• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - In Theory: Could Sony release PlayStation 5 in 2018?

Vashetti

Banned
I really doubt there'll be a discrete GPU. As others have said, it's much easier to cool and manage power consumption with it all in an APU.

AmyS

Except that makes no sense. There are many benefits from an APU for console developers with the unified memory such as memory management and latency for CPU<->GPU algorithms as long as deal with the bandwidth issues.

I know, you are correct.

I think PS5 and a future Xbox will be built around AMD's concept "Exascale MEGA APU", a testbed which was described in an academic paper not that long ago.

1QbfSlh.png

Ayqjc05.jpg

linkage:
http://www.computermachines.org/joe/publications/pdfs/hpca2017_exascale_apu.pdf
http://www.netlib.org/utk/people/JackDongarra/CCDSC-2016/slides/talk05-brantley.pdf

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5vdin8/amd_reveals_a_exascale_mega_apu_in_a_new_academic/
https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cp...a_exascale_mega_apu_in_a_new_academic_paper/1

Right now this new "Mega APU" is currently in early design stages, with no planned release date. It is clear that this design uses a new GPU design that is beyond Vega, using a next-generation memory standard which offers advantages over both GDDR and HBM.

Building a large chip using several smaller CPU and GPU dies is a smart move from AMD, allowing them to create separate components on manufacturing processes that are optimised and best suited to each separate component and allows each constituent piece to be used in several different CPU, GPU or APU products.

For example, CPUs could be built on a performance optimised node, while the GPU clusters can be optimised for enhanced silicon density, with interposers being created using a cheaper process due to their simplistic functions that do not require cutting edge process technology.

This design method could be the future of how AMD creates all of their products, with both high-end and low-end GPUs being made from different numbers of the same chiplets and future consoles, desktop APUs and server products using many of the same CPU or GPU chiplets/components.

The Processor In Memory (PIM) is also really interesting.

Imagine PS4 being PS1, a fresh start and very, very easy to program/develop for. PS5 should share the same basic architectures (x86 CPU, AMD GPU) but increase performance as much as possible, and be directly back compatible with all current physical and digital games that run on PS4 / PS4 Pro.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I could see this being a good solution for a Pro version of the PS5.

VillageBC

PS5 with complete backwards compatibility with PS4. Ala' drop in a disc and I can play then I don't care when they launch the PS5. Otherwise get off my lawn.

Melchiah

Nop. Only the minority buys a new console year one.
It wouldn't be 6 years for everyone.

The same could be said about every generation. A friend of mine bought a PS3 in 2011/2012, and was disappointed that the PS4 was released so soon after that. It only goes to show, that personal purchase dates can't be used as a metric.

newbong95

how about ps5 as a platform includes both a 720p/1080p portable and a 4k/8k home console ? Same base architecture of the APU but different power envelopes . Developers need to target the portable version first and then scale the game to 4k on home console variant . Portable one replaces base ps4 with a dock for lower resolution TVs and Home console goes premium . Home Console does ps4 backwards compatibility .

Melchiah

They seem to be doing ok, don't get me wrong it's still hit and miss and it was a first for them in console space.
We already started the PC-clone ecosystem or whatever you want to call it, see PS4Pro and Scorpio...options.

Pro came out three years after the original though, not two.

Vashetti

Banned
how about ps5 as a platform includes both a 720p/1080p portable and a 4k/8k home console ? Same base architecture of the APU but different power envelopes . Developers need to target the portable version first and then scale the game to 4k on home console variant . Portable one replaces base ps4 with a dock for lower resolution TVs and Home console goes premium . Home Console does ps4 backwards compatibility .

Mobile tech isn't anywhere near the point of doing PS4-level stuff without burning through a battery in 10 minutes and/or overheating.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

That sounds needlessly complicated and makes no sense, as it handicaps the PS5's abilities.

I think people are going to have to deal with the fact that Nintendo owns the handheld space and there's nothing Sony could do about it.

Nintendo hit it out of the park with the Switch basic concept of melding their handheld and portable visions together despite early skepticism.

newbong95

Taking the resolution No.s and xbox one s and scorpio compute capabilities(same games running on similar settings with resolution as a variable) .... doing some rough math

1st estimation
4K - 6 TF
720p - 0.66 TF

2nd estimation
1080P - 1.3TF
720P - 0.58TF

Say we get around 0.7-0.8 TF with new architectural improvements and minimum of 2.5-3hrs of battery life , Can't sony pull a playstation portable in a mid sized tablet formfactor ?

