• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: PlayStation 4 Pro Review: The First 4K Games Console?

Wait, so for the Pro, devs can just lazily upscale, not take advantage of the checker boarding or additional power at all and essentially make everything into what would be considered lazy remasters with simple res bumps ? If a bunch of games do that it would be such a waste.

So Uncharted 4 isn't even 4k/checkerboarding right ? What did they do for UC4 for the Pro then ? They made it 1440p and 1080 for MP and called it a day ? That's really surprising and disappointing.

Come on, Uncharted 4 is a technical masterpiece. It's insane what they did.
The word Lazy should never be associated with Naughty Dog. Or with any other dev for that matter.

jett

D-Member
Wait, so for the Pro, devs can just lazily upscale, not take advantage of the checker boarding or additional power at all and essentially make everything into what would be considered lazy remasters with simple res bumps ? If a bunch of games do that it would be such a waste.

So Uncharted 4 isn't even 4k/checkerboarding right ? What did they do for UC4 for the Pro then ? They made it 1440p and 1080 for MP and called it a day ? That's really surprising and disappointing.

Well, it's not really a lazy upscale. 1440p has more "native" pixels than the checkerboard 1800p many games use. I guess 1.- ND liked how a regular upscale looked better and 2.- Not enough power for checkerboard 2160p. UC4 still has framedrops on the PS4 Pro as it is.

What is kinda lame is that they made no further graphical improvements to the game, even stuff like motion blur which I believe is a GPU bound effect.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
For HDR and 4K you need to select YUV instead on the PS4 pro output settings.

For 60 FPS, RGB will work for 4K HDR at 30 FPS

You say this as if increasing a game's resolution from 1080p to 1440p and adding HDR is no big deal. It would be nice if they can take advantage of checkerboading, but considering they also released a patch for TLOU with a range of options, it's extremely harsh to suggest they are lazy.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I'd imagine he's saying that Xbox One S likely gives an average of 1fps improvement to performance, so the "no Pro improvement on unpatched games" isn't much loss.

The "1fps" is an estimate, but probably a good one. Digital Foundry only found an average of 2.3 fps improvements across the games they tested, and that's when focusing on titles most likely to see a bump. And they had a real outlier in Project Cars, too. Knock that off their list, and the remaining games only averaged 1.4 fps gains.
Yeah. DF mainly was seeing some frame pacing issues resolved. It's a system with a mild overclock. It's nothing against the system, but the expectations vs reality are getting kinda... Screwy.

Mabufu

Banned
For 60 FPS, RGB will work for 4K HDR at 30 FPS

You say this as if increasing a game's resolution from 1080p to 1440p and adding HDR is no big deal. It would be nice if they can take advantage of checkerboading, but considering they also released a patch for TLOU with a range of options, it's extremely harsh to suggest they are lazy.

Mmm... HDR maybe.
¿Changing resolution? Not so much of a deal.

I mean, I dont want to speak as if I knew more than ND, but just upping a bit the resolution doesnt seem like everything a 2.3x more powerful GPU can do.

I would bet my neck there's still room for more 1080p improvements.

-griffy-

Banned
Mmm... HDR maybe.
¿Changing resolution? Not so much of a deal.

I mean, I dont want to speak as if I knew more than ND, but just upping a bit the resolution doesnt seem like everything a 2.3x more powerful GPU can do.

I would bet my neck there's still room for more 1080p improvements.

Adding resolution uses more GPU power. The difference between something like Uncharted 4 and something like Tomb Raider is that Tomb Raider already had a PC version with higher fidelity effects that they could pull from to add to the Pro version at 1080p. Uncharted 4 is a PS4 game with a set fidelity for the effects for that one version of the game. It would presumably be more work to create and add stuff to Uncharted 4 compared to Tomb Raider where stuff already existed.

Occam

Anybody use a external hard drive with USB 3.0 to transfer over their files instead of a ethernet cable yet? USB 3.0 should be much much faster right? I have a external HD and was just wondering if that's the method I should choose instead of connecting the PS4's together whenever I get my Pro.

Yes, I intend to do create a backup using a USB 3.0 hdd today or tomorrow. It's how I did it when I installed a 2TB drive into my regular PS4, too.

