• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Maverick kill Goose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

Although the movie is full of it, Gooses death is based on a fear that the Navy and Grumman had about flat spins, namely that the canopy would stay above the crew when they ejected and cause injuries.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
It's supposed to be the USSR, without question. It's not stated outright because in the Cold War era it didn't need to be. They're encountering Russian MiGs over the Indian Ocean because of the USSR's incursion into Afghanistan at the time.

In the making of documentary, they were initially supposed to be North Korean, but were then made to be generic. At the time, skirmishes with Arab nations was just as big a worry and also at the forefront of people's minds (i.e. Libya), there's also people who think that regardless of whoever the enemy host country could have ended up being the craft still could have been piloted by Soviets as was done in previous wars like Korea and Vietnam.

Of course, given what was depicted in the movie makes the enemy force being Soviets highly unlikey. Any major engagement with the USSR at the time would have like;y involved a lot heavier force attacking (they had a large supersonic bomber fleet for attacking carrier forces with longer range anti-ship missiles - hell, decades before the time of the movie they had anti-ship missles with triple the range of the Exocet), plus any sort of action that occurred would have inevitably led to a heavier response in multiple theaters ultimately resulting in nuclear exchange.

But as it has been repeated throughout the thread, Hollywood doesn't care about that sort of thing.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Man, I wish I knew more about aircraft..
Or maybe I don't because it would probably ruin my ability to enjoy this movie.

Are any of the tactics in the film legitimate? (Hit the breaks hard, pull in behind the guy)

That feels like bollocks too. It's like any movie with a chase/race scene - the secret to going faster is to change down a gear and floor the gas. So basically in movies, everyone starts in the highest gear and works their way down? Its just a basic mechanism that viewers can kind of hook onto and think 'oh, they're doing a thing that means a thing'.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Fair point.
Goose was killed by both of them and their massive egos

mmmm actually maverick was finally sticking with his wingman that day usually he burns out and finds something on his own to kill. Icemans methods were too slow for him , I dont know if they were trying to say Mav was too close or anything close formations arent uncommon.

Stet

Banned
Goose is the worst code name I've ever heard. Even Goose's analog in Hot Shots, Dead Meat, had a better code name than Goose and that was a joke.

Robin64

Or, Goose was killed because of a freak accident in which his ejector seat sent him straight into the glass/shield of the cockpit.

Shouldn't this happen more often if the mechanisim is to launch the canopy upwards and then the pilots follow? Just seems like ejecting is pretty dangeous.

I still want to know who they were actually fighting during that film. It was just random engagements with bogies. The film never even attempted to produce a logical conflict.

And then after the final conflict when Maverick beats a bunch of bogeys and chases the rest away, all of a sudden he's returning to Top Gun to be a teacher/trainer for other pilots...?! Never understood that aspect.

IISANDERII

^Yeah weren't the planes in the film just models? So why didn't they use models of MiGs?
Christ, what kind of movie watching experience is this that you interrupt it to make a Gaf thread?
LOL
You could cut the homoerotic tension in this movie with a knife. So amazing. Maverick definitely wasn't entirely innocent, due to his maverick ways.
Bizarre, I never got that impression at all. People see what they want to see? Projecting?
Not that there's anything wrong with that..
From what I remember didn't Goose say something along the lines "get in there Mav." It wasn't just Maverick who wanted to get in there to take the shot.
Victim blaming ffs

legacyzero

Banned
Nobody? REALLY?

Ok I will....

image.php

Also: #TeamMaverick

XiaNaphryz

Aren't they mock ups in the film instead of Mig's?

^Yeah weren't the planes in the film just models? So why didn't they use models of MiGs?

No, they captured a bunch of random footage when they filmed with the Navy and they ended up cutting and editing together various bits from all of it to end up with the final result. The explosions and whatnot were of course models. The cockpit footage of course was captured on the ground with cockpit rigs and bluescreen.

More people need to watch that Making Of documentary.

So the MiG was like the AK-47 of fighter jets?

The US and other NATO forces sold a bunch of planes to other countries as well. Not sure which plane was the most widely spread, but I don't think there was one prevalent enough to make the AK analogy work.

Have you seen the behind the scenes documentary on the making fo the film? I'm surprised at how well it turned out given all the issues they had.

I think it was that documentary that featured the Navy officer who was assigned to be a liaison to Top Gun in order to ensure it was "accurate". He said some of the other officers were hearing about things like Maverick falling in love with his instructor and Tony Scott moving the classroom desks into the hangar, and they asked him, "What the hell is going on with that movie?" His reply was something like, "Guys, at this point I'm just trying to keep them from turning it into a musical."

And then after the final conflict when Maverick beats a bunch of bogeys and chases the rest away, all of a sudden he's returning to Top Gun to be a teacher/trainer for other pilots...?! Never understood that aspect.

In any given average engagement, surviving when out numbered is incredibly unlikely. Triumphing even less so.

The point in the movie is to showcase that "who gives a fuck about all that, Tom Cruise is so god damn manly he'd get out and punch the airplanes to death if he had to. Look at the size of his volleyball-scale testicles."

And nothing spells success more than passing that on, I suppose.

So the MiG was like the AK-47 of fighter jets?

Not quite analogous. Using a car analogy that pains me to make, it's closer to saying that MiG is actually a make, not a model.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikoyan

Still not analogous. Here's a counter-example.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/news/press-releases/2010/july/LockheedMartinF-16ReadyFo.html

Can't compare to the "F"

Ok, I fuckin' lolled at work.

Mistel

Banned
No, they captured a bunch of random footage when they filmed with the Navy and they ended up cutting and editing together various bits from all of it to end up with the final result. The explosions and whatnot were of course models. The cockpit footage of course was captured on the ground with cockpit rigs and bluescreen.

More people need to watch that Making Of documentary.
I'm sure that there Northrop F5's single and double seaters used as the Mig's as weren't they referred to as Mig 28's in the film. Not that I've seen it in ages.

A counter example to what? That the Mig 21 was sold all over the world and in dozens of variants?

That the MiG-21 is the "AK-47" of aircraft.

My point is simply that manufacturing of these platforms (and then subsequently selling them to a huge list of other countries with a large number of variants) isn't unique to the Fishbed, supersonic jets, or Russian aircraft in general.

Dead Man

That the MiG-21 is the "AK-47" of aircraft.

My point is simply that manufacturing of these platforms (and then subsequently selling them to a huge list of other countries with a large number of variants) isn't unique to the Fishbed, supersonic jets, or Russian aircraft in general.

Of course it isn't. I don't think anyone claimed it is, I certainly didn't. That is utterly besides the point of the comparison. The AK47 isn't unique either, the M16 family and FAL family are similar in many ways. The question was about a model of plane that was like the ak47 in that it was sold all over the world, a Soviet or Russian one in particular. The Mig 21 fills those criteria. The AK47 is much like the Fishbed. Manufactured by a company in one form then updated over many years into other models that are visually very similar and sold all over the world.

You could make the same comparison with the F16 if you want, except it isn't Russian.

I still don't know what a random marketing press release from 2010 is proving.

Dawg

TAKE MY BREATH AWAAAAAAAYYY

DUN DUN DUN DUN DUUUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN NNNN DUN

TAKE MY BREATH AWAAAAAAAYYY

Of course it isn't. I don't think anyone claimed it is, I certainly didn't. That is utterly besides the point of the comparison. The AK47 isn't unique either, the M16 family and FAL family are similar in many ways. The question was about a model of plane that was like the ak47 in that it was sold all over the world, a Soviet or Russian one in particular. The Mig 21 fills those criteria. The AK47 is much like the Fishbed. Manufactured by a company in one form then updated over many years into other models that are visually very similar and sold all over the world.

You could make the same comparison with the F16 if you want, except it isn't Russian.

I still don't know what a random marketing press release from 2010 is proving.

In the quote chain above, someone asked that question. About "The AK of fighter jets".

I merely was responding down the block of quotes to this and the original assertion. The AK is, far and away, the most popular family of assault rifles in the world. To the point where there are arguably more of those and their family in production than all other AR platforms combined.

I was simply trying to say that this scale of one sided popularity doesn't exist in this space.

It looked like, originally, you were refuting Xia's comment. If that context was misunderstood, then there was a misunderstanding somewhere.

My link was a showcase for the fact that the same example could be made of the F-16. (Or, if one dug further, several other platforms.) That's it.

That's all I was trying to say.

Edit: To elaborate, the point was just to prove that there's no direct analog to the rifle here. Not that the Fishbed wasn't insanely popular or as widely produced as it was.

Dead Man

In the quote chain above, someone asked that question. About "The AK of fighter jets".

I merely was responding down the block of quotes to this and the original assertion. The AK is, far and away, the most popular family of assault rifles in the world. To the point where there are arguably more of those and their family in production than all other AR platforms combined.

I was simply trying to say that this scale of one sided popularity doesn't exist in this space.

If looked like, originally, you were refuting Xia's comment. If that context was misunderstood, then there was a misunderstanding somewhere.

My link was a showcase for the fact that the same example could be made of the F-16. (Or, if one dug further, several other platforms.) That's it.

That's all I was trying to say.

Edit: To elaborate, the point was just to prove that there's no direct analog to the rifle here. Not that the Fishbed wasn't insanely popular or as widely produced as it was.

I wasn't refuting his point, I was providing an example in answer to his statement of uncertainty.
Here is the quote:
The US and other NATO forces sold a bunch of planes to other countries as well. Not sure which plane was the most widely spread, but I don't think there was one prevalent enough to make the AK analogy work.

Prevalent means widespread. The Mig 21 was widespread, and has the highest production numbers of any supersonic aircraft. If you want the most common combat jet, that is another Mig product, the Mig15.

So all the post really was was a statement that the Mig21 was insanely popular and sold all over the world, just like the AK series of rifles. And any number of other things, but we were discussing Mig aircraft in particular.

XiaNaphryz

I'm sure that there Northrop F5's single and double seaters used as the Mig's as weren't they referred to as Mig 28's in the film. Not that I've seen it in ages.

Yep, I was just replying to the statement that the planes used in the film were models. A lot of the aerial footage was captured using real planes.

Shouldn't this happen more often if the mechanisim is to launch the canopy upwards and then the pilots follow? Just seems like ejecting is pretty dangeous.

Not if the plane is moving forward while the pilot ejects. Like lifting the top of a convertible at high speed, the wind will rip it open and pull it back. The problem here was the dead spin didn't let that happen.

I wasn't refuting his point, I was providing an example in answer to his statement of uncertainty.
Here is the quote:

Prevalent means widespread. The Mig 21 was widespread, and has the highest production numbers of any supersonic aircraft. If you want the most common combat jet, that is another Mig product, the Mig15.

So all the post really was was a statement that the Mig21 was insanely popular and sold all over the world, just like the AK series of rifles. And any number of other things, but we were discussing Mig aircraft in particular.

I am well aware of what the word prevalent means, thanks.

I was giving context of scale. That's it.

I haven't said anything about it's production numbers, because I'm not trying to deny, obfuscate, or otherwise redirect on that. I'm not sure how much clearer I can be, here.

XiaNaphryz

I think it was that documentary that featured the Navy officer who was assigned to be a liaison to Top Gun in order to ensure it was "accurate". He said some of the other officers were hearing about things like Maverick falling in love with his instructor and Ridley Scott moving the classroom desks into the hangar, and they asked him, "What the hell is going on with that movie?" His reply was something like, "Guys, at this point I'm just trying to keep them from turning it into a musical."

Yep, that's the one.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I think it was that documentary that featured the Navy officer who was assigned to be a liaison to Top Gun in order to ensure it was "accurate". He said some of the other officers were hearing about things like Maverick falling in love with his instructor and Ridley Scott moving the classroom desks into the hangar, and they asked him, "What the hell is going on with that movie?" His reply was something like, "Guys, at this point I'm just trying to keep them from turning it into a musical."
Tony Scott

Phoenix

Wake turbulence (i.e. jet wash) incidents are actually very rare and don't just "happen" because one plane is following too close to another. So the panel may have concluded that even given the aggressive nature of Mavericks actions (which would be expected from a combat pilot), under normal circumstances it shouldn't have been an issue and was thus unforeseeable by the pilot.

BearPawB

Banned
Wake turbulence (i.e. jet wash) incidents are actually very rare and don't just "happen" because one plane is following too close to another. So the panel may have concluded that even given the aggressive nature of Mavericks actions (which would be expected from a combat pilot), under normal circumstances it shouldn't have been an issue and was thus unforeseeable by the pilot.

it is funny then that getting in the jet wash happens twice in the movie to Maverick

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
In undergrad I wrote a 25+ page term paper on Top Gun and capitalist brainwashing in the media. I wrote it as a complete lark but my professor LOVED it. I'm still giggly about it because it's such a stupid topic and I managed to write a paper that large about it.

Basically, Maverick didn't kill Goose, capitalist brainwashing making Goose think his nation was always under threat put him in that cockpit. I mean, he said it himself... that trucking school was hiring.

Goose cashed the check that Maverick's ego wrote.

As an aside, I went to see Top Gun last year when it was released in IMAX 3D. Simply some of the best 3D I've seen, you felt like you were inside the cockpit in the aerial battles. And it made the volleyball/lockeroom scenes even more surreal. On the whole a simultaneously amazing and ridiculous experience.

Phoenix

it is funny then that getting in the jet wash happens twice in the movie to Maverick

Indeed. Hell the way they portrayed it, your best course of action when pursued by other aircraft is to just move erratically so they get caught in the wake and crash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom