• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you like Dooms music? (wanna know why?) / Send a message in a bottle

-KRS-

Did iD ever have to pay royalties for some of the Doom music? Its pretty obvious that some of the music is based on other tracks.

I don't know, but I'm wondering if this is the reason the music in the PSX version is different. Also the Jaguar version didn't even have any music right? Maybe that's also because of this.

Corto

I hope you are all well and in good health 2 years from now. Also, Doom 4 will never come out Zeliard. It's over.

Coldsun

Banned
Wait, I always thought the Doom 2 songs, ID actually got permission from the bands. I have no proof, they're just so EXACTLY like the song they had to have had permission for it :lol

Actually ID didn't get permission, nor did they need it. Bobby Prince was previously a lawyer who was well versed copyright law and in turn knew how much they could legally sample songs. Hence the similarities.

d31m0s

This actually goes a long way to explaining why I didn't like the music in Doom.

Oh.... 2005. WOW.

This explains why i love it never noticed it till i heard Cannibal corpses cover of no remorse for E1M1 though i guess because the way their guitars are tuned make it stand out more

G-Fex

4chan still has a pretty good, active Doom community on /vr/ and /vg/. Would recommend checking it out.

2013 Wads: http://i.imgur.com/yeSiyQo.jpg

And this is required reading: http://vrdoom.weebly.com/faq.html

This is some good news, I usually stream myself trying out some doom wads lately.

Thank you for this stuff. I've become a Doomer and a huge doom fanatic lately to the point I want to really speedrun Doom.

Also for this thread.

You guys should really hear the 3DO soundtrack for Doom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsHsO8U00Vg

There is no such thing as a DOOM 4, ya hear me?

Final Doom is Doom 3, Doom 64 then is Doom 4.

We have the perfect Doom 4.

squidyj

I'm more interested in what I was doing when this thread was made, than it's topic. I think I was still working at Staples.

wizzbang

Banned
!!!

http://www.doomworld.com/linguica/doomcovers/

calum.jpg

Welcome to 1994? ,............ We know, still love Dooms music though.

baphomet

Um, I noticed this immediately upon play Doom for the first time. I'm surprised this is news to anyone. Even in 2005.

pirata

What the hell happened with Doom 4? Whatever it is, I bet the story behind it isn't fun. I hope Id survives so that they can someday make Quest. Only if Carmack pitches in, though.

And holy shit at this thread. To think that when it was posted was the era when PS2 reigned supreme. When the Japanese gaming industry was a force to be reckoned with. I miss those days.

It was also only four years after 9/11. Think about that.

d31m0s

What the hell happened with Doom 4? Whatever it is, I bet the story behind it isn't fun. I hope Id survives so that they can someday make Quest. Only if Carmack pitches in, though.

And holy shit at this thread. To think that when it was posted was the era when PS2 reigned supreme. When the Japanese gaming industry was a force to be reckoned with. I miss those days.

It was also only four years after 9/11. Think about that.

Rumor has it when Carmack was supervising Rage/Working on Idtech 5 he had a team work on it and it was described as Doom of duty so a little after rage launched he had them scrap the entire project and start from scratch because he did not like what was put together at all

Rumor has it when Carmack was supervising Rage/Working on Idtech 5 he had a team work on it and it was described as Doom of duty so a little after rage launched he had them scrap the entire project and start from scratch because he did not like what was put together at all

But was Rage a good game under his supervising?

pirata

Yeah, the stuff that leaked from the project looked entirely unappealing, so I can't fault him at that. At this point, I think the best thing to do with Doom is to embrace its inherent dumbness. Dumb in a good way. Like sketches in a 14-year-old's notebook. It's silly, and that's okay. The more pentagrams and guitar riffs, the better. And one must be able to run faster than the rockets. It wouldn't be Doom if you can't sprint as fast as a car.

d31m0s

But was Rage a good game under his supervising?

A fine game some of the best gunplay of the generation had a good vision and was beautiful but fumbled on some of the execution of the non shooting parts.As long as Doom 4 has no regen health has RAGE,s gunplay and has Doom like levels i will be a happy man

I first played Doom 1 & 2 on PS1. Those ports just had atmospheric ambient music that made things scary and tense. I didn't know there was different music on PC until after Columbine news coverage showed it as an example of why Doom warped their brains. Don't really like the original music.

edit: wow, that's an old thread

G-Fex

I first played Doom 1 & 2 on PS1. Those ports just had atmospheric ambient music that made things scary and tense. I didn't know there was different music on PC until after Columbine news coverage showed it as an example of why Doom warped their brains. Don't really like the original music.

edit: wow, that's an old thread

Yeah psx/Saturn had some "moody" music, it got ridiculous later on when you start hearing babies cry and stuff.

Still and always will prefer the original music. Doom isn't supposed to be scary. It's about kicking ass and taking names.

Ok sometimes I still jump when a door opens and a hell knight or revenant scream loudly.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
mother of god

Fantasmo

Doom II's soundtrack is probably one of the most varied. They switched out the heavy rock of Doom I for some really haunting melodies, but then also some oddly tranquil and chilled tracks. My favorite (after some YouTube searching) is probably this one, "Into Sandy's City", which absolutely gives the imminent feel of "Oh shit, there are demons invading the planet from Hell".

The quote from Bobby Prince on that link says he originally wrote it for piano. Funny, because back when I was modding Doom, I exported that track and changed the General MIDI harpsichord patch to a grand piano one, and it sounded so much better that my friends had me patch it into their games as well.

We played a LOT of DM 2.0 on that map.

LakeEarth

Actually ID didn't get permission, nor did they need it. Bobby Prince was previously a lawyer who was well versed copyright law and in turn knew how much they could legally sample songs. Hence the similarities.

Thanks, that question has been weighing on my head for the last 8 years :)

Doom of Duty, lol. Probably lots of action set pieces, bad dialog and linear gameplay. What's wrong with making a game that's purely mazes filled with demons?

ZServ

Damn, 9 years and this thread is still going?

I wonder if doom 4 will have campy covers of popular metal. I hope so.

old news by four years:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61408

sorry, had to :'(

Unless it's a fad I haven't noticed yet, you just linked back to this topic.

Skipping a ton of posts but I think it's close to 20 years at this point as I'm sure a lot noticed back then. I remember playing Doom 2 and noticing how similar a lot of the music to some songs I was familiar with back in the mid or late 90s.

EDIT: And I just saw that this topic is nine years old and got bumped up...

Top Bottom