• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Face-Off: Dragon Age: Inquisition

The only framerate issues I've noticed on PS4 is the terrible cutscene stuff. Gameplay has felt mostly smooth. Laggy sometimes, particularly in the Storm Coast, but to me it feels more like the response time drops without the actual framerate going with it. Its odd but bothers me less. *shrug*

Its disappointing overall but I've come to accept that as just a reality with Bioware and consoles.

Seanspeed

Banned
when you are measuring capabilities and performance for a review, why would you use a 27 inch monitor? why would viewing distance matter?
The measurements were done already. This was in the part about what his recommendation would be to people. And in this situation, since the PS4 version does not have a clear-cut victory in all categories, it becomes sensible to say that it will be up to the user to decide where their priorities lay. Things like display size and viewing distance will be factors for this. It makes sense to take that into account rather than just assuming everybody is the same and has the same viewing situation.

Seanspeed

Banned
Well obviously if it is superior technically it must provide one, otherwise what exactly makes it more demanding?
Well no, that's exactly what my example was disproving. A 27" 4k display from 10 feet away will not provide *any* benefit whatsoever to the user over a 720p display. It will look exactly the same, even though it requires a huge amount more power to run.

After we are clear about that (something the article didn't bother to clarify) you can go with whatever preference you would like, no matter how crazy it is like giving up on more than 30% in favour of a slightly better FPS ;)
The article gives the facts and lets the user make up their mind about what is important to them.

HTupolev

Well no, that's exactly what my example was disproving. A 27" 4k display from 10 feet away will not provide *any* benefit whatsoever to the user over a 720p display. It will look exactly the same, even though it requires a huge amount more power to run.
The displays won't make all that big of a difference in that case, but unless there's no aliasing, the game's internal resolution will.

Hitmeneer

I feel like people would be more content with the conclusion if it were worded in this manner:

After having played and analyzed both console versions of DA: I, it's clear that the Playstation version is pushing much more with a resolution disparity that amounts to roughly 44% while the minor and infrequent dips in frames are more likely to go unnoticed by most, if not simply ignored. The amount of clarity and boost to the overall IQ may not be mindblowing off paper (especially if you're gaming on a high end plasma screen), but it's enough that it lends well to the game's wonderful visuals. Furthermore, DA: I isn't a game that will hugely benefit from an unflinching 30 fps, especially at the sacrifice of the native resolution found in most modern television sets people have at home. While I'm personally one for a no compromise stable frame rate in games (which is why I recommend the PC version above all else) and game on an aforementioned high end plasma screen, I can safely recommend the PS4 version to the average reader. For others like myself which I admit is most likely a small minority, if forced to choose between the console versions, the XBO version offers the most stable frame rate of the two.

Stupid question, is this serious?

It reads as a piece written in fear of ps4 users. With words as pushing, unnoticed and if forced to choose this seems to go to far.

I think Dark10x did a good job. Ps4 has better iq and if you prefer rock solid 30fps its the xbox. Simple. People seem to want to be the ps4 version to be the objective best version, but it's subjective.

My pc has a broken gfx card for a year and I play at 600p and 15-20fps most time. So I'm not picky but lots of people are and that's why we have df.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Returned MCC for Dragon Age at the Microsoft Store, so 900p it is.

I know tech threads always focus on visuals, but did you guys know this has Kinect voice commands? I sure didn't. Guess I'll find out how well it works but it might be handy calling out Inventory, directing my teammates, and shit.

Well, that's my consolation prize for having less "p"s :p

Gurish

The article gives the facts and lets the user make up their mind about what is important to them.
I've already said i don't care about unknown user's set up and preferences, the article shouldn't be bothered by it, it can't, just state the obviously technicaly superior version, after this is clear he can detail the advantage the other version do have (slightly more consistant frame rate) and leave it up to the reader, he can't create an impression that they are equal with a minor advantage to each, that's it and i feel like I'm repeating myself too much, I said all i have to say on this subject, off to bad, good night :)

wachie

I've already said i don't care about unknown user's set up and preferences, the article shouldn't be bothered by it, it can't, just state the obviously technicaly superior version, after this is clear he can detail the advantage the other version do have (slightly more consistant frame rate) and leave it up to the reader, he can't create an impresdion that they are equal with a minor advantage to each, that's it and i feel like I'm repeating myself too much, I said all i have to say on this subject, off to bad, good night :)
This is a good point - corner cases shouldn't be the basis for recommendation.

What's the most popular resolution/size sets in use? What is the most popular resolution used by PC gamers (1080p)?

I've played this game way more than I should have in such a short time period, and I haven't noticed very many drops. Granted I'm not as sensitive as the average GAFer, so use your own discretion.

kitch9

Banned

DF for some reason like to provide "guidance" on what the reader should take notice of and what they shouldn't. So whilst the article may be factually correct it's also full of opinion. They also seem to dwell on certain points to imply importance whilst saying how minor they are briefly.

Seanspeed

Banned
I've already said i don't care about unknown user's set up and preferences
Thankfully the article writer is smart enough to know that this sort of stuff does actually matter. Which is why he leaves it up to the reader to decide what is best for them.

It reads as a piece written in fear of ps4 users. With words as pushing, unnoticed and if forced to choose this seems to go to far.

I think Dark10x did a good job. Ps4 has better iq and if you prefer rock solid 30fps its the xbox. Simple. People seem to want to be the ps4 version to be the objective best version, but it's subjective.

My pc has a broken gfx card for a year and I play at 600p and 15-20fps most time. So I'm not picky but lots of people are and that's why we have df.

I think what is happening is some see that the Xbox One version of a game has a more stable framerate, so they say it's the best choice. In reality, it seems like the dips PS4 games have suffered in these examples often are pretty infrequent, whereas a consistently better picture qualify is found on PS4.

Think of it this way: if I say game A has better visuals but the framerate isn't as consistent as game B, a lot of people would say game be is the definitive version. If I say game A has better visuals, but has a few more framerate dips than B in a game that isn't overly reliant on a steady framerate, wouldn't most people agree game A is the definitive version?

It's all about trying to get an accurate message across.

iMerc

what exactly are people arguing over?
each version of DA appears to be pretty fantastic, and the fact that digital foundry has to 'nitpick' to find anything remotely "dissapointing" speaks volumes in the quality of each version mentioned.

sometimes i feel "digital foundry gamers" are nothing but a negative influence on gaming culture.
you take a gamers passion for said titles and rather than talk about how great the various tech achievements made by the devs are, take & focuses all that energy towards a negative tangent about what they couldn't do.
what is the purpose of this? and how does it contribute to your enjoyment of the game? it doesn't.
especially when the differences are negligible.

i accept there are those who like the comparisons because it's fun to compare things and it's all fairly 'soft punch on the shoulder' light-hearted, but the majority who debate these comparisons take it fairly seriously… to the point where any small minor 'hiccup' automatically means the game is a 'shitty experience"….
WTH? i just don't get it.

I was simply wording it in a way the comments scrutinizing the article would most likely favor. I don't have a problem with the article as is, personally. It's clear enough that I can determine I'd prefer the PS4 version over the Xbone for example. My point is the tone of the article, even if the facts are the same, can rustle some feathers depending on how it's written. This is what I've noticed in a lot of the complaints.

Seanspeed

Banned
what exactly are people arguing over?
each version of DA appears to be pretty fantastic, and the fact that digital foundry has to 'nitpick' to find anything remotely "dissapointing" speaks volumes in the quality of each version mentioned.

sometimes i feel "digital foundry gamers" are nothing but a negative influence on gaming culture.
you take a gamers passion for said titles and rather than talk about how great the various tech achievements made by the devs are, take & focuses all that energy towards a negative tangent about what they couldn't do.
what is the purpose of this? and how does it contribute to your enjoyment of the game? it doesn't.
especially when the differences are negligible.

i accept there are those who like the comparisons because it's fun to compare things and it's all fairly 'soft punch on the shoulder' light-hearted, but the majority who debate these comparisons take it fairly seriously… to the point where any small minor 'hiccup' automatically means the game is a 'shitty experience"….
WTH? i just don't get it.
It is quite depressing that the main takeaway from the article(that the game is technically competent on all platforms) seems to have completely gotten ignored.

Naudi

Banned
I'll take 1080p and 1 or 2 less fps on rare occasions any day. The ps4 has spoiled me for native res. Not sure I've ever played a game my whole life that doesn't have a random instance of frames being dropped so not a big deal. 900 to 1080p on the other hand is noticeable the whole time playing.

Gurish

Thankfully the article writer is smart enough to know that this sort of stuff does actually matter. Which is why he leaves it up to the reader to decide what is best for them.
When did i say the article shouldn't do that? he can leave it to the reader after stating the more technically superior version, from there, to each and his own preference, whatever it is and if it involves a 27" screen that runs in 4K :|
Damn, now I'm really off for now, cya.

I've played this game way more than I should have in such a short time period, and I haven't noticed very many drops. Granted I'm not as sensitive as the average GAFer, so use your own discretion.

I don't think the average GAFer is as sensitive as the average GAFer. I think most of the resolution/framerate bitchers are just looking to score points against their favorite console's competitor.

It's like always something with Digital Foundry when PS4 has an advantage...always.

Last-gen DF had no problem calling a victor even when it was neck and neck.

wachie

When did i say the article shouldn't do that? he can leave it to the reader after stating the more technically superior version, from there, to each and his own preference, whatever it is and if it involves a 27" screen that runs in 4K :|
I like how he threw in the "smart enough" insult in there. You are obviously not smart enough :p

Etnos

Banned
Exactly, so I'm not sure why people are so bent out of shape about him not presenting an "objective viewpoint." He presented a technical analysis, and offered the same data to the readers from which he drew any conclusions he did make, so unless people are actually wanting him to say "ps4 rulez xbox droolz" then there's little object to here. .

my guess is some people won't rest until they write that, which is just sad

Seanspeed

Banned
Or he can just do it the way he did it and its no big deal at all except for a select few people who see this as a competition and really want their team to win.

Synth

Well, we can't think about each and every perception than, just need to state the obvious in a technical analysis: that one version is actually more superior technically, from there if someone is fanatic about FPS and he is willing to give up more than 30% for a slightly more stable experience? be my guest, but it should be known this is the technically inferior version.

The fuck is with all this "30% resolution difference, so emphasize it more" nonsense?

You're basically stating that in order for a 900p game to not be inferior to a 1080p game, the framerate disparity would have to go from constant 30fps locked, to a constant 20fps. Are you seriously trying to suggest that these differences would then be equally perceptible? It simply doesn't work like that. Hell, the same percentage disparity between different resolutions doesn't even work like that...

The article is fine as it is, and many of the people in here complaining simply because it doesn't sufficiently pimp the PS4 are being ridiculous.

i-Lo

Perhaps Bioware could release a patch that would truly "maximize the potential" of ps4 and provide nigh locked 30 fps with whatever compromise is deemed necessary. Parity doesn't seem so bad now...

dragonage.gif

How I feel it goes down with sony:
Dev: we optimized the game to run at 1080p like you requested. However,if you would hear me out as to why I would recommend 900p...
Sony: no we need 1080p on all our games.
Dev: I understand but the game would perform bette.....
SONY: *throws money at them* go away you puppet.

Yep....Cause Sony is forcing devs to push 1080p. Like The Order, their big first party game coming out.....oh wait.

kitch9

Banned
Sounds like a shitty experience on consoles tbh.

After reading the article I could see why some would get that impression. DF made CoD sound like a stuttery lag fest when in fact the game only lost a bit when a specific grenade was thrown which totally obscured the screen with a red flash anyway making the drop undetectable to the user.

I was surprised to buy the game after being put off to be presented with one of the best running Cods I've played on any console.

Then you get user impressions that say the opposite...

Holy balls, 20 pages on this? If you prefer a better image and can deal with spare dropped frames than buy the PS4 version, if you are sensitive to dropped frames and don't care about the increase in image quality then buy the Xbox One version, what else is their to worry about? The article is pretty straight forward, based on their findings pick which one suits you most. I've sunk 13 hours into the PS4 version of this game and although it does drop frames, it's so infrequent that it's a non issue for me, but if you can't stand them at all then buy the Xbox One version.

Hitmeneer

The fuck is with all this "30% resolution difference, so emphasize it more" nonsense?

You're basically stating that in order for a 900p game to not be inferior to a 1080p game, the framerate disparity would have to go from constant 30fps locked, to a constant 20fps. Are you seriously trying to suggest that these differences would then be equally perceptible? It simply doesn't work like that. Hell, the same percentage disparity between different resolutions doesn't even work like that...

The article is fine as it is, and many of the people in here complaining simply because it doesn't sufficiently pimp the PS4 are being ridiculous.

I agree.

Like I said before the article is quite neutral. Some pople wanted to hear that the iq difference is massive, while the fps drops are unnoticeable and rarely occurring. But this is not the case according to Dark10x. Instead people act like he said that the iq difference is negligible while the fps are frequent and massive.

There is no clear winner, because it comes down to personal preference. The drop in iq/p to get more stable fps seems to be a reasonable trade off in this case.

The 40% more pixels seems to be used to make it look like the game looks 40% better. Which is weird and incorrect. The article also doesn't say frame drops till 10% because it would make it seem worse. Yes the ps4 is more powerful and yes should achieve better gfx, but developers will make decisions that lead to different kind of results iq and fps wise.

Rwinterhalter

Neo Member
Holy balls, 20 pages on this? If you prefer a better image and can deal with spare dropped frames than buy the PS4 version, if you are sensitive to dropped frames and don't care about the increase in image quality then buy the Xbox One version, what else is their to worry about? The article is pretty straight forward, based on their findings pick which one suits you most. I've sunk 13 hours into the PS4 version of this game and although it does drop frames, it's so infrequent that it's a non issue for me, but if you can't stand them at all then buy the Xbox One version.

Shhh...you'll disturb their tinfoil hats.

zoukka

I would honestly choose a better framerate even with shit IQ. It's that jarring especially with games where you manipulate the camera yourself.

I would honestly choose a better framerate even with shit IQ. It's that jarring especially with games where you manipulate the camera yourself.

Bioware games tend to have more juddering then you'd want, especially when panning the camera. First thing I'll check is precisely that, even if it's ''30 fps locked''.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The definitive second place winner of the DF competition is always very important around here.

I found it quite jittery last night when I gave it a go for half an hour on my ps4. It was downloading a couple of game patches in the background, however I put it down to the fact Id just finished Bayo 2 and the drop in frame rate had exacerbated the slightly disappointing performance.

I logged again today and rerolled as a Mage and found the same sequence a good deal less choppy. Is it likely this was due to the sizeable patches I was downloading in the background or more likely that I noticed the jitteriness more because Id been playing Bayo? I don't tend to notice a few frames being dropped here and there in general, however Bayo did feel really smooth in comparison.

Agreed.

Although if you're that sensitive to dropped frames, get a gaming PC and the PC version of the game, because as the DF videos show, both current gen console versions suffer from frame dips.

Gah, all this talk about this game made me look up some videos on it (mostly to make the gif on the previous page), which made me want it. But I don't have time to play a long-ass RPG.

Maybe I should quit school...

Edit: Is this the type of game you can play for an hour at a time every few days without losing the flow of what's going on?

Top Bottom