• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Sony Remove Quick Install in FW6.00?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It may be just me but installs are taking forever now, I first notice it in the beta where it copied 1.00 game data and it notified you when it was completed.
Then Spider Man took hour to install, an hour! Shadow of the Tomb Raider was 40min
Now I just restalled Tekken 7 a game I know is instantly playable and the update finished but the PS4 is still copying data?
Wtf going on?
I'm also noticing texture loading taking longer, UI lagging and capture gallery struggles to load.
And yes I rebuilt data and I have a brand new 4TbWD harddrive.
So has Sony done something?

hivsteak

Tekken 7 could have removed quick install or the update had to be applied after the whole game installs.

Spiderman and Tomb Raider definitely do not use quick install. Only game I know of that allows quick install is Killzone: Shadow Fall.

Everything you descibe sounds like a problem with your hard drive. Or worse your PS4.

I think that quick istall has to be implemented by game developers, maybe Insomiac didn't (as an open world game i can understand why).
I don't know about other new games

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
It may be just me but installs are taking forever now, I first notice it in the beta where it copied 1.00 game data and it notified you when it was completed.
Then Spider Man took hour to install, an hour! Shadow of the Tomb Raider was 40min
Now I just restalled Tekken 7 a game I know is instantly playable and the update finished but the PS4 is still copying data?
Wtf going on?
I'm also noticing texture loading taking longer, UI lagging and capture gallery struggles to load.
And yes I rebuilt data and I have a brand new 4TbWD harddrive.
So has Sony done something?

My theory is because Spider-Man is a Sandbox and actually need the install time because the mostly part of the game is the city (Mostly GBS of the game) and not only one level, like tekken 7, i dont know if Tomb Raider is another Sandbox.

But yes about capture gallery, i think is take the time to load because the mount of the games that are installed, i have 6 TB of Hard disk in total, and i note that thing.

Last edited:

FranXico

Patches have been reworked, yes. The whole "copying data" thing is fairly recent. Not 6.00, but recent.

I downloaded Destiny 2 and could launch the game long before finishing downloading it though.
I don't think quick install is gone, just some games opt out of it.

Could this actually be related to the new filesystem encryption?

WaterAstro

Quick install or whatever is by game basis, not related to a firmware. It's up to the devs if they want to use it, and it takes a bit of effort to make it work.

Not many games will do it like how it worked in Yakuza Kiwami 2
LIZwOI2.jpg

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I don't know I've had a PS4 for a long time and at most I get the game is installing screen when starting a game with certain parts unavailable
But mostly they're available to play within seconds and it installs in the background.
I was only hit with this and the notification that tells you it copied to the hdd when I installed the 6.00 beta.

Rellik

Patches have been reworked, yes. The whole "copying data" thing is fairly recent. Not 6.00, but recent.

I downloaded Destiny 2 and could launch the game long before finishing downloading it though.
I don't think quick install is gone, just some games opt out of it.

Could this actually be related to the new filesystem encryption?

It's a terrible rework as well. Patches used to apply almost instantly yet the other day I had to sit there for way too long to apply a patch for GT Sport because of that "Copying 3%" thing it now does. It took forever.

Then they changed the whole file system in this update and it got cracked by the PS4 Save Wizard guys within a week. So I'm not sure what the benefits are.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
The dev has to build the game with quick install in mind. Using GOW as an example, the first 30+ minutes of that game are self contained and more linear with many lengthy cutscenes. This is done to allow for background installation of the rest of the game. I highly doubt RDR2 will have a quick load time, unless it has a linear beginning and lengthy cutscenes.

A.Romero

Quick install or whatever is by game basis, not related to a firmware. It's up to the devs if they want to use it, and it takes a bit of effort to make it work.

Not many games will do it like how it worked in Yakuza Kiwami 2

That's weird, I just installed Yakuza Kiwami 2 last night and it made me wait until it finished installing all the way or it seemed that way. Standard PS4 running the latest FW.

Top Bottom