• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Maverick kill Goose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BearPawB

Banned
Watching Top Gun, haven't seen it in years.
As a kid Goose's death was a tragic accident.
In the movie the panel finds that Maverick was not at fault for the plane entering the spin. And sure, there was some sort of malfunction that caused Goose to impact the canopy.

Kelly McGinnis says it isn't his fault. She went over the evidence

Yet isn't it Maverick's fault for being on Iceman's ass like that? Surely if there had been a bit of breathing room, he wouldn't have gotten caught in the plane's wake?

I'm sure this is super obvious. But it really bothers me now that Maverick immediately goes back to flying after seemingly doing more foolish actions resulting in one of the best navigators in the navy dying

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
There were direct orders to get him flying again...

Edit: They knew that he was special and didn't want him to be tied to a single copilot. He's great even without Goose. He would have been legendary with Goose.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
All I know is that Macross Plus and Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory were likely heavily inspired by the film, especially the latter.

C4Lukins

I still want to know who they were actually fighting during that film. It was just random engagements with bogies. The film never even attempted to produce a logical conflict.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I still want to know who they were actually fighting during that film. It was just random engagements with bogies. The film never even attempted to produce a logical conflict.

They were Russian or a country controlled by the Russians.

BearPawB

Banned
Yeah but it was never expressed directly. I found that interesting about the film. That plus a school for pilots randomly getting into engagements.

Well during 90% of the movie the. "Bad guys" are the instructors. They are in class. Only the first 15 and last 15 minutes of the movie involve actual combat

Settin

You have it backwards. Maverick had the clear shot and iceman wouldn't pull off to let him take it. Also trying to make logical sense of topgun is pointless.

JDSN

Banned
I'm not at that part with my rewatch. It doesn't explain every character in the movie saying it isn't his fault

Christ, what kind of movie watching experience is this that you interrupt it to make a Gaf thread? I never got this or the live commenting of shows that require your full attention.

What a boring movie, even for a romantic drama. How Goose died was so lame but I really liked the swoosh dogfights with the jets..

BearPawB

Banned
Or, Goose was killed because of a freak accident in which his ejector seat sent him straight into the glass/shield of the cockpit.

That is the literal cause of death, but if Maverick wasn't an egomaniac who had to be the best they would have never gone into the flat spin!

Christ, what kind of movie watching experience is this that you interrupt it to make a Gaf thread? I never got this or the live commenting of shows that require your full attention.

Thinking Top Gun requires full attention was your first mistake.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Always assumed Russians due to the enemies flying Migs

Plenty of other countries bought MiGs from the USSR. I assumed it was some random Middle Eastern country given many of them had MiGs and the location of the carrier.

BearPawB

Banned
Plenty of other countries bought MiGs from the USSR. I assumed it was some random Middle Eastern country given many of them had MiGs and the location of the carrier.

I have gone too deep: "It is also clear that the country in question is not the Soviet Union because the Enterprise‘s Captain notes that the MiGs would be carrying the Exocet Anti-Ship missile. The Exocet is French-designed and was never deployed by the Soviets. "

So yeah, I guess a middle eastern country with Russian fighters

XiaNaphryz

I have gone too deep: "It is also clear that the country in question is not the Soviet Union because the Enterprise‘s Captain notes that the MiGs would be carrying the Exocet Anti-Ship missile. The Exocet is French-designed and was never deployed by the Soviets. "

Well, if you want to go deep that guy wasn't the ship's captain but the CAG in charge of the air wing. Though it should be noted that despite the CAG in the film having a rank of Commander, it's not uncommon for the CAG to have a rank of Captain.

For what it's worth, MiG-28s aren't real things, even disregarding the stand-in F-5s. The fact that they pulled one legitimate reference out of their ass for that whole sequence is actually somewhat surprising.

XiaNaphryz

For what it's worth, MiG-28s aren't real things, even disregarding the stand-in F-5s. The fact that they pulled one legitimate reference out of their ass for that whole sequence is actually somewhat surprising.

Have you seen the behind the scenes documentary on the making fo the film? I'm surprised at how well it turned out given all the issues they had.

BearPawB

Banned

Man, I wish I knew more about aircraft..
Or maybe I don't because it would probably ruin my ability to enjoy this movie.

Are any of the tactics in the film legitimate? (Hit the breaks hard, pull in behind the guy)

Have you seen the behind the scenes documentary on the making fo the film? I'm surprised at how well it turned out given all the issues they had.

I haven't. I trust it's something I should hunt down? I almost cringe to think about how things could be more ridiculous.

I hope it also has insight on oiled up volleyball scenes and the wonderful high-low five.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
You could cut the homoerotic tension in this movie with a knife. So amazing. Maverick definitely wasn't entirely innocent, due to his maverick ways.

