• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] New Scorpio Spec Leak: ESRAM Gone, GPU Features Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

cakely

The One branding isn't hard to figure out. It was meant to be the One place to go for games, tv, movies, etc.. I mean I'd be more annoyed at the 360 branding and even that had some sense behind it's naming. Also how would you advertise the One S? It's a games system and 4K media player. It's currently the only way to play games and get 4K Bluray and streaming, hence the "ultimate" moniker. Where's the confusion?

When you call an Xbox One "ultimate", it implies that it won't be immediately followed by another Xbox One that's far more powerful.

"Xbox" was a perfect console name. Xbox 360 was a terrible name, and it probably led to directly Xbox One. The consoles should have been named the Xbox, Xbox 2, and Xbox 3.

Now, they're just stuck with coming up with a series of nonsense names.

okay, i suck at marketing so i remove my assumption of scoropio in the final name and go back to this name i think it will have.

XBOX QUATTRO

MilkyJoe

Hey, what about Xbox Vega? I like it.

XV :)

pJLyy_s-200x150.gif

Prepare to be shocked. If that's the movie I think it is, I have never, not once in my entire life, seen Pulp Fiction outside of brief clip references to it and online still media or gifs. I've seen all other tarantino movies, but I don't know why I never got around to checking out pulp fiction.

krang

Prepare to be shocked. If that's the movie I think it is, I have never, not once in my entire life, seen Pulp Fiction outside of brief clip references to it and online still media or gifs. I've seen all other tarantino movies, but I don't know why I never got around to checking out pulp fiction.

You're not missing much.

It's far and away the best Tarantino movie. It's the reason he gets to make any ridiculous movie he wants.

ThEoRy...

When you call an Xbox One "ultimate", it implies that it won't be immediately followed by another Xbox One that's far more powerful.

"Xbox" was a perfect console name. Xbox 360 was a terrible name, and it probably led to directly Xbox One. The consoles should have been named the Xbox, Xbox 2, and Xbox 3.

Yeah but you can't have Xbox 2 vs play station 3 at the same time because people are just that stupid. Seriously I heard about it back when ps2 came out vs dreamcast. "well 2 is higher so it must be better." MS simply had to create a naming scheme for the 360 that had a 3 in it. Why they went with "one" for its successor is beyond me though. I get what it stands for but it's just brand confusion at this point. Should be interesting to see what they come up with to say the least.

Well,there are a lot of people to correct on the internet. You can be forgiven.

But seriously, it's still his best film.

jelly

Given what Phil said about it being premium priced,

A- He is exaggerating for the PR surprise of $399 which makes sense if it's just PS4 Pro 1 year later more or less, taking advantage of new available tech.

B -If it's more than 399 for a PS4 Pro 1 year later tech wise then lol, Microsoft are taking the piss. Some extra RAM doesn't cut it.

C - The last option is it's more than $399 packed with Zen, unlikely as that may be.

I'm going with A.

Kill Bill is my fave.

I think we can all have different favorites. I might even think Hateful Eight knocked Kill Bill off as my favorite.

But Pulp Fiction is damn near perfection from start to finish. I left the theater feeling like I saw three awesome films. It's his best by a ridiculous degree.

MilkyJoe

I think we can all have different favorites. I might even think Hateful Eight knocked Kill Bill off as my favorite.

But Pulp Fiction is damn near perfection from start to finish. I left the theater feeling like I saw three awesome films. It's his best by a ridiculous degree.

Have you seen Four Rooms?

massucci

Banned
Given what Phil said about it being premium priced,

A- He is exaggerating for the PR surprise of $399 which makes sense if it's just PS4 Pro 1 year later more or less, taking advantage of new available tech.

B -If it's more than 399 for a PS4 Pro 1 year later tech wise then lol, Microsoft are taking the piss. Some extra RAM doesn't cut it.

C - The last option is it's more than $399 packed with Zen, unlikely as that may be.

I'm going with A.
Isn't it even 599$ too low for Zen and the other stuff expected? Looking to the Spencer way to lead the Xbox division, he seems more inclined toward the 'conservative' approach than to the riskier.

EvB

Unlike Genesis, GameCube, Dreamcast , Saturn, Megadrive, Mastersystem and the PLAYSTATION?

The reason that they didn't go with Xbox 2 was because the PS3 was coming up and they didn't want to be a digit behind.

Watch as they undo that and move to Xbox 4

Isn't it even 599$ too low for Zen and the other stuff expected? Looking to the Spencer way to lead the Xbox division, he seems more inclined toward the 'conservative' approach than to the riskier.

Microsoft can easily get Zen and Vega inside Scorpio and sell it for $449.99-$499.99

It's a simple matter of will it be available in time for their launch window.

They'd be using lower end Zen chips, not the more expensive, high end versions with SMT, so that already covers the price concern. Not to mention, companies like Microsoft don't pay retail consumer prices for these things in the first place, so nobody should be looking at how expensive Zen based processors could be for consumers and somehow try to apply that to the end cost of Scorpio. It won't work that way. The size and power efficiency would make it possible for Microsoft to also end up getting the overall SoC to be equal to or less than the size of the original Xbox One SoC, at the same TDP as the original Xbox One give or take a few watts in either direction.

I wonder how they are going to brush the weak CPU under the carpet come E3, after all the forum hullabaloo?

Of course it won't matter to Joe public, knowing it's the best console hardware on the market will be good enough for them. But the forums and the click generator journalists will be all in a tizzy.

I guess MS will just highlight the good stuff, then point people to 60fps Forza 7 when anyone mentions the Jaguar hamster wheel mkII.

I wonder how they are going to brush the weak CPU under the carpet come E3, after all the forum hullabaloo?

Of course it won't matter to Joe public, knowing it's the best console hardware on the market will be good enough for them. But the forums and the click generator journalists will be all in a tizzy.

I guess MS will just highlight the good stuff, then point people to 60fps Forza 7 when anyone mentions the Jaguar hamster wheel mkII.

If the GPU delivers as hoped in real world performance for games, it really won't matter if it isn't Zen. Zen isn't needed for this console. It's desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom