight 2 turns out to be the better game. Plus no bs online problems since it can be played offline, thank god for that.

Sophia

Sweet!!! Happy for you man. I just think RMAH is gross, I rather keep things like that out of my games. PVP will be strange in D3 when you can buy all your gear w/ dad's CC. We will see though I have no idea how that is going to work out.

I am looking forward to that. I fully expect gems to be a significant source of real life profits :D

glaurung

I'm still playing Diablo, probably going to hit 60 with my main and then boost some friends who need it.

It's a very quick game, so it's fun to play. But the story is crap and within all honesty, the classes really aren't to my liking.

Player dropoff makes sense - the market has a lot more to offer to the RPG enthusiast, unlike during the dark times of Diablo II.

sazzy

Can't say I'm surprise. After all the long wait, Diablo 3 just didn't live up to the hype. Won't be surprise if Torchlight 2 turns out to be the better game. Plus no bs online problems since it can be played offline, thank god for that.

I tried Path of Exile. Feels great.

Also banking on Torchlight 2. Pre-ordered it about a week after D3 came out.

Kinda get the feeling that the issues with D3 are the best things that could've happened for these 2 games. I never would have even considered them if D3 didn't have the problems it does.

All this whining, and most of you still play it. I don't bitch, I just have a good time and farm the crap out of Act I until I can hand II on Inferno.

AND I'm a DH that wasn't pissed about nerfs. Get some friends, play around on it, and you'll get a lucky drop you could probably sell for a decent price on the RMAH.

Even if I wanted to, I have no chance going on in inferno without even spending a ton of money on the RMAH for my Barb. It basically feels like a F2P game with Pay to win mechanism. It's stupid and Blizzard can go to hell (hrhr).
Maybe if you want to beat Inferno like it's Normal. You can do Inferno without touching the gold AH let alone RMAH...

Zyzyxxz

I'm already looking forward to Torchlight 2, only reason I keep playing D3 is so I might get a chance at a high value item I can sell on RMAH.

Neki

I have not been impacted by the RMH at all. Infact, it's paid for FFXI for me.

However, the stupid balance, design choices, lack of PvP, lack of commodities on the RMAH, all around balance, complete lack of difficult in normal, cheapness in Inferno, and all around WTF item drops and itemization have really impacted me, and why I've virtually stopped playing. :\

Not easily. It went from impossible to doable, but it is by no means easy.

Nah, extremely easy now. The fact that Act 3 was nerfed into oblivion and Act 1 is super easy and gives just as good rares means people stuck in Act 1 inferno get just as good as drops as people who were clearing Act III/IV. It really is that easy now.

glaurung

I will never, ever touch the RMAH for this game. Fuck that noise man.

The one thing that blows with the game is also its strong point: anything beyond Hell is a bitch to solo. That does not mean it's impossible - but you really need the best tools/gear for that to succeed. Since only people mad at their money buy legendaries off the RMAH, the only valid alternative is co-op play.

Thrakier

Maybe if you want to beat Inferno like it's Normal. You can do Inferno without touching the gold AH let alone RMAH...

I can't and I can't even imagine how such at thing should be possible. Many of the elite enemies will just rape you and there is no chance that you can pay all the repair costs with the money you find. Mediocre to good items aren't selling on the AH for a long time now. In the beginning I was able to make some money there but it's now so flooded with shit that you got no chance if your item isn't i63.

I had already quit long ago. The game sucks.

Glad more people are doing so, but Blizz already has the money. Even Kripp is dumbfounded by Blizzard's designs and decisions.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Well, I personally don't see the point in playing any more Diablo III.

I have probably beat every boss at least 10 times on separate characters and difficulty levels, and every playthrough is completely identical to the last, except for the fact that the numbers on your loot get higher and your health drops faster.

I don't see the appeal of grinding for weeks to finish Inferno when I know there's nothing new waiting for me there. It'll be the exact same mobs, the exact same cutscenes, the exact same areas and bosses I have killed over and over before. I just don't care.

Nobody is going to know or care that I have a generic fucking purple bow with 15 more DPS than the other guy.

Well, I personally don't see the point in playing any more Diablo III.

I have probably beat every boss at least 10 times on separate characters and difficulty levels, and every playthrough is completely identical to the last, except for the fact that the numbers on your loot get higher and your health drops faster.

I don't see the appeal of grinding for weeks to finish Inferno when I know there's nothing new waiting for me there. It'll be the exact same mobs, the exact same cutscenes, the exact same areas and bosses I have killed over and over before. I just don't care.

Nobody is going to know or care that I have a generic fucking purple bow with 15 more DPS than the other guy.

