• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you ever avoid a game you wanted to play?

oliverandm

As the title of the thread suggests, I want to ask you, if you have ever avoided a game that you would like to try but had reasons to stay away from?

An example for me was League of Legends.

I played World of Warcraft for 8 years. I took breaks that lasted for months, but they were originally attempts at leaving the game behind, though eventually unsuccesfully of course.

I always found myself back in the seat, and I couldn't take proper care of school, 'nor did prioritize social relations in a positive manner.

Suddenly all my friends stopped playing WoW, arguing it was too time demanding. Yet, they all switched to LoL, and their consumption seemed equally as much as before. It had me thinking, and as I got bored with WoW, and thought of joining my friends in LoL, it dawned on me that maybe it was best to avoid it and focus on other things; I was afraid I would just continue my rather unproductive cycle, to be honest.

I have avoided games like PUBG, Overwatch, Fortnite, CS: GO and Destiny for the same reason. It's not that they are like WoW, or even like each other, but they are wildly popular, and I hate the thought of my competetive behaviour getting the best of me, when I don't actually gain anything from spending all those hours. It's not an investment to me, but rather a waste of time.

I am pretty sure that I know my limits by now, and seeing where I am today, as opposed to 4-5 years back, it would just be odd for me to go back to prioritizing 8 hours of gaming every day. None the less, I avoid most games that don't have a proper ending, or won't see and end to their GaaS model, simply because I feel it's a waste of my time, no matter how fun they are!

Last edited:

Acti

Never avoided a game to play in my life, and this is coming from someone who played a shit ton of WoW from the vanilla until cata. I tend to be able to control myself when it comes to games or whatever "time waste" activities I do. Now a days I only play strategy games, a couple of dota with friends but mainly fighting games like SF, GG,TEKKEN and DBFZ.

Last edited:

Makariel

No, I just don't play games if I haven't got the time for them, but I would never do active steps avoiding a game I might find interesting.

I just don't find e.g. Destiny or Fortnite interesting, hence I don't play it. If I would find it interesting, I'd give it a shot.

Berrigal

Neo Member
I've avoided playing Season 3 of Telltale's 'The Walking Dead' for quite a while now. I absolutely loved the first season, and to this day it remains one of my favourite stories in gaming. I couldn't have been more hyped for the second season. However, when I finally played it, while there were some cool moments and interesting character designs... it felt empty. Like I was being railroaded from scene to scene with a bunch of faceless cast members, and 'choices' that ended up being inconsequential at best, and actively frustrating at worst (looking at you, Arvo). Was it a bad game? I wouldn't go that far, but as a continuation of one of my favourite stories it just struck such a sour chord with me. Any real interest I had in the story faded away pretty quickly after I couldn't even be bothered replaying S2 to see all the alternate paths.

But then, I played The Wolf Among Us, another Telltale game that I thought they totally nailed and showed flashes of the writing and artistic brilliance of S1 of The Walking Dead. It convinced me that Telltale wasn't a total fluke, and that they really could produce some wonderful characters and stories if they put their minds to it. Full disclosure, I've purchased S3 of TWD. But as time's gone on, I've heard and seen snippets of discontent with the story and characters echoed by friends and people on the internet alike, and I just can't bring myself to sit down and play it. Maybe I'm too afraid that it'll ruin Clementine for me? Or maybe I've just built up too great an expectation in my head for what S3 could (and probably should) have been. Either way, I don't think I'm ever going to play S3 - I'd rather wonder what could have been than look behind the curtain.

KevinKeene

Banned
I avoid mmorpgs for similar reasons, except I never even started one. That's partly because there is no mmorpg thst's as fun as all those mmo anime make you believe they are :/

Also, I avoid censored games unless it's a musthave. Never bought Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Fire Emblem Fates for that reason. There are plenty other games that I can play and that respect the creator's vision.

