• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Killzone Shadow Fall PS Meeting demo used 3GB of RAM & FXAA

Demon Ice

Banned
BTW More RAM helps in having more NPC's on screen right?

I'd say the actual number of NPCs on screen depends on the CPU, but a larger RAM pool may increase the variety of said NPCs, so you don't see a bunch of clones or obvious pallette swaps running around. Assuming the dev is willing to put in the work.

delta25

Banned
That shot was the one where it was most obvious that they were using FXAA (or a similar post-processing solution) in motion in the 1080p video. Pretty intense sub-pixel aliasing/flickering.

Durante I'm glad I lack the technical knowledge of graphics that you have, to the rest of us laymen that shot looks...well, perfect.

I thought Sony secretly raised the amount of ram and ended up surprising everyone including the developers working on PS4 games.

Guerilla games already said they won't be using the extra ram to make the game look dramatically different than what we saw. They'll be using it make the game run better and include other additions.

(could have sworn I read this info on Gaf a month or two back.)

Durante

Durante I'm glad I lack the technical knowledge of graphics that you have, to the rest of us laymen that shot looks...well, perfect.
I wasn't talking about the shot (a screenshot can't flicker ;)), I was talking about the video of the same scene. It's pretty obvious there.

Sorral

game looks amazing already

will buy! I love Killzone ^_^

hoping the multiplayer runs at 60 FPS

Don't get your hopes up.

People notice FXAA that easy in KZ:SF? It doesn't have anywhere near that 'smeared' look that I see with bad FXAA and nowhere close to how people talk badly of FXAA (there is an uncompressed 1GB+ video of KZ:SF in the reveal thread).

Also, I thought it was done really well in Crysis 3 when I maxed it out on my rig and kept on comparing it to other AA solutions to the point where it was really hard to notice the difference. Only at 1080p and I am not used to this sort of thing though.

Edit:
I use FXAA all the time at 1080p and I never notice the blur people talk about.

Oh blur? I have to recheck then. I think I wasn't playing with FXAA the whole time so far, so I think I'd notice the difference.

nOoblet16

Hmm, the game is clearly doing something strange in the 8xMSAA versions there, the background objects don't seem to have any AA at all!

So yeah, when MSAA isn't working then FXAA is better, but I wouldn't really take that as a judgement of the techniques in general ;)

Borked AA due to lighting. An assload of games out there do things in their rendering pass that breaks the AA, most of the time it's due to the lighting (hello Uncharted), sometimes it's the alpha (as in Crysis 1).

I think MSAA is great but if the rendering approach isn't perfect and results in the AA breaking apart then post process AA is clearly better because sub pixel aliasing is less noticeable than borked MSAA on high contrast edges. Also what about the superior SMAA ? It addresses sub pixel to some degree and it should work great at a resolution like 1080p.

Skyzard

Banned
Maybe he really hates killzone. Seems pretty unlikely though :p Blatant derail though.

Looked great to me, I watched the original trailer basically frame by frame hah, this is really great news, people were suspecting it a while back since the 8GB seemed to be news to everyone at the time.

I usually only play snappy shooters, especially fps, but this looks fast enough and will be a decent change of pace from Cod...and BF now.

There will be a hunt for the lowest quality texture in the game. The level was big enough from what I saw. Hopefully they can pump up all the little details now too! They would have known from 2 months ago I guess.

Demon Ice

Banned
Was there ever a download link for a direct feed of the trailer? I don't mind if it's only 720p but 1080p would be preferable.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

x-Lundz-x

Pretty impressive, I can't sit to see the finished product. GG are masters of the playstation so I can't for for E3 to see more.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
pretty impressive what GG can do with what they are given.

can't wait they can do later on in the ps4 lifecycle (but hope it's not like 5 versions of Killzone later)

They're working on a new IP, rumored to be an RPG. It'll be their second game on PS4 so it should be a stunner.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Here's the 720p version of the gameplay. It looks better than most of the 1080p versions I've found since the bitrate is high. Ignore the framerate issues, it's an issue with the encode, not the game and it seems to be in several different videos.

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/mW0tlaIQg/

well Mass Effect is an RPG. i'm hoping there's no shooting involved really.

True. I'm hoping it's fantasy based. I'd love to see what GG can do in a unique fantasy setting.

farisr

DF analysys of K:SF demo showed ultra smooth 30fps gameplay, no drops, no tearing, no double frames.

sucks that the highest quality vid gg put up for the game on youtube which is a direct feed 1080p video suffers from it which was most likely due to the capturing device messing up. That video had dropped/duplicate frames galore.

If you were to remove all the duplicate frames, the 8 minute something video gets cut down to 6 minutes. That's how many dropped frames there were. The average framerate turned out to be around 20 fps in that video as a result.

The PS Meeting demonstration, and The Jimmy Fallon demonstration had 0 dropped/duplicate frames on the other hand.

Sorral

Uploading the direct feed 1GB version of the 1min trailer. It is taking a bit to upload on Google Drive, but will post it here once it is done.

Two interesting things, charachters have seven LOD states...
guerrillagames1bojl3.jpg
Very interesting. For comparison Ellen Page's model in Beyond has about 30k polygons. If even a Killzone can push 40k for minor side characters than that's pretty good.

charsace

Two interesting things, charachters have seven LOD states...
guerrillagames1bojl3.jpg

...and for now they are brute forcing particles on CPU only.
guerrillagames22kj3p.jpg

The highest LOD for characters in KZ3 was only 10k? Surprising.

More ram is always good. It can lead to more variety in characters and the environment, faster loading, better ai, more advanced ai, better textures.

Poly count on characters has nothing to do with the genre. Gears3 has 14-20 something k characters all the time, even in multiplayer.

Reiko

Banned
Laymen question, but why is it when I add more RAM to my PC I get performance increases? Doesn't the same apply here?

I dunno about that.

This is strictly in the console space I mean.

A more powerful GPU (Generally on the PC) can have the 30fps console fidelity and 60fps.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Laymen question, but why is it when I add more RAM to my PC I get performance increases? Doesn't the same apply here?

You were probably RAM bound in certain situations where you got a performance increase. In a console space that's less likely since they're already designing around a set amount of RAM. It's not entirely correct to say that there won't be performance increases with RAM, but they're very mild.

I dunno about that.

This is strictly in the console space I mean.

A more powerful GPU (Generally on the PC) can have the 30fps console fidelity and 60fps.

Obviously a GPU will have more direct improvements

But say they were struggling with the 3GB of space, wouldn't the freedom of the 8GB allow the game to run much more efficiently?

Top Bottom