• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Difficulty Modes that Insult the Player

OP is one focus test group away from ruining a potentially good game forever.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4087436#post4087436

Hideki Kamiya said:
I think the whole focus-group thing is not the way to make a game, because you start to bring in other people's opinions and lose some of the originality. For Viewtiful Joe, we brought in some kids to a focus test and asked them, "What do you think of the characters?" And all the kids said, "Oh, his head's too big," or "Silvia's annoying, I just want to kill her." They were just trashing the game, so I just got pissed off and said I'm not changing anything.

Javier

xDnTxzn.jpg

What's funny about this is that they named the first four difficulties after the original but they couldn't even come up with a funny name for the extra one.

Can't say I've ever been offended by anything in a video game...... it's a video game And has no detrimental effect on anything important in my life.

Crayolan

In I wanna be the guy if you choose medium difficulty (which is the easiest one) your character wears a bow and the new checkpoints added for medium all say "Wuss."

Xianghua

Banned
It's insulting to me when some games offer 5 to 6 difficulty modes. Unless you are a game as deep as Soul Calibur. Otherwise just 3 modes are enough.

ironcreed

Banned
uh_wtf_gif.gif

Most people are going to look at that and laugh, regardless if they are going to play on that difficulty or not. It's just a video game being video gamey.

Teeth

You never had a sense of gratification for beating a really hard video game? It's a great feeling.

Gratified? Sure. Excited, exhilarated, happy, satisfied, yeah, it's happened.

But getting a self esteem boost? Go experience some real life, get your priorities straight, go build something, improve yourself.

I'm not one of those people that think gaming is a complete waste of time (I spend far too much time doing it myself, it can be highly enjoyable), but it's all an illusion. You've "accomplished" a completely arbitrary set of designed goals that exist to be beat. I mean, it's possible you'll look back on your death bed and think "Damn, I wish I had spent more hours on video games playing them on hard mode. To think, I really could have been someone."

Teeth

Suddenly, the other ugly extreme rears its misdirected ideals into the fray.

Iz time to pahty!

lol ideals

3cool5me

Shouldn't you be out getting drunk and trying to get women to pay attention to you or something? Or at least going to the gym and maxing out every day?

Did I say anything outlandish? Like, is that a totally out there statement?

Did you read the second thing I posted?

Am I a guy?

Do I drink?

Do you know what false equivalence is?

Well, it is Easy..... And humor?

If you think you earn anything from a video game, especially self esteem, you should re-evaluate your life.

3cool5me

Shouldn't you be out getting drunk and trying to get women to pay attention to you or something? Or at least going to the gym and maxing out every day?

Jenenser

Rly op? its a hilarious joke, i love it when games poke fun at you.

another example of a hilarious joke:

Heroes of Newerth. (its a moba like LoL or Dota so you know how pissed you can get)
just lost the game, your in the menusceen, still raging at the last game. you quit and this happens.

Gonna echo the opinion that it's just you being too sensitive. I like the idea with a game joking around like this. It won't be stopping me from going with whatever difficulty is most comfortable to me.

What's funny about this is that they named the first four difficulties after the original but they couldn't even come up with a funny name for the extra one.

It's a reference to the Ubermensh, neitszche's concept of man becoming an idealized form that the Nazi 's systematically misinterpreted to mean ethnic Germans were better than everyone else.

So it is actually a pretty awesome name.

OP come on, guy.

Paracelsus

Maybe they should put a disclaimer that goes like this

Really? We put the mode in here, but seriously, that's not the way the game is meant to be played. How about we directly show you the ending then a clip of all of us clapping our hands at you?

Frankly, I agree more with the guy lagging the guys out of his Dark Souls game than anybody picking very easy. I can see it come in handy if you already beat the game and you're getting the second playthrough achievements but that's it.

I beat Rogue Warrior on "Pussy" difficulty but I didn't feel insulted. Like how you wouldn't feel insulted if a rapist called you an asshole.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Here is the thing, man. That game is easy on hard mode. Also, the key to playing at low difficulty is not giving a single fuck. You're there to fuck around how you want to fuck around and not give a shit about how anyone else thinks you should, and that is how it has to be. You'll get mocking titles, achievements calling you a trainee, low scores, bad end-of-level rankings, mediocre endings, and missing game mechanics, levels, and enemies/bosses. They start from what they feel is sensible, then try to enter the mind of someone who genuinely can't handle it, and they don't understand, so they make something as awkward as training wheels on a bike and put in these little digs to encourage you to take them off and get the more dangerous, yet more free and fun in your mastery, experience.

Top Bottom