• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry:Kingdom Come Deliverance (console analysis)

Gold_Loot

Notes:

-Xbox one X has the highest resolution at 1440p
-Initial loading to title screen is fastest on Xbox one X. Game loading is much closer afterwards.
-all versions suffer from frame pacing.
-Besides base resolution, PS4 Pro seems quite close to Xbox one X.

Witch hunt me if old.

Leonidas

Resolutions:

Xbox One X: 2560x1440(156% more than XBO/PS4, 78% more than PS4 Pro)
PS4 Pro: 1920x1080(44% more than XBO/PS4)
XBO: 1600x900
PS4: 1600x900

Pretty impressive resolution bump for Scorpio when given the full resolution picture for consoles.

EDIT: error fixed

Last edited:
Resolutions:

Xbox One X: 2560x1440(256% more than XBO/PS4, 78% more than PS4 Pro)
XBO: 1600x900
PS4: 1600x900

Pretty impressive resolution bump for Scorpio when given the full resolution picture for consoles.

Did Digital Foundry report resolution increase percentage like this before X release?

thelastword

Banned
I don't see how DF can give the perf advantage to XBONEX.... PRO seems to have it from what I've seen. maybe we can also call it a wash in perf too, because perf flip flops from 2-3 fps advantage over the other in different scenes, even then, XBONEX dropped more often. PRO seems to have the AO advantage too.....

I'm not impressed with their decision on rez and graphical features. 900p on both PS4 and XB1-S makes no sense, Vanilla PS4 should be 1080p even with lowered quality AO, similar to the XBOX-ONE-S version or slighlty better AO at that. That is usually the divide....Which gets us to PRO which is just 1080p? Does not make sense, seems lots of optimization was left on the PS4/PRO versions. Hope there is a hefty patch coming soon. Foliage and lighting is much more impressive than WItcher 3. Texture loading issues and filtering should be better than it is and perf is not exactly terrible. As a matter of fact, these guys can give us a locked 30fps (at least on mid-gen), if they optimize a bit here and there......

JimboJones

At work right now so I can't watch.
But what about performance ?

All platforms suffer from frame pacing issues, seems like a bug associated with being a Cryengine game, the FPS is set to 31 (similar problem with Homefront the revolution which was also a CryEngine game), probably will get fixed eventually.

Asset streaming can affect FPS, for example running through an area can see performance drop but if you walk the performance is fine.

The base PS4/XboxOne find Battles, NPC heavy city areas and in game cut scenes tough on performance, can affect the pro and X too but they stick closer to 31fps.

X comes out on top with higher resolution, performance and loads times.

Inviusx

Glad I waited to see the DF video. I don't think this game is worth the purchase yet. Sub 25fps sections on PS4 pro is not acceptable.

Harlock

This game and Monster Hunter World feels like we are entering in the phase where the games are made with ps4 pro and xbox x in mind, while the original hardware are getting shit frame rates.

cooper59

Banned
I don't see how DF can give the perf advantage to XBONEX.... PRO seems to have it from what I've seen. maybe we can also call it a wash in perf too, because perf flip flops from 2-3 fps advantage over the other in different scenes, even then, XBONEX dropped more often. PRO seems to have the AO advantage too.....

I'm not impressed with their decision on rez and graphical features. 900p on both PS4 and XB1-S makes no sense, Vanilla PS4 should be 1080p even with lowered quality AO, similar to the XBOX-ONE-S version or slighlty better AO at that. That is usually the divide....Which gets us to PRO which is just 1080p? Does not make sense, seems lots of optimization was left on the PS4/PRO versions. Hope there is a hefty patch coming soon. Foliage and lighting is much more impressive than WItcher 3. Texture loading issues and filtering should be better than it is and perf is not exactly terrible. As a matter of fact, these guys can give us a locked 30fps (at least on mid-gen), if they optimize a bit here and there......
what doesnt make sense is your constant idea that the pro will be better than the xbox x. i have had both and the pro doesnt come close to the xbox x on any games i have seen.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Disapointing showing for the pro a console advertised as a dynamic/4k machine, but only doing 1080p.
The X aint perfect but at least its a decent improvement over the base versions.

nowhat

This game and Monster Hunter World feels like we are entering in the phase where the games are made with ps4 pro and xbox x in mind, while the original hardware are getting shit frame rates.
It's not like poorly optimized ports are a new thing - we have things like "Lichdom Battlemage!" (which was later on patched so kudos to the developer there) or Ark (which, as far as I can tell, continues to be Ark).

