• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT3| Tyrael Looted: {[El'druin]}

Portrait and wings and pets and other similar things are unlocked on the account, so right away as season starts. That's why you can have a pet at the start of the new season to pick up your gold, or run with the previous season flag/portrait.

Transmogs is a bit different. Some transmogs are opened on an account level(specifically the season reward transmogs, that one set they keep recycling every season), but everything else isn't and needs to be found again. I assume the new ones will be similar, so they won't transfer to your non season characters until the season is over.

Xanathus

Here's my plan for approaching Season 6. I want to main a Wizard for end-game GR pushing and speed farming with the Flashfire build, but the Haedrig set that Wizard gets is awful for both doing GRs or farming. The best free season sets to start with are Demon Hunter's and Monk's, but Demon Hunters are pretty useless in the group GR meta so I don't want to spend time/resources on that. So instead I'll start off with Monk and get the Inna set, then farm up the SWK set so I can speed farm TX and start gambling for Wizard gear with a power-leveled Wizard. This way I will have 2 options for high GR groups, I can use a ZDPS monk or a Tal Rasha Twister Wizard.

Another consideration is to instead just start with Wizard and use that free set to farm for the better sets. Sure Delsere is awful but it might not be too bad compared to the other free sets and it might save time instead of having to get a 2nd character power leveled.

Ayumi

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, wings and portraits are probably account-wide so only the item transmogs will not carry over from NS to S. So it's worth farming the wings and portraits so that I have something shiny on my seasonal characters.

B-But if they drop NS, you won't be able to use them in Season. :v

Or do transmogs carry over to season? If so, I think they're the only things that do.
I honestly can't even remember.

Xanathus

B-But if they drop NS, you won't be able to use them in Season. :v

Or do transmogs carry over to season? If so, I think they're the only things that do.
I honestly can't even remember.

Stuff that you equip using the cosmetics wardrobe menu carry over like wings, portraits, pennants, pets. Stuff that you transmog using Kadala don't except for the Conqueror stuff and possibly something else.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Here's my plan for approaching Season 6. I want to main a Wizard for end-game GR pushing and speed farming with the Flashfire build, but the Haedrig set that Wizard gets is awful for both doing GRs or farming. The best free season sets to start with are Demon Hunter's and Monk's, but Demon Hunters are pretty useless in the group GR meta so I don't want to spend time/resources on that. So instead I'll start off with Monk and get the Inna set, then farm up the SWK set so I can speed farm TX and start gambling for Wizard gear with a power-leveled Wizard. This way I will have 2 options for high GR groups, I can use a ZDPS monk or a Tal Rasha Twister Wizard.

Another consideration is to instead just start with Wizard and use that free set to farm for the better sets. Sure Delsere is awful but it might not be too bad compared to the other free sets and it might save time instead of having to get a 2nd character power leveled.

Hmm, good question. Starting with the monk would be faster for the goal of eventually having a monk and wizard. Sticking with the wizard would be faster if you only really want to play wizard. To help get over that awkward transition, I'd say team up with other wizards and gear share to help one get to TX carry status as quickly as possible, then they can return the favour to the rest.

I'm going to be sticking with multiboxing this time around since I've been needing to step away for baby stuff pretty often lately.

Season start:
4 x Inna monks until my main is geared up
(looking forward to the horde of mystic allies here)

Eventual GR crew:
Inna's generator monk (main)
LoN thorn barb
zDPS Crusader
zDPS WD
Just playing high attack speed melee for fun here - not expecting to be on any leaderboards, but it should do well enough. DH could have worked in place of the crusader, but it's harder to fit in with the other play styles.

I don't need the Haedrig sets for the GR builds for the other classes, so might as well use them to help the main monk gear up more quickly in the beginning.

biaxident

Monk definitely has a strong haedrigs set to use, none of the others are jumping out to me. I might just roll hardcore monk this season and mainly avoid softcore unless I get tired of DC deaths. Quin had a nice guide for monks to get to t10 farm status the first day easily. Hearthstone expansion hits tomorrow though, why do you always do this blizz!!

I guess I'll go Monk too. But from what you guys are saying, most rewards can be earned before the season begins? Which of these cosmetics cannot be earned outside of the season in addition to the Stash tab?

MrDaravon

Yeah I messed around with it some more and ruled out playing Wiz this season, I can't/don't want to deal with the archon skill spam and at the point people suggest numlock as the way to go I'm out for sure lol. So a toss-up between Monk and DH for me, I need to look more into Monk builds for 2.4.1, info is a bit scattered since the patch isn't officially out yet and with their not being a ton of changes this season not as much interest/posting on reddit etc regarding newer builds. I don't really have any interest in playing support, but if the Monk mangle generator build is still a thing I might roll with that, especially with Innas being the free set. Will keep an eye on things this week.

I guess I'll go Monk too. But from what you guys are saying, most rewards can be earned before the season begins? Which of these cosmetics cannot be earned outside of the season in addition to the Stash tab?

We'll find out for sure when Seasons start, but so far the rule of thumb has been that standard transmogs (ex. Manticore, Shenlong fists, Wand of Woh etc) do NOT carry into Seasons. However what has so far carried into seasons are:

-Anything you equip via the cosmetics window; portrait frames, banners, pets, wings, etc.
-ONLY the Transmogs obtained via the Season rewards (aka the Conquerer's set) as well I as believe the RoS CE transmogs carry into seasons.

So the idea here is that if the patch goes up tomorrow (???) people could at least farm the new wings and whimseyshire portrait (not sure if there are other portraits?) before Season 6 starts partially as something to do and partially just so they can roll into the season with them. Assuming the transmog thing holds up all of the new white transmog items probably won't carry into season 6 though, but even if they don't you could farm them to get them "out of the way" if you don't want to do it while season is running etc.

Wallach

I'm gonna go WD to start this season. Roll up on some dudes with Bimmy, Jimmy & Timmy Lee and the wolf pack.

Then at some point make a MS DH like I do every season.

I'm also on team Monk this season, but I think I'll roll a DH or maybe even a Witch Doctor as a second character. I did barb last season and I really enjoyed it, too. Leapquake was fun.

I'd like to complete all the season journey this season. What conquests are people going to focus on?

Following up on what Daravon said, messed around on PTR for a few hours with full ancient Firebird/Archon. The build is not fun for me at all, yes it is really strong but I don't enjoy actually playing the build. At the end of the day if it isn't fun which means I wouldn't stick with it. So either rolling Monk/Barb...probably monk which is meh. Probably gonna get stash and a few things and call this season short.

Xanathus

I'm gonna go WD to start this season. Roll up on some dudes with Bimmy, Jimmy & Timmy Lee and the wolf pack.

Then at some point make a MS DH like I do every season.

I'm also on team Monk this season, but I think I'll roll a DH or maybe even a Witch Doctor as a second character. I did barb last season and I really enjoyed it, too. Leapquake was fun.

I'd like to complete all the season journey this season. What conquests are people going to focus on?
If you guys are planning on actually playing a DH in season then I highly advice you to play it as your first character because the Marauder set far outpowers the Inna set and you will get geared for TX farming much faster (or at least get the Unhallowed Essence set much faster for TX farming).

MrDaravon

If you guys are planning on actually playing a DH in season then I highly advice you to play it as your first character because the Marauder set far outpowers the Inna set and you will get geared for TX farming much faster (or at least get the Unhallowed Essence set much faster for TX farming).

This is true; I think people are running to Monk first because Innas is pretty good and used in some of the end-game builds so getting it ASAP is obviously really good. But if you're gonna wind up playing both Monk and DH at some point I'd also recommend going DH first since Maras will rocket you further than Innas will immediately.

Still don't know what I want to do, I know if I wind up starting as DH I'm just gonna stick with it again lol. DHs having like zero presence in endgame group meta is really putting me off but I don't know why given that I play mostly solo and when I play with folks here no one really takes it that super seriously, or at least 99% of the time they won't. Hm.

Not sure what I want to roll and how much time I'll put in. Definitely not Wizard again. Don't like to do back to back seasons with the same class, especially with so little changed.

Monk bandwagon seems gud.

Otherwise maybe a Witch Doctor finally?

Baliis

Not sure what I want to roll and how much time I'll put in. Definitely not Wizard again. Don't like to do back to back seasons with the same class, especially with so little changed.

Jump on the WD bandwagon with me. Though I might only play HC this season, specially if biaxident starts with HC too/

Duress

I think I want to try Barb this season, but I should probably give Demon Hunter a shot. I leveled one to max level, but never played it too much.

Xanathus

Rolling a WD seems like a good meta choice because it looks like everyone and their dog is gonna roll a Monk which means there will be a glut of ZDPS monks available for 4 man groups. I predict that ZDPS WD will be the most highly sought for member in seasons in this case.

Raticus79

I wanna say probably works for group members? I mean it doesn't specify your thorns.

Yeah, must be. I can't see another reason for it. Should be an easy thing to verify at least. I was going to check on the PTR leaderboard to see if those thorns barbs were running with similar crusaders, but it's down now.

Dreavus

Gonna go DH I think. Haven't played one proper in any season yet and the free set they have this time around looks pretty fun to start with.

Baliis

Does this shield's effect benefit group members? (Enemies affected by provoke take double thorns damage)
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/votoyias-spiker
Trying to figure out why it's used in that zDPS crusader build. If it doubles the damage of the LoN thorns barb or other crusaders, that would explain it.

It might, but there wouldn't be much of a point since your actual thorns damage is a pretty small part of your damage unless it was changed this patch. The invoker 6 piece and barrel rune on bombard don't benefit from it.

Raticus79

It might, but there wouldn't be much of a point since your actual thorns damage is a pretty small part of your damage unless it was changed this patch. The invoker 6 piece and barrel rune on bombard don't benefit from it.

It would be for combining with this: http://www.diablofans.com/builds/78133-2-4-1-lon-thorns-frenzy-barb

Most of the damage comes from Hack there, and I saw from other threads that the spiker works with it, so if it affects team members it could be pretty significant.

Ploid 3.0

Time to farm transmogs. Is gaf PC going to do group stuff to collect them?

Edit: I want to do Witch Doctor, but I haven't even looked at the patch notes, so I don't even know what changed for them really. I just like pets and always gravitate to WD. Please be good, please be good.

Dreavus

Oh jeez I thought this was coming out on Friday.

This week specifically I have very little free time!

EDIT: maybe i am mixing up patch and season start.

MrDaravon

It's not live for EU yet, darn itttttt!

Regions generally get it on their patch/maintenance day, so you should get it tomorrow (Wednesday).

Oh jeez I thought this was coming out on Friday.

This week specifically I have very little free time!

EDIT: maybe i am mixing up patch and season start.

Season 6 still doesn't start until Friday, this is just the 2.4.1 patch. Patches generally hit the maintenance day before Seasons, only reason people in general care this time is some of the cosmetic stuff they're adding with this patch can roll over into Seasons (Wings, Portrait Frames, possibly Pets?) so some folks are using this small window to get that stuff done before Season 6 starts.

MrDaravon

Been farming Whimseyshire (for the portrait) and Gardens of Hope 1 (for the wings chest) for like 2 hours with no luck, not sure how rare these are supposed to be or not?

On the other hand I actually got my first ever Spectrum drop so finally got that transmog, and I also ran into one of the pet goblins in Gardens and got the pet that's the Mimic with legs. It's goddamn hilarious when it's running and it sometimes laughs. It's pretty good.

Wallach

Took me 3 fucking hours on Friday. I'm still mad.

It's pretty easy for me - I grab all of the stackable shit, the 1-5 really sick items I remember being worth a shit, then I salvage the fuck out of everything else. Any more effort to hoard shit in non-seasonal that I haven't touched since seasons started ain't worth it.

Raticus79

I did some testing with a friend and confirmed Hack on a barb + Vo'Toyias Spiker on a crusader doubles the barb's damage while Provoke is on the target.

Should make for some insane single target damage.

Sober

Oh good, they fixed the firebird's set dungeon so it doesn't require you to look up a build and strip your equipment down just to do one of the objectives.

MrDaravon

Nearly 6 hours of nothing but Whimseyshire and Gardens of Hope 1 for the Whimeyshire Portrait and Raven Wings and nothing. If I'd known it was gonna be this fucked I might not have even started in on this -_-. Did run into one pet gob and got that Mimic pet, and just ran into a Whimsey Goblin so got a Whimseydale spawn but no Princess Lillian. Curious as to how hard those Cosmic Wings are gonna be to get, Whimsey gob is fairly rare, and apparently Lillian is a very rare spawn as well, in his video Quin said he's only seen her the one time.

Ayumi

Nearly 6 hours of nothing but Whimseyshire and Gardens of Hope 1 for the Whimeyshire Portrait and Raven Wings and nothing. If I'd known it was gonna be this fucked I might not have even started in on this -_-. Did run into one pet gob and got that Mimic pet, and just ran into a Whimsey Goblin so got a Whimseydale spawn but no Princess Lillian. Curious as to how hard those Cosmic Wings are gonna be to get, Whimsey gob is fairly rare, and apparently Lillian is a very rare spawn as well, in his video Quin said he's only seen her the one time.
Well I don't think Blizzard made it so that we can get it that easily. It's a rare elite, and I hope people don't expect them to be less rare, than say, the cow rift.

MrDaravon

Well I don't think Blizzard made it so that we can get it that easily. It's a rare elite, and I hope people don't expect them to be less rare, than say, the cow rift.

Yeah, it's a fine line where I agree you don't want them to be super common, but on the other hand you probably don't want them to be super rare. That said I don't necessarily mind the super rare stuff being locked in specific zones (aka Whimseyshire, Gardens of Hope 1, all the transmog chests, etc) since that's just a timesink but you can at least be focused. The Whimseydale one is the only one that seems like it might be kinda fucked as you'll have to find a rainbow gob which isn't that common AND is something you can't farm a specific location for or in rifts, then even if you get one it's apparently a very rare spawn on top of that. No specific location + RNG on top of RNG is kinda ehhhhhhhhhhhhh. Don't feel super strongly about any of it really but it seems like maybe a fine line, especially with them not doing much else this season in terms of changes or additions.

Baliis

Did a practice run last night and did 1-70 + izual + GR20 in like 3.5 hours, though I got some lucky rng with a signet and crown drop and a level req weapon. Pretty fun rolling around with all the pets as WD. There's like a 30 level stretch as long as you keep up with good weapons that's just non stop running as your haunt chains from mob to mob and your pets clean up elites.

Ploid 3.0

Did a practice run last night and did 1-70 + izual + GR20 in like 3.5 hours, though I got some lucky rng with a signet and crown drop and a level req weapon. Pretty fun rolling around with all the pets as WD. There's like a 30 level stretch as long as you keep up with good weapons that's just non stop running as your haunt chains from mob to mob and your pets clean up elites.

Wow that's fast. I'm going to Witch Doctor it up too. I hoped another expansion would come with necromancer as a class but it seems like they are making it so witch doctor's pets are worth building around. From launch to now, it's like a whole different class.

I used the fetish army with mimics builds two seasons ago, I hope this new season feels a bit different.

Ayumi

Yeah, it's a fine line where I agree you don't want them to be super common, but on the other hand you probably don't want them to be super rare. That said I don't necessarily mind the super rare stuff being locked in specific zones (aka Whimseyshire, Gardens of Hope 1, all the transmog chests, etc) since that's just a timesink but you can at least be focused. The Whimseydale one is the only one that seems like it might be kinda fucked as you'll have to find a rainbow gob which isn't that common AND is something you can't farm a specific location for or in rifts, then even if you get one it's apparently a very rare spawn on top of that. No specific location + RNG on top of RNG is kinda ehhhhhhhhhhhhh. Don't feel super strongly about any of it really but it seems like maybe a fine line, especially with them not doing much else this season in terms of changes or additions.
Yeah, I don't want it to be too rare either. On the bright side, ridiculously rare stuff tends to get boosted in spawn rate after enough complaints on the official forum, so it all depends on how rare it turns out to be. I guess simply because players just can't keep focusing on that only as they have more important stuff to do (most will probably care about GR once season starts).

Found some weird spider head cosmeitc last night. if anyone needs the transmog just hit me up when I'm on.

It's pretty easy for me - I grab all of the stackable shit, the 1-5 really sick items I remember being worth a shit, then I salvage the fuck out of everything else. Any more effort to hoard shit in non-seasonal that I haven't touched since seasons started ain't worth it.

I hear you but part of the reason my gear is so good is becuase I *didn't* salvage everything just because it wasn't in vogue at the moment. Shit like the Chantodo's pieces...various random pieces of Wiz gear that previously had no set to go with or no major use? Their habit of randomly buffing obscure shit into relevance (if not right into the spotlight) is hard to ignore. So I keep good things.

Question....why does everyone want to speed level so quickly? I'm about to jump into Diablo 3 in my first season, and it seems like everyone has a specific goal of blowing through. Is it to work on getting high level gear as soon as possible or what?

Top Bottom