• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diagnose my chronic knee pain medicalGaf

History: i've been a physically active and athletic person through my 32 years of life. lots of sports. hiking. etc. worked out fairly consistently multiple times a week until this past year with the arrival of my first child. No known direct knee injuries in my past.

Initial Occurrence: I moved my family across the country and drove most of the way. somewhere during these long stretches of driving, I noticed around maybe the 4 hours mark, my knee would get incredibly stiff and it was painful to unbend the knee. I chalked it up to keeping the knee bent in one pose for so long. etc.

Current Day: Anytime I unbend my knee now after sitting for a short period of time now, my knee aches. it's typically painful when trying to twist or unbend itself. not to the point where i feel it every time i walk, but its typically when I go from sitting or sleeping. crossing my legs etc. ive tried to narrow down where it aches and i cant/ the whole area feels sore. the back of the knee, the upper front sides, and lower front sides. just typing this out i try to straighten the leg and i can feel the pain.... its not excruciating. of course the longer its in a pose the more intense the pain when unbending and rotating.

I just want to know whats up. is it arthritis? is it permanent? is it bone cancer? is it some other disease? I dont want to lose my leg.

I think i should get an MRI, but gaf is typically the better community to seek answers.

Last edited:

J-Roderton

Kinda got the same thing going on. Forgot what the doc told me years ago, but it was basically "You have a bad knee." Too many years of baseball and snowboarding I reckon.

olimariOA

Banned
There are ways to keep your knees intact with some really simple exercises. As we age the ligaments that support the knee get loose, don't hold the knee together the same and are prone to injuries. After long days on your feet or prolonged walking, running etc. you got to ice them. But ya talk to a physician about knee exercises to strengthen those ligaments. It will do wonders for you. Take 15 minutes out of your day to do them and you'll feel as good as new.

Last edited:

mekes

Possible groin strain? How long has your knee been aching?

Although as somebody who does a lot of driving I do sometimes get an achy knee if I’ve been in the car for too long. Especially if I’ve been in heavy traffic for hours. Mine will usually be better the next day tho.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Yeah it's called not keeping up with proper body maintenance. Just like a car, if you don't peform the routine maintenance shit is going to start going bad.

I would start with a foam roller

Sounds like age, but there's a lot you can do.
Stretching and exercise is something you've got on lockdown.

Consider supplements as well like Turmeric and Curcumin
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DBTFO98/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Or collagen peptides
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XQ2XGAA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If there's any fluid buildup it could be bursitis in which case just overcome the pain with your mind and reduce the swelling with supplements, a good diet, and warm compresses.
Good post.

Do what you can to reduce your inflammation. Turmeric + black pepper is pretty effective.

haxan7

Banned
It sounds like your situation is different than mine. But I had chronic knee pain starting in my early 20s from running too much and not stretching properly (I'm 34 now). I kept running for years and would just ice my knees after every run to lessen it (which helped somewhat).

Then I took a mandatory phys. ed class in college, and they taught me a full, proper stretch routine preceded by a 5-minute warmup. No more knee pain and I could run as much as I wanted.

highrider

Banned
Sounds like arthritis. Pretty common in athletes as you age, particularly in the knees.

Source: me lol

Last edited:

paparazzo

May sound like a kooky idea, but if you've ruled all structural stuff out, it could be a psychosomatic issue called tension myositis (TMS). It's not that the pain is in your head, but things like stress, anxiety, emotions, etc. are causing the body to cut off blood-flow, which can cause chronic pain. Admittedly I'm no expert and haven't yet delved into this method for my own issues, but I've found a good number of success stories. Most people say reading one of John Sarno's books was enough. Googling "tms knee pain" brings up various blogs and forum posts on the issue.

This 20/20 segment is a good starting point

Papa

Banned
I've had several knee injuries and have found that stretching and foam rolling are the only solutions. I had recurring pain in the outside of my knee which was related to an excessively tight iliotibial band (ITB). This injury is also known as runner's knee, and the treatment is to roll out the ITB with a foam roller after every run. The other injury I've had was related to excessively tight hip flexors as a result of sitting down too much. The symptom for me was sharp pain at the bottom of the knee cap / patella. The best treatment for this is hip flexor stretches similar to this video except I put my back foot up on a chair for an even stronger stretch:

Gander

Banned
As with all things I suggest a change of eating habits. Unless you can Identify a particular activity directly contributing to the aches like sports or work it probably has to do with what you are putting in your body.

Papa

Banned
As with all things I suggest a change of eating habits. Unless you can Identify a particular activity directly contributing to the aches like sports or work it probably has to do with what you are putting in your body.

Changing diet to fix knee pain? That’s a new one to me.

That’s pretty unlikely. Without a history of trauma, my recommendation is to take whatever anti-inflammatories you prefer, be it natural or pharmaceutical, do some therapy, and lose some weight if you need to. If that’s not working, get a set of standing X-rays (3 or 4 view) and possibly an MRI. Osteoarthritis is unlikely at your age in the absence of significant trauma. Furthermore, unless you’re an extremely high level athlete, recreational sports do not increase the risk of developing knee arthritis.

Gander

Banned
That’s pretty unlikely. Without a history of trauma, my recommendation is to take whatever anti-inflammatories you prefer, be it natural or pharmaceutical, do some therapy, and lose some weight if you need to. If that’s not working, get a set of standing X-rays (3 or 4 view) and possibly an MRI. Osteoarthritis is unlikely at your age in the absence of significant trauma. Furthermore, unless you’re an extremely high level athlete, recreational sports do not increase the risk of developing knee arthritis.

Umm, you said the same thing I did just in a different way.

olimariOA

Banned
Changing diet to fix knee pain? That’s a new one to me.

Diet and inflammation in the body are linked.
When I went low carb a lot of things changed in my body including gaining the ability to breathe clearly through my nose for the first time in my life. Joint paint subsided. Bursitis in my knee went away.

Not advocating for such a diet necessarily, but there are mild allergens in a lot of food and carbs do get processed as sugars in the body.

Dude, the same exact thing has just happened to me, I went to a convention the other day, did the most amount of walking I've done in a while and now my knee has been hurting me ever since.

I'm 29, could it just be an aging thing?

Corrik

History: i've been a physically active and athletic person through my 32 years of life. lots of sports. hiking. etc. worked out fairly consistently multiple times a week until this past year with the arrival of my first child. No known direct knee injuries in my past.

Initial Occurrence: I moved my family across the country and drove most of the way. somewhere during these long stretches of driving, I noticed around maybe the 4 hours mark, my knee would get incredibly stiff and it was painful to unbend the knee. I chalked it up to keeping the knee bent in one pose for so long. etc.

Current Day: Anytime I unbend my knee now after sitting for a short period of time now, my knee aches. it's typically painful when trying to twist or unbend itself. not to the point where i feel it every time i walk, but its typically when I go from sitting or sleeping. crossing my legs etc. ive tried to narrow down where it aches and i cant/ the whole area feels sore. the back of the knee, the upper front sides, and lower front sides. just typing this out i try to straighten the leg and i can feel the pain.... its not excruciating. of course the longer its in a pose the more intense the pain when unbending and rotating.

I just want to know whats up. is it arthritis? is it permanent? is it bone cancer? is it some other disease? I dont want to lose my leg.

I think i should get an MRI, but gaf is typically the better community to seek answers.
Does this happen randomly for a few days to a week and go away? Have noticeable swelling around the joint or near it? Generally go away with anti-inflammatory medicine eventually?

If so, probably Pseudogout. I have the same thing. Walking down stairs is very painful when it is fully in swing. They don't really know what causes it or how to prevent it either.

Last edited:

betrayal

Banned
Problems in the knee starting out slow and getting more frequent are usually connected to the meniscus, a patellar tendinopathy or an inflammation.
Just google it and try out some of the exercises for first two things mentioned and see if they help you. If you have an inflammation then rest would help, but i guess it's pretty hard when need your knee, so you probably would need an injection.

Instead of posting on the internet maybe consider to go see a doctor.

Top Bottom