MayauMiao

I avoid pretty much online gaming like Team Fortress 2, Destiny, Counter Strike, GTA Online, PUBG due to the never ending game nature of the game.

I felt dedicating myself to those type of games will make me miss out newer & interesting ones.

Most of my purchases nowadays are games with single player component. Can't wait for Far Cry 5.

Dragon Ball Fighter Z. It looks amazing but i suck at fighting games.

And Fortnite BR and PUBG. I love fps but BR games are too tense for my taste.

Last edited:

woopWOOP

I avoid MMORPGs now because, despite some of them looking really fun to play and meet new people through, I feel there's a pretty good chance I get addicted again and I really want to avoid that.

I avoid pretty much online gaming like Team Fortress 2, Destiny, Counter Strike, GTA Online, PUBG due to the never ending game nature of the game.

Similar to this, there are times when I won't start a game I'm pretty sure I will enjoy because of the time commitment. Not necessarily online, but some big rpgs just seem like a real investment sometimes, and I can't get myself to jump in. And there are other offline games that can seem pretty endless if you really get into them, and I think to myself, "I'll just play something short."

Granted, when I do get over that psychological hurdle and dive in, I usually am thankful I did. It's nice to get lost in a really deep/lengthy experience sometimes.

lachesis

Well, my cousin was really really into Diablo 2 - and when Diablo 3 came out - he literally said that he won't play it because he "knows" that it will ruin his life.

OH-MyCar

I played a lot of Resident Evil. I didn’t play 7 because I get the scared. I will play 2 Remake. I make no sense.

This’d probably make a good post in the shameful game cred topic, but I love survival horror; I’ve beaten nearly every major game in the genre... once it’s aged enough to not stress and scare me out of my goddamned mind.

I bought Resident Evil 7 on day 1 and cant wait to get around to playing it one of these years.

I guess another would be Witcher 3. I bought it and played it for roughly 2 hours, then never touched it again. Scope was a little too much for me I think; which is odd because I love Breath of the Wild.

Last edited:
That's pretty interesting that your fear of deep ocean kept you from playing a video game about it. I've never thought of that sort of thing.
Well, the game has VR support so that exacerbates such fears lol. Looking down into a deep dark abyss is terrifying. I suppose I could play it in 2D but.. that feels like a regression once you've played a game in VR.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Yakuza 6 I’ve avoided forever so I can play through the Kiwani games first even though all the Yakuza games have came out

Geki-D

Banned
FFXV waiting for them to add the patches that apparently make the story more fleshed out along with the DLC. I think the last bit is coming out soon so I'll probably finally play it.

Well, the game has VR support so that exacerbates such fears lol. Looking down into a deep dark abyss is terrifying. I suppose I could play it in 2D but.. that feels like a regression once you've played a game in VR.
That's a good point. I've avoided the VR thing so far. I sometimes even forget that it's a thing.

-Minsc-

Short answer, not very well.

I feel I mostly have new games out of my system. Recently I started getting into a colony building mod for Minecraft, had to pull myself back. Same with hopping on a Phantasy Star Online server. As much as I'd like to play them I just don't have the self control at the moment to do so.

Vercimber

Ridiculously, it took me about 8 YEARS to play RE4 after it was released. I was too scared to go into the village. What doesn't make sense is that horror games such as Dead Space, Amnesia, The Evil Within, etc., don't faze me. PT caused some tachycardia, but I was too mesmerized by that vision, and so the fear was suppressed. But RE4--of all games--was the one I yearned to play and didn't until I faced the village. RE7 did not do this to me at all. Loved every minute of both games.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Age of Conan and Guild Wars. I had a real hankering to play both of these, but I just knew after a couple of years playing MMO's that I couldn't commit to another one so I passed... :(

jadedm17

Gears of War Judgment is the only that comes to mind, based on the principle of garbage design choices... But I didn't want to play it that much anyways.

