• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Metro Exodus on Stadia looks as good as Xbox One X - but doesn't run as well

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It certainly looked like a rushed launch to me, and I assume the reason was to avoid exactly what you stated.

And after hearing Jeff from GiantBomb say that load times aren't faster while playing games on Stadia.......how will that look compared to the PS5 and XSX considering they'll both have super fast SSDs in them? This is looking bad for Stadia.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The "looks as good" statement is deceptive.
Yeah it's running the game at the same resolution but you still get the loss of clarity and overall blurriness from streamed content. I imagine the same way a 1080p Youtube or Netflix video doesn't look as good as a Bluray

Because this:

VmZyVo8.jpg

Isn't what I'd call "looks just as good"
Good lord is that awful looking on Stadia...just as I expected.

I'm just curious as to why DF is paying so much attention to Stadia...? Almost legitimizing this POS by giving the meager number of people who "own" one justification purchasing it. Don't get me wrong, I love what DF do, but Stadia is such a small portion of the market that I can't see why they'd want to waste their time looking at this shit.
Again, I know it's the new kid on the block, and people are curious, but I'd much rather see them focus on PC/console over this streaming crap. Lag like this in any game is unacceptable. I remember trying to play Killzone 2 on PS3 with the horrendous lag that was quickly patched out by the devs. How would Google fix that shit with Stadia?
Anyway, to anyone here from DF, this is not me having a dig at any of you guys per se, but i'm just really curious as to why you'd waste time on this shit for when so little people own it or even care?
Keep up the good work though!
That's why I'm not touching it but the data is useful.

Last edited:

MacReady13

Good lord is that awful looking on Stadia...just as I expected.

That's why I'm not touching it but the data is useful.

You really thing streaming is the future of gaming? Even with lag and graphic artifacts? I just hope it's not a streaming only future...

nowhat

I know. I'm asking what he thinks considering Microsoft, Google and Sony are pushing this narrative that streaming is the ONLY way for the future of gaming... Even Hideo Kojima said something similar.
I don't think either MS or Sony is pushing for streaming as the only option, I'd like a reference? Third party studios like Ubi are into it. I'm assuming likes of EA too. And Stadia, sure, but that's all they got. I don't see either MS or Sony going streaming-only for at least the next gen.

As for Kojima, yeah, he may be into it, but it's just a smokescreen until he finishes perfecting the ultimate game delivery method. Mark my words, next Kojima game you'll be playing will connect to your sensory input and output... via nanobots.

MacReady13

I don't think either MS or Sony is pushing for streaming as the only option, I'd like a reference? Third party studios like Ubi are into it. I'm assuming likes of EA too. And Stadia, sure, but that's all they got. I don't see either MS or Sony going streaming-only for at least the next gen.

As for Kojima, yeah, he may be into it, but it's just a smokescreen until he finishes perfecting the ultimate game delivery method. Mark my words, next Kojima game you'll be playing will connect to your sensory input and output... via nanobots.

I guess i'm just really shitty that we heading down a streaming path for games. I'd rather it be an optional extra as opposed to the standard. Movies, TV and music have followed this trend. Can't we buck this trend?

Hawke502

I guess i'm just really shitty that we heading down a streaming path for games. I'd rather it be an optional extra as opposed to the standard. Movies, TV and music have followed this trend. Can't we buck this trend?
you can still buy your movies and music physically, in fact the searches for vinyl have been going up. Phil Spencer said many times they believe streaming will be an alternative, they are not marketing it like stadia.

nowhat

you can still buy your movies and music physically, in fact the searches for vinyl have been going up.
Hipsters do have odd and unjustifiable tastes, true ;)

Phil Spencer said many times they believe streaming will be an alternative, they are not marketing it like stadia.
And Sony has been longest in the streaming game (granted, it has only become more feasible in recent years), but I don't see them pushing a PS Now-only future. It's a complementary service*) (that, and I doubt they mind getting full price for each of their titles at launch as opposed to subscription revenue).

*) Having said that, I think both local and streaming can co-exist. If PS Now along with PS+ would be like 5€ extra/month, I would probably take it, at least for a while. I never had a PS3 so there are many games I've missed. Yes, the usual caveats for streaming apply, and I wouldn't play for example fighting games and FPSs with it, but something like action/adventure, puzzle games, RPGs - why not. I did try the free trial and had fun with for example InFamous, it was very playable - I gather the controls aren't exactly air-tight originally, so some floatiness didn't bother me.

Kenpachii

It won't co-exist. Console gaming has always been about trade offs for cheaper prices and easier to get things done. If streaming will bring this console gaming will become pointless. And no we are not there yet technology wise but people accept trade offs easy.

PC will stay next towards it for the enthusiasts but even that will get a massive hit if u can get all games for 10 bucks a month access towards like netflix. With gamepass for example is already doing.

Last edited:

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
You really thing streaming is the future of gaming? Even with lag and graphic artifacts? I just hope it's not a streaming only future...
I sure hope not. I'd stop playing modern games if that were the future. I have zero interest in streaming.

I don't think it will become the sole future, however. That's not even the case with movies and music right now and those are much better suited to streaming than games will ever be.

Last edited:

MacReady13

I sure hope not. I'd stop playing modern games if that were the future. I have zero interest in streaming.

I don't think it will become the sole future, however. That's not even the case with movies and music right now and those are much better suited to streaming than games will ever be.

Glad to hear. We think 100% alike.

MacReady13

you can still buy your movies and music physically, in fact the searches for vinyl have been going up. Phil Spencer said many times they believe streaming will be an alternative, they are not marketing it like stadia.

I'm really hoping it's not the only way to play games in the future...

Top Bottom