• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] New Scorpio Spec Leak: ESRAM Gone, GPU Features Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
There are still people who think the entry price on Scorpio will be higher than $399?

Even with Zen I thought it would be $399, if it has Jaguar or Puma then it's a certainty you can bank your house on.

MS messaging is working. The more they sow the seeds of a premium device and 'high end', you'll normalise the potential of it being $499 or even $599 apparently. So when it is revealed at $399 you'll get a nice wave of positivity due to the lower than expected price. And that might also be enough to carry you over any negativity on the specs

Crayon

xbone to scorpio:

3g3tFQS.gif

cakely

MS messaging is working. The more they sow the seeds of a premium device and 'high end', you'll normalise the potential of it being $499 or even $599 apparently. So when it is revealed at $399 you'll get a nice wave of positivity due to the lower than expected price. And that might also be enough to carry you over any negativity on the specs

This, exactly. It's just great marketing ... under-promise by setting up the exceptions for a premium $500 price and then over-deliver by shipping at $400.

Chobel

LOL. They of course want to sell as much hardware as possible but never at a price so low that the software could never make up for it. MS doesn't only make money when they are outselling the competition. They could sell 1/10 of the units. As long as they are making profit it doesn't matter.

Why they're so aggressive in their bundles and deals?

And they do care if they got significantly outsold by their competition, one PS console sold is potentially one less Xbox console sold.

Ricky_R

The only way Scorpio is getting any traction is if it's $399 or less. Anything over $400 and it'll be dead in the water.

The fact that it won't be a next gen console will put off most people. Usually a new gen console over $400 struggles so imagine one that's only an upgrade.

MS would be crazy to launch that thing at anything over $399.

Looking at the recent quarterly results from MS I don't think that profit per console sold is a huge factor for them. Hardware profit was down, but digital sales revenue was incredible. I don't recall the exact number, but to me it was pretty impressive.

Possibly sell at a loss, and generate profit via software, digital purchases and XBL, after all, they are aiming to be a software and services company.

Scorpio is just another place to purchase and play Xbox games.

Just my two cents.

Malcolm9

As much as I enjoy my PS4 Pro developers haven't really utilised the extra power as much as they could, so I wonder how much they will bring in when the Scorpio comes along.

For me I hope it brings more graphical modes/options for both consoles ideally.

Ushay

And there's the issue. If it's $400 people will say "oh they gimped on power not a big enough difference from the pro" and if it's $500 with a better CPU people will say "too expansive dead on arrival."

Scorpio is in a lose lose situation here. The complaints are pre loaded no matter what happens.
No, the few are making enough noise to make it represent the many. If it's $399 that is a good price, great even.

Both my PS4 and Xbone burned up in a warehouse fire when I moved. I bought a PS4Pro to replace the PS4 and will get a Scorpio to replace the Xbone. I'm excited to see what the final product is like.

SOR5

I had a funny encounter with Tim Dog a while ago,

I made a outrageous joke post declaring doom and gloom upon Redmond, he took it a bit seriously and went in on the offensive.

Very confused as to why a lot of cyber-hate from stangers was shooting my way I reached out to the man, and a poster here you're very familiar with by the name of Chobel reached out to the man and reasoned with him without any instruction of mine, also a guy with the twitter handle TeamVernia

'That' side of the Xbox community was very apologetic and Tim Dog even sincerely offered me a copy of Inside as an olive branch, on top of that the fact that a Gaffer even bothered to calm the waters by their own initiative was all sort of insignificant but meant a lot to me

It was a nice symbol of the gaming community at its worst and best, which is why I'm asking, even though Tim Dog might stand for a bizaare degree of loyalty for a brand, were all human beings discussing a thing that makes us happy, try and maintain that mindset. If you were wearing a PlayStation hoody I doubt he would immediately be antagonistic towards you.

Were all good people, its alright to disagree and question an internet personality, but seriously keep things in perspective

A 550$ or 599$ Xbox though? It would likely be a disaster.

