• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Final Fantasy 16 - PlayStation 5 - Tech Review

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Thats what you will get when you want 60 fps for next gen games. Star wars drops to 600p.

jedis-xsx-perf-s2jrf4fef0t.png

yeah ...

Damn, they’ve really sh*t the bed on performance w/my two most anticipated releases. First JS and now this. So 720p is the new 4k, eh? We’re targeting Switch performance on the ps5? Ffs

Kataploom

Gold Member
Definitely waiting for a PC port, I'm ok with 1440p but it should be native and not dynamic... And won't compromise frame rate just for resolution though, this game seems to fall into a pit of too bad IQ to me (and I'm not THAT demanding on IQ) or bad frame rate.

FSR is ok getting you to 4k from a decent internal resolution but 720p upscaled with FSR can look worse than native 720p as soon as the camera moves so unless you stay completely still at all times you're going to have a bad time.
Idk…I played through the entirety of the demo twice in performance mode and everything felt and looked good to me, aside from the occasional bigger drops in frame rate. I’m also not a huge resolution guy normally, so that could be it as well. I just definitely don’t see 720p anywhere though, at least not in the Switch type sense 🤷‍♂️

PeteBull

0 surprise, its ps5 exclusive so no excuses of last gen /weak pc specs bringing it down, we simply need ps5pr0 to play this game properlly in 60fps and decent res(which in this case would probably be 1080p native upscaled by fsr to 4k ).

Many of us keep forgetting but 500$ closed boxes that launched back in nov 2020 dont have unlimited power.

PeteBull

I’m fine with 30 fps if we get a good resolution with good visual effects.
Good isnt very clear, and can mean very different things for different ppl, gotta be specific here, for example ue5 demo ran at 1440p30fps.

Last edited:

Kacho

0 surprise, its ps5 exclusive so no excuses of last gen /weak pc specs bringing it down, we simply need ps5pr0 to play this game properlly in 60fps and decent res(which in this case would probably be 1080p native upscaled by fsr to 4k ).

Many of us keep forgetting but 500$ closed boxes that launched back in nov 2020 dont have unlimited power.
Yep, sad that we're already begging for Pro consoles but it's time if you care about performance.

Darsxx82

This happens on both systems. Star Wars.

Stars Wars use FSR 2 which is much better in scaling quality (and also more demanding in fps).

Getting to such low resolutions makes sense when using FSR 2, but not when using FSR 1. PS: 720p FSR 2 equates to ~1200-1300p FSR1 on performance demand.
Which is why RT should be optional and not forced in these modes.
There is a good chance that RT is not being used

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Well at least they gave you…. OPTIONS.

🤣
Yeah there’s something deeply meta about this game having a Performance mode that you should absolutely not use in order to have the most enjoyable experience.

And it shows it’s only a matter of time before Performance modes on consoles disappear from most new AAA games.

GymWolf

So how do you explain other games looking on par or better and having locked 60 modes? (With one of them being a big open world game)

Ff16 is not the right game to push pro consoles (and i'm the first one who want a pro console), it just show how lazy some devs are.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Reading the conclusions with more attention, I don't understand what's happening with performance mode, specially after playing the demo.

Sure, during it I could see some framedrops here and there, but for the most part it was crispy clean and performed well.

Anyway, I'm gonna start the game on Performance Mode with VRR enabled like I did in the demo.

Last edited:

nikos

I'm hyped and already bought the game but the console limitations are such a shame. Quality mode is not playable to me. Performance mode is lacking in both performance and visual fidelity.

Really wish we had a simultaneous PC release but I'm not going to wait for that.

Zathalus

Fucking 720p, 1080p, 1440p and people have the gall to say we don't need pro consoles?

Get the fuck outta here, I need a PS5 Pro asap.
To be fair, if it was a PC/PS5 release 4k would have been ours. Maybe even with some sweet DLAA sprinkled on top.

Alas, 30fps or 720p is our lot.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I’ll be playing in Performance mode. The Quality mode motion blur was way too overwhelming for me. Despite the lower res, Performance mode looked cleaner in high motion scenes(i.e. combat).

1080p-1440p using FSR1 to 4k at a near rock solid 30fps for quality mode.

Performance mode is significantly rougher, 720p-1080p with drops to 30fps. Combat is usually 60fps but resolution is 720p in that mode, but the larger Eikon fights still drop to the 30s.

I'm certainly going to play this in quality.
720p, OUchhhhhh

GHG

To be fair, if it was a PC/PS5 release 4k would have been ours. Maybe even with some sweet DLAA sprinkled on top.

Alas, 30fps or 720p is our lot.

Well it's been abundantly clear that these consoles aren't powerful enough for a while now, as if it wasn't already apparent to those of us who already had PS5/series X equivalent hardware on PC (my previous card before I upgraded was a 2070 Super and it really wasn't fun trying to push 4k on that card towards the end of last year, even with DLSS).

Just give us the pro consoles so that those who want clean image quality along with decent framerates on console exclusives can have it.

I'll play in quality mode for now and if I like the game enough I'll go again at 60fps 4k when the PC version releases. Just don't be epic exclusive ffs.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Good luck with all of that
What? Getting it for that price? Easily enough, the 6800XT is like $500 while the CPU can be found for $140. Everything else is cheap as well.

Performance shouldn't be a problem either, 16GB VRAM and a GPU that is 60-70% faster then the PS5 should handle anything thrown at it.

A $2000 PC scales up to 4080 levels which will effortlessly run this game

GreyHand23

So how do you explain other games looking on par or better and having locked 60 modes? (With one of them being a big open world game)

Ff16 is not the right game to push pro consoles (and i'm the first one who want a pro console), it just show how lazy some devs are.
Has nothing to do with laziness and calling devs lazy needs to stop. Most likely it’s a limitation of their engine which appears to be a modified version of the FF14 engine. It’s not really designed for this type of game.

Nautilus

Banned
Kind of a mess tecnically, but one thing this game does right is the graphics. Square Enix has always been good on that front.

Top Bottom