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
what doesnt make sense is your constant idea that the pro will be better than the xbox x. i have had both and the pro doesnt come close to the xbox x on any games i have seen.
If you think my reply is that PRO hardware is more powerful, then I guess you see and assume what you want to. I go by what I'm seeing in the framerate department in this particular game and the XBONEX does not have a framerate advantage over the PRO, you can always prove me wrong instead of using useless retorts. Show me where XBONEX is better than PRO in the framerate department.....You guys are stuck on specs, yet these faceoffs are about tangible results.

The XBONEX is 1440p, it's AO is worse and I'm not seeing the framerate advantage DF spoke about. VGTECH has been doing mostly BC videos of late, I'm sure if they put this game through their tools you'll see what I'm talking about if you fail to read as much here. Most of the times watching DF videos, I use their own stats and see if it meshes with what they say, and what I saw does not mesh with what he claimed. You can go watch the framerate in the video again and tell me X comes on top. If X wins X wins, but if it doesn't, don't give it a win without substantiation.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

If you think my reply is that PRO hardware is more powerful, then I guess you see and assume what you want to. I go by what I'm seeing in the framerate department in this particular game and the XBONEX does not have a framerate advantage over the PRO, you can always prove me wrong instead of using useless retorts. Show me where XBONEX is better than PRO in the framerate department.....You guys are stuck on specs, yet these faceoffs are about tangible results.

The XBONEX is 1440p, it's AO is worse and I'm not seeing the framerate advantage DF spoke about. VGTECH has been doing mostly BC videos of late, I'm sure if they put this game through their tools you'll see what I'm talking about if you fail to read as much here. Most of the times watching DF videos, I use their own stats and see if it meshes with what they say, and what I saw does not mesh with what he claimed. You can go watch the framerate in the video again and tell me X comes on top. If X wins X wins, but if it doesn't, don't give it a win without substantiation.

Even if the X has an odd FR disadvantage, it still wins.
But all we can go on at the moment is the evidence we have. Which you are providing none for your contrary observation on FR.

Last edited:

Every post of yours alludes to you wanting to promote the Pro over the Xbox One X, no wonder you continually get called out on it. Want proof?

"I don't see how DF can give the perf advantage to XBONEX"

"Does not make sense, seems lots of optimization was left on the PS4/PRO versions. Hope there is a hefty patch coming soon"

Where are the requests for an Xbox One X patch and you show no hints at all that the Xbox One X should be doing much better.

Petrae

Feels like I need to consider whether to drop $400 to upgrade or to just stop buying modern games until the actual next generation of consoles comes out. Too many PS4 games lately running like ass on “old” hardware.

Swizzle

Gold Member
Disapointing showing for the pro a console advertised as a dynamic/4k machine, but only doing 1080p.
The X aint perfect but at least its a decent improvement over the base versions.

The Xbox One X is advertised as being a true 4K machine by MS and its fans just as much as PS4 Pro is advertised as being a dynamic/checkerboarded/4Kpr machine and its fans. Neither is meeting those targets as far as this game is able to achieve at least. Is PS4 Pro doing much worse than the power and memory difference would suggest? Then disappointing showing else maybe just being happy for the console you prefer would be enough I would think.

Putting down an older and cheaper console is pointless (and does not help the discussion in my opinion) when the newer and more expensive machine is faster and overall stronger (and beside lack of 4K UHD Blu-Ray drive there is not a lot going against it given price and release date). It ought to be.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Lastword's posts are suspect, AF! He just can't seem to get his head around the fact that the X is just a more powerful system. Dunno what is up with that guy..

Leonidas

The Xbox One X is advertised as being a true 4K machine by MS and its fans just as much as PS4 Pro is advertised as being a dynamic/checkerboarded/4Kpr machine and its fans. Neither is meeting those targets as far as this game is able to achieve at least. Is PS4 Pro doing much worse than the power and memory difference would suggest? Then disappointing showing else maybe just being happy for the console you prefer would be enough I would think.

Putting down an older and cheaper console is pointless (and does not help the discussion in my opinion) when the newer and more expensive machine is faster and overall stronger (and beside lack of 4K UHD Blu-Ray drive there is not a lot going against it given price and release date). It ought to be.

The PS4 Pro has 3x the power of the original Xbox One yet it only has a slight increase in resolution in this instance. It's not a put down to say that's a disappointment, it's a fact. PS4 Pro is designed to be used on 4K displays but in this case the resulting image will look like what you expect from a standard PS4 game.

thelastword

Banned
Even if the X has an odd FR disadvantage, it still wins.
But all we can go on at the moment is the evidence we have. Which you are providing none for your contrary observation on FR.
You going by what DF says, I'm going by the tangibles, in essence, the framerate I see on display in their video....it's at odds with their conclusion, which is why sites like Vgtech is needed with real stats, because people will take DF at their word like you are doing, when even their own video shows something different. I have no contention with the higher boost in resolution, but I see nothing in that video that suggests XBONEX has better performance over PRO. FWIW, Pro also has better AO than XBONEX.

Every post of yours alludes to you wanting to promote the Pro over the Xbox One X, no wonder you continually get called out on it. Want proof?

"I don't see how DF can give the perf advantage to XBONEX"

"Does not make sense, seems lots of optimization was left on the PS4/PRO versions. Hope there is a hefty patch coming soon"

Where are the requests for an Xbox One X patch and you show no hints at all that the Xbox One X should be doing much better.
I'm pretty sure if there's a patch for the PRO, the XBONEX will get one too, what do you expect.......I'm not promoting any console, I'm just looking at this game's performance, graphical settings etc across the board as per the video, but feel free to assume what you will....

Swizzle

Gold Member
The PS4 Pro has 3x the power of the original Xbox One yet it only has a slight increase in resolution in this instance. It's not a put down to say that's a disappointment, it's a fact. PS4 Pro is designed to be used on 4K displays but in this case the resulting image will look like what you expect from a standard PS4 game.

It does have better effects and overall image quality in addition to raw pixel count and a console with 2 TFLOOS more in performance and a lot more RAM and more bandwidth is about on par graphics hits wise and has as you said a resolution bump over it only which to me points at more work the developers need to put on these machines... although being mid generation upgrades you will not see them pushed much more by third parties...

Leonidas

It does have better effects and overall image quality in addition to raw pixel count and a console with 2 TFLOOS more in performance and a lot more RAM and more bandwidth is about on par graphics hits wise and has as you said a resolution bump over it only which to me points at more work the developers need to put on these machines... although being mid generation upgrades you will not see them pushed much more by third parties...

The graphic settings seem pretty similar between all 4 systems. The major difference is the increase in resolution. Only one console can allow this game to take advantage of the increased resolution of a 4K display at this time.

Even without mid generation upgrades being pushed more by third parties the Xbox One X continues to do what it set out to do, which is to provide a much higher resolution and more stable frame-rate compared to the base Xbox One.

By comparison, in this instance with PS4 vs. PS4 Pro you get the the sort of difference historically seen between XBO and PS4...

Last edited:

meirl

Banned
Resolutions:

Xbox One X: 2560x1440(156% more than XBO/PS4, 78% more than PS4 Pro)

So, the gap between XBOX ONE X and PS4 PRO is BIGGER than ps4 pro and Xbox one? 😂

Damn. Xbox one X nextgen confirmed.

My question is, is it a hardware issue or a support/development issue. On paper the Pro should be closer to the X than currently is, right? Is the RAM making that big of a difference, more so than just the TFLOP/GPU Power?

I play my Pro more than any other console but that’s mostly due to MS exclusives being Play Anywhere so I just play them on PC. The X is clearly extremely well designed and cost effective.

Swizzle

Gold Member
I think memory BW is making the biggest impact on resolution/framerate differences.

The smart bet on MS side (which had different goals than Sony to be fair) was to seemingly accept that developers do not find it worth their engineering resources to really push these kinds of mid gen refreshes/iterative HW in general and gave a console where between raw performance, memory bandwidth, and memory size (some games lose on PS4 Pro because the 4K texture packs still fit on Xbox One X with minor adjustments while they do not make the cut for PS4 Pro because they would require a lot more effort which is not worth ROI on the game 4K patch).

Then again Sony knew they would have a PS5 full gen transition in the corner (and dedicating too much R&D to PS4 Pro would have been counterproductive in many ways), that they had the clear advantage in user base and developers mind share, as well as more first party developers who would actually take the time to push the console (see Horizon’s Pro patch for example). They also designed the console with optimisations for their VR product which the competition did not have and thus did not have to worry about it.