Vashetti

Banned
Taking the resolution No.s and xbox one s and scorpio compute capabilities(same games running on similar settings with resolution as a variable) .... doing some rough math

1st estimation
4K - 6 TF
720p - 0.66 TF

2nd estimation
1080P - 1.3TF
720P - 0.58TF

Say we get around 0.7-0.8 TF with new architectural improvements and minimum of 2.5-3hrs of battery life , Can't sony pull a playstation portable in a mid sized tablet formfactor ?

Sony is done in the handheld space man, just let it go.

I love(d) my Vita, but Sony just won't devote the first party resources to it.

If you want a handheld, stick with Nintendo.

Black_Wolf

Neo Member
Maybe, and technological advancement is always good, but on a more practical side, these current consoles have barely started establishing their footing yet. I mean, the PS4 came out in 2013, and it wasn't until 2015 that we saw true next gen games come out (i.e. not cross-gen games that clearly weren't fully utilizing the power of the new hardware). The same could be said about the Xbox.

Early adopters will jump on board all the same, but most people I know buy systems for mileage, and I don't think that two years of "true next gen" is enough for people to feel like they got a return on their investment and hop onto another system (which will go through the same initial year or two of "drought").

Inuhanyou

Arbitrary standards like "2 years of true next gen" don't really help your argument friend :l its just a fact that this gen has gone on for 3 and a half years now :l

Black_Wolf

Neo Member
It's not really arbitrary - we were getting remasters and cross-gen games that did little to take advantage of the new hardware for the better part of the first year or two of this generation. Things didn't really start picking up until a couple of years into the generation.

Most people that I know / are within my network aren't going to willingly hop onto another console in a year because they don't feel they've gotten enough out of this generation yet.

It wouldn't get cut short. Like some posts have mentioned, the PS3 just ended production.

It didn't just halt sales when the PS4 came out.

As long as it's priced good it could still hit 100 million if the PS5 comes out sooner instead of later.

Ps4's momentum would be severely slowed down if its successor released next year or even 2019. So if Ps5 did release this early, Ps4's 100m mark would take a very long time.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's not really arbitrary - we were getting remasters and cross-gen games that did little to take advantage of the new hardware for the better part of the first year or two of this generation. Things didn't really start picking up until a couple of years into the generation.

With iterative consoles released like iPhones you could see things never really pick up :/... let's hope they stop at this current console, console 1.5, console 2, console 2.5, etc... cadence... any more frequent and we will get far too long cross generation periods...

Fredrik

With iterative consoles released like iPhones you could see things never really pick up :/... let's hope they stop at this current console, console 1.5, console 2, console 2.5, etc... cadence... any more frequent and we will get far too long cross generation periods...
Yeah I really don't like this upgrade trend. Makes it feel dumb to go in day 1 because if you wait 2-3 years you know you'll get much more for your money, but if you go in LTTP at the Pro launch you'll soon start to worry about how far off the next generation is which will be even better.

I used to like consoles because you knew you would have the best hardware there is for the exclusives for the next 5-7 years.

Now it feels like I'm playing the waiting game just like with PC tech. Do I buy now or do I wait and buy the next hardware?
I don't have a Pro yet and with the current talk about PS5 it seems better to wait, but when PS5 is out maybe it's better to wait for PS5Pro instead? *sigh*

Vashetti

Banned
Yeah I really don't like this upgrade trend. Makes it feel dumb to go in day 1 because if you wait 2-3 years you know you'll get much more for your money, but if you go in LTTP at the Pro launch you'll soon start to worry about how far off the next generation is which will be even better.

I used to like consoles because you knew you would have the best hardware there is for the exclusives for the next 5-7 years.