What good is a very small niche of high-end Xboxes going to do for their business?

What is your investment in all of this by the way? It sure appears from my end you could care less what price it is because I have yet seen any interest from you. To reach your threshold on pricing of $399 would mean its not going to be that much of a jump over the PS4 Pro so why would anyone who is invested in the PS4 jump ship? If it's over $399 you are warning everyone it will just be a niche product and sell even worse than the XBox One is. Either way you've set this thing up to receive a lukewarm welcome.

That is a key word.

Xbox is not competing with Playstation, they are figthing the battle (for years) to be relevant next to Windows, Office and Server business

And I can see where you're coming from, but really if Microsoft didn't think Xbox as a key business strategy would they continue to dump money into a division that is failing? Past ventures into hardware they aren't fisable and fail, they drop it like it's nothing. Microsoft Band, Zune, Kin, and others are fine examples.

I'd say MS is content with Xbox's position and revenues, otherwise Scorpio wouldn't be happening.

I'm squarely in the $500 launch with the best possible specs that you can cram in at that price camp.

• Option 1: 6TF with Jaguar Cores @ $400
  • Option 2: $500 with beefier custom excavator or Ryzen M CPU

I'll take option 2 ALL DAY. I would still buy option 1 because the GPU/bandwidth increases will be great, but I would prefer option 2. In my humble opinion if you want the cheap option, stick with the XBOX One S. Those of us who invested more than 1K in a 4K TV want this thing bumpin. Price will come down over time. Of course I'm not saying that I'm in the majority or anything. It's just what I would personally want. Save your tax return money folks :)

JaggedSac

We must go deeper.

Lady Gaia

As much as I enjoy my PS4 Pro developers haven't really utilised the extra power as much as they could, so I wonder how much they will bring in when the Scorpio comes along.

For me I hope it brings more graphical modes/options for both consoles ideally.

It certainly helps that developers have been thinking about more powerful consoles since the Pro was first discussed with third parties at GDC last year. They've had less than a year to alter plans for software under development so far, which has led to the predictable underutilization of new hardware to date. By the time Scorpio launches it will have been on their minds for longer and we may have seen a few first-party titles for the Pro that do a good job of showcasing the difference (I can only assume first-party developers have known about the hardware for somewhat longer.)

Scorpio should benefit at least somewhat from the first round of third-party holiday releases whose development have been influenced by the new hardware.

Hawk269

I believe reveal events have historically been in May. 1 month before E3. Right now MS is probably working on what games to show off with it and HOW. Now that we're in this weird spot where gaming is higher res than most media today they have to figure out how to show 4K and HDR to the masses without relying on "trust me guys and gals".

They'll need a presence inside of retail stores like best buy and the brick and mortar MS Stores before release with demos too to push it. They have really stepped up their retail presence over the past 4 years as before they were virtually not represented while Apple was killing it.

Agree. They will need to be really careful on how they say and show things. Sony tried to push HDR in the PRO presentation way too much and majority of people watching could not tell because it is something you have to see in person. But if they show side by side games running on each console and they talk about the differences and that is backed up I think they should be able to send a clear message about Scorpio.

Locuza

Where did I make false equivalence? The going rumor is 32CU for vega 11, like Polaris 10.
P10 uses 36 CUs and there are no sensible rumors around about how many CUs V11 might have.
In my eyes it's way more likely that V11 will fill the huge void between P10 with 36 CUs (232mm²) and V10 with 64 CUs (under 500mm²).

I meant if they are ambitious enough to ditch jaguar and go with PUMA, which is considered a different CPU in how its strutured for much better effciency even though the architecture is basically the same
[...]
I really hate the marketing spin in this regard.
You could already give the cores in the PS4 Slim, Xbox One S and PS4 Pro new names basically because all of them are using the Jaguar architecture but with new FinFET transistors in accordance with an optimized physical design, Puma was nothing more but on a regular/planar transistor design.

That isn't to say MS is going third party. Having their own platforms is a key aspect of that strategy.

