• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Metro Redux (Console Analysis)

stryke

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-metro-redux-performance-analysis

Summary:

• PS4 - 1080p
  • X1 - 912p
  • Both hold 60 fps well
  • Pixel crawling more prominent in X1 due to lower resolution; otherwise PPPA, assets, texture filtering, draw distance etc seem to be the same across the board
  • I spotted crushed blacks in the X1 version which seem more prominent indoors, wasn't mentioned in the article
  • 4A uses the DS4 lightbar to emulate the protagonist's wrist watch indicating visibility to enemies
  • Separate article will deal with PC

Biggzy

4A games really has done an excellent jobs with both ports. I know I will be downloading Last Light for the Xbox One.

SkylineRKR

I might buy this. Never played either game and you'll get 2 games at a lower price which I feel is going to be rare this gen.

Seeing the video they showed, the console versions do not have any of the volumetric lighting the PC version has, or the tesselation. Hope that stays in the PC version!

I really like that it maintains a flat 60, they deserve much praise for that.

Good news. 60 fps locked is too awesome to pass. But too many new games to play in coming months so I will pass. I have both games on Steam though, got Last Light in GAF giveaway :)

drotahorror

Still very impressed 4A pulled this off. Bravo to them foreal.

Can't wait to play these games again. (and actually beat 2033)

theDeeDubs

Not a fan of the controller gimmicks. I didn't like how they used it in Thief either. It's more distracting than immersive. Glad they achieved 60 fps on both though.

EGM1966

Pretty good. PS4 still comes on top, but only slightly. Day 1 here.

It's great work on each console but c'mon, the resolution difference is more than a "slight" difference.

Would love to see more developers lock to 60fps first then sort out detail level/resolution balance issues - as these titles show you can have good looking games at 60fps on both PS4/XB1 and at decent resolutions too.

I'm really torn between getting the reduced price versions on Steam (as I have both already on PC) as those will surely be best versions or trying these out on my TV via console experience (or whether to be really supportive of the devs and go for both)

d9b

Banned
Slightly? You don't get how resolutions work man.

No day 1 boost patch for the bone?

It's great work on each console but c'mon, the resolution difference is more than a "slight" difference.

Would love to see more developers lock to 60fps first then sort out detail level/resolution balance issues - as these titles show you can have good looking games at 60fps on both PS4/XB1 and at decent resolutions too.

I'm really torn between getting the reduced price versions on Steam (as I have both already on PC) as those will surely be best versions or trying these out on my TV via console experience (or whether to be really supportive of the devs and go for both)

For F sake people, read the article. And I said I'm buying this for PS4.

not that surprising people taking you out of context when related to ps4 power , i knew what you meant by slightly

In the case of Metro Redux, both Xbox One and PlayStation 4 versions look extremely similar, with just the level of post-process AA pixel crawl separating them. Outside of anti-aliasing artefact, in terms of actual boosts to detail on PS4, the comparison zoomers below demonstrate the difference - for the most part, there's not much in it, with only foliage and extreme close-ups on textures yielding much in the way of an advantage.

Kezen

Banned
So no difference whatsoever between the two versions aside from resolution ? No higher quality effects on PS4 ?

cheezcake

Seeing the video they showed, the console versions do not have any of the volumetric lighting the PC version has, or the tesselation. Hope that stays in the PC version!

I really like that it maintains a flat 60, they deserve much praise for that.

None of the volumetric lighting at all? =(
That's a little disappointing, 2033 was chock full of them and it looked really stunning.

Seanspeed

Banned
Yes slightly, by rendering 33.5% more pixels on screen.
33.5% more pixels rendered does not make for anything like a 33.5% better looking image, though. As resolution goes up, the numbers go up exponentially all the while the return for the extra pixels diminishes. Rapidly in many cases.

Its a number shock argument rather than anything that meaningful. Says more about the machine running it than the actual comparison in visuals.

And you know all this, too...

Grimløck;125651438 said:
what's "pixel crawling" mean? good on 60fps on both consoles.
Others have described what it is, but you may have also heard it been called 'shimmering'.

Grimløck;125651438 said:
what's "pixel crawling" mean? good on 60fps on both consoles.

Aliasing around the edges of objects when you move the camera. Don't know if you played PT but there's a great example of it in the first hallway. Your character breathes so the camera is constantly moving, if you look at the paintings/photos on the wall there is aliasing that creeps up and down.

theDeeDubs

So no difference whatsoever between the two versions aside from resolution ? No higher quality effects on PS4 ?

The light on the controller gets more annoying? :)

After watching the framerate comparison, man they really locked it down on both. Good news for everyone here.

cheezcake

Slightly? You don't get how resolutions work man.

No day 1 boost patch for the bone?

33.5% more pixels on screen is a useful metric when discussing relative power of the machines. But its a pretty useless metric when it comes to how different the images look, which is what that guy seemed to be talking about.

Edit: Beaten by Seanspeed

Kezen

Banned
None of the volumetric lighting at all? =(
That's a little disappointing, 2033 was chock full of them and it looked really stunning.

And people complained about performance without even trying to understand the tech behind. 2033 was a bit inconsistent in the graphics department on PC but it looked truly stunning at times.
I'd argue it still does to this day. The only offenders are the character models.

Slightly better foliage and some better textures on PS4.
I'm not seeing the better textures. It's due to 900p looking somewhat blurry on Xbox One.
Texture quality is identical.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Would it not be closer to a 28-29% difference (if the same 1.78 ratio is used), not that it really matters, another really great showing yet again by PS4!

