• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Google Stadia Specs Analysis + Exclusive Performance Testing

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job

CPU: Custom 2.7GHz Hyper Threaded CPU
GPU: AMD 56 CU's. 10.7TFlops
Memory: 16GB HBM2 484GB/s bandwidth
Storage: SSD Cloud storage

Last edited:

Ma-Yuan

No chance i can use that nor am i interested. On bad days netflix looks soaped here and blurry as hell :D

GermanZepp

Well, i want to know the price of playing games with Stadia if >100 usd and you don't need a megafast internet connection i would bite, i'm already paying $60 a year for PSplus for games iím not interest in. Time will tell i guess.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Custom CPU? Now release that as a console, Google.

Call it Google Stadia Home or something.

Google Stadia Building a game platform for everyone*

Everyone who has super stable high speed internet with no data caps.

I have good internet and not remotely interested in streaming my games.

JCK75

How likely I am to get it depends solely on price, if it's like $15 a month or less and I get a health selection of games I'd absolutely do it just to play some games conveniently, but if I have to buy games, or pay some crazy price like on other streaming services.. forget it.

DanielsM

Banned
Just looks like a very restricted VD at this point, unless the price is way below market prices (meaning Google takes a major loss) and no real windows desktop, and you are restricted on how you can move your games - this is worse than the other services already available, generally speaking.

How likely I am to get it depends solely on price, if it's like $15 a month or less and I get a health selection of games I'd absolutely do it just to play some games conveniently, but if I have to buy games, or pay some crazy price like on other streaming services.. forget it.

The hardware alone is going to cost you $10-30 a month, let alone the games. A VD on Shadow Tech which has significantly less power cost $29.95 a month that is without games or software.

Last edited:

Daymos

Looks like it's time to build my gaming bunker... buy all the discs and cartridges that I can fit in my house! I'm sure my wife will understand.

Xyphie

Zen CCX = 8MB shared L3 cache + 4x512kB L2 cache = 10MB. If one core per CCX is reserved/disabled that gets you to 9.5MB total cache for one instance. Which would mean a 3C/6T processor. Is RAM really 16GB HBM2 and not 8GB HBM2+8GB DDR4? Dev site says "16 GB of RAM with up to 484 GB/s of performance", vague language.

Edit: Guess for specs of one server.

2x EPYC 7500/7400 (32 or 24 cores) with 3C/6T per instance thus giving you 8 users per server. Also lines up with 128x (128x/16x = 8 GPUs) PCIe 3.0 lanes for 2x EPYC. Highest-end Xeon is only 48x PCIe lanes per CPU, so EPYC seems like a good choice in this case.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
No chance i can use that nor am i interested. On bad days netflix looks soaped here and blurry as hell :D
dude and everyone THIS.
Imagine a bad day or friday with high peaks. And you want to play a game.
suddenly your 10.7 tflops console. starts to scale to 720p.

4k netflix is not as good as at home 4k uhd discs ,

i do not trust this shit right now.

DanielsM

Banned
We don't have any pricing yet. I think the only way this works is if it's cheap.

Not only cheap (for the VD) but how do you purchase games, it looks like its basically a modified Linux its running on. If you purchase a game, probably no way of getting it back out.

This lacked any details at all.

Last edited:

nkarafo

I don't trust other people handling my games or anything else i buy.

I don't trust anything i don't maintain myself.

Convenience is great and all but i wouldn't sacrifice having control over my stuff for it.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I do find it fascinating that it is a streaming solution (And apparently works on lower resolution devices per DF) but that for the backend they have gone with typical decisions you would expect out of a console:
  • Custom CPU
  • Custom GPU
  • Shared memory
It reminds me of Microsoft's cloud solution where the backend is made up out of Xbox One architecture in a chassis, but it has me thinking.. if clients can be stacked, it does suggest that a client can function on its own, basically a console.

Id love to see shots of the hardware, its custom nature is basically the only thing that really excites me from this news. Its like the Zplus story all over again.

Larxia

This makes me so sad...
I can't tell you how I felt when reading all these titles about a first "big" entry in the cloud gaming market... It really hit me.
I mean I was expecting it, sure, but it really saddens me to see it actually happening, I can't believe how some people want to push cloud gaming, and how some others are accepting it...

Cloud gaming is a really, really bad thing in my opinion, it has so many negatives, and I can't understand how someone would be willing to play on just a video feed, giving up on something unique that was special about real time 3D : Lossless picture quality, no compression, instant output, something that doesn't exist in movies, or pictures, or music, or whatever, just clear, raw image directly on your monitor, and saying that, I'm already starting to imagine this sounding like some magic thing in a future world where this doesn't exist anymore.
Plus all the obvious things like games disappearing into void when they are removed from a service, latency and all that stuff we know about.

And what really terrifies me is that, maybe many of us aren't into that, because we grew up we better standards, but what about today or tomorrow's kids? They will grow up with terrible quality standard and just be used to it, and this could lead to a world with only low stuff like this.

It's just terrible, I hate it.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Lotta close minded folks in here who are afraid of change. As an aspiring creator this sounds fantastic to me. It doesnt have to be the de facto gaming experience of choice, but if cheap, it would make the best compliment to any console owner who would like to play their games on the go.

I would get this day 1 if cheap, and wait for my Xbox or Playstation next gen. Not sure which I'll go with yet though the controller alone makes me lean Xbox. Sony does have that asymmetrical controller though now....but Xbox has a better community and network...but playstation has better exclusives...but Xbox has more consumer friendly practices...but playstation has better exclusives....

