• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Difficulty Modes that Insult the Player

entremet

I don't mind it really, I mean Viewtiful Joe normal mode is called Kid and it doesn't bother me.

What does bother me if I can't switch difficulty level on the fly.

I am proud to say that played The Wonderful 101 in normal mode and I am okay in not playing it in hard mode.

People really hated that back in the day. I found it funny.

Card Boy

Banned
Thought this would be a cool thread like Dooms modes but nope its some butthurt guy without a sense of humour. This is why we cant have nice things.

Anyone who takes themselves seriously enough to be offended or put off by the image or name of the difficulty most likely shouldn't be playing The New Order in the first place.

Haunted

Nobody wants to pick a difficulty level that makes fun of you.
Oh, get over yourself.

I played Wolfenstein on that difficulty and had a good sensible chuckle at the selection screen.

The only difficulties that are insulting to me are those that pretend as if it's going to be tough, yet they're actually easy. Wolfenstein is honest in comparison while making a joke about it. Totally fine.

Honestly OP, you make it sound like the game called you a disgusting racial slur and then mocked you using a racial stereotype. You're really making mountains out of mole hills.

Mechazawa

I don't know of too many other games that do this, but Ninja Gaiden Black is somewhat infamous for its "Ninja Dog" difficulty that is even more blatant in being an insult. It just strikes me as very weird. If you're gonna include a difficulty that's so easy that you basically insult any players that might wish to choose it, than just cut it so that it's not there at all. Nobody wants to pick a difficulty level that makes fun of you.

Ninja Dog was a response to the whining brought on by OG Ninja Gaiden xbox. If Ninja Gaiden's difficulty was a non-topic when it came out, I doubt Ninja Dog would have ever been introduced.

People need to stop being self-conscious about difficulty levels when developers poke fun at them about it. I played Viewtiful Joe on kid mode because I was not worthy for Kamiya-sama's Big Tokusatsu Adventure and I must grovel appropriately for it.

Reset

Jazz Jack Rabbit 2 does something similar.
spazfish.jpg
mqdefault.jpg

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member

How do you function in the real world?

REDSLATE

Pretty sure it was actually there so your kid could play, but don't quote me on that. Wolf 3D didn't used to carry a "Mature" rating (or any rating for that matter).

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
iFUr3yOjv5WN8.gif

You SHOULD be ridiculed for playing on baby easy toddler mode.

There are plenty games I am not good at. I do not expect them to cater to me with some compromised experienced that could never hope to portend the game's true challenge. 10 year olds can beat Wolfenstein on that difficulty and probably Normal or even Hard considering how easy games have gotten, so you're damn right the character should resemble the player at that point.

This is another accurate portrayal, from Duke Nukem Advance:

81175-duke-nukem-advance-game-boy-advance-screenshot-difficulty-levelss.png

Piece of Cake Mode - You are a wimpy 10 year old. Go play outside, kid.
Who Wants Some - You are fucking casual scum who neither lifts nor plays games.
Come Get Some - You might just be a man with hair on your chest, but you better prove it.
Damn I'm Good - The only true way to play the game.

Lrrr

You know, growing up I used to think the world sucked, but seeing how it is today, I'm eternally grateful I grew up in a time when we could laugh at ourselves.

Riposte

I really like these. To me, it shows pride in spite of having to play to expectations, and they tend to be pretty funny in a teasing way. As far as difficulty setting names go, the only kind I like more are those that reference the material (e.g., MGS4's Solid Normal, Big Boss Hard).

What does bother me if I can't switch difficulty level on the fly.

This is worse. The more intrusive difficulty selection is, the more of a game mechanic it becomes (a game breaking one).

Nibel

"Girlfriend Mode" is absolutely wrong, I agree.

But being offended by an adult man dressed as baby which is not only a homage to the older games but also just a joke that is on one screen - I have no idea what to say, OP. And I seriously don't believe that someone picks up a game, sees that image and then turns it off because that person feels insulted - nobody has that low self-esteem.

If you are so bad at games, or are so unwilling to learn to play by it's rules, you are unable to experience the game the way that it was designed to be played, there's nothing wrong with mockery.

Kriken

th62p2R.png

It's just poking fun at you. A bit more creative way of naming difficulties than "easy, medium, hard, extra hard". After all, you are playing as macho Nazi slaying machine BJ Blazkowicz

I'm going to go with this, seems more like keeping to the series in a playful manner

Dennis

Banned
This is a satirical riff on the over-sensitive nature of todays gamers, right? right?

Please tell me you are not serious.

mclem

fJoM9eU.png

Cute naming, but probably embarrassed a great many adults who thought they were 'too good' for kids...

I think it's a photoshop

It's based on a comment made from one of the designers.

The skill tree is called Best Friends Forever, what lead designer John Hemingway dubbed the "girlfriend mode".

"The design team was looking at the concept art and thought, you know what, this is actually the cutest character we've ever had. I want to make, for the lack of a better term, the girlfriend skill tree. This is, I love Borderlands and I want to share it with someone, but they suck at first-person shooters. Can we make a skill tree that actually allows them to understand the game and to play the game? That's what our attempt with the Best Friends Forever skill tree is."

Interpreted as: "So easy, even your girlfriend can play it."

OP if you're offended by a game making a joke about how hard you want it to be, I question how you deal with actual jokes in the outside world.

its good to challenge yourself and use your brain in videogames, i dont mind developers making fun of users for being too scared to even try.

iFUr3yOjv5WN8.gif

You SHOULD be ridiculed for playing on baby easy toddler mode.

There are plenty games I am not good at. I do not expect them to cater to me with some compromised experienced that could never hope to portend the game's true challenge. 10 year olds can beat Wolfenstein on that difficulty and probably Normal or even Hard considering how easy games have gotten, so you're damn right the character should resemble the player at that point.

This is another accurate portrayal, from Duke Nukem Advance:

81175-duke-nukem-advance-game-boy-advance-screenshot-difficulty-levelss.png

Piece of Cake Mode - You are a wimpy 10 year old. Go play outside, kid.
Who Wants Some - You are fucking casual scum who neither lifts nor plays games.
Come Get Some - You might just be a man with hair on your chest, but you better prove it.
Damn I'm Good - The only true way to play the game.

Yeesh, speaking of taking shit too seriously

Anung

Un Rama
People who pick babby AutoPlay difficulties should feel bad and be mocked ;)

Christ, in The New Orders case its a reference to the original and a funny one at that. I thought this was going to be a thread about how modern games have difficulties that insult the player (due to condescension) not a thread about someones humourlessness.

MattyG

Banned
Just so everyone's on the same plage, there was no real "Girldfriend Mode". That's just a shop that's making fun of a stupid comment that someone from Gearbox made.

Dennis

Banned
I just can't wrap my head around being so sensitive that you would be upset at a middle school-level joke like that.

Everybody is just shitting all over him, but I think it's a mistake to make the game insulting to people who aren't good at it. You can lol all you want at him and says he's casual scum but I think we're better off long term if games ARE inviting and make people feel ok with playing them. Give the offer of easy difficulty from the beginning without shaming the player, don't lock it behind deaths to humiliate the player.

My wife has started to play games but she's still learning. I would find it pretty annoying if the games she played on easy mocked her. I get that this one is a reference to the orginal, but I find all the LOL YOU SO BAD posts pretty asinine. Give me a simple description of what each mode entails, let me play on hard and let my wife play on easy. Don't make players who are learning how to game abase themselves for no reason. That's just making barriers for entry into our community so you can feel "superior" to some casual. grats.

Protip: Beating a game on hard doesn't make you special.

Top Bottom