I never played the Metro games and dunno if I can hold out for the Master Chief collection, are both Metro titles worth picking up or is one much better than the other?

The screenshot comparison tool, at least for me, makes the xbone version look better.

It's like it usually is with these DF comparison, the X1 version looks darker compared to the PS4, and therefore makes it look more appealing to some. I find the blacks to be a little crushed on the X1 version here.

I've never understood why so many DF comparisons show the PS4 footage/screenshots to have a slightly washed-out image to them, because the games never look like that when I play them.

I'm not seeing the better textures. It's due to 900p looking somewhat blurry on Xbox One.
Texture quality is identical.

It's not. You can clearly see a difference in texture quality when using the comparison tool.

oUtoH5b.jpg

The gas mask, her outfit, the rust on the car in the foreground are the ones that immediately stood out to me.

EGM1966

I did read the article, which also made a point of not emphasizing the difference or quantifying it either - it's a percentage value that goes way beyond "slightly".

Both versions are good, XB1 as some very slight screen tear (mostly hidden due to clever design) and a lower resolution which is noticeable compared to 1080p assets when compared.

I'm impressed with the work on both versions but I don't like DF (or anyone else) playing the "not that noticeable" card when it is noticeable and when far, far smaller differences in the past have been hugely emphasized. 912p (and likely associated lower horizontal resolution) is a moderate resolution drop from 1080p (and likely higher horizontal resolution).

I'd guess the situation is something like:

• PS4 : 1920x1080 = 2073600 pixels
  • XB1 : 1620x912 = 1477440 pixels

That's more than slight difference - I can't be bothered to calc it percentage wise but PS4 looks to have a more than 25% resolution advantage there.

Due to decent up-scaling and AA it's going to look good on XB1 but it's going to look more than slightly better on PS4 particularly when in motion with less pixel crawl/shimmering and clearer assets (particularly when outdoors with longer draw distance) too but I expect DF (or any tech analysis) to point this out more strongly and to confirm both horizontal and vertical resolution (which DF seems to have omitted in this case and I'm guessing based on normal ratio between the two).

I'm not knocking the XB1 version but I am knocking playing down a more than slight technical difference in a technical analysis (and I don't think just cause DF seem to be downplaying it in their wording excuses it either).

RexNovis

Banned
This is the same ol same ol at this point. The game looks incredible and frankly I'm amazed it's a rock solid 60 on either platform. XB1 still pushing those random resolutions but it least it's maintaining a solid 60 this time around so yay for progress!

Seanspeed

Banned
I'd guess the situation is something like:

• PS4 : 1920x1080 = 2073600 pixels
  • XB1 : 1620x912 = 1477440 pixels

That's more than slight difference - I can't be bothered to calc it percentage wise but PS4 looks to have a more than 25% resolution advantage there.
Gone over this already.

Anyways, 'slight' or 'a bit' or whatever are subjective terms. You cannot objectively prove somebody wrong if they say they think the PS4 only looks 'slightly' better.

moniker

PS4 version renders more than 40% more pixels than the XBO (assuming that they both render square pixels).

theDeeDubs

I've never understood why so many DF comparisons show the PS4 footage/screenshots to have a slightly washed-out image to them, because the games never look like that when I play them.

I think it's more noticeable when you have something beside it to compare it too, similar to the optical illusion puzzles and how they play with color. I used to think they looked extra washed out until I started playing both versions of some games at the same time while switching inputs back and forth. Having that contrast produced a similar effect on me (washed out on PS4 and crushed blacks on XB1).

Even though I'll probably pick this up on XB1, I will say that if the crushed blacks are bad, it will affect some areas of 2033 (haven't played LL yet) badly if you're going stealth.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
It's not. You can clearly see a difference in texture quality when using the comparison tool.

http://i.imgur.com/oUtoH5b.jpg

The gas mask, her outfit, the rust on the car in the foreground are the ones that immediately stood out to me.

Based on that image, it looks previous gen on Xbox One. Big difference. If someone said "what does something with 40% more detail look like?", I'd definitely imagine this.

cheezcake

And people complained about performance without even trying to understand the tech behind. 2033 was a bit inconsistent in the graphics department on PC but it looked truly stunning at times.
I'd argue it still does to this day. The only offenders are the character models.

Yeh I still remember the part where the guys opens the doors out of the metro, the fog rolls in and the volumetric lighting shines through behind it. Looked crazy good.

iceatcs

Gone over this already.

Anyways, 'slight' or 'a bit' or whatever are subjective terms. You cannot objectively prove somebody wrong if they say they think the PS4 only looks 'slightly' better.
But you also cannot prove somebody are not right to call someone thought of this. So what the point then.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Last gen is taking it a bit too far. The differences are subtle, but they are definitely there in favor of PS4.

Sorry, didn't edit quickly enough.

I just added that if someone asked me what an image with 40% more detail added to it would look like, I'd definitely be thinking of that image. That image is maybe even more different than I'd expect 40% to represent.

GenericUser

It's so cool to own a PS4 and get all these titles in their "definitive" console form. I currently really get the next gen vibe when I play games on my ps4. I like it!

Gurish

OK so technically games are great, it's good to hear, but which one of the two considered to be the better one if I've never played them?

And is the campaign feels varied and intresting enough with a good pacing or are you most of the time just shoot endless waves of enemies?

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
PS4 version renders more than 40% more pixels than the XBO (assuming that they both render square pixels).

Sorry, didn't edit quickly enough.

I just added that if someone asked me what an image with 40% more detail added to it would look like, I'd definitely be thinking of that image. That image is maybe even more different than I'd expect 40% to represent.
It's not 40% though.

Top Bottom