Now it feels like I'm playing the waiting game just like with PC tech. Do I buy now or do I wait and buy the next hardware?
I don't have a Pro yet and with the current talk about PS5 it seems better to wait, but when PS5 is out maybe it's better to wait for PS5Pro instead? *sigh*

Pick a cycle to stick to:

i.e. PS4 > PS5
or PS4 Pro > PS5 Pro

as (some) people do currently with iPhones

i.e. iPhone 6 > iPhone 7
or iPhone 6s > iPhone 7s

skip the middle releases of your chosen cycle

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

What is worst is that you would be pretty much guaranteed software that does. It take advantage of the system features until more and more years down the line depending on how frequently systems are released (and by then actually the latest console may still be better at playing the game in question as it smooths out the framerate/glitches that came with developers pushing a legacy platform harder when the users are starting to transition off too).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Pick a cycle to stick to:

i.e. PS4 > PS5
or PS4 Pro > PS5 Pro

i.e. iPhone 6 > iPhone 7
or iPhone 6s > iPhone 7s

skip the middle releases of your chosen cycle

Cross generation titles period lengthening and software not taking advantage of generations (Sony at least is sticking to generations luckily :)) does not have anything to do with how you decide to upgrade on phones. The day you buy your latest iPhone is not the day you and the third party apps you rely on make the most out of it...

Planet

Oh, I skipped a lot more iPhones than that. In fact, I skipped all of them! :p

Consoles are not exactly like smartphones, game development works different, too. They are much more specialized to games, the games are much more optimized exactly to the specific device.

What you describe matches PC gaming a lot better, skipping every other graphics card generation.

PSOreo

I honestly can't see 2018 as a reasonable window to release a new generation of consoles. Like many others who have said the same; I feel like we still have yet to see some of the best games the current systems have to offer. 2020 seems more reasonable somehow...wait PS4 came out in 2013? Has it really been that long already?

Shin

Banned
It's ironic that Cerny highlights CPU as a criteria.

Haha this is what stood out when I re-read it last night, he knows very well what's wrong with the current consoles.
Another interesting thing is that he specifically said that a 8TF machine wouldn't be viable this year cost wise.
Wallstreet Journal ran with the quote from Damian Thong, AFAIK WSJ is a reputable site that doesn't run articles without having multiple sources and/or considered trustworthy.

conman

Man, I hope not. This is the first generation I remember (I've been gaming since Atari 2600) where I wish manufacturers would take a knee and slow down the cycles for a few more years.

I just don't see a need or a reason. Game dev tools have been democratizing over the past few years (Unity, etc.) which has flattened the tech leaps. And even those games that do push the tech boundaries seem to be hitting diminishing returns. It's simply too expensive and time consuming for dev studios to push the tech too far at this point. Absent some new UI gimmick, I think they should ride this out as far as possible.

It's ironic that Cerny highlights CPU as a criteria. Isn't cell superior to Jaguar in some ways?
SIMD-wise, yes (more flops). MIPS-wise, no. Cell has worse single-threaded performance, despite the frequency advantage...

If Jaguar could run at 3.2 GHz, it would easily surpass Cell in everything. It could even allow 60 fps gaming (as long as 30 fps games were made with Jaguar @ 1.6 GHz in mind).

Here's a quote from Shawn Layden immediately after PS4P reveal, might give some insight .

As for 2018, you're looking at the following that will be available and/or for mass production.
It would also be 2 years after PS4P and if R&D did start <2015 it fits the 3 year Cerny mentioned.

• 7nm
  • Ryzen 2
  • Vega+
  • Ryzen/Vega APU
  • GDDR6
  • HDMI 2.1

I think this is/should be the minimum they aim for. Anything less is a failure.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I think this is/should be the minimum they aim for. Anything less is a failure.

Seeing how cheap Ryzen is vs Intel chips, it should be Ryzen. Easily.

Next gen is gonna be nice. They could probably ride with Ryzen for many, many years.

If so then they can patch select PS4 titles to be compatible with PS5.

Same way Xbox One patches Xbox 360 games compatibility with Xbox One.

Patch all the good games from PS4 to PS5. Leave crap like Evolve behind...

But they must invest a lot in this and it must be lots of titles and very quick. If it can access some of PS5 power and enhance PS4 games that would be even better

Instead of providing full BC, something that the executive in OP said to be a waste of time, you are proposing an even costlier solution of creating ports for each individual game. That's even more likely to not be supported, unless there's extreme demand for it.

And the further enhancements you talk about are already supported on Xbox with UWP, developers can already create games that go past the performance of Scorpio for when the next Xbox arrives they already run better. That also has a better chance of being supported while the game is being developed (specially since it might have a PC version that's ahead of any console anyway)

A lot of people misinterpreted this statement somehow. he wasn't talking about breaking architecture compatibility which would make no sense anyway because of him and Sony praising x86 to high heaven.

They were talking about the concept of generations being that software development is clearly broken off from generation to generation to aim for a brand new hardware standard in development fidelity for gaming, aka you break off making PS3 level games at some point to focus on maximizing the abilities of the hardware for the PS4 exclusives ect

The exact opposite of what we're seeing now with Pro just playing the exact same games as PS4 but marginally higher res or FPS.

Now i do belie PS5 will be BC with PS4/Pro games, and Sony will make a concerted effort for that. So in that respect it will take pressure off of devs to move to the PS5 level hardware standard right away and they can continue on making XB1/PS4/Pro/Scorpio games off of the userbase similar to traditional crossgen periods, but eventually PS5 and XB2 or whatever will become the new baseline, and i suspect that is how they will treat console generations moving forward

I know that comment doesn't straight up means that Ps5 isn't going to be BC, but we also must consider that Sony couldn't even expose the full gpu upgrade to PS4 games, the boost mode exposes only the newer clocks (and even that was after a few months of development to get it running). So chances are, if Ps5 is a technology breakthrough from Pro, for instance having Zen, chances are BC are a no go. (They even have a patent for a chip disabling new stuff for not breaking compatibility that tells a lot on how Pro was developed with that goal in mind, but imagine a Ps5 being hold back by the silicon needed to support Ps4 games, versus a new xbox that Ms can go all bonkers on the hardware because the games will run anyway?)

So, with the state of Ps4 development, that apparently is super tied to the hardware, that declaration for Cerny, and now this it's adding up evidence that Sony does not plan to offer BC for Ps4 on Ps5, or it's not viable for them to do so, or they don't want to spent the resources needed for it
(Though I believe that Ps5 going forward will be engineered so games are fully compatible).

shandy706

No thanks. Let this generation play out for a while.

I want massively more powerful hardware to be available for the next-generation.

I'd be happy with 2020 at the earliest.

I want 15-20TF systems minimum.

Shin

Banned
They could probably ride with Ryzen for many, many years.

If they stick with AMD and that's very likely I'd say it will be Ryzen2+ or 3 (if it launches 2019).
The big question is are they going to cheap out on the CPU and go with the mobile version to save cost/power or will they use a desktop version in a APU.
The CPU/GPU in PS3 and PS4 amounted for about $100 in 2009/2013 respectively (just random information but CPU/GPU and RAM are the biggest cost).

Could probably figure the theoretical bandwidth of the system (assuming they use GDDR6, because let's be real every manufacturer is pushing that instead of HBM).
1.35v with stacks of 8Gb (32GB total) that's somewhere around 1280 - 1792Gb/s on a 768 or 1024-bit bus (Scorpio is pushing GDDR5 12x1Gb at -28GB/s --> 326Gb/s on 384-bit)

AmyS

https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/05/ibm-5nm-chip-manufacturing/

30 billion transistors into a fingernail-sized chip... they could do wonders with that lithography.

You beat me to it!

Wow, this is what the industry needs, but I don't think it could happen for consoles until 2021 at the very soonest. Probably 2022.

More here:

IBM Shows The World How To Build A Super Dense 5-Nanometer Chip

IBM's said it's using a new type of transistor, called stacked silicon nanosheets, to pack transistors this closely together. The nanosheet transistor sends electrons through four gates, as opposed to the current-generation FinFET transistor design that sends electrons through three gates. FinFET (short for fin field-effect transistor) began appearing in 22nm and 14nm chips and are expected to continue being used with 7nm chips.

The chip industry is racing to move beyond the FinFET design because it doesn't scale anymore, said Mukesh Khare, vice president of semiconductor technology research at IBM Research. As chip designers cram more transistors closer together, chips are confronting issues with transistor leakage.

"Geometrically, FinFETs cannot scale anymore," Khare said.

IBM has been researching this nanosheet transistor chip technology for over a decade now. The company uses Extreme Ultraviolet lithography to manufacture the nanosheet transistor design -- the same process applied to IBM's 7nm test chip.

The 5nm chip research is coming out IBM's Research Alliance with chip foundry partners GlobalFoundries and Samsung. The Alliance announced the chip at the 2017 Symposia on VLSI Technology and Circuits conference in Kyoto, Japan. IBM doesn't manufacture chips anymore, but GlobalFoundries and Samsung do and they have the option to license the 5nm process.