They would leave the market completely before that. They have used games in the past to promote the Windows platform as a place to game. I think dividing Xbox and Windows early on was a huge mistake. As long as they aren't selling the hardware at a loss it makes no sense to make games exclusive to hardware that is running Windows even if it's not a full OS.

THE:MILKMAN

I'm squarely in the $500 launch with the best possible specs that you can cram in at that price camp.

• Option 1: 6TF with Jaguar Cores @ $400
  • Option 2: $500 with beefier custom excavator or Ryzen M CPU

I'll take option 2 ALL DAY. I would still buy option 1 because the GPU/bandwidth increases will be great, but I would prefer option 2. In my humble opinion if you want the cheap option, stick with the XBOX One S. Those of us who invested more than 1K in a 4K TV want this thing bumpin. Price will come down over time. Of course I'm not saying that I'm in the majority or anything. It's just what I would personally want. Save your tax return money folks :)

It wouldn't shock me if it was $500 for option 1. With a Polaris GPU+bits of Vega tech plus 4k BD plus premium build/design.

P10 uses 36 CUs and there are no sensible rumors around about how many CUs V11 might have.
In my eyes it's way more likely that V11 will fill the huge void between P10 with 36 CUs (232mm²) and V10 with 64 CUs (under 500mm²).

I really hate the marketing spin in this regard.
You could already give the cores in the PS4 Slim, Xbox One S and PS4 Pro new names basically because all of them are using the Jaguar architecture but with new FinFET transistors in accordance with an optimized physical design, Puma was nothing more but on a regular/planar transistor design.

Yes puma over jaguar is basically zero architectural improvement.
Puma is jaguar.

A difference would be excavator (excavator cores are even a big difference from the original bulldozer cores) or zen

This is ryzen:
Zeppelin_Die_stitched_labelled.png

Lynn616

Why they're so aggressive in their bundles and deals?

I said what I thought in my last post. They want to sell as much hardware as possible but never at a price so low that the software could never make up for it. That is obvious.

And they do care if they got significantly outsold by their competition, one PS console sold is potentially one less Xbox console sold.

I am sure they do but like I said not at the cost of profit.

I know. I fear that. I was trying not to say it out loud for fear of giving it life.

I wouldn't worry about giving anything life. This hardware has been locked down for a while now (outside tweaks a la Xbox One) whatever the specs.

Actually has anyone thought about APU die size? How big is the PS4 Pro die and realistically what would be the upper limit for Scorpio? Surely this metric alone will point to likely specs?

Hawk269

Which is why things like Zen, 12 GB GDDR5X and 8TF+ are extremely unlikely.
They simply don't need to go that hard on the specs to take the graphics crown, and by doing so they can also keep the entry prices low.

I know that isn't fun to speculate about, but i'm very much doubting Microsoft is that incompetent to piss away all that potential just to squeeze in a better chip to please Senjutsu and friends.

Why are we pretending like the PC/Ultrabook market is similar to the dedicated gaming console market?

Come on man. No need for that.

Anyways, in response to the rest of your post, with Phil constantly talking about it being a premium console and all, there have been 2 school of thoughts. One that he is just saying that and then it launches at $399.99 and everyone is expecting it to be higher or the other and it is really expensive.

If it is really is expensive, then the specs need to match that. I don't think a $499.99 or more console that is 6tf, 12gb RAM and a Jaguar CPU would justify $499 or more. So if it is $499 or higher, it has to contain something a bit more. I just don't think 4 more GB or RAM and 1.8tf over the PRO would be $100+ more than the PRO.

Gestault

Tell that to MS shareholders. MS is the company to outperform the markets.

Just making profit is not good enough I'm afraid.

You're "afraid"? So long as the retail price minus the underlying costs/distritbution is more than the average market investment gain (which is no grand figure), then they're golden by investment standards. With the volume of capital Microsoft has ready for investment, a figure that exceeds the rate of inflation for its home country would put that decision in an acceptable place.