What a suprise that's exactly how it were in D2 ;)

Inferno sucks. Stopped playing a few weeks ago and don't feel like touching it again. Totally understandable and justified. The experience has strongly adjusted my views of Blizzard.

bee

love these types of games but diablo 3 simply isn't good enough to put up with the stuttering mess that it has been since day one. don't even know what act im on, probably 3 on the first difficulty, tried all fixes and disabling a graphics card blabla, "its fucked" is my technical standpoint on the game

just switched back to path of exile for now in the run up to the torchlight 2 release, grim dawn is the one im really looking forward to though

Diablo 3 also isn't an MMO, it's a one time purchase time thing and it's not even like you can return it for other people to buy it used.

elfinke

I'm still playing. Game is great, 1.03 patch was also nice. RMAH has earned me a couple AUD for my paypal account, which is just gravy (and also really bizarre - I still can't quite grasp this idea of buying/selling things which aren't real and won't matter in due time).

But for sure I'm not playing as regularly as I was. Tribes, study and the impending Steam sale have all taken care of that!

Not really. It takes way longer to level in D2, and leveling actually matters because of stat points and skill points.

So leveling is a reward that keeps you going. You know it will always be a good thing to level. It will not always be a good thing when an item drops because of BS itemization. Blizzard has set D3 entirely item based for reward.

And there's no reason for ladder reset or PVP because of AH/RMAH.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Good.

Fuck this game, and fuck Blizzard as of late.

Hopefully this model flops hard and discourages other devs from trying to create such exploitative business models.

Hoo-doo

Banned

I know, but I missed the Diablo 2 boat back then. I'm convinced I would feel the exact same if I didn't.

I don't care about having slightly higher stats than the average player, unless it's in a MMO, where I can actively use that loot to conquer new content that was previously impossible to access.
Diablo 3 offers none of that.

I'll probably be back for the inevitable expansion though, because I like the actual gameplay and mechanics.
I'm just completely starved on content.

Christine

My brother says he tried real hard to love DIII but it's too much work to play a game that Blizzard might arbitrarily break on any given week. He finally gave up on it this past weekend.

Finaika

I think this is because of the latest 1.0.3 patch, which made Inferno too easy where even a toddler can beat it.

I can't and I can't even imagine how such at thing should be possible. Many of the elite enemies will just rape you and there is no chance that you can pay all the repair costs with the money you find. Mediocre to good items aren't selling on the AH for a long time now. In the beginning I was able to make some money there but it's now so flooded with shit that you got no chance if your item isn't i63.
It was perfectly manageable before the Inferno nerf, so it should be even easier now. If you want the game to be easy just go through Normal again.

I will never, ever touch the RMAH for this game. Fuck that noise man.

The one thing that blows with the game is also its strong point: anything beyond Hell is a bitch to solo. That does not mean it's impossible - but you really need the best tools/gear for that to succeed. Since only people mad at their money buy legendaries off the RMAH, the only valid alternative is co-op play.
What? They had to nerf the co-op damage increase because playing solo was so much easier than playing co-op. You can also beat Hell without touching the auction house easily, though on Inferno without the auction house it's appropriately difficult and requires some farming with most of the classes.

I got to level 60, beat hell, and once I discovered how utterly uncompelling inferno and the end game content are, I uninstalled the game and never looked back. I have no desire to play it again until there is new content.

Keikaku

I'm not sure how much I should trust Xfire stats but I can conceivably see this happening.

I liked the single player, but I hate what it has become because of "ESports". It's all about rushing and you rarely have any games anymore where you're allowed to tech up. At the beginning, I loved when Starcraft (the first one) was played on B.Net. It wasn't this crazy competetive scene (after a while it became that). It was fun.

Also, I was a platinum player, but didn't have the time to keep up with changes that affected builds and all that, so I got pigeon-holed into a spot where I either destroyed people or got my ass beaten. I never had any "fair" (or fun) games after that. Maybe it's not everyone else's experience, but it was mine and I doubt I'll be buying the expansion until its in the bargain bin.

Now Blizzard games are a $60 B.Net chat client to me.
This is literally the opposite experience of me and pretty much everyone I know who plays the game on the ladder.

I'm currently in Platinum and I rarely see rush games. Most of my games go to 2-base at the minimum, usually 3-4 bases and, if I lose, it's because I was the worse player. That's as fair as it gets.

I have not seen the side of the ladder that you describe since I left the hell of Bronze and Silver league. Sounds like it sucks.

Neki

I think this is because of the latest 1.0.3 patch, which made Inferno too easy where even a toddler can beat it.

Well it was too hard for some of the casuals, and it's still too hard for some people, as seen in this thread. :p

Card Boy

Banned
I have never being so hyped for a game and yet so disappointed and burned out so fast in a short period of time. The RMAH may be good for Blizzard and nerds but it has killed the game for me and I assume many others judging from those Xfire stats. It's a disgrace and I hope other shitty developers don't try replicate this crap in their game. It also doesn't help the game had heaps of promised and showcased features that never made it into game
(PVP being one) .

I don't care if Torchlight 2 sells 100K copies or 100 million is will be the true Diablo 3 in my eyes.

Fularu

Banned
Reading this thread, I have a very hard time believing most of the people complaining have *really* played D2 (with or without LoD).

Thrakier

It was perfectly manageable before the Inferno nerf, so it should be even easier now. If you want the game to be easy just go through Normal again.