FWIW, I just created a full backup using a 1TB USB 3.0 hdd (deleted a couple of disc installs to make it fit). ~900GB took about 6 hours to back up.

Edit: That means transfer speed was about 40MB/s

DOWN

Banned
So we are sure the BF1 Pro upgrades weren't already on the disc? Other games had been patched before its release and day one patch

DBT85

So I downloaded the hige quality free video from Digital Foundry last night and just watched it.

Only watching on a 30" 2560x1600 monitor mind and from about 2 feet away.

Tomb Raider looked great. In comparison to the PC on its best settings, the Pro version deffo has lower textures and overall sharpness. However, when looking at the Pro version only, the only issue I saw at all while pausing at various stages was the birds. When in flight high above, they look weird and ... well it just looks weird. Also when they fly out from the cliff face as you approach, when paused they again look weird, but in motion they are fine.

I was quite surprised, for some reason I kind of expected another article today talking about more games or whatever.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I definitely expected more than 6 videos this long after the embargo ended. Nobody out there with a Pro has a copy of NBA 2K17? The game is native 4K/60 and hasn't been put through it's paces yet?

chaosaeon

Yes, but rumour goes they are coming with a bigger patch later.

And please, Uncharted 4 is one of the most beautiful games ever. ND deserves more credit.
Oh I'm not debating the technical prowess of the studio, I'm just surprised UC4 isn't going to be using the best options available as both an exclusive and an already stunning looking game to showcase the Pro by comparing it to the regular PS4 visuals. The comparison of the Pro version VS standard PS4 would be improved if it were using the checker boarding that's been talked about so much wouldn't it ? If a later patch is coming that'd be great.

Come on, Uncharted 4 is a technical masterpiece. It's insane what they did.
The word Lazy should never be associated with Naughty Dog. Or with any other dev for that matter.
My use of "lazy" was not directed towards ND but rather to devs that would take the quicker and easier way to 4K through upscaling and not bother with checker boarding or other features in future releases. Didn't Cerny say its implementation would not require a tremendous amount of work ?

Well, it's not really a lazy upscale. 1440p has more "native" pixels than the checkerboard 1800p many games use. I guess 1.- ND liked how a regular upscale looked better and 2.- Not enough power for checkerboard 2160p. UC4 still has framedrops on the PS4 Pro as it is.

What is kinda lame is that they made no further graphical improvements to the game, even stuff like motion blur which I believe is a GPU bound effect.
Yeah I agree that's disappointing to see no other enhancements, unless there is actually another patch coming later.
Yeah there may have been issues preventing them from doing if they did actually run into limitations in power.

Wasn't calling ND lazy, just referring to other devs in the future that might pass on implementing it or other graphical upgrades for the Pro in favor of just upscaling their games. Upcoming games with Pro enhancements that are just an upscale would be pretty disappointing.

TLZ

Banned
if your TV supports 4K+60fps+HDR+4:4:4, yes.

But keep in mind the 4:4:4 increases the input lag on some TVs.

My TV, KS8000, supports that but adds 15ms input lag according to rtings.

It's a high-end 2015 Sony so I'm fairly certain it does, I'll check RTings though, thanks.

Edit: From the RTings review of my TV

Looks like I'm covered :) Full RGB + Game mode seems to be the way to go.

That's if i doesn't support 4K @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 AFAIK, mine does.
RGB will use 8bit. YUV hdr10.

Electret

Hopefully there is another UC4 patch down the road that addresses motion blur and shadow quality. Or, maybe these are addressed once the DLC drops - either just as part of the DLC or via backporting to the main game.

Sorry to bump this thread but I don't know where else to post this.

So I have been playing Uncharted 4 on the Pro, and there's definitely a framerate improvement. I replayed some of the encounters that really stressed the base PS4, and my findings were quite positive. Maybe Digital Foundry should take another look at UC4 because it performs better than the OG model; both single player and multiplayer.

DBT85

Sorry to bump this thread but I don't know where else to post this.

So I have been playing Uncharted 4 on the Pro, and there's definitely a framerate improvement. I replayed some of the encounters that really stressed the base PS4, and my findings were quite positive. Maybe Digital Foundry should take another look at UC4 because it performs better than the OG model; both single player and multiplayer.

I think they said they were going to do a side by side comparison with the framerate to see if the same things cause the same drops or not.

Top Bottom