Then again they had time to observe the competition going through it, had more time to fine tune the manufacturing process and push clockrate up, as well as they were targeting a considerably higher price range and thus could afford to pack in extra HW. The extra year also helped as it definitely solidified what some were only theorising in terms of developer support.

Last edited:

Swizzle

Gold Member
The graphic settings seem pretty similar between all 4 systems. The major difference is the increase in resolution. Only one console can allow this game to take advantage of the increased resolution of a 4K display at this time.

Even without mid generation upgrades being pushed more by third parties the Xbox One X continues to do what it set out to do, which is to provide a much higher resolution and more stable frame-rate compared to the base Xbox One.

By comparison, in this instance with PS4 vs. PS4 Pro you get the the sort of difference historically seen between XBO and PS4...

Fair enough, as I said the effort by third parties, especially with smaller developers with less resources. You say it yourself: if the graphical settings are pretty much in line across Xbox One and Xbox One X beside for resolution, considering the gulf in resources between the two systems, itֹ points to very raw brute forcing in terms of mid generation updates (updates that benefit the console maker much more than the console public IMHO, but that is another story :)).

Overall, I think this may be more like a perception issue (see PS Vita sub native games and most of all 60 FPS games on PS2) as there are plenty of games where the PS4 Pro patch is delivering higher resolution and higher graphical fidelity/higher quality effects compared to PS4. Also the power difference is smaller than Xbox One and Xbox One X

Leonidas

You say it yourself: if the graphical settings are pretty much in line across Xbox One and Xbox One X beside for resolution, considering the gulf in resources between the two systems, itֹ points to very raw brute forcing in terms of mid generation updates (updates that benefit the console maker much more than the console public IMHO, but that is another story :)).

In this particular instance yes, but the same is true of all versions of this game at this time, Xbox One original, PS4 Pro, PS4 and Xbox One X.

The Xbox One X version at least can take advantage of the extra pixels of a 4K display while the other 3 console versions of this game get no benefit from going above a 1080p screen.

there are plenty of games where the PS4 Pro patch is delivering higher resolution and higher graphical fidelity/higher quality effects compared to PS4.

Not in this game though, which is what the discussion of this thread has been about(I thought). PS4 Pro is almost 2.3x more powerful than the original PS4 so that's expected in games which choose to use the power in those ways.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Eh more or less what i expected. I'll wait for at least another 6 months to see how much they will improve the base PS4 performance. If they don't bother with the base PS4 then i'll just wait until i get a PS5.

-Xenokai-

Neo Member
Im 15 hours in on the Xbox One X and its really is a great game. Not hade any crazy fps dips but it isnt silky smooth but its basically like oblivion was performance wise on the 360. Fully playable and still fun. I recommend it.

Sosokrates

You going by what DF says, I'm going by the tangibles, in essence, the framerate I see on display in their video....it's at odds with their conclusion, which is why sites like Vgtech is needed with real stats, because people will take DF at their word like you are doing, when even their own video shows something different. I have no contention with the higher boost in resolution, but I see nothing in that video that suggests XBONEX has better performance over PRO. FWIW, Pro also has better AO than XBONEX.

I'm pretty sure if there's a patch for the PRO, the XBONEX will get one too, what do you expect.......I'm not promoting any console, I'm just looking at this game's performance, graphical settings etc across the board as per the video, but feel free to assume what you will....

DF framerate summary is not soley based on the footage of the analysis!

Putting down?
I am stating the reality that the Pro version is disapointing because it is not much of an improvement over the base version. If one cant express this in a graphical analysis thread then whats the point in them? Or are there requirements of positive oberservations only?

Swizzle

Gold Member
Putting down?
I am stating the reality that the Pro version is disapointing because it is not much of an improvement over the base version. If one cant express this in a graphical analysis thread then whats the point in them? Or are there requirements of positive oberservations only?

In a thread discussing how a game is taking advantage / running on any console then any comment about how it runs on those consoles (unless extremely rude and aggressive towards others) is welcome. I will and already agreed with you that the way this game takes advantage of the PS4 Pro (and of the Xbox One X considering the power gulf over the Xbox One)... the game is not being kind to either of the mid generation upgrades.

What I was noticing was how this seems to sometimes step over into the “... and this shows how nice console A is and how badly designed console B is...” without a logical connection between the two. Even that is legal and dandy :), but so it is calling it out and engaging with it if one sees it and commenting on it ;).

