• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dick Cheney gets heart transplant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kosmo

Banned
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57403969-503544/dick-cheney-receives-heart-transplant/

Former Vice President Dick Cheney received a heart transplant on Saturday, his office announced.
A statement from the former vice president's office said the 71 year old is now recovering in the intensive care unit of Inova Fairfax Hospital in Falls Church, Va., outside Washington.

The statement said Cheney had been on the transplant list for 20 months and did not know the identity of the donor.

"Although the former vice president and his family do not know the identity of the donor, they will be forever grateful for this lifesaving gift," the statement read.

Post-op pictures have been released:

1578300_o.gif

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
They gave an alcoholic baseball legend a new liver, so, not surprised.

Imagine losing a loved one and taking solace that others will live with the gift the deceased just gave...then finding out it went to fucking Dick Cheney

Kinyou

Wouldn't that require having a heart in the first place?

Imagine losing a loved one and taking solace that others will live with the gift the deceased just gave...then finding out it went to fucking Dick Cheney
They should make that an option on donor cards

[ ] Give organs to everyone
[X] Give organs to everyone but Dick Chaney

Biff

Alright guys before the thread really kicks off:

We could get angry and frustrated and yell at both everyone and no one about how unfair this is, all the while giving us headaches and rising blood pressure.

OR we could just ignore the story and click on another thread.

God speed.

Kosmo

Banned
He was on the waiting list like everyone else waiting for a transplant....

I don't think people realize that organ transplants are pretty much the one one thing rich people can't jump the front of the line in. Sure, they can have some advantages like Steve Jobs who was able to get on lists in multiple states because he had a private jet to get there, but other than that, it's pretty much get on the list and hope a match comes up.

Bombadil

Banned
I don't think people realize that organ transplants are pretty much the one one thing rich people can't jump the front of the line in. Sure, they can have some advantages like Steve Jobs who was able to get on lists in multiple states because he had a private jet to get there, but other than that, it's pretty much get on the list and hope a match comes up.

If you make a major contribution to a hospital, you can find yourself higher up on the list.

B.K.

I'm kind of surprised they would put someone that old on the transplant waiting list. I guess money and power helps.

Gaborn

Did you feel bad when Osama was killed?

Are you really going to say that Cheney and Osama are comparable? Because that's pretty sad if you're actually that partisan. I have deep and personal policy disagreements with Bush and Cheney's time in office but I don't wish either of them ill health.

Bombadil

Banned
Dick Cheney was a terrible vice president with horrible policies but to compare him to Bin Laden is insane. Bin Laden was a crazy vile mass murderer.

Halliburton has become the object of several controversies involving the 2003 Iraq War and the company's ties to former U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney. Cheney retired from the company during the 2000 U.S. presidential election campaign with a severance package worth $36 million.[40] As of 2004, he had received $398,548 in deferred compensation from Halliburton while Vice President.[41] Cheney was chairman and CEO of Halliburton Company from 1995 to 2000 and has received stock options from Halliburton.[42]
In the run-up to the Iraq war, Halliburton was awarded a $7 billion contract for which 'unusually' only Halliburton was allowed to bid.[43]

He is a war profiteer. It is not the beyond the realm of argument to consider him to be a terrorist in his own right. Just because he wears a suit and tie and enjoys a seat safely away from the media's ceaseless volleys of negative coverage doesn't mean he's incomparable to a ruthless warmonger.

coldfoot

Banned
Are you really going to say that Cheney and Osama are comparable? Because that's pretty sad if you're actually that partisan. I have deep and personal policy disagreements with Bush and Cheney's time in office but I don't wish either of them ill health.
He's responsible for more deaths than Osama, so yes, they are comparable if you ask me.

squidyj

I think if you want to compare Cheney and Osama you gotta do a damn good job with like... facts and stuff. You have to write a well researched paper on the subject, you can't just say it off the cuff.

I think there's room to compare them, but this superficial shit is not the way to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom