• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great OT.

Can I ask, what was so hated about the game originally and what is different now?

The difficulty once you hit inferno spiked hard, and all along the way loot drops were tuned for the auction house. So you could play for hours without having anything useful for yourself drop. I played 250 hours, and aside from the start when you have nothing, nearly all of my gear had to be bought from the auction house to stay competitive. Never found a single legendary either. For a game centered around finding loot, this was terrible design.

The game is much better tuned with new difficulties, class balance, and more frequent loot that has a higher chance at rolling affixes designed for your class. In my first hour post patch, I was able to upgrade every slot with useful gear, often replacing level 40ish items with level 60, simply because prepatch I hadn't found anything good in 20 levels of play. 2.0 was a complete relaunch as far as I'm concerned.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
The Auction House literally warped every single aspect of loot design around it, causing the game to devolve into grinding gold to buy gear instead of killing monsters. Due to the presence of the AH, actual good drops were made scarce, and you'd have a ton of useless crap. Now, with the AH being removed, there's still a ton of crap but you'll also get many more drops that you can actually use. (And the crap is used for crafting.)
The difficulty once you hit inferno spiked hard, and all along the way loot drops were tuned for the auction house. So you could play for hours without having anything useful for yourself drop. I played 250 hours, and aside from the start, when you have nothing, nearly all of my gear had to be bought from the auction house to stay competitive. Never found a single legendary either. For a game centered around finding loot, this was terrible design.

The game is much better tuned with new difficulties, class balance, and more frequent loot that has a higher chance at rolling affixes designed for your class. In my first hour post patch, I was able to upgrade every slot with useful gear, often replacing level 40ish items with level 60, simply because prepatch I hadn't found anything good in 20 levels of play. 2.0 was a complete relaunch as far as I'm concerned.

Oh, sounds better now though, anyone know when the PS4 version is due?

I wouldn't be surprised if ladder information needs to be added in a few days from now.

I'm fairly excited after going on an unintentional blackout shortly after the beta started. Seems like the concerns at that time were due to bugged skills and overtuned drop rates that have now been fixed, so here's to hoping RoS has a smooth launch period.

ampere

Woah this comes out in a week already?

I need to patch and try out loot 2.0. My toon is still level 50 so I have a lot to see. I'm actually going to try the game out with a tablet instead of mouse, heard it's an awesome way to control for Diablo.

kirblar

I need to patch and try out loot 2.0. My toon is still level 50 so I have a lot to see. I'm actually going to try the game out with a tablet instead of mouse, heard it's an awesome way to control for Diablo.
You'll hit 60 within a few hours. 1.5x EXP bonus until RoS launches. Been trying to get all my non-60s to 60 before the X-Pack hits.

Valnen

Leveling is super fast if you abuse the exp bonus on higher difficulties after grabbing some gear. You can get to 60 before you even finish Act 4, and that's starting at level 1.

kirblar

Leveling is super fast if you abuse the exp bonus on higher difficulties after grabbing some gear. You can get to 60 before you even finish Act 4, and that's starting at level 1.
I suspect the curve is currently tuned to try and get players to 60 by the time they finish their first game now. The guys I'm leveling are probably all going to hit 60 pre-Diablo.

Kacho

Blizz servers are not prepared. This expansion going to be amazing. I'm betting tons will come back.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Love the OT. Definitely excited after playing a bunch of the game since the 2.0 patch, although I got sidetracked by Dark Souls II. Too much cool shit coming out at the end of this month...

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

For anyone looking to level up some extra characters while the exp bonus is active.

Fastest way I found is to load your low level up with exp boosting gear, (hellfire ring, ruby in helm, any other exp boosts), and then have a geared 60 run you through Torment 6.

Lowbie creates T6 game at act 1 beginning, (graveyard a1 runs work even better).
60 geared joins lowbie's game and runs a train on all the enemies. (they will be scaled off game creator, so they will be lowbie T6 mobs)
Lowbie sits back and gets blinded by leveling flashes

anyone wonder if they'll have another expansion?

RoS adds one more stash tab. Stash has room for three more tabs currently.

3 expansions confirmed.

Wait, this game is good now? What changed?

Patch 2.0

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I can be a fan of Low-fi OTs but no title? You need more time on your hands, Yoshi.

Man, I have been playing this game too much. That's the only reason why this OT was slightly rushed... sorry!

Cincaid

So excited and so glad to be a part of the <GAF> clan in-game as well! Having a break until the expansion, which thankfully will release the day after this term's final exam! \o/

Um9LjJC.jpg

So much god tier sadly obsolete in 9-10 days.

kitzkozan

Great OT.

Can I ask, what was so hated about the game originally and what is different now?

Almost everything? :p Higher level difficulties were broken beyond belief, locking you into specific builds which were boring as fuck for the most part. The loot was atrocious, since it was designed around the existence of the AH thus you played to gain money in order to buy better gear. No paragon levels in the first few months, so people had nothing to look forward after reaching Inferno or beating it. No pvp whatsoever while it was promised and grouping was an actual penalty over playing solo lol. The campaign itself garnering criticisms for it's writing and pacing. :p

Not that the campaign has changed, but people tolerate it these days since they know that adventure mode will be available in a little more than a week. ;) The biggest change is that arpg are repetitive by design, but the selling point is that you kill monsters to get loot and you never know when you are going to get something amazing. They brought back the addictiveness just by letting you kill monsters and get the loot, which is the basis of Diablo or any worthwhile loot arpg.

They rebalanced the classes so there's plenty of viable build, grouping is a nice bonus over playing solo and you can be part of a clan so it's more social. Reworking the difficulty levels is also a positive change in my book since you can and should find a nice balance between challenge and efficient gold/exp gain.

I think I've put more hours into the game since patch 2.0 than I did in the launch window lol. :p My last achievement dated back to june 2012 so I went on a year and a half hiatus. o_o The game wasn't as bad as it's haters declared, but it wasn't very good either. I will probably put 50+ hours by next week to get a couple more paragon levels and getting another toon to 60.

mileS

"fuck that loser" continues to slay me each and every time. Excellent OT brother. We really need to work on a title though.. brainstorm time people

Razakin

I like this! Any other takers on the OT name?
As I've already promised ingame, so this ain't a joke, I'm slain'd serious:
Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Yoshichan was slain by a Shadow Clone!

But you could add the info about Wings of Valor also (and some demon hunter for some LoL-clone, but who cares about those two).

What happens to our Paragon level when the expansion hits? Also, is it safe to assume that these levels won't even be used in ladder play?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So the one OT I don't spend three days making is the one OT people like the most?!

What the FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK, haha!

Thanks a lot for the PMs, replies (and even Skype calls LOL).

Laieon

A little over a week to go, can't wait until I get my CE! Still disappointed that I was never able to track down a CE for Vanilla...

2.0 is great, but I still can only play in short hour or two bursts before I get bored. Hopefully Adventure Mode livens things up a bit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom