• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Nintendo Switch 4-Game Analysis!

Fake

Digital Foundry loves Switch, and in this special presentation John takes a look at four new games - three impressive indie releases plus analysis on the Switch port of Firewatch, a title that's received plenty of requests for coverage.

Summary:
- Four games get love: Firewatch, Octahedron, Travis Strikes Again, Battle Princess Madelyn.
- Firewatch runs at native 720p in dock mode, while in portable run at 480p using a dynamic resolution.
- 720p plus AA solution Firewatch looks a bit blurry in a large screen.
- 60 fps for the Suda game.

Last edited:
We all love the Switch! Switch is awesome.

giphy.gif

Also, I didn’t know Firewach made it to Switch

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Some interesting look games, which I believe fits Jon like a glove. Can't say this octa is charming for me though. The game looks too bright and flashy to me, as if it needs to attract attention.

But its a very interesting video.

How can the Switch run a game like Skyrim in 720 and then run Firewatch at 480? Come the hell on.

firewatch isn't optimized the greatest, i believe it is using the unity engine

i had frequent frame drops/stuttering when i played through it on my last PC (4690k and 980ti)

it's the type of game where minor performance hiccups don't ruin the experience though

#Phonepunk#

Banned
nice video. Battle Princess looks really cool! might have to pick that one up. from what they showed, it had gorgeous artwork.

played some Firewatch on a friend's Switch last weekend. it plays pretty well.

Last edited:

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Some interesting look games, which I believe fits Jon like a glove. Can't say this octa is charming for me though. The game looks too bright and flashy to me, as if it needs to attract attention.

But its a very interesting video.
I definitely know what you mean but it’s really well designed. Would be great to play no matter the visual style. Since it was made by one guy, I think that style makes a lot of sense.

Fake

I definitely know what you mean but it’s really well designed. Would be great to play no matter the visual style. Since it was made by one guy, I think that style makes a lot of sense.
When I heard of this game have being made by one guy I given him a credit.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
When I heard of this game have being made by one guy I given him a credit.

every time i see a game made by one guy, i'm thinking, dang, i need to make a game! Stardew Valley was also by one guy.

it would rule beyond time to make a game that ends up on a real Nintendo system tho. life goals.

Fbh

How can the Switch run a game like Skyrim in 720 and then run Firewatch at 480? Come the hell on.

I think in this particular case it's really the game and not the console that is to blame.
Firewatch ran like crap on Ps4 too (at least at launch, no idea how it's doing now)

Fake

I think in this particular case it's really the game and not the console that is to blame.
Firewatch ran like crap on Ps4 too (at least at launch, no idea how it's doing now)
Still not 100% solid I'm afraid.

HeresJohnny

Oh I’m totally not blaming the hardware, I just think it’s ridiculous that the system can run Skyrim, which is basically an entire world on a cartridge, yet a walking sim has trouble. It’s embarrassing for the developer.

Saber

Gold Member

I totally agree. Its my only critic about this game, and even so it looks fun to play.

Last edited:
Indie games need more exposure. I've been playing exclusively on Switch since late 2018 so I hope DF makes more of this.

TLZ

Banned
Thanks to this video, now I want to play Battle Princess Madelyn. Didn't know it existed.

I'd love a physical copy of it too.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Thanks to this video, now I want to play Battle Princess Madelyn. Didn't know it existed.

I'd love a physical copy of it too.
There’s a physical copy available in certain Asian territories right now. That’s what I was using for this video!

TLZ

Banned
There’s a physical copy available in certain Asian territories right now. That’s what I was using for this video!
I've had a look and found it on Play Asia. Just the Japanese version though, but it has English subs so I guess I'll be ok.

I like the idea of having more than one game per video for the lesser known/smaller ones. Allows for some hidden gems to be known, like this one. I hope you continue this.

Top Bottom