5nm chips are expected to start manufacturing at scale around the 2020 timeframe.

"The move to 5nm is a huge deal as something needs to go beyond 10 and 7nm because all compute, including heterogeneous compute, needs this for growth in efficiency or performance," Moorhead said. "In other words, both are necessary to move the industry forward.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/aarontilley/2017/06/05/ibm-5nm-chips/#39625f3c5614

THE:MILKMAN

If they stick with AMD and that's very likely I'd say it will be Ryzen2+ or 3 (if it launches 2019).
The big question is are they going to cheap out on the CPU and go with the mobile version to save cost/power or will they use a desktop version in a APU.
The CPU/GPU in PS3 and PS4 amounted for about $100 in 2009/2013 respectively (just random information but CPU/GPU and RAM are the biggest cost).

Could probably figure the theoretical bandwidth of the system (assuming they use GDDR6, because let's be real every manufacturer is pushing that instead of HBM).
1.35v with stacks of 8Gb (32GB total) that's somewhere around 1280 - 1792Gb/s on a 768 or 1024-bit bus (Scorpio is pushing GDDR5 12x1Gb at -28GB/s --> 326Gb/s on 384-bit)

Although this all sounds great I just can't see it being realistic (I hate being the party pooper that keeps repeating myself!)

There is no way I can see a desktop CPU being used. PS4 and PS4 Pro have APUs that I guess have a TDP of ~75W (both use ~150-160W max at the wall for the system). Even cut down desktop Ryzen (2+ or 3) would use 50W alone and take up a lot more die space that could be used for more GPU.

No future PS5 will go above 200W at the wall IMO so I say an APU with Ryzen Mobile-based cores.

Shin

Banned
Even cut down desktop Ryzen (2+ or 3) would use 50W alone and take up a lot more die space that could be used for more GPU.

Not sure, current generation of a desktop Ryzen 5 and 7 has a TDP of 65w up to 95w respectively and that's on 14nm.
PS4's CPU 16nm? with a 25w draw plus old architecture and all that, regarding the size it would take up that I fully agree with.
Interestingly enough AMD doesn't state that Zen 2/3 will be more power efficient, instead this is what's down the road: http://hexus.net/media/uploaded/2017/5/5444308a-97e7-4221-a84a-0c7031a6579f.jpg

Interestingly enough, Ryzen Mobile Pro is slated for 1H 2018 (realistically it would make more sense, there's no denying that): http://static.trustedreviews.com/94/00003e295/90a0_orh616w616/ryzen-roadmap.jpg

yrba1

Pass, I'm hoping PS4 continues to build momentum in improving the quality of their games, quality of hardware should improve once we see breakthrough tech at reasonable cost. I already see the Scorpio as a reflection of Microsoft's failure of handling the Xbox One IPs

I'm hoping for a 2021 release at the earliest, wouldn't mind 2020 as well

Pass, I'm hoping PS4 continues to build momentum in improving the quality of their games, quality of hardware should improve once we see breakthrough tech at reasonable cost. I already see the Scorpio as a reflection of Microsoft's failure of handling the Xbox One IPs

I'm hoping for a 2021 release at the earliest, wouldn't mind 2020 as well

Yup. A bump in fidelity needs to be substantial to the average consumer for any new platform to be considered a smart move.

Just look at the 4K Ultra HD Blu Ray market to understand why.

AmyS

PS5's GPU can't be less than 12 TFLOPS, minimum. Double that of Scorpio. Otherwise, it won't really be worth it. Especially if PS5 doesn't get released until Holiday 2020. It's not just about hitting native 4K consistently, it's about a generational leap in graphic fidelity, and 8-10 TFLOPs doesn't leave much over for improving graphics over the current gen, while also doing native 4K at the same time. I know an 8-core/16-thread mobile RyZen CPU would be an absolutely massive improvement over Jaguar, but CPU has to improve no matter what, but I feel the GPU needs to be 12 TF+

I do not expect Sony to rapid-fire release more consoles every ~3 years. i.e. PS4 Ultra in 2019, PlayStation 5 in 2022, PS5 Pro in 2025.

jdstorm

Banned
All this future tech is cool. However those gains will still be there in 2023/24/25 and the processes will be more mature. So why not just release a generational update with a new CPU +6-8TF GPU in 2018/19. Release a Pro model GPU updated version in 2021/22, and then look at launching the PS6 in 2024/25

An updated CPU would do wonders for moving tech in games forward.

