• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Valve abandon Half Life?

"But they made it - it's Alyx, that VR game" must be the sentence I hate the most at the moment. It brings the worst in me when I hear it.

Yes, that's what the world was waiting for, a fucking vr game to play with that thing on your head. That's HL3 we wanted. Fuck.
Alyx is not half life 3. It’s not trying to be half life 3 - but imo half life needs to be groundbreaking on some level. Half life 1,2 and Alyx accomplish this in their own ways - 1 was the first game I played with scripted story events and advanced AI, 2 had physics people had never seen before integrated into gameplay, Alyx was in VR and a whole other level that legitimately tricks you into feeling like you’re actually in the world unlike anything I’ve experienced - helped by the incredible graphics and new physics - there is still no vr game that matches it even closely. But if there is gonna be a half life 3 it need to do something new not just be a continuation of the story - if that’s all it needed to be it shoulda just been an episode 3 15 years ago

Reactions: AV

Laptop1991

As a normal game, yes, as a VR game no, if HL Alex has been a standard game, i'm pretty sure it would of sold at least a few copies!, Valve obviously don't want or need to make big games in any timely fashion or they would do, we will just keep wanting and mentioning what we won't get forever lol.

Majukun

officially no. in practice yes

personally not really hurting for an half life 3 after how bad the ending of two was

Last edited:

L*][*N*K

Banned
I don't know why people say things like "they are only interested in MP games", Valve is a very large company they had around $13 billion revenue last year, if they wanted to they can put together a team of 200 developers, give them a $100 million and see where it goes, there are talented writers and developers who would love to work on Half-Life 3, its just that they don't care to make this game and quite frankly I don't blame them.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Alyx is not half life 3. It’s not trying to be half life 3 - but imo half life needs to be groundbreaking on some level. Half life 1,2 and Alyx accomplish this in their own ways - 1 was the first game I played with scripted story events and advanced AI, 2 had physics people had never seen before integrated into gameplay, Alyx was in VR and a whole other level that legitimately tricks you into feeling like you’re actually in the world unlike anything I’ve experienced - helped by the incredible graphics and new physics - there is still no vr game that matches it even closely. But if there is gonna be a half life 3 it need to do something new not just be a continuation of the story - if that’s all it needed to be it shoulda just been an episode 3 15 years ago

It's this. There's no current way for them to advance single player shooters outside of VR and VR has a low adoption rate, but Alyx is still the best VR game 3 years later and will probably remain the best VR game for a few more years.

Making a Half-Life 3 which is just another FPS that advances the story is not Valve's MO and isn't a very interesting idea anyway. I think they're waiting for some technical advancement which means a HL3 is worth doing in the first place.

Minsc

Gold Member
If you want to play more Half-Life but don't get a VR headset to play Alyx, I can only conclude you don't want to play more Half-Life. If the question is still being asked after you've played Alyx, then it's Valve. Give them 20 years, they're like Blizzard, it takes time.

lukilladog

It has been like 20 years?. Even Jesus disciples started to kick the bucket waiting for imminent return around that amount of years.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
"But they made it - it's Alyx, that VR game" must be the sentence I hate the most at the moment. It brings the worst in me when I hear it.

Yes, that's what the world was waiting for, a fucking vr game to play with that thing on your head. That's HL3 we wanted. Fuck.
It's far better than we all could have wanted, because we didn't know about high-end VR back when we played HL2.

HL1 is my favorite by far, and i feel like it's a lot different from all the other HL games... so in my eyes, they basically abandoned HL after HL1.

nkarafo

FPS games have evolved a lot since Half-Life 2. It won't be enough for HL3 to be better than 2. It will have to be better than any other FPS. Anything less will be considered a disappointment for such an important title.

As far as single player games go, i would be happier if they announced Portal 3 tbh.

Everyone knows a long awaited sequel will never deliver the high expectations. They would put more effort if it mattered financially but it won't even make a dent considering STEAM makes more in a month than lifetime sales of HL3 lol.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I would be pissed if HL3 is not VR honestly. There's no going back.
If you haven’t played the HL2 VR mod, it’s excellent. I can’t even imagine going back to that game anymore without VR, it made it come to life (vehicle sections used to bore me, but in VR they’re amazing).

Zug

At the very least do a full blown remake/remaster of HL2. Would love a modern console version of that game with modern graphics. And add some QOL things like ability to aim down sights.
There's HL2 in VR. Not Valve but they are endorsing it (mod is on Steam).

Top Bottom