• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Microsoft Design Xbox Series X To Be A True Next Gen System?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuncol02

Banned
Microsoft has already confirmed that all 1st party titles will be cross gen (i.e. run on Xbox one and Series X) for at least the first 2 years of the Series X (LINK).
Do you even read what you write? That link says something different from what you have written. ONE YEAR, MAYBE TWO since FUCKING January 2020. Thats only first year of Series X.

All new Xbox One game will be forward compatible with Series X while Series X will be backwards compatible with all Xbox One Titles (including those backwards compatible X360 and OG Xbox)
NO. Series X will be backward compatible with XOne. That's all. There is no forward compatibility of games. (What that even mean? You can have forward compatible hardware like PC, but forward compatible software makes no sense) Some games will just be crossgen like with every new generation.

The controller design looks very close to the existing Xbox One controllers and is designed to work on previous Xbox One consoles (LINK)
Why would they need to change best controller on market? And about compatibility. DualShock4 is compatible with PS3. Does that means, that PS4 wasn't true next gen system?

Early official UI screens of the Series X show that it is virtually unchanged from the current Xbox One (if it is updated it will likely be on the software side where the update will apply to older Xbox One consoles as well)
That's good thing. XBox interface is miles ahead of PS4 one. Especially how fast it is.

You really should read how XBox One since day one was designed with backward compatybility of future consoles in mind. Whole system is literally running on virtual machine.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Well yeah obviously they did...
Some of its policies might held it back a bit for the first year but that's it and a simple decision about their first party doesn't chanfe the hardware that seems very good.

My only problem is the lack of an optical out but that's only because my amplifier is ancient.

Gravemind

It backfired? Without Microsoft Titanfall wouldn't exist...along with Apex Legends.

tenor.gif

Dont even bother responding to those fanboys and their bait. Every console thread is the same. Best to just sit back and laugh at the retarded shit that's posted. That guy in particular provides some good laughs, so why dissuade him with actual logic and reason?

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Dont even bother with responding to these fanboys and their bait. Every console thread is the same. Best to just sit back and laugh and the retarded shit that's posted. This guy in particular provides some good laughs, do why dissuade him with actual logic and reason?

I enjoy watching them never reply with anything when they get blasted with facts.

As an unabashed Sony fan first and foremost; yes, MS designed a fabulous next gen console.

As an unabashed Xbox fan first and foremost; yes, Sony designed a fabulous next gen console.

Honestly there is some interesting tech in there, their first party games are gonna look the part alright. I'll be going with my PC and XSX initially but Sony have me interested in a PS5 as well down the track.

Gamerguy84

Its an RDNA 2 arch and if we compared it to GCN TF it would have well over 15 TF. It has some custimization , it has a gaming OS.

It is indeed a next gen beast of a console.

-Arcadia-

Banned
You really should read how XBox One since day one was designed with backward compatybility of future consoles in mind. Whole system is literally running on virtual machine.

Where can I read up on that? That sounds fascinating and really forward looking.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Is this a concern trolling thread? The Xbox is the most next gen oriented machine you will be getting: BC right of the bat, high framerate support - m+k support, best ecosystem and more. And I say this as a PC only gamer. The Series X will have the largest catalog in a console by far : OG Xbox, 360 Xbox One, Series X games. Xbox gamers will be able to do what we PC gamers do when we upgrade our machines, see how far we can push all those old games with new HW. That's great for a console.

Of course a semi decent PC is still better than any console because you can do whatever you want but FOR A CONSOLE it's seems it's going to be an impressive piece of tech. I can only see Sony one upping them by releasing a new PSVR headset with BC with the prior generation VR games.

Tqaulity

Phew, got to love the internet :). I think all this hate and disregard for my post due to implied fanboyism and console warring is...funny for at least 2 reasons:

1. I NEVER said that Xbox Series X wasn't next gen. My title asked the question and I admit it may come across as off putting. It probably should read: Did Microsoft Design Xbox Series X To Be A Traditional Next Gen System? So I'll own up to that mistake in terms of leading you guys to one train of thought
  2. The mere suggestion or question of whether or not Xbox Series X is next gen is not coming from me but from Microsoft directly! They have continually said that they want to do away with "console generations" and we are seeing that in action with the Series X so far. My post just highlighted that the model they are taking to do away with generations is the same as the PC model. You guys are just talking about hardware specs and I'm not questioning that at all. This is more of a discussion on business philosophy and product priorities, NOT hardware specs. The XBSX hardware specs are incredible and it is no doubt a beast! Look at my history and you'll see that I've consistently said that.
Look, I can have a 1 PetaFlop machine (1 000 TFLOPs) that is super capable from a hardware standpoint. Does that automatically mean that it will deliver a next gen gaming experience? Not if it is only intended to run Wii games for example? Sure those games would run at 8K and 300 fps....but they are still the same Wii games in their core design and content (this is just an extreme example to illustrate my point. Do not take literally!). The point is there is more to delivering a next gen gaming experience than pure hardware specs. It's the actual games we play that realize the next gen experience, not the hardware. Nobody here is questioning that the Xbox Series X is a serious powerful machine. Did you hear me this time? Are you sure...?

People are talking about how the Series X can last 8 years given it's hardware and I completely agree with that...I'm just not sure Microsoft is of that same train of thought this gen. Can we see an Xbox Series X (prime) in 3 years with double the RAM and 20+ TFLOPs for example? Based on the PC model of hardware iteration and evolution, absolutely! It doesn't matter if the current hardware can still produce awesome cutting edge games. You can easily release new updated hardware at a more regular cadence because (like with the PC), everything is completely compatible so you never have to break from your existing user base. In other words, it's not "how many Xbox 360 users there are" vs "how many Xbox One users". It's simply "how many Xbox users there are across all versions of the hardware". It's all integrated. Whether they are playing on Xbox One S, One X, Series X, Series S, Series Y, Series X (prime) or whatever it doesn't matter because it's all one unified ecosystem where everything is compatible. Just like it doesn't matter on PC if you playing on an Intel Core i7 5700 or an AMD Ryzen 1700 or a Radeon 290 or an Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti. All vastly different hardware but the platform for gaming is the same and everything is cross compatible. This is what Microsoft (not me) has consistently been saying.

That was the point of the discussion...to discuss the pros and cons of that and to hear your impressions of how that may work for Xbox. But as is typical it degenerated into a bunch of talk about console wars and the Xbox defense team that clearly didn't want to read or understand what I was saying. So be it :messenger_smirking:

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Phew, got to love the internet :). I think all this hate and disregard for my post due to implied fanboyism and console warring is...funny for at least 2 reasons:

1. I NEVER said that Xbox Series X wasn't next gen. My title asked the question and I admit it may come across as off putting. It probably should read: Did Microsoft Design Xbox Series X To Be A Traditional Next Gen System? So I'll own up to that mistake in terms of leading you guys to one train of thought
  2. The mere suggestion or question of whether or not Xbox Series X is next gen is not coming from me but from Microsoft directly! They have continually said that they want to do away with "console generations" and we are seeing that in action with the Series X so far. My post just highlighted that the model they are taking to do away with generations is the same as the PC model. You guys are just talking about hardware specs and I'm not questioning that at all. This is more of a discussion on business philosophy and product priorities, NOT hardware specs. The XBSX hardware specs are incredible and it is no doubt a beast! Look at my history and you'll see that I've consistently said that.
Look, I can have a 1 PetaFlop machine (1 000 TFLOPs) that is super capable from a hardware standpoint. Does that automatically mean that it will deliver a next gen gaming experience? Not if it is only intended to run Wii games for example? Sure those games would run at 8K and 300 fps....but they are still the same Wii games in their core design and content (this is just an extreme example to illustrate my point. Do not take literally!). The point is there is more to delivering a next gen gaming experience than pure hardware specs. Nobody here is questioning that the Xbox Series X is a serious powerful machine. Did you hear me this time? Are you sure...?

People are talking about how the Series X can last 8 years given it's hardware and I completely agree with that...I'm just not sure Microsoft is of that same train of thought this gen. Can we see an Xbox Series X (prime) in 3 years with double the RAM and 20+ TFLOPs for example? Based on the PC model of hardware iteration and evolution, absolutely! It doesn't matter if the current hardware can still produce awesome cutting edge games. You can easily release new updated hardware at a more regular cadence because (like with the PC), everything is completely compatible so you never have to break from your existing user base. In other words, it's not "how many Xbox 360 users there are" vs "how many Xbox One users". It's simply "how many Xbox users there are across all versions of the hardware". It's all integrated. Whether they are playing on Xbox One S, One X, Series X, Series S, Series Y, Series X (prime) or whatever it doesn't matter because it's all one unified ecosystem where everything is compatible. Just like it doesn't matter on PC if you playing on an Intel Core i7 5700 or an AMD Ryzen 1700 or a Radeon 290 or an Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti. All vastly different hardware but the platform for gaming is the same and everything is cross compatible. This is what Microsoft (not me) has consistently been saying.

That was the point of the discussion...to discuss the pros and cons of that and to hear your impressions of how that may work for Xbox. But as is typical it degenerated into a bunch of talk about console wars and the Xbox defense team that clearly didn't want to read or understand what I was saying. So be it :messenger_smirking:

Sounds like you asked a bad question and got bad answers.

This is what these forums should be used for, to let out these cool concepts/ideas for people to discuss. I appreciate your line of thinking.

Last edited:
6 months ago no one believed a console would even get a 12TF GPU, and if it would, that console would be an absolute beast. Now that Sony removed bottlenecks and created a fast SSD that only benefits their own first party, all of this doesn't matter anymore? Microsoft made an extremely balanced console that will play 3rd party games the best, so yeah they designed a true next-gen system.
Amen!

ACESHIGH

Banned

1 - The question you are asking reads as if the Xbox wasn't capable enough to be a next gen system. The machine will have partial BC because it has a similar architecture to the Xbox one and MS made a massive effort in creating a 360 emulator to enable a BC solution on the xbox one. It's the right thing to do and I applaud them for doing it. I would love them to give us PC gamers the option to buy those 360 emulated games on their MS store, but that's a lot more complex according to Phil Spencer. Japanese console vendors are several steps behind on that regard and it's a shame.

2 - The Series X will run more complex games that couldn't be run NATIVELY on an Xbox one or a Series X. That's a next gen machine to me. Maybe with xcloud you could run Gears 6 from your phone, your Xbox One and your series x. Phil Spencer said they were looking forward to that, but it's just another alternative. They want the xbox ecosystem to be everywhere.

Last edited:
As an unabashed Xbox fan first and foremost; yes, Sony designed a fabulous next gen console.

Honestly there is some interesting tech in there, their first party games are gonna look the part alright. I'll be going with my PC and XSX initially but Sony have me interested in a PS5 as well down the track.
Everything with both consoles looks good on paper and every generation one company or another (mostly one company) lies about the capabilities of their machine. The proof will be in the pudding.

Well... Of course it's next gen. It's more powerful and faster than it's predecessors.

Edit: I wish there was a thumbs down, or a I think "You're dumb" instant response. I'd honestly use the thumbs down or the you're dumb response so much more than that thumbs up or the laughing response 😄

Last edited:

farmerboy

Yeah, same for me. MS has my attention. Not just the machine, but the overarching ecosystem (ie gamepass) have me interested. And if the systems are different enough, then owning both becomes more enticing.