That framework is no a guarantee that it will be a success, but downplaying performance for "merely" being ahead of half the market (and just as likely more than half the market) is being overly critical. Any investor worth their pennies would see that.

vpance

I just don't think 4 more GB or RAM and 1.8tf over the PRO would be $100+ more than the PRO.

Why not? Bigger, hotter APU = more cooling, stronger PSU and most likely a bigger box than the Pro. Plus, with the addition of a UHD drive I can easily see there being a $100 cost difference at the very least.

It won't be a Polaris GPU, it will be Vega with some Navi features.

Sure it could be Vega 11 or cut down Vega 10 but then if it does turn out to be using Jaguar cores then it will be even more unbalanced than the current base consoles. The ideal would be to have both Vega and new CPU but that seems the most unrealistic outcome.

Whatever it is I doubt Microsoft are going to fire one up on launch day only to watch it's 'monster' GPU grind to a halt because of the CPU not pulling it's weight. I'm sure it will all work just as planned, Jaguar or no Jaguar.

With most console games running at 30fps anyway, I don't know why everyone is making such a big deal over the CPU. It will do the job.

Yep sorry meant 36. There's currently nothing slotted below vega 11 that we know of that is coming so it's entirely feasible that, like in years past, a slightly disabled vega 10 will serve in that gap.

TLZ

Banned
I find it funny how obsessed so many on GAF seem to be with this one guy. Does his being an unapologetic and enthusiastic Xbox fan annoy you people that much? The specific, targeted attention he gets, and how strongly sustained, from just about everyone is borderline disturbing. People on here pick apart the dumbest of things and the tiniest of details simply to attack the guy. Does it make everyone feel better about themselves? He literally gets targeted and singled out in every major thread having to do with anything pertaining to Xbox - whether positive xbox news or negative xbox news - on this entire forum. You're most likely to see him attacked consistently and more aggressively if the thread is somehow construed as good Xbox news. Not a flattering trend guys.

I don't know who's obsessed and can't even imagine the thought of it (ugh), but his tweet was brought up as "proof" of a certain rumor being fake, and that was funny. Then his defense force jumped out of nowhere.

My personal issue with him is this: I once read a tweet of his around E3 I think. He had Phil Spencer's @ in his tweet. So I replied to his tweet asking something genuine about what he tweeted. I don't troll. I didn't even know who Tim dog was back then. The mongrel straight up responded with something like "why are you tagging Phil" or "why are you dragging him into this? Blocked". Like what the actual fuck kind of childish manner is that coming from someone who's supposedly mature? All I did was read his tweet, click on reply, typed a question and sent. Phil was auto tagged in because he had him in. But that doesn't justify me being blocked? I'm pretty sure my question was genuine enough I could've asked Phil the same question if he himself have tweeted the same thing and I wouldn't imagine in a million years being blocked. Long story short, he gave me the impression he's a man child because of what he did. And reading his other tweets cemented that. So calling him a nice person is a bit rich. If he practices such behavior and is still being called a nice person, then what have people left for actual legit nice people?

So if after what I've personally experienced and read I see some people quickly jumping in his defense, I know what I'm in for. I know you're defending that behavior of his that I'm incompatible with. If he wants to be seen in a different light then he should present himself with better attitude. You love him all you want. I won't. And I'm not getting into arguments about this. Thank you. And I'm done here.

Edit: Slight correction. I started tagging Phil, and it was to show Tim where he's at; knowing top people like Phil and so concentrate your efforts there, not concern yourself with forum gossip. And I was trying to give him some advice. Here's exactly what happened:

Tim
Gaf now losing its mind upset about Scorpio chatter, that piece of shit forum now is talking about me again HAHAHAHA https://t.co/gGlfnd0SYN
(uugghhh...)

