• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Difficulty Modes that Insult the Player

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I don't see any reason to get upset about this. Can't we just have some fun lightheartedness in our Nazi killing game?

Sure! And all the fun lightheartedness that exists in the TNO is great, when it's not intentionally insulting the player.

In the first level there's an officer on the phone with his superior
and he starts talking about his kids
. I found it hilarious right before I slashed his throat.

JTNOuYE.gif

If you die too many times in SMT IV you're offered the chance to turn the games difficulty down to easy, but only after a couple demons make fun of you and take some of your money.

It's pretty great, honestly. I told them to piss off and beat the game on normal difficulty.

bootski

what a bizarre post. are you honestly insulted because an over the top video game has some over the top, slightly insulting but funny menu choices? the entire menu is a throwback and it's making the joke that you're a baby for choosing easy. you get that right?

If you die too many times in SMT IV you're offered the chance to turn the games difficulty down to easy, but only after a couple demons make fun of you and take some of your money.

It's pretty great, honestly. I told them to piss off and beat the game on normal difficulty.

ahah thats awesome. OP i think you need to break from the game and reevaluate why it makes you angry. I think you might be bothered about something else

Varna

I actually wish games did more of that especially since western "AAA" games like to hold your hand anyway.

No idea what you specifically site western games. All mainstream games hold your hand to a ridiculous degree these last couple of generations.

Zareka

I loved this. The best part is at the end when they ask something like "Did you get all that?" and the option to continue is just

"Yes...yes."

I love laughing along with games making a bit of a joke out of me if I screw up or do something done. Hell, it can end up making it less frustrating in the end by having it turned in to a joke.

The chicken hat in MGSV is worse, they make you wear a dumb hat throughout the game because you're a huge scrub.

Actually I think it's an optional item that becomes available if you die really often. Equipping the hat makes you invisible to enemies.

Riposte

I want this to happen in a videogame one day:

"You've died three times in row, would would like to drop it to a lower difficulty?"

YES
NO

Player picks "YES"

"There is no lower difficulty."

and then the game loads to the most recent checkpoint or w/e.

Fury451

Banned

"You've died three times in row, would would like to drop it to a lower difficulty?"

YES
NO

Player picks "YES"

and then the game loads to the most recently checkpoint or w/e.

This should be in Dark Souls. Just for the troll factor.

Nobody's going to look down on you for picking an easier difficulty.

But they totally might look down on you for catching feelings over a game joking about you picking an easier difficulty.

Garjon

I don't think it is offensive but I agree in that it's a bit stupid, especially considering some of the themes of the story of the game. It was a bit stupid 25 years ago too, despite the games themselves being a lot less dark.

ZealousD

OP i think you need to break from the game and reevaluate why it makes you angry.

Why would I take a break from a game I am enjoying? This thing didn't annoy me enough that I'm calling it a trash game or anything like that. I just think it's stupid to include difficulty modes that the developer has to insult you in order for you to feel guilty not to pick it. It's bizarre. People aren't going to pick it, so why include it?

If the joke extended further than just poking fun at the player's expense, like enemies attacked you with water guns and rubber mallets, I would find it hilarious.

YES
NO

Player picks "YES"

and then the game loads to the most recent checkpoint or w/e.

Now this is actually clever. It's a joke at the player's expense but at least there's something else to it. I would be perfectly fine with this.

DJ_Lae

Rise of the Triad did this too, also including alternate text at random.

I am a chew toy (Dig my grave. Now. / The enemy will devour me)
Will of iron, knees of Jell-O (I think I left the stove on / Which part is the trigger?)
I'm in my element: lead (I have pet names for my grenades)
Two words: reaper man (No one shall live)

Fury451

Banned
Why would I take a break from a game I am enjoying? This thing didn't annoy me enough that I'm calling it a trash game or anything like that. I just think it's stupid to include difficulty modes that the developer has to insult you in order for you to feel guilty not to pick it. It's bizarre. People aren't going to pick it, so why include it?

If the joke extended further than just poking fun at the player's expense, like enemies attacked you with water guns and rubber mallets, I would find it hilarious.

You do realize that the developer isn't insulting you personally. right? Or anybody else for that matter, because it's just there for a bit of fun? Would be genuinely surprised if anyone actually took that as a personal insult, ever.

Though I think your idea about water guns and rubber mallets is pretty brilliant to be honest.

Edit: to agree with what has already been said, the original game, and Doom both had similar features (exact same in the case of Wolfenstein). I won't argue that it's a very "90s" type of joke, but it's hardly something to take as a personal insult.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Op. I need to ask how old you are. I'm assuming 25 or under. The original game had the same thing. Hell, Doom had something similar.

ZealousD

Though I think your idea about water guns and rubber mallets is pretty brilliant to be honest.

Or maybe it's one of those plastic accordion mallets that make squeaky noises whenever you hit with them!

The hardest difficulty is displayed in German. Are they suggesting that only Germans are good enough to handle the hardest difficulty?

As a non-German gamer, I am offended by this!

Garjon

Op. I need to ask how old you are. I'm assuming 25 or under. The original game had the same thing. Hell, Doom had something similar.

The first Doom game had some weird masochistic thing going on. "Not too rough", "Hurt me plenty" etc. Even as a kid I thought it was a bit odd.

impact

Banned
If you're insulted by the difficulty name then chances are that difficulty is not for you.

People are babies these days that get "offended" by any little thing. Suck it up.

HGH

Banned
Instead of being insulted by easy modes, I love it when hard modes insult your lack of a life. "Why are you even playing this you maniac" etc...

ViRcHjY.jpg

That last one is pretty appropriate.

Top Bottom