• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Valve abandon Half Life?

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Conclude the story, make a decent game, slap Half life 3 on the title, bam it's an instant million plus seller. It just makes too much sense for this not too happen. I am even surprised some third party hasn't offered some serious cash to license out the ip for this purpose.

The VR game was cool and successful. I do not understand why there hasn't been much progress for the conclusion to the story.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Conclude the story, make a decent game, slap Half life 3 on the title, bam it's an instant million plus seller. It just makes too much sense for this not too happen. I am even surprised some third party hasn't offered some serious cash to license out the ip for this purpose.

The VR game was cool and successful. I do not understand why there hasn't been much progress for the conclusion to the story.
Performance anxiety that’s why

Mozzarella

They made a Half Life game in 2020, 3 years ago, they still do, when the need arise they will release more probably.
From my experience, it seems Valve only make games to push some technology, like the source engine or some game design trend or something.
For Half Life Alyx it was VR. P:eek:rtal 2 is because the Orange Box minigame Portal got successful so they wanted to make actual full game on it.

So i think you'd have to wait for some new engine or technology or some gaming trend to get a new game from them, otherwise they are comfortable with managing steam and becoming the leading force behind PC gaming.

As others have said they haven't made many games in general lately, but I also think they get so much hype/press from the community than anything they could get by making another Half Life. Honestly at this point Half Life 3 could be universally acclaimed as the greatest game in history and it probably wouldn't live of to the hype

VN1X

Banned

They are working on a project called Half-Life X although I cant remember if it's going to be VR only again or where its set in the overarching story. Perhaps after that we'll get some brave (new) souls that dare to start and actually finish HL3. It's already been cancelled internally twice iirc.

Also Neon Prime is a thing they are working on which is an asynchronous multiplayer title that combines VR and standard input devices.

There isn't really any reason to even want Half-Life 3 any more. It is just trolling and memes, where the joke is that it goes on way too long.

to want? I disagree there's plenty of reason to want Half Life 3 based on where the story left off. However I agree there's no reason to expect it to ever happen, I gave up on Half Life 3 a decade ago, if it ever happens I'll be happy but otherwise whatever at this point

Not every franchise has to last forever. I respect them more for not going the cash grab route and actually only putting out games they feel will be a great experience (Half life Alyx).

Wildebeest

to want? I disagree there's plenty of reason to want Half Life 3 based on where the story left off. However I agree there's no reason to expect it to ever happen, I gave up on Half Life 3 a decade ago, if it ever happens I'll be happy but otherwise whatever at this point
Based on where the story left off which they have apparently already retconned in a spin off? Expect no story with character development or satisfying explanations, only fan service.

We just got Alyx a couple of years ago and they literally just announced CS2 last week yet we've got people in here saying they've abandoned game development.

Just lol. Lmao, even.

They are not wrong. Alyx was a hardware seller. CS2 is not a new game my guy. They are updating the engine and the visuals, kinda like a remaster. Thats it.

As to answer OP, yes they kinda abandoned it and whats even worse, they ending to Alyx is pretty much the ending to Ep 2 of HL2 but they changed some bits but the cliffhanger is still there. Why? Because theyre fucking idiots.

Crystal Ball Illustration GIF by Parker Jackson

Buggy Loop

They are not wrong. Alyx was a hardware seller. CS2 is not a new game my guy. They are updating the engine and the visuals, kinda like a remaster. Thats it.

As to answer OP, yes they kinda abandoned it and whats even worse, they ending to Alyx is pretty much the ending to Ep 2 of HL2 but they changed some bits but the cliffhanger is still there. Why? Because theyre fucking idiots.

Half Life Alyx ending complaints? Holy shit

Donald Trump GIF by reactionseditor

Half Life Alyx ending complaints? Holy shit

Donald Trump GIF by reactionseditor

Wrong about what? Did you play the game? It ends on the same cliffhanger as Ep2 of HL2 but they changed something, that I wont spoil but its still a cliffhanger to a story we will never see it finished. what the fuck am I wrong about?

Hugare

Wrong about what? Did you play the game? It ends on the same cliffhanger as Ep2 of HL2 but they changed something, that I wont spoil but its still a cliffhanger to a story we will never see it finished. what the fuck am I wrong about?
Have YOU played the game?

Its not the same cliffhanger. Same place, but what happens and the implications are totally different from Ep 2.

Its another cliffhanger, sure, but if anything that tells us that Valve have plans for that story.