Me
@PNF4LYFE Dude... why do you care about some internet forum so much when you're friends with @XboxP3. C'mon man.
(I'm limited to 140, and I'm trying to tell him to focus his energy where it matters, I mean you're in contact with Phil fgs. Focus your energy there instead of wasting it on forum gossip)

Tim
@XboxP3 they are the ones crying about me, they also push a negative light onto Xbox, I will expose them for the frauds they are
(sigh... If this isn't childish I don't know what is, but anyway I still try being sensible)

Me
@PaNF4LYFE @XboxP3 You do realize they are but a few. Xbox has 10s of millions of fans. You're better off just ignoring.
(trying to be sensible again, just giving advice to drop it)

Tim
@XboxP3 and stop tagging Phil with this too, he don't care dude , muting you
(aaaand there you have it. I was muted for trying to give advice :/ funny thing is he was tagging phil with his stupidly childish responses. He could've easily removed him from it, but I guess he felt embarrassed?)

And some tell me this person is nice.... Sigh...

BillyJack

Banned
The market that wants the best version of Third Party games.

Everyone? You know that isn't true. MS doesn't need to outsell anyone to be successful. Just profitable. So they can price it whatever they like. $499, $549 or higher.

If they love MS exclusives then some might like to have them run and look better. I know I have seen a few on Gaf say they got the Pro to play games they had already played just because it looked or played better. Regardless, most don't buy for exclusives. Receipts? Look at the top 20 played on either system.

I don't think anything could pull more than a few of the PC crowd and for good reasons. Having nothing to do with power.

You just basically said the same thing as me that it's catering to a niche market.

Hawk269

Whatever it is I doubt Microsoft are going to fire one up on launch day only to watch it's 'monster' GPU grind to a halt because of the CPU not pulling it's weight. I'm sure it will all work just as planned, Jaguar or no Jaguar.

With most console games running at 30fps anyway, I don't know why everyone is making such a big deal over the CPU. It will do the job.

I think the reason people are making a big deal about it is that the PRO is using Jaguar and some PRO games are being handicapped by the Jaguar CPU. I think that is reason enough. If Scorpio also has a Jaguar, I would expect them to have some bottle necks with it as well. I think that is why so many are hoping it has something better. If MS intended to use Jaguar, I wonder why they just did not say that in that promo video shown at E3? All they say is 8 Core CPU, if the plan was to use Jaguar, they would of just left it out of the presentation or just said a high clocked Jaguar.

Or zero Navi features.

I fully expect that if PS4 Pro managed some Vega features on a Polaris GPU, that Scorpio, launching a year later, will manage some Navi features on a Vega GPU. It is a totally realistic expectation based on current information. Microsoft didn't just wait till 2017 for a 6TF GPU; there are other considerations that went into their decision, of which a more advanced architecture with some new features would have certainly played an important role.

viHuGi

Banned
Tell that to MS shareholders. MS is the company to outperform the markets.

Just making profit is not good enough I'm afraid.

They should go for profit and marketshare so they need to make sure they can get a good price that brings on money, if they lose money on this console and it still doesn´t sell well enough i dont know man they are losing marketshare in all fronts these days, they can´t afford to lose anymore on the Console space, specially since the efforts they made with 360.

Scorpio needs to take Xbox brand back to 360 days, they will never win against Sony but at least they can be much more competitive and win USA and UK again maybe.

Locuza

Yep sorry meant 36. There's currently nothing slotted below vega 11 that we know of that is coming so it's entirely feasible that, like in years past, a slightly disabled vega 10 will serve in that gap.
The gap is too large, even a disabled V10 chip couldn't fill it.
For example V11 could have 48 CUs and a die size around 350mm².

I think the reason people are making a big deal about it is that the PRO is using Jaguar and some PRO games are being handicapped by the Jaguar CPU. I think that is reason enough. If Scorpio also has a Jaguar, I would expect them to have some bottle necks with it as well. I think that is why so many are hoping it has something better. If MS intended to use Jaguar, I wonder why they just did not say that in that promo video shown at E3? All they say is 8 Core CPU, if the plan was to use Jaguar, they would of just left it out of the presentation or just said a high clocked Jaguar.

But you don't know if the Pro is CPU limited in those instances, or are they trying to stretch the GPU too far with resolution and graphics? Are they bandwidth limited in those instances?

Poor optimisation is the reason for shoddy performance not the hardware. All these consoles are capable of running at a solid, stable framerate. The hardware may not be perfectly balanced but it's up to the devs to get the best out of it.

Of course the Jaguar is far from good and a new CPU would be very welcome, but it isn't going to change things a great deal either. The GPU, it's greater bandwidth and the extra RAM will be doing the heavy lifting.

But who knows, maybe they will launch a nuke or two come June. I doubt it though, the timing doesn't add up.

People seem to be expecting an entirely different machine just with a CPU change. Which BTW if they do use Zen, it will only be a low powered one.

Locuza

I fully expect that if PS4 Pro managed some Vega features on a Polaris GPU, that Scorpio, launching a year later, will manage some Navi features on a Vega GPU. It is a totally realistic expectation based on current information. Microsoft didn't just wait till 2017 for a 6TF GPU; there are other considerations that went into their decision, of which a more advanced architecture with some new features would have certainly played an important role.
The PS4 Pro managed just to have two features beyond Polaris tech, packed math and an advanced work distributor.
It's very important to know when the developmant cycle started and which IP blocks could be updated, there is no general rule to expect.
I wouldn't hold my breath for Navi features let alone already claim that it will have some, where even if it has, it could be anything from small and neglectable to fairly considerable.

The PS4 Pro managed just to have two features beyond Polaris tech, packed math and an advanced work distributor.
It's very important to know when the developmant cycle started and which IP blocks could be updated, there is no general rule to expect.
I wouldn't hold my breath for Navi features let alone already claim that it will have some, where even if it has, it could be anything from small and neglectable to fairly considerable.

do we even know exclusive new navi features yet?
i didn't read anything

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
I personally feel like this will come put at 400$ with Zen and Vega. When listening to Phil in interview about how they cpuld have released something in 2016 similar to PS4 Pro but decided to wait until 2017 for something more worthwhile, you can tell they were waiting for something big, and my guess is that they were waiting for something more than just a GPU upgrade.

Only time will tell, but I feel like a lot of people will be surprised when specs are anounced. I wasn't disappointed by Xbox One, but Microsoft knows a lot of people were and they are looking to fix those mistakes.

Chobel

I said what I thought in my last post. They want to sell as much hardware as possible but never at a price so low that the software could never make up for it. That is obvious.

I am sure they do but like I said not at the cost of profit.

Well yeah, they're not gonna sell $500 worth console at $400. They gonna sell $400 worth console at $400.

However you said Scoprio at $500 or $400 doesn't matter, while it matters a lot. They're not gonna sell a $500 console when they can sell a shit ton more $400 consoles.

statham

Pro Jag cpu is 2.1, it can be clocked at 2.5, if MS gets that it'll still be a 20% increase. Games should have better framerate and resolution.

I find it funny how obsessed so many on GAF seem to be with this one guy. Does his being an unapologetic and enthusiastic Xbox fan annoy you people that much? The specific, targeted attention he gets, and how strongly sustained, from just about everyone is borderline disturbing. People on here pick apart the dumbest of things and the tiniest of details simply to attack the guy. Does it make everyone feel better about themselves? He literally gets targeted and singled out in every major thread having to do with anything pertaining to Xbox - whether positive xbox news or negative xbox news - on this entire forum. You're most likely to see him attacked consistently and more aggressively if the thread is somehow construed as good Xbox news. Not a flattering trend guys.

I can't even

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

From AMDs side the only official information was the roadmap:
AMD-Roadmap-2016-2018-1458068386-0-12.jpg

- Scalability
- Next Gen Memory
- Better Perf/Watt

nothing more.

VideocardZ leaked (if they are not faked) some roadmap slides in regards to professional products where Navi will launch in 2019.
https://videocardz.com/65521/amd-vega-10-and-vega-20-slides-revealed

yeah and that are no compute features or anything
scorpio won't have HBM or the successor
improved perf/watt is always the goal for each new gpu
and scalability is just a very general trivial term

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom