• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Killzone Shadow Fall PS Meeting demo used 3GB of RAM & FXAA

B.O.O.M

Better textures and probably fix those animation issues that were in the demo they showed. Other than that, I wouldn't expect a massive difference from what was shown, unless the GPU had enough headroom left in it for a true MSAA implementation. Although I didn't have an issue with the FXAA.

I see. Thanks for the info. About what I expected then. Not bad at all

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Better textures and probably fix those animation issues that were in the demo they showed. Other than that, I wouldn't expect a massive difference from what was shown, unless the GPU had enough headroom left in it for a true MSAA implementation. Although I didn't have an issue with the FXAA.
Physics and animation is where I expect the most improvement. Animations were obviously placeholder and the hit reactions and blood were identical to KZ3. I'd also like to see better motion blur as well since that also looked the same as KZ3.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I'm digging the jobs system they are describing (just spawn massive amount of jobs). But I was also a big fan of erlang many years ago.

A thread is made for discussion. Which also includes personal opinions.
But it's a thread about the tech of a game. If you're not interested in tech then it's not the right thread. If you made a "I think Killzone sucks balls LTTP" thread and someone said you shouldn't have made it, they would be promptly banned, as threadwhining isn't allowed.

thuway

His post was pure trolling, plain and simple. He can veil it by claiming its an opinion, but there were a million other threads to do it in. We are getting way OT though.

I wish I knew what this meant. Put very very simply, CPU is game logic and physics, GPU is shaders and resolution, and RAM is textures and sound, right? So this means what? Notably crisper textures?

Exactly. What does this mean?

Regardless, the demo seems even more impressive now.

Demon Ice

Banned
Physics and animation is where I expect the most improvement. Animations were obviously placeholder and the hit reactions and blood were identical to KZ3. I'd also like to see better motion blur as well since that also looked the same as KZ3.

Yeah, I can see them prioritizing those over a proper MSAA as well if the CPU/GPU have enough headroom left. I'd imagine MSAA is near the bottom of their priority list given how good their implementation of FXAA is.

Impressive.

But But I thought FXAA was the devil GAF?

Killzone_010.png

Look at them jaggies

Acosta

In one slide says "no MSAA at the moment" but I think it´s interesting they mention "at the moment". Seems it could happen with more optimization (perhaps not for Shadow Fall but in future projects).

Edit: Damn you mysteriousmage09!

Metal-Geo

So does this mean they are optimising to get it to 60fps?

Or is there bullshit excuse about being "cinematic"?
More RAM won't really help for a better framerate. Keep in mind, the GPU is still limited to drawing a certain number of polygons per second and shader core clock.

What would be possible, with still so much RAM left, is the ability to load a lot of generic stuff beforehand. Like first person models, world models, enemies, textures, etc... Stuff that's used nearly all the time. Imagine pressing start on the title screen and continuing your last save. Two seconds black screen and bam, you're instantly already playing! And from that point on, more loading screens as you progress. All because the game cleverly loads future needed assets.

That is, if they actually implement that.

For all I care they can use the last 3GB to make the most spectacular Rico death scene ever.

Durante

Sometimes FXAA is better than MSAA.
Believe me, I know the exact strengths and weaknesses of most AA methods. I'd probably take FXAA over 2xMSAA, but even though it can have better quality on geometry edges than 4xMSAA there's no way I'd chose it above that. The drawbacks in terms of sub-pixel aliasing, blurring of false positives and reduced temporal stability are too severe.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yeah, I can see them prioritizing those over a proper MSAA as well if the CPU/GPU have enough headroom left. I'd imagine MSAA is near the bottom of their priority list given how good their implementation of FXAA is.
I agree unless the 32 ROPs in the final PS4 GPU help with MSAA a lot. We don't know the specs of the devkit GPU so those may not have been included.

BadWolf

Very nice.

So they thought it was 4GB total with 1GB for system so they used the max that they thought they could at the time, it appears.

Someone in the know, can you explain to me what this info would mean concerning destructible environments? Would the bump in memory give GG more leeway to improve this area? KZ2 did it pretty well, if sparingly; KZ3 I didn't notice it as much. I'm not expecting Battlefield level destruction, but it would be nice to see some walls and structures blasted to bits next gen style.

Raist

Banned
So is MLAA a thing of the past already or what? Seemed to give some pretty awesome results.

Someone in the know, can you explain to me what this info would mean concerning destructible environments? Would the bump in memory give GG more leeway to improve this area? KZ2 did it pretty well, if sparingly; KZ3 I didn't notice it as much. I'm not expecting Battlefield level destruction, but it would be nice to see some walls and structures blasted to bits next gen style.

Dunno about KZ3, but there wasn't that much of it in KZ2. The impressive pieces were 100% scripted, the rest was mostly a few pillars on some maps (eg radec Academy).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It depends on if the CPU or the compute abilities of the GPU are up to it but yes, RAM can help with things like destruction. This is also one of my biggest wants for SF.

I'm digging the jobs system they are describing (just spawn massive amount of jobs). But I was also a big fan of erlang many years ago.

But it's a thread about the tech of a game. If you're not interested in tech then it's not the right thread. If you made a "I think Killzone sucks balls LTTP" thread and someone said you shouldn't have made it, they would be promptly banned, as threadwhining isn't allowed.

So why are both the WiiU GPU and CPU dieshot thread filled with marketing discussion? Right now, the fanboys rule, and with E3 around the corner it's going to be almost insufferable. I hope this shit blows over ... oh who am I kidding.

As for the unaccounted 3.5 GB of RAM they're going to have left to play with, I hope they use them mostly on opening up the level design. Instead of just giving vistas, let people explore and find their own routes and flanking positions.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So is MLAA a thing of the past already or what? Seemed to give some pretty awesome results.

The PS3 MLAA was handled by Cell which is why it looked better than a lot of the PC implementations of it. It's probably a pain to port that over to PS4.

It depends on if the CPU or the compute abilities of the GPU are up to it but yes, RAM can help with things like destruction. This is also one of my biggest wants for SF.
Cool. I'm also eager to see some cool lighting and shadows; like that train level in KZ2. Color is always nice, but KZ does dark and bleak just about better than anyone.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Believe me, I know the exact strengths and weaknesses of most AA methods. I'd probably take FXAA over 2xMSAA, but even though it can have better quality on geometry edges than 4xMSAA there's no way I'd chose it above that. The drawbacks in terms of sub-pixel aliasing, blurring of false positives and reduced temporal stability are too severe.
I notice myself. But for some games FXAA is better.

Bad Company games have bad MSAA implementation, even with 8xAA buildings and stuff further away are still jaggy. That is a more game specific example, MSAA is better but sometimes it's good to have FXAA. Smooth trees/leaves in Crysis. Something like Dirt 3 also holds up well with FXAA looking as good as 4xAA.

First is 8xAA. Last one is FXAA.

Durante

I notice myself. But for some games FXAA is better.

Bad Company games have bad MSAA implementation, even with 8xAA buildings and stuff further away are still jaggy. That is a more game specific example, MSAA is better but sometimes it's good to have FXAA. Smooth trees/leaves in Crysis. Something like Dirt 3 also holds up well with FXAA looking as good as 4xAA.

First is 8xAA. Last one is FXAA.
Hmm, the game is clearly doing something strange in the 8xMSAA versions there, the background objects don't seem to have any AA at all!

So yeah, when MSAA isn't working then FXAA is better, but I wouldn't really take that as a judgement of the techniques in general ;)

Dunno about KZ3, but there wasn't that much of it in KZ2. The impressive pieces were 100% scripted, the rest was mostly a few pillars on some maps (eg radec Academy).
You are correct; I was mostly referring to the pillars in Radec Academy. I remember standing there shooting them, and watching the debris fall pretty convincingly to the ground. I'm sure it probably wasn't exactly real time destruction, but it looked cool lol.

making an "interesting game" has nohing to do with technical details like using 3gb of ram and using fxaa.

Personal opinions about this matter are something along the lines of "i hate fxaa, it looks blurry", not "man, these guys make boring games".

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Wait wait wait, in the papers they said 800MB for render targets ...that's a lot!
I think KZ2 used 36MB. Does anyone know what KZ3 used?

It's not easy to google because of Killzone 2's infamous target render at E3. :p

DieH@rd

Banned
Two interesting things, charachters have seven LOD states...
guerrillagames1bojl3.jpg

...and for now they are brute forcing particles on CPU only.
guerrillagames22kj3p.jpg

Gestault

Am I the only one looking at the slides from GG which say specifically that the demo used roughly 4.5 gigabytes of ram, plus whatever the OS footprint is?

That seems to contradict what many here think they're reading.

AzaK

How much RAM does it take to make an interesting game?

Hehe

Am I the only one looking at the slides from GG which say specifically that the demo used roughly 4.5 gigabytes of ram, plus whatever the OS footprint is?

That seems to contradict what many here think they're reading.

I haven't seen the slides but the 3GB was for graphics. It could be using 1.5GB for code and datastructures.

Top Bottom