Last edited:
Cry engine seems to have issues with PS4. I noticed in this when they compared this to pre-patched Homefront that game also ran worse on PS4 than base One on launch,. Then Prey issues on PS4. Now this with worse loading, framerate worse at spots, and same resolution as One. The opposite of most games.
Not surprising given Ryse was a XOne console exclusive so I would assume Crytek thought nothing about PS4 when they were doing the modern version of the engine, just XOne, so PS4 I would assume requires much more effort on the part of devs licensing that engine.

Cry Engine designed to cap at 31FPS instead of 30 was something I found interesting. Silly Crytek.

Sosokrates

In a thread discussing how a game is taking advantage / running on any console then any comment about how it runs on those consoles (unless extremely rude and aggressive towards others) is welcome. I will and already agreed with you that the way this game takes advantage of the PS4 Pro (and of the Xbox One X considering the power gulf over the Xbox One)... the game is not being kind to either of the mid generation upgrades.

What I was noticing was how this seems to sometimes step over into the “... and this shows how nice console A is and how badly designed console B is...” without a logical connection between the two. Even that is legal and dandy :), but so it is calling it out and engaging with it if one sees it and commenting on it ;).

I get what you mean by how the difference in hardware does correlate to the res difference we are seeing with the pro and the X.But what ppl think on how well the mid gen consoles are designed is not related to my point.
My point is if I was going to buy it on the pro I think its disapointing because its barley any improvment over the base PS4.
So while this game may not be kind to either mid gen refresh, at least the X has a substantial improvement over the base hardware and will also take advantage of a 4k tv.
So its not just a case of "there are both poor implementations" one version is clearly missing the point of what the mid gen upgrades were intended for, and if people are offended by calling a spade a spade then thats there problem with accepting reality, for whatever reason that may be, lol.

Swizzle

Gold Member
I get what you mean by how the difference in hardware does correlate to the res difference we are seeing with the pro and the X.But what ppl think on how well the mid gen consoles are designed is not related to my point.
My point is if I was going to buy it on the pro I think its disapointing because its barley any improvment over the base PS4.
So while this game may not be kind to either mid gen refresh, at least the X has a substantial improvement over the base hardware and will also take advantage of a 4k tv.
So its not just a case of "there are both poor implementations" one version is clearly missing the point of what the mid gen upgrades were intended for, and if people are offended by calling a spade a spade then thats there problem with accepting reality, for whatever reason that may be, lol.

Nobody is getting offended for saying that this game looks better on Xbox One X, if it is true it is true and it is true (you keep shoving into my face something which I am agreeing on, so not sure who you are trying to convince ;)).

Logic is fine and sometimes fanboy passion is too, but the latter might get challenged albeit politely (if I see it delving into console wars inanity for example).

Last edited:

DryvBy

They patched this Friday. I'm wondering if this fixed up some framerates. I'm rarely seeing a drop on the Pro now.

Sosokrates

Nobody is getting offended for saying that this game looks better on Xbox One X, if it is true it is true and it is true (you keep shoving into my face something which I am agreeing on, so not sure who you are trying to convince ;)).

Logic is fine and sometimes fanboy passion is too, but the latter might get challenged albeit politely (if I see it delving into console wars inanity for example).

I wonder why you are bringing up "fanboy passion", what relevance does it have to our discussion?

I wonder why you are bringing up "fanboy passion", what relevance does it have to our discussion?

Are we supposed to pretend like every DF thread right after the X released wasn’t a total embarrassing shitpost extravaganza? Those memes were so cringe. I’m glad we cleaned that up and can have actual discussions about the strengths and weaknesses of Pro and X enhancements.

The X Fanboy Clubs ruined those threads though. Most of them are still here. They know who they are. We know who they are.

Sosokrates

Are we supposed to pretend like every DF thread right after the X released wasn’t a total embarrassing shitpost extravaganza? Those memes were so cringe. I’m glad we cleaned that up and can have actual discussions about the strengths and weaknesses of Pro and X enhancements.

The X Fanboy Clubs ruined those threads though. Most of them are still here. They know who they are. We know who they are.

Yeah, like thelastword right......

Swizzle

Gold Member

I would not get so much stuck on a single rightly cheeky bit of the post in question, but I think it has at least as much relevance as putting hands forward and asking a rethorical “are there requirements of positive observations only?” ;). I was not calling out this exchange if you are wondering.

Top Bottom