• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Maverick kill Goose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loki

Count of Concision
Love this movie. It's been playing a lot recently, and I watch it every single time lol.

SilverBulletKY

Neo Member
728478215.gif

Slider

*Sniff*

You stink.

ShutEye

So I always revert to the Tarantino interpretation:

Maverick is stuck in a passionless gay marriage with Goose. He and Iceman (subconsciously?) conspire to off Goose so they can go have a fling without Maverick feeling all guilty for cheating on Goose.

This movie is about being in a boring marriage except all the relevant agents are men.

BearPawB

Banned
So I always revert to the Tarantino interpretation:

Maverick is stuck in a passionless gay marriage with Goose. He and Iceman (subconsciously?) conspire to off Goose so they can go have a fling without Maverick feeling all guilty for cheating on Goose.

This movie is about being in a boring marriage except all the relevant agents are men.

but what about slider!?

Watching Top Gun, haven't seen it in years.
As a kid Goose's death was a tragic accident.
In the movie the panel finds that Maverick was not at fault for the plane entering the spin. And sure, there was some sort of malfunction that caused Goose to impact the canopy.

Kelly McGinnis says it isn't his fault. She went over the evidence

Yet isn't it Maverick's fault for being on Iceman's ass like that? Surely if there had been a bit of breathing room, he wouldn't have gotten caught in the plane's wake?

I'm sure this is super obvious. But it really bothers me now that Maverick immediately goes back to flying after seemingly doing more foolish actions resulting in one of the best navigators in the navy dying

I would hardly call it immediately goes back to flying. The Navy wants him back up right away to keep him fresh after the downtime while waiting for the trial (which i am sure was at least several days) And then when he DOES go back up, he can't get his head straight at which point he ends up quitting for another few days. It isn't till he speaks to Skerrit's character about his father that he even returns to graduate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom