• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did people forget Death Stranding was already coming to PC this year?

Just saying I don't think people should be surprised about any PlayStation exclusive coming to PC considering Death Stranding is coming to Steam later this year.

Furthermore, any game being ported to a different platform doesn't change how you experience that game, so if you were planning to play Godfall, for example, on the PS5 you can still do that. All this really means is that more people get to play it and and as a result the fanbase gets even bigger which breeds more discussion and there's nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
No they did not ..

just look how many threads in there and all talking about the same subject but no mention for DS

Just saying I don't think people should be surprised about any PlayStation exclusive coming to PC considering Death Stranding is coming to Steam later this year.

Furthermore, any game being ported to a different platform doesn't change how you experience that game, so if you were planning to play Godfall, for example, on the PS5 you can still do that. All this really means is that more people get to play it and and as a result the fanbase gets even bigger which breeds more discussion and there's nothing wrong with that.

I'd say a Kojima game getting ported is far less surprising than something from Guerilla Games.

M0G

By my count this is the fifth Kojima helmed game to come to PC. I could be wrong on that number but it means it's not really that big a deal.

Quezacolt

No one should be surprised because we already knew from the start that the game would come out for pc, same with godfall. None of those games were promised to be PS4/5 exclusives.
Besides, kojima always released for another platforms when he could.

TimFL

It's going to be a select few games. Games that sell the PS5 are going to remain exclusive, games that are older and are good sellers will likely get a PC port.
This. The most probable reason why HZD hits PC is the fact that Kojima wanted his game to be on PC too and the work that went into the Decima engine to support PC, can also be used to port HZD to PC... a game that isn‘t really a system seller and probably has no sales going on anymore (other than the occasional discount sale). It‘s a low hanging fruit for them to pick up.

I wouldn‘t expect actual flagship franchises to hit PC though (TLOU, Uncharted, GoW, Spider-Man etc cause they move consoles).

Aidah

For Death Stranding Sony had to agree to it, a condition by the dev studio, and won't be published by Sony on PC, plus known from the beginning. Horizon and Dreams, Sony wants to do it, surely publish it, test a new direction. See the difference?

A Bloodborne with reshade, 60+ frames, no frame-lags, 4k, no chromatic aberration on Steam would be a very welcomed addition. I would definitely replay it because I want to but going back to that 30 frames garbage on PS4 after playing Sekiro and all the other Souls games on PC is not a good idea.

Sign

I'd say a Kojima game getting ported is far less surprising than something from Guerilla Games.
Not really since Guerilla Games is responsible for the engine of both. My guess is, is that since GG had to get DS working on PC they decided to do Horizon as well. It pays for any time making the DS port work and lets GG reimplement some of the new features from DS back into Horizon as a test for H2.

People thinking Sony is going to dump their entire catalogue on PC, especially when a potential selling point of PS5 is those games running better through BC, are probably going to be disappointed.

Last edited:

Aidah

A Bloodborne with reshade, 60+ frames, no frame-lags, 4k, no chromatic aberration on Steam would be a very welcomed addition. I would definitely replay it because I want to but going back to that 30 frames garbage on PS4 after playing Sekiro and all the other Souls games on PC is not a good idea.
Bloodborne on PC. Now that would have been exciting news.

meirl

Banned
It's going to be a select few games. Games that sell the PS5 are going to remain exclusive, games that are older and are good sellers will likely get a PC port.
Lol no

Drama is coming too. And don’t with the crap „it makes sense for that particular game and other games will follow“. You are delusional if you think that.
It’s just that Sony wants to sell more software and one way of doing that is releasing their games in PC.

The Shepard

Exactly what I've been thinking every time a thread has popped up. Anything else doesn't make sense business wise for Sony.

Kacho

The difference is that Death Stranding coming to PC was announced early where as HZD came totally out of left field.

Im curious to see if the meltdowns continue as more high profile games are announced for PC. It will be an interesting year.

Last edited:
I like how people are already starting to blame PC port as the reason the game didn't sold well.
It hasn't sold well on ps4 and it will likely not sell well on the pc. And it has nothing to do with the platform.
The game is a fed ex simulator. I want to have fun when I'm playing the game. If I wanted to deliver packages, I'd get a job as a mailman.

Fbh

Death Stranding was announced as coming to PC before we even knew it was called Death Stranding. People just forgot and Sony obviously never went out of their way to remind them.

The significance of the Horizon rumor is that it's the first game not just published but actually developed by Sony that would make it to PC.
Death Stranding -> Kojima Productions (Third party dev)
Detroit/Heavy Rain/Beyond - > Quantic Dream (third party dev)
Journey -> That game company (third party dev).
Horizon -> Guerilla Games (OWNED by Sony)

I like how people are already starting to blame PC port as the reason the game didn't sold well.
It hasn't sold well on ps4 and it will likely not sell well on the pc. And it has nothing to do with the platform.
The game is a fed ex simulator. I want to have fun when I'm playing the game. If I wanted to deliver packages, I'd get a job as a mailman.
I played it, put like 78 hours into it and I can see why many people would not buy it. I loved it but it's either you love it or you hate it, there's like no in between with a game like this, if the gameplay loop doesn't appeal to you the entire game is moot.