Last edited:

nkarafo

I can't believe how some people want to push cloud gaming, and how some others are accepting it...
Laziness.

You'd be surprised how many are willing to sacrifice quality and having control over their stuff for the sake of convenience.

DanielsM

Banned
Lotta close minded folks in here who are afraid of change. As an aspiring creator this sounds fantastic to me. It doesnt have to be the de facto gaming experience of choice, but if cheap, it would make the best compliment to any console owner who would like to play their games on the go.

I would get this day 1 if cheap, and what for my Xbox or Playstation next gen. Not sure which I'll go with yet though the controller alone makes me lean Xbox. Sony does have that asymmetrical controller though now....but Xbox has a better community and network...but playstation has better exclusives...but Xbox has more consumer friendly practices...but playstation has better exclusives....

If there is something better and cheaper, and long-term sustainable - nothing necessarily wrong with change. (Game streaming has been around a long-time, the customer isn't wrong)

Cloud is nothing really new, although there are some services that run in the cloud that are newer. Generally, modern computing went from central processing (IBM mainframes) to personal computers, this is what lead to the rise of Apple and Microsoft for example, generally speaking. We are generally going backwards to central processing which is the old IBM mainframe setup. There can be some good with this, but just like in the case of IBM, there can be some very bad things.

I generally consider this the old way of processing.

Not only cheap (for the VD) but how do you purchase games, it looks like its basically a modified Linux its running on. If you purchase a game, probably no way of getting it back out.

This lacked any details at all.

It's not a VD, they said it's a sub in the conference.

NickFire

Wake me up when they test games like RDR2 (both modes), The Division 2, Destiny 2, COD (most recent), etc., while using a cable company's most popular residential data package (like Comcast or Verizon) on a Friday night or Saturday afternoon, and/or Christmas morning. Those will be the tests that make or break this offering IMO.

Last edited:

manfestival

Cloud gaming is no thank you. Physical is super important. Yes, the biggest sales come from these "advanced" markets. However, I even struggle at times to play normal games on my so called faster internet. I do not want to try streaming a game that I then would have to play and have that kind of communication going back and forth between those devices so far off from each other for latency purposes(my latency at times can be awful). This experience is multiplied... sometimes many times over when I am on the move or in another location all together(I travel out of the country).

but props to google, I welcome any face to this end of gaming. They have their ways but this is definitely new territory for them. The more the merrier.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Laziness.

You'd be surprised how many are willing to sacrifice quality and having control over their stuff for the sake of convenience.

It's not really about convenience for me...it's about functionality. Stadia could be a fantastic tool for creators. That's a major selling point for me.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I'm skeptical because the quality I've experienced even with Steam in-home streaming with high bitrates has been underwhelming. And I have good wired networking not a flaky wi-fi. Not for me but there might be a market for it if the the library is generous enough.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
This is some interesting stuff, but the concept of cloud gaming won’t ever replace local hardware until

1) People don’t have to worry about bandwidth
2)Everyone has way better internet speeds than they do now.

So while this may be pretty good in the distant future, it’s nothing more than a tech experiment in the modern day climate, until proven otherwise.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
"Stadia could be a fantastic tool for creators"
How so?
I like the idea of being able to livestream on youtube and having built in functionality to have your viewers be able to jump in with you or for you to be able to create challenges for viewers to interact with by basically saving the state of your game. The fact that the game has "instant access" means these tasks could be carried out seamlessly during a live stream, which is absolutely fantastic to me. I could be playing Tekken, and host my own livestream lobby with viewers and take on all challengers for prizes in a giveaway or something. It just provides an integrated way to bond with your community. Nobody else has that right now.

Larxia

Not even consoles have that.

In this video there is an instance where streaming has got the same latency as Xbox One X.

Sorry to bring you down from your castle of clouds.
I didn't mean it for the input lag, I meant it for the image quality, with real hardware the image is rendered in real time and directly sent to your screen with no compression, instead of being compressed into a video signal and then sent. There's a big difference.

I'm in no castles or whatever.

Makariel

Yeah sure, I'm going to bring a controller with google assist into my living room that is probably always on and listening to me :p

DanielsM

Banned
I like the idea of being able to livestream on youtube and having built in functionality to have your viewers be able to jump in with you or for you to be able to create challenges for viewers to interact with by basically saving the state of your game. The fact that the game has "instant access" means these tasks could be carried out seamlessly during a live stream, which is absolutely fantastic to me. I could be playing Tekken, and host my own livestream lobby with viewers and take on all challengers for prizes in a giveaway or something. It just provides an integrated way to bond with your community. Nobody else has that right now.

Basically PS share play, although you would have to probably have to invite via PSN. (For the record, I've never used PS Share). Not sure if you can Twitch and Share at the same time, but I always thought this wasn't a very used feature anyway. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with your desire of the feature, just trying to understand what you mean by "creators". I think there is a few neat features that expand on PS Now or other service providers.
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/ps4/share-play/

Last edited:

tkscz

It's not really about convenience for me...it's about functionality. Stadia could be a fantastic tool for creators. That's a major selling point for me.

Creator vs end user. You're seeing it from the perspective that it will be easier for your work to get out to the public as you would not have to worry about things like specs and hardware, anyone can run it. However, you're not thinking about how an end user would see it. Tons of people have data caps for faster internet. Some people have slow internet, it removes a sense of personal investment (you don't own the product you just bought and if the streaming service wants to take it away, they can). Security will also always be an issue.

There are multiple ways to see this.

Top Bottom