XiaNaphryz

I haven't. I trust it's something I should hunt down? I almost cringe to think about how things could be more ridiculous.

I hope it also has insight on oiled up volleyball scenes and the wonderful high-low five.

It's "Danger Zone - The Making of Top Gun" and was on the Collector's Edition DVD. Dunno about other releases as that was the one I have. It's over 2 hours long! Might be online somewhere if it hasn't been taken down, I remember seeing it on Youtube years ago.

And yeah they do talk a bit about the volleyball scene for a few minutes, lol.

There was also some talk from the Navy consultants on how a bunch of Navy bases had tons more women at the officer clubs shortly after the film came out and how a guy from the Coast Guard came in dressed with a bunch of stuff he bought from the uniform shop to look like a pilot and get some girls.

Saganator

I recently saw the Blu-Ray version of Top Gun. You can't tell in the SD versions, but in HD it looks like the entire cast is sweating profusely throughout the movie.

From what I remember didn't Goose say something along the lines "get in there Mav." It wasn't just Maverick who wanted to get in there to take the shot.

Re-watching Top Gun as an adult for the first time a couple years ago was an interesting experience. I finally got what the "on the premises" bet actually meant., especially the exchange between Maverick and Charlie in the ladies bathroom. When I was 5 I only cared about the dog fighting parts.

I recently saw the Blu-Ray version of Top Gun. You can't tell in the SD versions, but in HD it looks like the entire cast is sweating profusely throughout the movie.

You can also clearly see Tom Cruise's unibrow.

It's "Danger Zone - The Making of Top Gun" and was on the Collector's Edition DVD. Dunno about other releases as that was the one I have. It's over 2 hours long! Might be online somewhere if it hasn't been taken down, I remember seeing it on Youtube years ago.

And yeah they do talk a bit about the volleyball scene for a few minutes, lol.

There was also some talk from the Navy consultants on how a bunch of Navy bases had tons more women at the officer clubs shortly after the film came out and how a guy from the Coast Guard came in dressed with a bunch of stuff he bought from the uniform shop to look like a pilot and get some girls.

This sounds...positively wonderful. I should hunt down some form of it for the laughs, at least.

The Coast Guard masquerading as pilots to pick up chicks is hilariously ridiculous. I've got a mental image of all that 80s hair making it all worse, though.

Man, I wish I knew more about aircraft..
Or maybe I don't because it would probably ruin my ability to enjoy this movie.

Oh man, if you think that's funny, you should see the hilarious Iron Eagle movies.

They are awful enough as it is. But the stand ins are even more egregious.

Mirage 5s as stand ins for MiG-23s and Phantom IIs pretending to be MiG-29s are some highlights.

Are any of the tactics in the film legitimate? (Hit the breaks hard, pull in behind the guy)

I honestly could write a dissertation on how the movie portrays these scenes. There's quite a lot of shit in it that's either completely implausible, functionally impossible, or flat out stupid.

There's a lot of rule of cool in the movie, let's just put it at that.

The most legitimate thing I can recall off the top of my head is close formation flying to fudge with radar signatures.

XiaNaphryz

I honestly could write a dissertation on how the movie portrays these scenes. There's quite a lot of shit in it that's either completely implausible, functionally impossible, or flat out stupid.

There's a lot of rule of cool in the movie, let's just put it at that.

The most legitimate thing I can recall off the top of my head is close formation flying to fudge with radar signatures.

Yeah, you'd enjoy the documentary. The Navy guys were saying how things normally go and how the Hollywood guys kept saying it wasn't exciting or interesting enough.

Yeah, you'd enjoy the documentary. The Navy guys were saying how things normally go and how the Hollywood guys kept saying it wasn't exciting or interesting enough.

Sounds like it.

Stuff like this and the far more modern but equally ridiculous examples of military advisors on projects like the Michael Bay Transformers movies makes me wonder just how much these subject matter experts are actually tapped, and if so, just how little of a shit anyone actually gives. (That's a lie. I already know it's zero shits. It has to be.)

The job has got to be punishment for something.

If all of that nonsense about planes was dropped and the beach volleyball scene was stretched out to over three hours I'm pretty sure Top Gun would have sweeped the oscars and be considered the greatest movie of all time.

Alx

I think the plots of Top Gun and Hot Shot will forever be merged in my mind as a single one. Goose got run over by an ambulance, right ? :p
Seriously, all the parts I remember from Top Gun are those that were mocked in Hot Shot.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

It's supposed to be the USSR, without question. It's not stated outright because in the Cold War era it didn't need to be. They're encountering Russian MiGs over the Indian Ocean because of the USSR's incursion into Afghanistan at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom