• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV in internal testing (diablo iii released a year after its internal testing)

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/gaming...-is-underway-development-progressing-well/amp

In its recent quarterly fiscal report, Activision Blizzard confirmed that development on both Diablo 4 and Overwatch 2 is “progressing well”. In fact, the former seems to have hit a significant production milestone, and is now being internally playtested “company-wide”.

As a reference diablo iii was play tested internally in 2011:

And released in 2012

Fake

Don't matter much. Will have the same issues as Diablo 3 and Diablo 2 remastered in the day launch had.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
error 37

Every time I hear anything about diablo 4, all it does it make me wish for Last Epoch to release and for Crate to make a GD2. I can dream!

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Played D3 on PC and enjoyed it. Loved D3 when it came out on console and put an ungodly amount of time into it. As good as other dungeon-crawlers are (and Grim Dawn is good), there's something about D3 that scratches the right "casual" itch.

Looking forward to it! Would be nice if it launched on GamePass day one next year.

. . .legit was about to say "My god this GP begging has got to stop! Why would they release this on Gamepass!?!" Strange new world we live in.

Sojiro

No auction house this time? :p I remain casually optimistic with this game, and am not going to jump right in like I did with D3. I like D3 after Reaper of Souls, but I was there at launch and it was pretty rough with a lot of issues, and they had a god damn Auction House (worse even with a real money transaction side). Funny enough, the shitty Auction House paid for the cost of my game and then some, but I hope to god they never implement it back in again. The challenge for Blizzard though is the competition, Path of Exile is the king of this genre currently, and I hear good things about Lost Ark even though I personally have never tried it, so good luck to Blizzard, hopefully they can make Diablo IV something to be excited about, I am going to wait and see on it though.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
No auction house this time? :p I remain casually optimistic with this game, and am not going to jump right in like I did with D3. I like D3 after Reaper of Souls, but I was there at launch and it was pretty rough with a lot of issues, and they had a god damn Auction House (worse even with a real money transaction side). Funny enough, the shitty Auction House paid for the cost of my game and then some, but I hope to god they never implement it back in again. The challenge for Blizzard though is the competition, Path of Exile is the king of this genre currently, and I hear good things about Lost Ark even though I personally have never tried it, so good luck to Blizzard, hopefully they can make Diablo IV something to be excited about, I am going to wait and see on it though.
Back in the early days I thought the auction house was pretty cool (before they added real money). Rare stuff was actually rare and valuable. It was fun shopping for stuff to complete my build. And when I found something valuable but not useful for my build, it was fun to auction it and see how much I could get.

Honestly wouldn’t mind something like that. I think it would’ve been much better received if they kept it limited to in-game currency only.

Sojiro

Back in the early days I thought the auction house was pretty cool (before they added real money). Rare stuff was actually rare and valuable. It was fun shopping for stuff to complete my build. And when I found something valuable but not useful for my build, it was fun to auction it and see how much I could get.

Honestly wouldn’t mind something like that. I think it would’ve been much better received if they kept it limited to in-game currency only.
No you are right, I didn't think of the benefit of the legit AH and lumped it into what the real money side was like. Honestly, an interface where players can trade/sell things to each other like the AH within the game would be a good thing, since with PoE most people would have a tab open to poe.trade for all their trading needs. Having a place built in to the game would be welcome, so yeah definitely would be ok with the AH being there, but keep the real money out of it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Diablo Immortals is releasing June 3, 2022. I dont see D4 releasing in 2023 so close to it even if they are meant for different platforms.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Immortals looks great for a mobile game but there's no way it's going to scratch the full PC ARPG itch for PC players.

It's also an F2P game, if a PC player gets really into this and decides not to buy Diablo 4 why would Blizzard care if that person is spending money on the F2P stuff? It's seriously doubtful you'd have a great experience playing this game for a year straight and not spending some serious $$$.

So D4 releasing in 2023 still makes perfect sense. Most hardcore Diablo players would just emulate Immortals anyways, which is the stated reason for just releasing this on PC.

Faithless83

Banned
In before the female characters have better stats than the male ones.

I'm on a wait and see mode on this one, they managed to fix D3 eventually, but I don't know if they will pull this one properly at release.

We'll always have Path of Exile 2 to look forward to though.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
to be fair it might take longer this time round, the testers will need to be flagging all instances of women found within the test, it will take time to replace all of those with fruit.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Here come the haters! I for one, am VERY excited for D4. I say we are getting a March release! Maybe May at the latest. I can't wait!

Shifty

I'll observe from a safe distance until the World War Z login pileup sorts itself out, then check for vestiges of Diablo Immortal.

If the coast is clear, it'll be nice to play another ARPG. Grim Dawn is my only real frame of reference for the subgenre, but I had a good time with it.

I should probably give D2R a proper shot at some point seeing as it's sitting in my library, legendary game and all that 🤔 the activision controversy at release rendered that one DOA for my co-op group, so my solo run didn't get far.

Edgelord79

Gold Member

I know I’m in the minority, but I’ve always felt that having some sort of marketplace is important to these types of games.

DavidGzz

I know I’m in the minority, but I’ve always felt that having some sort of marketplace is important to these types of games.

For sure, there is a reason WoW, Overwatch, etc get way more patches and support than Diablo 3. They have continued revenue. Cosmetics revenue will help Blizzard care about continuing to support D4 for the long haul. Does it suck that games need this to get more support? Yeah. Is it necessary at this point for large devs to put time and money into a game that's been out for a while? Yep.

Top Bottom