• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Anthem Console First Look: Xbox One X/ PS4 Pro Head-To-Head!

onQ123

It's early days for this one - both in terms of the quality of the code and our analysis of it, but we *did* play Anthem last weekend on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X (with PC to follow) and there are some interesting - and surprising - results. If the situation changes with the new demo, we'll be sure to let you know

SonGoku

Downgrade from e3 footage
Runs like ass on pro but even worse on x
Both seem to be using checkboard res
Summery is unless this game gets a patch hard pass for me.
I can confirm, this game looked impressive graphically and massive in scale at the E3 reveal.
After watching the beta it pales in comparison its looks tiny and constrained, graphics wise looks like a generic Japanese coop game very underwhelming. Gameplay boring and repetitive, shitty mechanics

This game will flop hard, what the heck was EA thinking?

Last edited:
So, another game that needs to be run in 1080p on Pro to get best performance and this even shapes up to be the best way to play it if they don't fix the performance on X. At this point my pro hasn't been running at "4k" for like 7 month because all the games I play run best in 1080p. lol

I might even pick this up used for PS4 if they implement a 30fps cap.

I can confirm, this game looked impressive graphically and massive in scale at the E3 reveal.
After watching the beta it pales in comparison its looks tiny and constrained, graphics wise looks like a generic Japanese coop game very underwhelming. Gameplay boring and repetitive, shitty mechanics

This game will flop hard, what the heck was EA thinking?

Have you actually played it?

onQ123

So, another game that needs to be run in 1080p on Pro to get best performance and this even shapes up to be the best way to play it if they don't fix the performance on X. At this point my pro hasn't been running at "4k" for like 7 month because all the games I play run best in 1080p. lol

Unless there is a cap or the game is CPU or bandwidth limited it's always going to run better at 1080P vs 4K

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
At least we have a public demo today. They might be able to iron out the technical kinks, what I'm more worried about is the core loop. I'm worried that fly to X, shoot group, collect Y, repeat is going to get stale really quickly without some decent Bioware characters/writing.

At least we have a public demo today. They might be able to iron out the technical kinks, what I'm more worried about is the core loop. I'm worried that fly to X, shoot group, collect Y, repeat is going to get stale really quickly without some decent Bioware characters/writing.

It’s a looter shooter. The large appeal of that loop is to, well, loot up.

I’m sure the story is cool too. Expecting ME2 may be unrealistic tho. This isn’t a Mass Effect game, period. It’s Anthem. Enjoy the ride.

Last edited:

SonGoku

Good thing this isn’t a Mass Effect game.

It’s Anthem. Plan accordingly.
Did i say it was? i was responding to the poster who hoped good characters/writing will make up for the uninspired shitty gameplay

This game had potential to be huge but its botched now.

Last edited:
I guess I’m just tired of the “we are mad because BioWare made something new. We want Mass Effect” mentality.

If this game was developed by anyone else it would be getting a more fair shake, IMO

SonGoku

I guess I’m just tired of the “we are mad because BioWare made something new. We want Mass Effect” mentality.

If this game was developed by anyone else it would be getting a more fair shake, IMO
Heck i was all for anthem at the reveal it looked massive in scale.
This looks paired down in graphics, scale and gameplay

Fake

I watched. Yeah, downgrade confirmed guys. PS4pro have an advantage of disable SS and force 1080p via PS4 OS. Some areas can reach 60, but very rare.
Not looking good imo, at least in comparsion with the E3 demo. Richard even suggest the E3 demo could be running in a pc hardware and not Xbox X.

onQ123

I watched it on twitch

What about FP16?

It would still run better at 1080P but about fp16 that might be one of the reasons for the demo running better on PS4 Pro vs Xbox One X if they are using CBR on both consoles. Things will probably change if they optimize for Xbox One X & take advantage of the higher memory bandwidth & so on.

PC is taking advantage of DLSS so that might be the reason that it is running better on PS4 Pro.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The lack of a frame-rate cap on Pro is baffling because, with it, the experience would be quite stable. Hopefully the final includes that as an option.

Watching now...

About 2 minutes in he criticizes the demo hub area vs. the E3 hub area, but...

I'm pretty sure we don't know what the full hub looks like because it's development is part of story progression.

Dibils2k

it looks like 1080p/60fps would be possible on X (comparing to Pro frames at 1080p), hope thats an option at launch

the only time i would choose 60fps over 4K is when the 4k is not stable and "4k" is not even close to stable here

Last edited:
Eh, I had fun and really enjoyed it. Hated Destiny so I'm not worn out on loot shooters and have preferred coop more the last few years.

As for performance, I'll reserve judgment until the game launches, it was just the demo. And speaking of the demo, does the public one go live today?

Last edited:

Toe-Knee

Wow loading screens to enter and exit a simple looking corridor.

I thought this was going to be somewhat seamless

Fake

I watched the video almost three times now. I don't know why tha fck I getting Sonic 2006 vibes LMAO.

Armorian

Banned
Looks like system wide SS option on/off switch was great choice on Pro, another game lets people choose while X1X is locked to SS option only.

It's interesting that both versions looks almost identical and yet Pro performs better (4k output) or much better (1080p), maybe it's infamous FP16 hidden power :p

Last edited:

bilderberg

When you have fps drops like this in a closed environment like the hub, do they just not care about performance? Clearly bioware must know it's dropping. Presumably they come to work from 9-5, the people there must be the least bit competent, but does it just not get brought up? I don't understand how game development just does not fix things like this. Just remove some npc's, lower some shadows; I don't fucking know. This shit drives me mad. I'm convinced developers don't actually play games.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Well I'm going to boot my PS4 Pro into 1080p ss mode off and see if it helps with the frame rate/performance.

Jaw1love

Banned
At this point what the hell do Devs even gain from showing off clearly bullshot reveal demos? Like they know there is going to be a backlash, comparisons and dissection and all that is going to do is lessen people's excitement. Just show us the game as it really is. No one will be mad.

on another note. Shocking to see how bad this game runs with its very average graphics.

bilderberg

At this point what the hell do Devs even gain from showing off clearly bullshot reveal demos? Like they know there is going to be a backlash, comparisons and dissection and all that is going to do is lessen people's excitement. Just show us the game as it really is. No one will be mad.

on another note. Shocking to see how bad this game runs with its very average graphics.

The truth is that they would be mad. It's better for them to just get that initial hype and face the backlash later, than to be forgotten about. First impressions matter.

Jaw1love

Banned
The truth is that they would be mad. It's better for them to just get that initial hype and face the backlash later, than to be forgotten about. First impressions matter.
No way, people are way more pissed when the inevitable downgrade gets revealed/confirmed. They set unrealistic expectations and then spend all their development time looking for ways to paper over peoples disappointment. It's not even like target renders or proof of concepts anymore. They aren't saying hey this is what we are going for. It's just hey here is something you and everyone else knows you won't end up getting. Just show us the actual game, and build up the hype slowly and surely.

Lone Wolf

Is the demo this weekend a newer build than last week? Digital Foundry can say what they want but I played the demo on a PS4 Pro, a One X and a One S. It was best on The One S when I played. I’m thinking maybe this game is a hard pass.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
just played the demo and turned it off after eh 15 min.
forced BS team play fuck that shit legit fuck off let me play my game MYSELF all i was doing was chasing my team mates asses and see who can run at the dot the fastest.

modern gaming man el oh el

bacardi

another game to buy when all the expansions/goty editions are out and they're worth 50% of the initial value ;)

Anthem seems to be poorly optimized for a multi-million dollar new IP.

I have a feeling EA may have rushed certain parts of this game or at least the engine running it.

thelastword

Banned

PRO was never advertised as a "true 4k console", "none of that checkerboard or upscaling type stuff"...... Actually, if you want that or all you can afford is below 4k level with cb or upscaling, get a pro or an XBONES, which competes and compares to a PRO said Phil.......

In any case, I have not watched the video, I will do so when I get home, need to take in all the details at 4K, I hope my friend John Linneman is on this one.......

BTW, originally it was said that XBONEX would be 4k native and PRO would be CB, how did that pan out? Where are the details? OP you have no summary there, whydon'tyou?

bilderberg

No way, people are way more pissed when the inevitable downgrade gets revealed/confirmed. They set unrealistic expectations and then spend all their development time looking for ways to paper over peoples disappointment. It's not even like target renders or proof of concepts anymore. They aren't saying hey this is what we are going for. It's just hey here is something you and everyone else knows you won't end up getting. Just show us the actual game, and build up the hype slowly and surely.

But if this is how the game looks and performs now, what did it "really" look like two years ago? It would probably have been an embarrassment to show it off. Downgrade backlash really isn't important in the grand scheme of things compared to the initial exposure from an e3 unveiling .

onQ123

PRO was never advertised as a "true 4k console", "none of that checkerboard or upscaling type stuff"...... Actually, if you want that or all you can afford is below 4k level with cb or upscaling, get a pro or an XBONES, which competes and compares to a PRO said Phil.......

In any case, I have not watched the video, I will do so when I get home, need to take in all the details at 4K, I hope my friend John Linneman is on this one.......

BTW, originally it was said that XBONEX would be 4k native and PRO would be CB, how did that pan out? Where are the details? OP you have no summary there, whydon'tyou?

Sometimes it's just best to let people see for themselves

Hoping there's an option for XBO:X owners to display in 1080p but with a steady, non-ass framerate.

As for story...the missions in the VIP demo were okay. Hard to follow exactly when they drop you into the middle of story progression, but it's wasn't as bad as the original Destiny's launch story/narration (or have we already forgotten about that droll, Dinklage voice telling us there's a Wizard in the moon?)

I'm going to give it a chance, just because it was fun from a co-op standpoint. But it's EA and the shell of what is left of BioWare. I don't have high expectations. At all.

Last edited:

Jaw1love

Banned
But if this is how the game looks and performs now, what did it "really" look like two years ago? It would probably have been an embarrassment to show it off. Downgrade backlash really isn't important in the grand scheme of things compared to the initial exposure from an e3 unveiling .
I think my point is with games like this development starts off at the wrong place. Obviously I'm not working at Bioware or EA so I don't know what the development cycle is really like but they spend a bunch of time making these tech demos they know they will never ever live up to them and then they scramble to put together something that sort of resembles it. Instead of starting at zero and building their way up. It's like they are working backwards from a point that they knew they would never reach in the first place. This is as bad of a downgrade as watchdogs. This game looks nothing like what they showed at E3. It's generations apart. And backlash over downgrades is always substantial. It kills people's interest in a game. It does a company no favors to put out something like the E3 demo and then try to pretend like that's what the game actually looks like.

Last edited:

sendit

Looks like Sony and Microsoft should change to 2 year upgrade cycles to keep up. :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:
Top Bottom