Well, no, not to me and I don't even know what I'm doing wrong. I have no problems with normals mobs anyway but a lot of elites just kick my ass and judging from the reactions in the OT it's more or less the same for any Barb and melee classes in general. My gear just isn't good enough and I farmed certain parts of inferno for hours to find better stuff. All I found was crap. Sorry, but that's not fun, it's plain stupid.

SteveWD40

Just wish less people had bought it, Blizzards shitty business practices are so far vindicated on their bottom line.

Taking a beloved franchise to essentially create a virtual ATM for themselves.

Things got sketchy when they stealthily stopped supporting WoW outside of paid for xpacs yet still charge a sub, so they are using the GW2 model but WITH the sub as well, and what? 9-10M people still play it?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

You're honestly the first person I've ever seen say this before. Your opinion is one in a million.

Maximus.

Well it was too hard for some of the casuals, and it's still too hard for some people, as seen in this thread. :p

Inferno before the patch was SUPER hard unless I was missing something? Now the first two acts are doable, act 3 is a challenge but not impossible...

Also, the gameplay is just soooo repetitive, with little reward and the item drops are so bad. Sure I find 1 good item, but only after finding a mountain of shit.

FtHTiny

I do think the upward trend for WoW for the same period is interesting. I know of 2 of my friends who resubbed to WoW after quitting D3 about 2 weeks ago.

The upward trend for wow is that raiding is beeing tested on the beta server.

Well, no, not to me and I don't even know what I'm doing wrong. I have no problems with normals mobs anyway but a lot of elites just kick my ass and judging from the reactions in the OT it's more or less the same for any Barb and melee classes in general. My gear just isn't good enough and I farmed certain parts of inferno for hours to find better stuff. All I found was crap. Sorry, but that's not fun, it's plain stupid.

My friend spent 5 milions on AH for equip and now can tank act 3 inferno with barb .... Through solo he can only do act1 due to lack of dps.

Perkel

Banned
yup, played few weeks and dropped it. Now i play more Path of Exile or Diablo 2

I don't plan to go back. Easly the worst purchase in few years.

sazzy

In Diablo III's defence:

The presentation, art and sound in the game are absolutely stellar and flawless IMO. When it works, its pure bliss.

But the game and mechanics fall flat on their face in Inferno.

They worked really hard on this game - but not on the right parts.

You're honestly the first person I've ever seen say this before. Your opinion is one in a million.
Lots of people have done it, not just me. I beat it with a DH pre-nerf (but after Smokescreen nerf) without ever farming and I only used the AH to buy some cheap + move speed boots because they made kiting a lot easier. I had 16k DPS through Act 1 and most of Act 2, 22k DPS for Belial and Act 3, and 26k for Act 4. It was certainly challenging just like Inferno should be.

alstein

Just wish less people had bought it, Blizzards shitty business practices are so far vindicated on their bottom line.

Taking a beloved franchise to essentially create a virtual ATM for themselves.

Things got sketchy when they stealthily stopped supporting WoW outside of paid for xpacs yet still charge a sub, so they are using the GW2 model but WITH the sub as well, and what? 9-10M people still play it?

It might help them in the short term, but those customers who got burnt, are they going to come back for the next big Actiblizzard game? Now, FG fans have Stockholm syndrome with Capcom hard, so it isn't unprecedented, but will that apply here?

Darkkn

Played it through on normal and was bored to tears. Haven't picked up since and Blizzard balancing the game around RMAH, which i do not give a damn about, makes me not want to go back at all. Diablo 3 is the first game this year that i regret spending money on. And i was a big Diablo 2 fan. Maybe it was a better game or maybe i was dumber and easily amused back then...

Thrakier

In Diablo III's defence:

The presentation, art and sound in the game are absolutely stellar and flawless IMO. When it works, its pure bliss.

But the game and mechanics fall flat on their face in Inferno.

They worked really hard on this game - but not on the right parts.

No. And Dark D3 helps only a bit to begin with.

Well, maybe if you like WoW...

People beat the game and moved on. I think it is that simple. I know a bunch of people hyped themselves up into believing they were never going to play another game after Diablo 3 came out or something, but most people probably got their fill after playing through it once. The game is not so fun that I want to play through it 4 times or more. I liked the game, but I couldn't even make myself play through it twice.

The rise in Wow game time is probably due to WoW players coming back after beating Diablo and the fact that they're getting ready to launch Mists of Pandaria and a lot of those people are in the MOP beta too. People also want to make preparations for the expansion and others want to make sure they don't miss any of the world events.

Neki

Inferno before the patch was SUPER hard unless I was missing something? Now the first two acts are doable, act 3 is a challenge but not impossible...

Also, the gameplay is just soooo repetitive, with little reward and the item drops are so bad. Sure I find 1 good item, but only after finding a mountain of shit.

Inferno is supposed to be hard. It's the end game content, Blizzard said it wasn't supposed to be beat for months. But due to exploits and complaining, Inferno was made extremely easy.

Top Bottom