And btw, this whole thread is dumb. Alyx is only 3 years old. And tho it was made exclusively for VR, its a full feature HL game.

Drizzlehell

Banned
They don't care about the money that they'd make from selling a new Half-Life game. That would be loose change compared to what they make from running Steam. They seem to be more interested in branching out into hardware and various methods in which they could innovate and expand their business in those areas.

The only reason why Alyx was made was to increase the value of their VR headset, and they probably won't make another game unless there's some specific business-related reason behind it.

Yeah it's a compelling franchise but the sooner you realize that there's not reason getting invested in it anymore, the better.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Its another cliffhanger, sure, but if anything that tells us that Valve have plans for that story.
More like: they just make up shit as they go along. Alyx's ending was meant to do one thing: build up hype. And it worked perfectly.

But they almost certainly have no idea where to take this story next. Maybe some vague ideas are being thrown around here and there but probably nothing specific.

Last edited:

Its not the same cliffhanger. Same place, but what happens and the implications are totally different from Ep 2.

And btw, this whole thread is dumb. Alyx is only 3 years old. And tho it was made exclusively for VR, its a full feature HL game.

Reading is hard.

It ends on the same cliffhanger as Ep2 of HL2 but they changed something,

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

This

The ending hints at

motherfucking Half Life 3 or at the very least, whatever is after Episode 2, call it episode 3 for all i care, but as Gordon takes the crowbar, we aren't going for Alyx 2 here, Gordon "has work to do". Also means that Alyx is the G-man's new hire, it changes the whole premise of Half Life 2

Brilliant ending. Can't believe someone would complain on that.

mortal

Gold Member

HL3.exe

This argument made a lot more sense before HLA's reveal/release.

They're working on stuff (HLX if the leaks are to be believed), things take time to develop. They finally got Source 2 into shape. They've created a lot of new assets, systems and mechanics for HLA and they're not going to let that to waste.

Last edited:

MangalaX

Neo Member
Alyx was one of the coolest games I played during the pandemic, and the ending gave me hope for ANYTHING half life....I think the next one is going to be VR probably

Buggy Loop

After that ending to HL:A there better be another Half Life and I better get to play it before I die...

This

But i think we will

Valve Deckard will probably introduce something new to VR and what's the best candidate than Half Life to demonstrate it. They nailed it with Alyx. I would actually be pissed if Half Life 3 is ever announced and it's not VR. I don't care about going back to 2D formula. Alyx was the best goddamn gaming experience of my life.

Holammer

fVCX51j.jpg

A million seller isn't enough, neither is two or three million. Valve is small, if they do something it's gonna have to earn its keep, long-term.
With the exception of HL: Alyx (it's also another technology demonstrator), Valve of today only does GaaS. The early monetization success of TF2 provided an experimental laboratory and a template they use for everything. Valve & Yanis Varoufakis's work on virtual economy is largely forgotten, but they wrote the book.
Which is a shame, even EA figured they had to do a couple of single player projects just to keep up appearances.

IMO, Valve should partially drop the self-organizing hippie business model and create a few neat und tidy dedicated studios for other stuff, like a few singleplayer focused projects, or maintaining and developing TF2. It is criminal insanity that it's left in its current state.

This

But i think we will

Valve Deckard will probably introduce something new to VR and what's the best candidate than Half Life to demonstrate it. They nailed it with Alyx. I would actually be pissed if Half Life 3 is ever announced and it's not VR. I don't care about going back to 2D formula. Alyx was the best goddamn gaming experience of my life.
For real, it’s a shame not as many people have been able to experience it. But it’s a whole other level imo to any VR game - it was also maybe my favorite gaming experience ever

StereoVsn

You all realize that Valve is a fairly small company, right?

They only have what, about 500 employees, and that includes folks developing and supporting their hardware efforts, online games, Steam platform, developing Linux and so on.

It's a damn miracle they do as much as is. In addition, their organizational structure is ...interesting. If a project doesn't interest enough people it doesn't happen.

So between that and the fact they released an HL game 3 years ago, these complaints are ridiculous.

Would it be great to have full on HL3 release? Of course it would, but you have to temper your expectations with proper context.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
If they’re going to keep making it VR (playable for 1% of people) they might as well just leave it dead.

Last edited:

Ivan

"But they made it - it's Alyx, that VR game" must be the sentence I hate the most at the moment. It brings the worst in me when I hear it.

Yes, that's what the world was waiting for, a fucking vr game to play with that thing on your head. That's HL3 we wanted. Fuck.

Top Bottom