Vawn

Banned
Death Stranding is not a Sony first-party game. It was always planned to be a one-year PS4 exclusive before going to PC. Same with SquareEnix's Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Gargus

Banned
I didnt, I just dont care. I own a playstation so I already played and beat death stranding on it. A pc version doesn't interest me. I'd rather play the cross platform pc and playstation games on my playstation.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
No chance. They're all coming. Whether you like it or not, too much revenue is lost gate keeping games to one system. There's a reason why every year the Top 10 is all multi-plats. Microsoft was the first to realize it when they were floundering, and considering Sony as a company is over reliant on Playstation revenue to keep the company afloat, shareholders are going to demand it sooner rather than later. It's a big part of why PSNow is on PC and you don't require a console to use it. Testing the waters and obviously it's proved lucrative.

MiguelItUp

Not at all, I feel like I see it mentioned multiple times on Twitter every day. I plan on double dipping to be quite honest as I loved the game.

I wish it were more successful for a number of reasons, but as I've mentioned before, Kojima knew the response would be divisive. Much like others have said, you either love it or don't, there's little to no in between.

I know it may sound ridiculous to say that, maybe even like it's an excuse. But it's so far from that, haha.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
No chance. They're all coming. Whether you like it or not, too much revenue is lost gate keeping games to one system. There's a reason why every year the Top 10 is all multi-plats. Microsoft was the first to realize it when they were floundering, and considering Sony as a company is over reliant on Playstation revenue to keep the company afloat, shareholders are going to demand it sooner rather than later. It's a big part of why PSNow is on PC and you don't require a console to use it. Testing the waters and obviously it's proved lucrative.

You can't sell consoles without exclusives. Ask Microsoft. Sony know you need them, hence the best selling console. Whether you like it or not.

Sign

The revenue gained from putting first party on other systems is a drop in the bucket compared to the lost sales of hardware and everything that comes with it. Those top 10 multiplat sold the most on PlayStation most likely. Sony got a cut of everyone of those games, their expansions, microtransactions, and of course PlayStation plus sales needed for multiplayer. The lost revenue is not even comparable. People trying to append Microsoft's desperation on Sony is going to leave a lot of individuals disappointed.

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
You can't sell consoles without exclusives. Ask Microsoft. Sony know you need them, hence the best selling console. Whether you like it or not.
Yo GG, some people seem to think Dreams is definitely coming to PC. Has that been confirmed/mentioned? How confident are you of Dreams coming to PC?

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
I find it kind of strange so many people see Death Stranding a product of an independent 3rd party studio and its decision to come to PC something made by Kojima Productions that Sony just had to deal with.
The development of Death Stranding was payed for by Sony. That's millions of dollars worth of investment, in years of work of dev teams established to support the project in multiple SIE studios (Guerilla, Bent, Insomniac...), working on Sony owned game engine and probably most of marketing campaign costs. It needs to be in-line with SIE long term business plans and Horizon releasing on PC only confirms that.

Last edited:

Fbh

I find it kind of strange so many people see Death Stranding a product of an independent 3rd party studio and its decision to come to PC something made by Kojima Productions that Sony just had to deal with.
The development of Death Stranding was payed for by Sony. That's millions of dollars worth of investment, in years of work of dev teams established to support the project in multiple SIE studios (Guerilla, Bent, Insomniac...), working on Sony owned game engine and probably most of marketing campaign costs. It needs to be in-line with SIE long term business plans and Horizon releasing on PC only confirms that.

I think Kojima just has that sort of pull. He is one of the best known names in the industry, someone that even more casual fans know about and someone who has been heavily linked to the Playstation brand. I can totally see that he might just have wanted to release the game on PC and Sony decided to agree to it rather than having him potentially end up with Microsoft (who were on a spending spree and would probably have loved to get the next Kojima game as an exclusive). Similarly to how they are willing to release MLB on Xbox rather than loose the license.

Also, as far as I know the Decima engine was decided upon way after they had signed the deal (the first trailer was actually using another engine), and if Sony's plan from the beginning was to extend the revenue from the game by releasing on PC why aren't they publishing it?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Considering how fast PS4 DS sales dropped (couldn't crack top 20 in month 2), the PC version will come quicker.

The PC releases with vague dates will depend how well the console version sells.

manfestival

People need to understand the difference between a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd party game. That would explain so much more the significance of a 1st party game from Sony being ported over to PC vs a 2nd party title.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I got a PS4 Pro so I could play it early. and you know what I loved the game so much I’ll probably double dip when it comes to PC as well

sendit

Who cares? There are so many games coming out this year. You’re living in the past waiting for a game that was released in the last decade.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Have you actually played the game? I admit it's not the easiest to get into as there's a large barrier to entry with how slow paced it is at the start. As it goes it gets better and better and by the time I was done it had become one of my favorite games ever

Mato

I haven't forgotten, I just don't care anymore. I just don't have the required patience for it, I can tell by the gameplay videos. I'm gonna be fidgeting, restlessly tapping the buttons, wishing that things would just "move along".

Edit - I think I might have misunderstood the point of this thread. Oh well.

Last edited:
No one should be surprised because we already knew from the start that the game would come out for pc, same with godfall. None of those games were promised to be PS4/5 exclusives.
That's what I'm getting at though, we knew Death Stranding was coming to PC and people still bought it to play on the PS4. This wouldn't change with other PlayStation exclusives being ported to PC at a later date.

Top Bottom