• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 rated in South Korea, Real-Money AH removed to secure the rating in SK

Diablo 3 has been causing controversy with South Korea’s ratings board for ages. Diablo 3′s real money auction house has been the main source of the problem. The idea of playing for financial gain conflicted with South Korea’s stern anti-gambling ethos, but the problem has now been resolved. Dualshockers noticed the appearance of an official 18 rating for Diablo 3 on the South Korean game rating board site. Blizzard have had to make concessions to guarantee the rating, however.

It looks as though the cash auction house has been removed entirely from the South Korean build of Diablo 3. The Korea Times carry a quote from the South Korean Games Rating Board stating that “the feature involving for-cash trades between users was not included in the presentation to the rating committee, and therefore it was not subjected to any scrutiny.” The GRB spokesperson also warned that they would “open up re-rating examinations” if Blizzard introduce the cash auction house in a post-launch patch.

The success of StarCraft 2 in South Korea makes it a hugely important territory for Blizzard, and while it’s unlikely that the long-running battle with South Korea’s ratings board has delayed Diablo 3′s worldwide release, it’s a significant spat caused by Diablo 3′s most intriguing and controversial feature. There’s still no release date for Diablo 3, but we’ve played a lot of the beta, and it’s looking very, very polished. Read all about it in our latest Diablo 3 preview.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/01/13/d...outh-korea-to-secure-official-classification/

Alchemy

What exactly is better? instead of using blizzards trusted money transfer they will use shady goldsellers...

Shhh, if it isn't officially supported by the devs it clearly isn't a huge problem that has plagued the series since Diablo 1. It isn't like it is a big enough business to support massive numbers of spam bots to this very day.

Einbroch

Banned
Brilliant. Sell the game with no auction house to get the rating you want so as many people can play it as possible, then a few months down the road patch in the auction house.

It's deviously brilliant.

FyreWulff

So they get the better version?

What's better about it? Blizzard is just cutting out the middle man and giving people a guaranteed and safer way of doing something that they're already doing. It sounded weird to me at first as well, but after a while it's like "yeah, that's actually a pretty solid idea", especially with the choices you have to make to use the AH.

It'll be interesting to see if the SK servers are riddled with gold farming and it's all quiet on that front on the others.

Brilliant. Sell the game with no auction house to get the rating you want so as many people can play it as possible, then a few months down the road patch in the auction house.

Read the article. The classification board in SK will re-evaluate the game if they do decide to add it in later and then the game will be removed from being sold.

KKRT00

What exactly is better? instead of using blizzards trusted money transfer they will use shady goldsellers...

Amount of people using 3rd party sites vs officially supported RMAH cant even be compared, the problem with RMAH will be bigger and there will be even more bots than there were in D2, also it diminishes importance of Gold Based AH, because better items will more likely be be put via RMAH, than GBAH.
So yeah, game without RMAH will probably be better, at least from items economy side.

Yeah the SK version is better because it doesn't have a optional feature. That's some fucking amazing logic guys.
Its not optional if You want to trade in Diablo 3.

lupinko

You realize gambling is like illegal in SK right? (It's also illegal in Japan but we're just talking about South Korea here.)

Door2Dawn

Banned
Amount of people using 3rd party sites vs officially supported RMAH cant even be compare, the problem with RMAH will be bigger and there will be even more bots than there was in D2, also it diminishes importance of Gold Based AH, because better items will more likely be be put via RMAH, than GBAH.
So yeah, game without RMAH will probably be better, at least from items economy side.

Its not optional if You want to trade in Diablo 3.
There's an real money auction and a game money auction. Optional feature.

TheExodu5

Banned
Amount of people using 3rd party sites vs officially supported RMAH cant even be compare, the problem with RMAH will be bigger and there will be even more bots than there was in D2, also it diminishes importance of Gold Based AH, because better items will more likely be be put via RMAH, than GBAH.

That's my take on it as well.

Will the RMAH put an end to bots and spam in the game?

Absolutely not.

It doesn't stop spam in EVE. It won't stop it here either.

Haunted

Did you read any of the posts prior to yours?
Their arguments didn't convince me!

Why read when you can troll?
guilty as charged!

wait what

Amount of people using 3rd party sites vs officially supported RMAH cant even be compared, the problem with RMAH will be bigger and there will be even more bots than there was in D2, also it diminishes importance of Gold Based AH, because better items will more likely be be put via RMAH, than GBAH.

Alchemy

Absolutely not.

It doesn't stop spam in EVE. It won't stop it here either.

Thats not the point of the feature. The point is to allow the community a safe option for RMT. RMT is going to exist if Blizzard likes it not, they're just trying to make it into something that can be designed, implemented and managed on their end for quality control and income for further game support.

Will it expand the audience that participates in RMT? Definitely, because now there won't be people afraid to send credit card info to shady chinese sites. And who cares? Does it really bother anyone when people buy in game currency in FarmVille to speed up crop production?

Ferrio

Banned

Same. It'll be interesting to see how it works out, but I don't think it will be any better than the current system.

Thats not the point of the feature. The point is to allow the community a safe option for RMT. RMT is going to exist if Blizzard likes it not, they're just trying to make it into something that can be designed, implemented and managed on their end for quality control and income for further game support.

Will it expand the audience that participates in RMT? Definitely, because now there won't be people afraid to send credit card info to shady chinese sites. And who cares? Does it really bother anyone when people buy in game currency in FarmVille to speed up crop production?

Comparing it to farmville is a stretch. You don't have PvP, you don't have competitive ladders etc. Diablo isn't a social game.

KKRT00

There's an real money auction and a game money auction. Optional feature.

It wont be, if better items will be put into only one of those AHs. Just think about it, You have awesome legendary item and have option to put into Gold Based AH or RMAH, where You can get money, what will You choose? Yeah, You can be stubborn and put it into Gold based AH, but You would be in minority, most player [like way over 90% probably] would choose RMAH.

Haunted

If they don't patch it in at a later date (which might be risky if re-evaluation is then in the cards), comparing the SK economy with those of other versions will at least make for an interesting article a couple months down the road.

Freki

If they don't patch it in at a later date (which might be risky if re-evaluation is then in the cards), comparing the SK economy with those of other versions will at least make for an interesting article a couple months down the road.

items will cost more gold compared to sk as their supply is reduced by an external currency - nothing else will happen

Alchemy

Comparing it to farmville is a stretch. You don't have PvP, you don't have competitive ladders etc. Diablo isn't a social game.

So a system of ranking PvP in a game where the outcome heavily favors those that farm frequently for rare items is a good thing that we don't want to tarnish?

Morokh

Cause trading will become exclusively trading for real money ONLY in no time.

Why would I want to trade an item I don't need when I just can put it on an official trade-for-money system and get real money for it ? (even if it is the tiniest amount)

Shady Korean farmers prevented some people from buying gold/items because it was shady, now that it will be official everything changes.

Stupidest thing ever.

Interfectum

Why would I want to trade an item I don't need when I just can put it on an official trade-for-money system and get real money for it ? (even if it is the tiniest amount)

Shady Korean farmers prevented some people from buying gold/items because it was shady, now that it will be official everything changes.

Stupidest thing ever.

Uh that's not how a market works.

If the RMAH is flooded with shit items no one will be buying hardly anything. You'll be wasting your time posting items up there as they will just expire and go back to you.

And people will still want to make in-game gold for Diablo 3 so there will still be a lot of use on the in-game auction house.

Freki

Stupidest thing ever.

because i would buy it for this "tiny" amount I got by selling a bit of gold - then i will repost it for a lot of gold...

rm and gold will balance out exactly - it won't matter for which currency you sell it regarding the rm equivalent of worth you will be getting for it

except gold is 100% useless - but then a gold only ah (like in sk) would be barren as well and koreans would use soj as a currency

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
because i would buy it for this "tiny" amount I got by selling a bit of gold - then i will repost it for a lot of gold...

rm and gold will balance out exactly - it won't matter for which currency you sell it regarding the rm equivalent of worth you will be getting for it

except gold is 100% useless - but then a gold only ah (like in sk) would be barren as well and koreans would use soj as a currency

So you can exchange in-game gold for RMAH credits? That'd be pretty cool.

Interfectum

The only things that will truly sell on the RMAH will be very, very rare items. Some of you are way, way over-estimating the impact of this thing.

I would rather sell a epic item on the in-game AH for 10,000 gold than sell it on the RMAH for $1 (if it even sells for that much).

Interfectum

Haha this too.

You are going to have people buying shit on the RMAH and immediately reposting it on the in-game AH for gold.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I would rather sell a epic item on the in-game AH for 10,000 gold than sell it on the RMAH for $1 (if it even sells for that much).

You act like in game gold won't have a corresponding real life monetary value. Also don't worry, considering people still buy shit for D2 for >$1, I'm sure that epic item will go for more than that dollar of yours.

Alchemy

Stupidest thing ever.

How often do people trade items directly anyways? Oh wait, they didn't. They traded SoJs or whatever the current gold replacement was because gold was worthless in D2.

The gold AH fills this role fine.

Chocoboko

Is this some Diablo 3 meme or did I miss something?

Guess you missed it. Best Buy printed out a bunch of advertisements for their stores stating that Diablo 3 was dropping Feb. 1st with a countdown clock and everything. Gamestop and a few other online retails also updated their release dates to match Feb. 1st.

Blizzard has since denied it, but who knows what is really going on. There is a thread on it somewhere on GAF. I think Wario64 created it.

Guess you missed it. Best Buy printed out a bunch of advertisements for their stores stating that Diablo 3 was dropping Feb. 1st with a countdown clock and everything. Gamestop and a few other online retails also updated their release dates to match Feb. 1st.

Blizzard has since denied it, but who knows what is really going on. There is a thread on it somewhere on GAF. I think Wario64 created it.

Feb 1st 2012?

In two weeks ?!?

Whoa!

Top Bottom