Everything with both consoles looks good on paper and every generation one company or another (mostly one company) lies about the capabilities of their machine. The proof will be in the pudding.

My guesses are something like this -
  • A couple of Sony first party games continue to hold the graphics crown, I feel it's more to do with art/tech staff than hardware power, one or two titles innovative with SSD
  • Xbox to be the pinnacle of third party games, holding the crown compared to most of last gen until the X1X arrived
  • Xbox Game Pass and PC cross play to really be a standout next gen
  • xCloud and play anywhere to be progressive but not the forefront of gaming for years/generations to come
  • Sony PSVR to have a handful of very well executed titles and a new hardware release within the next 12-18 months post PS5 launch
  • Titles announced by both Sony and Xbox to be 1-2 years away from launch still, as always
  • Sony processing "peak" will actually be considerably less than their marketing says prior to launch and XSX will shine here e.g. resolution and native 4K
  • Xbox VR push within the next 2 years
  • Sony will increase their backwards compatibility but not be on par with Xbox in this regard

longdi

Banned

Look, I can have a 1 PetaFlop machine (1 000 TFLOPs) that is super capable from a hardware standpoint. Does that automatically mean that it will deliver a next gen gaming experience? Not if it is only intended to run Wii games for example? Sure those games would run at 8K and 300 fps....but they are still the same Wii games in their core design and content (this is just an extreme example to illustrate my point. Do not take literally!). The point is there is more to delivering a next gen gaming experience than pure hardware specs. It's the actual games we play that realize the next gen experience, not the hardware. Nobody here is questioning that the Xbox Series X is a serious powerful machine. Did you hear me this time? Are you sure...?

So your concern is MS crossgen their first party games for the first 2 years.

mmkay, let see PS4 first party lineup. Yes making games is like 30mins domino pizza. 🤷‍♀️
(psst love the 2 remastered titles)

Self

I read the whole op & didn't find anything troubling.
Nor do I. There is certainly a different perspective/philosophy involved.

Xbox is likely more concerned about their 'family', including older generations and PC, while Sony is pretty much a one way ticket at his point.

Both approaches are legit.

Xenon

But, I would claim that the Xbox Series X (from what we know now) is as "next gen" as the Xbox One X was to the Xbox One or even as "next gen" as a PC upgrade is for a typically consumer (at least until the Series X exclusives come).

I guess when you consider what Sony did with the PS4 Pro the X Box One X would seem like a generational leap, but no man. The series X has a huge number of improvements, being designed around faster access to storage media, Dedicated audio chip, hardware ray tracing, cutting edge CPU, and Instant resume

sinnergy

You are here for 13 years and didn't realize that the color of the community is bluer than the ocean and the sky combined?
I like to see the best in people and try to life myself as a open minded person, with as less brand loyalty as possible , but supporting people brands that put effort into something.

so yeah apparently.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
When somebody starts off with "true next gen system" you know exactly where things are heading. (downhill).

Did they convene an international commission at some point to determine the criteria to qualify for the vaunted title of true next gen system? Without some sort of universally accepted guidelines you're talking a purely subjective appraisal.

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
I like to see the best in people and try to life myself as a open minded person, with as less brand loyalty as possible , but supporting people brands that put effort into something.

so yeah apparently.
The ban reasons for people here are also very interesting and for what i have seen there the color changes. But i agree. I buy products that convince me, i don't marry brands. I think most marketing departments would absolultely hate me. My last 5 or 6 smartphones all were different brands, same goes for nearly all products that i buy.

Xbox also has the better cpu and memory bandwidth.
XSX better system overall but it depends on devs how they utilize it.

Sony Studios very good utilizing PS hardware which gives them huge edge in graphics compared to competition. Hopefully MS studios outside of Coliation, PG,T10 will do same.

Hope 343 will do same

mercclass

As the saying goes the first to call the other person a name loses the argument.

All of this will be moot once we get to see what we can play on the systems #games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom