• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: [4K] Call of Duty WW2 Beta: PS4 Pro vs PS4 Analysis

KageMaru

Well the framerate is the same in Pro no matter the resolution... so the drops happens due CPU.

What beneficies give you dynamic resolution when the GPU is not affecting the performace?

With the frame drops occurring during alpha heavy scenes, it's more likely a bandwidth issue, not a CPU one.

Not native 4k? 1420p? Confused... Can someone explain why DF say output 4k, but native is only 1420p.

Framebuffer is rendered at 1620p and then upscaled to 4K by the engine or system giving you a 4K output.

I wish developers would give an option to disable Temporal AA, at least for games with a dynamic res. Whenever a game has a dynamic res the transition between a lower and higher res makes the game look like it's running at a low res.
TAA shouldn't be used with dynamic res.

There are some great implementations of TAA and can do an amazing job at providing a clean image. Uncharted 4 and LL are two great examples.

Yes I did and honestly I wasn't impressed. It didn't look bad for a COD game, but in my opinion compared to what other devs can do it looks bad.
You mean compared to what DICE can do with Battlefront. I know that's your game and all but measuring anything against a DICE built Frostbite game is unfair in most cases.

WWII looks and plays fantastic, especially on the Pro with HDR. Can't wait for weekend 2 of the Beta.

KageMaru

Does anyone know why this happens? A lot of 60fps games that are smooth in gameplay drop frames in killcams. Is it a server issue?

For that particular scene it could a combo of the engine streaming in assets at a faster than normal speed with the shell also plunging towards an alpha heavy explosion.

Killcams usually throw you into the thick of the action, so that likely explains the more common drops.

RAWRferal

At what point can PS4 Pro owners start actually taking some sort of action against Sony for the lack of downsampling on titles considering it was a much touted feature before launch?

I don't mean to come across as self-entitled, but this is way beyond a joke now. People have speculated about a system-wide firmware implementation for months now, but updates have come and gone with no change and if it was planned, surely Sony would have said something by now.

I know they never explicitly guaranteed anything, but at the same time I know myself and many other users are feeling pretty pissed off about this now, especially as there seems to be no logical explanation for its omission in many titles, where performance would not be compromised.

I can't think of any reason apart from to push people onto 4k TVs. I realise this makes me sound like some sort of tin foil hat conspiracy theorist, but at this point I've run out of any other reason that this would be happening.

Colbert

Banned
I guess my question is, will xbox x at least have the same enhancements as PRO?

Like, they arent ignoring the X right?

No, I do not think so. But I also understand that they cannot say much about the One X version because of the marketing deal. It is the same with StarWars Battlefront. You won't hear anything until those games releases. I mean they can't say "Just that you know, the game runs at a better res and fidelity on the One X" while marketing the game in cooperation with Sony.

Rellik

At what point can PS4 Pro owners start actually taking some sort of action against Sony for the lack of downsampling on titles considering it was a much touted feature before launch?

I don't mean to come across as self-entitled, but this is way beyond a joke now. People have speculated about a system-wide firmware implementation for months now, but updates have come and gone with no change and if it was planned, surely Sony would have said something by now.

I know they never explicitly guaranteed anything, but at the same time I know myself and many other users are feeling pretty pissed off about this now, especially as there seems to be no logical explanation for its omission in many titles, where performance would not be compromised.

I can't think of any reason apart from to push people onto 4k TVs. I realise this makes me sound like some sort of tin foil hat conspiracy theorist, but at this point I've run out of any other reason that this would be happening.

No one sticks their fingers in their ears quite like Sony.

Basically, we ain't doing shit about it.

With the frame drops occurring during alpha heavy scenes, it's more likely a bandwidth issue, not a CPU one.

Framebuffer is rendered at 1620p and then upscaled to 4K by the engine or system giving you a 4K output.

There are some great implementations of TAA and can do an amazing job at providing a clean image. Uncharted 4 and LL are two great examples.

Yeah, those are great examples, DOOM does it really good too, but a majority of games don't do it properly and look muddy in the process, and if they use a dynamic res, the jagged edges become incredibly noticeable whenever a lot of alpha effects happen and you can see it across the edges of the geometry. Though it's just personal preference, it bothers me a lot and I wish it was optional.

KageMaru

Yeah, those are great examples, DOOM does it really good too, but a majority of games don't do it properly and look muddy in the process, and if they use a dynamic res, the jagged edges become incredibly noticeable whenever a lot of alpha effects happen and you can see it across the edges of the geometry. Though it's just personal preference, it bothers me a lot and I wish it was optional.

Yeah like most things in games, there are good and bad implementations. Another thing to keep in mind regarding alpha effects is when they are rendered at a lower resolution, that can effect any geometry it overlaps, making the resolution seem lower than it really is. The Destiny 2 demo on the PS4 is a good recent example of this.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Should not have believed the hype of an iterative machine. not to say there arent games that downsample, but its obviously for performance reasons and bandwidth consumption that its on a dev by dev and situation by situation basis. the base mode(setting the console to 1080p) and 4K modes are considered two different modes after all that the devs have to set and decide how to optimize.

sony be like "we've got a device for players who care about 1080p support, its called base PS4'

Yeah like most things in games, there are good and bad implementations. Another thing to keep in mind regarding alpha effects is when they are rendered at a lower resolution, that can effect any geometry it overlaps, making the resolution seem lower than it really is. The Destiny 2 demo on the PS4 is a good recent example of this.

Destiny 1 did the same thing too, which is why I'm so grateful that the PC version of 2 exists.

daman824

Seriously this pisses me off. I paid $400 for a pro and shit like this happens? Call of duty is the biggest game releasing this year. Sony needs to figure downsampling out

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
At 3:49 if you look in the upper right you can see the LoD levels shifting on the tree as he moves in and out of the bunker.

wbEMX

- No super sampling for 1080p TV users, straight 1080p turnout.

God fucking damnit. I knew something was odd about the picture quality when I played the Beta on my 1080p set on Pro. It didn't have the awesome sharpness that Horizon, Killing Floor 2 or IW had. Why are they doing this?

thelastword

Banned
Hmmm, since they are already close on pro i wonder if they can hit native on the x
No, 1800p is more likely, not 2160p on XBONEX...

I believe the devs should have gone with 4KCB on pro instead of 1620p, it would look sharper, they would have a better TAA implementation and they would save some gpu cycles, for perhaps a locked 60fps..

Top Bottom