Inuhanyou

PS5's GPU can't be less than 12 TFLOPS, minimum. Double that of Scorpio. Otherwise, it won't really be worth it. Especially if PS5 doesn't get released until Holiday 2020. It's not just about hitting native 4K consistently, it's about a generational leap in graphic fidelity, and 8-10 TFLOPs doesn't leave much over for improving graphics over the current gen, while also doing native 4K at the same time. I know an 8-core/16-thread mobile RyZen CPU would be an absolutely massive improvement over Jaguar, but CPU has to improve no matter what, but I feel the GPU needs to be 12 TF+

I do not expect Sony to rapid-fire release more consoles every ~3 years. i.e. PS4 Ultra in 2019, PlayStation 5 in 2022, PS5 Pro in 2025.

Even in 2020 your going to have to cut down on resolution to hit whatever next gen graphical targets are.

Its just too hardware intensive to expect a 4x increase in pixel density as well as next gen graphics on top of that. Many games on PC even on the top end HW get maxed out just by adding 4K resolution and some higher graphical settings to console level games

Electret

Native 4K would be a waste of resources, let's not hope for that.

I've advocated for that as well. I would be more than content if devs - e.g., Sony's first parties - embraced a refined checkerboard rendering implementation (or the like) in lieu of native 4K on PS5. The boost in image quality going from good CBR to native 4K is not worth the resources it requires. Spend the resources you save elsewhere where they can make a much bigger impact - volumetric particles, global illumination, soft-body physics, etc.

AmyS

What if Cerny and Kutaragi teamed up on PS5 ?

Sony execs nearly shit the bed when Project Scorpio was announced. Any work already started on PS5 for 2019 was scrapped. Kutaragi called in to lend assistance.

-PlayStation Final- - Announce in early 2021 - release Fall 2021.

CPU AMD mobile Zen² based Threadripper - 16c/32t @ 3.4 GHz

AMD 'Next Gen' Radeon GPU (one gpu architecture beyond Navi). 24 TFLOPs
(4x the raw performance of Scorpio not counting architectural advancements beyond Polaris & Vega).

Samsung 64GB HBM3 / 2TB/sec bandwidth.

IBM / GLOBALFOUNDRIES 5nm GAAFET process using Extreme Ultraviolet lithography

8K video / 4K and 8K ultra HD Blu-ray (and native 4K video games)

300GB discs (based on the smallest version of Sony/Panasonic "Archival Discs" which will go to 3+TB

controller will be the new human interface that Kutaragi has been working on, will work with and without next gen PSVR.

It's PlayStation Final because silicon won't be able to advance enough beyond 5nm to make another huge difference.

In time (2025 - 2030) PlayStation will transition to "games as a service" where developers can stream games that run on multi PSFinal racks to deliver true CG-quality games. First up will be Square Enix Final Fantasy XVII (in 2030).

5RaBff2.jpg

y4SL55t.jpg

8rroTT1.jpg

Price? $---.99 Not final. TBA.

lol.

Not sure, current generation of a desktop Ryzen 5 and 7 has a TDP of 65w up to 95w respectively and that's on 14nm.
PS4's CPU 16nm? with a 25w draw plus old architecture and all that, regarding the size it would take up that I fully agree with.
Interestingly enough AMD doesn't state that Zen 2/3 will be more power efficient, instead this is what's down the road: http://hexus.net/media/uploaded/2017/5/5444308a-97e7-4221-a84a-0c7031a6579f.jpg

Interestingly enough, Ryzen Mobile Pro is slated for 1H 2018 (realistically it would make more sense, there's no denying that): http://static.trustedreviews.com/94/00003e295/90a0_orh616w616/ryzen-roadmap.jpg
Not true:

http://wccftech.com/amd-gray-hawk-zen-7nm-apu/

A quad-core Zen module (CCX) will consume 10 watts @ 7nm.

They could easily fit 12 Zen cores (3 modules) at the same power envelope/TDP of octa-core Jaguar @ 28nm (30 watts).

Top Bottom