Over 1000 hours in Destiny and I wish I avoided Destiny 2 . The few dozen hours I had were mediocre and the PVP was garbage compared to D1 for me personally. I won't be back for Destiny 3 after that burn : $100 on 2 collector copies, some Funko Pops and at least $50 on the loot boxes. Nope, done, I'm out.

Diddy X

GTA V, I want to play it because who hasn't yet? but I have the suspicion that it will bore me just like GTA IV did.

Can't think of one off the top of my head, but I will probably do that with the upcoming BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle. No amount of pre-release price cuts, timed free DLC, and any other backpedaling by Arc will justify what that game represents and what DLC future Arc want to take fighting games using this as a testing ground for what there fans will take,

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Subnautica for the obvious reasons. The way the developers treated their former sound designer for different political views was just poor.

Zambayoshi

I have so far avoided Mirror's Edge Catalyst. I loved Mirror's Edge and own Catalyst, but have not played it apart from the Beta that was on before launch. I think for me the potential for enjoyment is more powerful than the thought of playing it and not actually enjoying it. It sounds strange, but I love the anticipation. It's like Christmas Eve being better (in my opinion) than Christmas morning after the presents are opened.

Big4reel

monster hunter

The psp one got me addicted so I avoided the other titles because I didn`t want the game to take over me

MrMorningMan

Neo Member
I've been avoiding Nier: Automata. Everything about the game sounds great and reception from critics and gamers was fantastic, but I'm afraid I'm going to dislike it. A silly reason to avoid playing a game I know.

Last edited:

Halo0629

I avoid mmorpg's especially the heavy grinding ones. Don't really have the time or the patience anymore for that type of games.

Djura

Neo Member
Lol I've been avoiding alot of major western RPGs cause I don't wanna sink a bunch of time into them just to not finish it

I played a lot of Resident Evil. I didn’t play 7 because I get the scared. I will play 2 Remake. I make no sense.
I avoided RE7 because I want to play it in VR the first time and I want it to look as good as it does in non-VR mode on PS4. Meaning I'll wait for the PS5-version or PC-version when I get a better gfx card (and VR support is added).

I also avoided GTA V on PS3 because I knew it was going to get a release with much better and smoother graphics for nextgen systems.

So technical reasons for both games.

TannerDemoz

FFXIV - Still haven't played it. Worried I'll be TOO into it and won't be able to commit!

Ignored Res 7 as a day one purchase due to res 6 being a bag of sick. Friends started playing it and re-assured me how good it was. Never looked back – incredible game.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I avoid great games like Civ because playing them is like putting time on fast forward. A day will go by in the blink of an eye. Scary.

Szym

Neo Member
I avoided playing Crusader Kings II for a few weeks when it came out as I had a number of projects to finish and given how much I played the original, I figured I'd never get my work done.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I avoid great games like Civ because playing them is like putting time on fast forward. A day will go by in the blink of an eye. Scary.

I treat Civ like I treat a board game. I only play with friends at a LAN party and we do one thing all day while eating pizza and hanging out. Helps save my sanity too, otherwise I swear I would lose more hours than I do with WoW or FFXIV.

oliverandm

Great answers everyone! I was definitely thinking about my bad habit of getting addicted to certain kind of games, but seeing how some answers acknowledges that life sometimes demand a lot of their time, I can definitely relate; it's what has kept me away from the games I mentioned, more so than anything else. I am not the type of guy to fall to addiction, but I definitely had my issues when I was younger, with less responsibility, and that became a nature of habit to me. A routine. I can't afford that anymore, which is why I don't play too many RPG's either, anymore. But when I do... Oh man haha.

Graven

At most, i delayed a few games playthrough because i wanted to upgrade my pc first so i could play it with better performance and graphics, but that's the extent of it.

About time availability however, i can see the thought behind not playing certain games.

Last edited:

Leonidas

My backlog is proof that I've avoided many games I've wanted to play(otherwise I wouldn't have bought them). Not sure of the reason, hopefully I get around to playing most of them, eventually.

Top Bottom